Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 141

Thread: So what are you *****es doing for Labor Day Weekend, *****es?

  1. #41
    Bewildered Beast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    30,424
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    Is there a better song to smoke weed to than Cowgirl in the Sand?

    If there is, I don't know about it.
    I like Down by the RIver; but yes I can agree.

    Actually, Lucky Man is a great tune when everyone is blotto. Everybody loves to join in on the chorus. We've played that for 10 minutes at times.

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    I have a hard time playing jazz on a folk box. It's all Beatles, Zep, Neil Young, 70's stuff; Stones. After 2+ hours of paddling, canoers are shocked how good it sounds. Really what it is is there is no real need for equalization; not a bad reverb anywhere. The acoustic sounds like a Marshall stack when I stand next to that wall on my river-level deck.

    Post something? my top end for swing is about 200 (Four on Six)...how about a nice and easy Solar?

    Here's some ideas I have sketched out in my recording software:

    Eric Johnson playing "My Favorite Things" (mostly Emin Pentatonic; go figure)

    Billy Gibbons using a slide to play the melody to Coltrane's "Equinox" - maybe solo

    Garry Moore playing melody and lead to Mongo Santamaria's "Afro Blue" - I just need to mix it down

    Paul Gilbert-style lead to "Mr. PC"

    One of our well-read posters gave me the inspiration to write "Single Malt"; about a polished narcissist that enjoys the finest life has to offer; but always ends up single in the end. Always a single malt; they'