Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bruce Irvin

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    I read last week that Courtney Upshaw is not going to start
    Melvin Ingram had a few sacks, but got banged up
    Chandler Jones has been off to a great start
    Coples has been very good for the Jets

It seems like you are seeing a lot of positive reports from the DEs drafted, I've heard not so good things about Poe and Irvin.
    Is Chandler Jones actually doing great? or is everyone giving him good grades cuz hes on the Pats?

Confirmation is a bit much, and I'm not sure there's a way to comapre how he's been when comapred to Jones and Ingram, other than to say that all three have been shown to be "starter quality" so far. Irvin strikes me as a different kind of player, and Poe as a washout isn't a big surprise in his rookie season, but there's no reason to write of a DT in his rookie season, they often take more time to adjust to the NFL game.

I just want Coples to get that first sack early, just to get it out of the way.
    agreed
    that is why i put "" around it...
    confirmation he is not another VG2

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by NPTJET53 View Post
    Is Chandler Jones actually doing great? or is everyone giving him good grades cuz hes on the Pats?
    No, I've watched him a bit. He's actually doing a nice job getting pressure, iirc.

I have my doubts, I thought that they "Liked" Irvin, not necessairly at 16. As in, if he was around at 48, the Jets would have gotten him, or maybe they would have moved up in round 2 if he was still around.
    I wouldn't have those doubts. This is the same GM that was going to draft Ducasse in the first round.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    No, I've watched him a bit. He's actually doing a nice job getting pressure, iirc.
    I think Jones is over-hyped. He has gotten some pressure but he is invisible for long stretches and he is bad against the run. QC is complete, he destroys the run and the QB. I'm thrilled with QC.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsOptimist View Post
    I think Jones is over-hyped. He has gotten some pressure but he is invisible for long stretches and he is bad against the run. QC is complete, he destroys the run and the QB. I'm thrilled with QC.
    Oh, I'm all about Coples. No doubt. I'm just saying his hype isn't pats related.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    Rumor is Tannenbaum would have chosen Irvin, if Irvin was still there. Not sure how accurate that is, but that would have been bad. Coples is two and half years younger, more versatile, and just a better prospect.
    Not only that, but if you thought Coples had character issues, this guy makes Coples look like a choir boy

Could definitely see Coples getting 5-6 sacks this year.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by NPTJET53 View Post
    He's pretty good.

He doesn't really explode off the ball, but man he is STRONG. Guy has a great bull rush and I saw him do a nice "rip" move a few times.

I still like Coples more. But I'm biased...I'm not only a Jets fan, but I'm a UNC grad. Coples is our Justin Tuck.

We should wait until they start the real games and at least halfway into the season before we say that this player is playing well or not. Jones might turn out to be a bust. Same with Ingram and Coples. And Irvin may turn out to be great. Aldon Smith didn't really heat things up until the second half of the season last year in San Fran.

All League
    Irvin is also semi retarded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TFrQFps79k

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by First DOWN! View Post
    We should wait until they start the real games and at least halfway into the season before we say that this player is playing well or not. Jones might turn out to be a bust. Same with Ingram and Coples. And Irvin may turn out to be great. Aldon Smith didn't really heat things up until the second half of the season last year in San Fran.
    Somewhat true. We're just going off initial impressions. As for Coples, I watched him all through college before the Jets. He is going to be legit and an absolute terror for guards on passing downs.

But Aldon Smith did have 6.5 of his 14 sacks in the first half of the season

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    When I was watching him play, he looked small and didn't impress me at all. He couldn't get any pressure and looked outmatched size wise.
    Really? I felt the exact opposite.

I've watched SEA's games out here and Irvin was all over the field. I mean, he's got to work to do - but i was impressed with the push he was getting. Saw him lots in the backfield, and chasing down players. He'll be showing up on the stats sheets soon enough.

I think you guys are jumping to some pretty foggy conclusions.

Veteran
    I read last week that Courtney Upshaw is not going to start
    Melvin Ingram had a few sacks, but got banged up
    Chandler Jones has been off to a great start
    Coples has been very good for the Jets

It seems like you are seeing a lot of positive reports from the DEs drafted, I've heard not so good things about Poe and Irvin.
    This follows the comment made by "an unnamed NFL personnel source" that the only 2 NFL caliber DE/OLB prospects in the 1st round were Chandler Jones and Quinton Coples.

I saw several posts during the draft that were busting on Coples' pick over this guy.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    He's fast, but he has one pass-rush move which is the speed rush. We already have this guy in Aaron Maybin, and we didn't have to use a top 15 pick to get him. So glad we ended up with Coples and not Irvin.
    +1 And then some.

Coples is the goods.

They were not considering him at 16

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    Link?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    Rumor is Tannenbaum would have chosen Irvin, if Irvin was still there. Not sure how accurate that is, but that would have been bad. Coples is two and half years younger, more versatile, and just a better prospect.
    That was a false rumor started by Seattle when they were universally destroyed by the press for reaching for Irvin. It was uniformly denied by the Jets, FWIW.

All Pro
    Preseason doesn't mean much but 4.5 sacks in 4 games is a pretty good start.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    Link?
    That was reported by multiple sources that the Jets were not taking Irvin at 16. The Jets were interested in Irvin in a TRADE BACK scenario as they were entertaining offers. In fact, that was why there was a delay in handing the up the Coples pick. Throughout the time Seattle was on the clock, the Jets were in trade discussions with a couple of teams about trading back. They're board shaped out a certain way for that scenario, but when Irvin was taken by Seattle, the Jets feared that the 3 guys that they would target in a tradeback scenario (Irvin being one of them) would not be there. That's why they took Coples.