Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: Ron Rivera - Dirty reputation?

  1. #1
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,738
    Post Thanks / Like

    Ron Rivera - Dirty reputation?

    After watching last Sunday night's game, I couldn't help but wonder if Ron Rivera has had a reputation in the past, when he was a DC, as a guy who might have bordered on the side of "dirty."

    There were way too many dirty plays on the part of the Carolina defense for my liking.

    Of course, the biggest one being the hit on Josh Baker's knee.

    The second being an almost-spear of Mark Sanchez by the same guy (#24) as Sanchez was going down on his scramble to the 4 yard line.

    The third being the pick in the flat on David Harris which I think resulted in his sprained ankle.

    The fourth being the pick on Josh Bush near the EZ in which Bush was layed out flat by a crossing receiver.

    The fifth, and I don't know if anyone caught this, was a leg whip/trip by one of their DL as one of our RB's (I can't recall if it was Greene or Powell) was running through a hole in the line. I could not believe a flag wasn't thrown on that play.

    Anyway, these 5 plays had me wondering about Rivera's reputation. Or could it be DC Sean McDermott, who I know very little about. Just wondering if anyone knows about either of these two guys.

    By the way, if I was Rex or Tanny, I would have at least sent a tape of that hit on Baker to the league for review coupled with #24's attempted projectile hit on Sanchez as evidence of #24's intent. That dude should at least be fined, if not suspended IMO.

  2. #2
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    South Bound Brook
    Posts
    1,894
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    After watching last Sunday night's game, I couldn't help but wonder if Ron Rivera has had a reputation in the past, when he was a DC, as a guy who might have bordered on the side of "dirty."

    There were way too many dirty plays on the part of the Carolina defense for my liking.

    Of course, the biggest one being the hit on Josh Baker's knee.

    The second being an almost-spear of Mark Sanchez by the same guy (#24) as Sanchez was going down on his scramble to the 4 yard line.

    The third being the pick in the flat on David Harris which I think resulted in his sprained ankle.

    The fourth being the pick on Josh Bush near the EZ in which Bush was layed out flat by a crossing receiver.

    The fifth, and I don't know if anyone caught this, was a leg whip/trip by one of their DL as one of our RB's (I can't recall if it was Greene or Powell) was running through a hole in the line. I could not believe a flag wasn't thrown on that play.

    Anyway, these 5 plays had me wondering about Rivera's reputation. Or could it be DC Sean McDermott, who I know very little about. Just wondering if anyone knows about either of these two guys.

    By the way, if I was Rex or Tanny, I would have at least sent a tape of that hit on Baker to the league for review coupled with #24's attempted projectile hit on Sanchez as evidence of #24's intent. That dude should at least be fined, if not suspended IMO.
    If the real refs were there none of this would have happened. They magically police the game preventing such atrocities from occurring.

  3. #3
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,738
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    If the real refs were there none of this would have happened. They magically police the game preventing such atrocities from occurring.
    That's a good point and I thought that as well as I was watching all of this crap. When you've even got Collinsworth pointing out most of these plays, you know something's wrong.

    But the refs don't exonerate what the Panthers players did.

    Calls or no calls, these plays were dirty. And that's the premise of this thread.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    296
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    That's a good point and I thought that as well as I was watching all of this crap. When you've even got Collinsworth pointing out most of these plays, you know something's wrong.

    But the refs don't exonerate what the Panthers players did.

    Calls or no calls, these plays were dirty. And that's the premise of this thread.
    I've never heard anything said about Rivera's defenses in SD or Chicago being dirty or even chippy. Always aggressive, yes, but I don't think he has a reputation of encouraging dirty play.

    But, I do agree, there were some borderline dirty hits in that preseason game.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    296
    Post Thanks / Like
    Imagine however, the national uproar you would have heard if it was a Jets player delivering those dirty hits in a preseason game...

    Or, if it was a Jets player who took out a full page ad in the local news paper "guaranteeing" a Jets Superbowl win...

    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...n-newspaper-ad

    The local and national media would have had a field day with this stuff.

    But...Carolina Panthers...no mention whatsoever on national TV or radio.

  6. #6
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Westchester Co.
    Posts
    37,924
    Post Thanks / Like
    interesting Jordy...didn't Sanchez also have his face "mushed in the dirt" after sliding on a scramble? I thought the QB was untouchable after he gives himself up?

  7. #7
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,738
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    interesting Jordy...didn't Sanchez also have his face "mushed in the dirt" after sliding on a scramble? I thought the QB was untouchable after he gives himself up?
    I don't recall seeing that JW. But I do recall Wilkerson giving Newton a gentle "facial" with his elbow.

    If someone had a gif of either, that would be great.

  8. #8
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    16,710
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    I don't recall seeing that JW. But I do recall Wilkerson giving Newton a gentle "facial" with his elbow.

    If someone had a gif of either, that would be great.


  9. #9
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,738
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    Hmm. That's not the one I was referring to but that's good too. LOL.

    The one I saw, both were on the ground and Wilkerson used his forearm/elbow on Newton's face to help himself up.

  10. #10
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    819
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    After watching last Sunday night's game, I couldn't help but wonder if Ron Rivera has had a reputation in the past, when he was a DC, as a guy who might have bordered on the side of "dirty."

    There were way too many dirty plays on the part of the Carolina defense for my liking.

    Of course, the biggest one being the hit on Josh Baker's knee.

    The second being an almost-spear of Mark Sanchez by the same guy (#24) as Sanchez was going down on his scramble to the 4 yard line.

    The third being the pick in the flat on David Harris which I think resulted in his sprained ankle.

    The fourth being the pick on Josh Bush near the EZ in which Bush was layed out flat by a crossing receiver.

    The fifth, and I don't know if anyone caught this, was a leg whip/trip by one of their DL as one of our RB's (I can't recall if it was Greene or Powell) was running through a hole in the line. I could not believe a flag wasn't thrown on that play.

    Anyway, these 5 plays had me wondering about Rivera's reputation. Or could it be DC Sean McDermott, who I know very little about. Just wondering if anyone knows about either of these two guys.

    By the way, if I was Rex or Tanny, I would have at least sent a tape of that hit on Baker to the league for review coupled with #24's attempted projectile hit on Sanchez as evidence of #24's intent. That dude should at least be fined, if not suspended IMO.


    BUDDY RYAN Player so YEAH !!!!!

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    296
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Hmm. That's not the one I was referring to but that's good too. LOL.

    The one I saw, both were on the ground and Wilkerson used his forearm/elbow on Newton's face to help himself up.
    I remember that play too...the commentators even called attention to it and they ran a replay.

    It wasn't "dirty" per say...but it was definitely done on purpose and meant to send a message.

    I have no problem with those kind of things. Those are meant to intimidate, not injure.

    One could argue that the hit on Baker in the endzone was meant to injure.

  12. #12
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,738
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Crable View Post
    I remember that play too...the commentators even called attention to it and they ran a replay.

    It wasn't "dirty" per say...but it was definitely done on purpose and meant to send a message.

    I have no problem with those kind of things. Those are meant to intimidate, not injure.

    One could argue that the hit on Baker in the endzone was meant to injure.
    No doubt. Especially when you combine it with his obvious intent to injure Sanchez later on.

    Seems like I'm the only one here who noticed that.

  13. #13
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    16,710
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    No doubt. Especially when you combine it with his obvious intent to injure Sanchez later on.

    Seems like I'm the only one here who noticed that.
    no, you're not.

    Baker got high-lowed by the Carolina defenders and the guy who went "low" had no reason to do so, other than to get a cheap shot in. i'm sure the dude didn't mean to wreck Baker's knee in the process, but it was definitely a dirty hit.

    the hit on Sanchez was much in the same vein, Sanchez was already sliding/down and this dude just launched himself at him.

  14. #14
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    16,506
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good thread Jordy, try not to derail this one...

    You raise good points though, I especially didn't like the hit by the DB on Baker, but I understood why he went for it, to break up the completion, that is his job.

    I echo the sentiment raised by funaz, these scab refs are brutal, the NFL better wake up and get this **** resolved, I already have enough problem with the refs..

    Then again, there is a part of me that wonders how things will be without the preferential treatment always given to players like Brady. I kind of chuckled watching the Pats/Giants game last night, Cheatichick isn't used to having to deal with objective if not awful officiating, he usually has them in his back pocket, he spent a lot of time on the field last night with the refs.

    Anyway, not sure if Rivera is dirty, but I agree with you, their was an element in their play the other night.

    I'll say this though, the Jets dished out some of their own, the commentators caught some of the "business" guys like Wilkerson was giving Newton.

    And BTW, the Jets thoroughly beat up that Carolina offense, which have been media darlings of late, it's astonishing how the Jets haven't gotten enough credit for the way they played them on Sunday. Newton for the first time to me seemed lost, confused, and a bit intimidated.

  15. #15
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,880
    Post Thanks / Like
    Harris sprained his ankle on that spectacular ILB crossing pattern blitz. I think he tripped over an OL

  16. #16
    Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    27,212
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    That's a beautiful sight Love Wilkerson, he's going to have a big year I think

  17. #17
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Amsterdam, NL
    Posts
    128
    Post Thanks / Like
    Only preseason and we are whining about the refs and dirty plays already. We're only running a vinnilla offense remember?

  18. #18
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,738
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tai-Mai-Shu View Post
    Only preseason and we are whining about the refs and dirty plays already. We're only running a vinnilla offense remember?
    So, in your world, it's okay to play dirty in the preseason?

  19. #19
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Amsterdam, NL
    Posts
    128
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    So, in your world, it's okay to play dirty in the preseason?
    I didn't say it was ok. I just don't see why they want to play dirty in a meaningless preseason game. Maybe it seem that way because the Jets were running a vanilla offense?

  20. #20
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,112
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    So, in your world, it's okay to play dirty in the preseason?
    Not in my view but there was a discussion on ESPN yesterday (I think) about how they expected most coaches to have players cross the line to test how much the replacement refs will catch.

    Might have been Mangini talking about it.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us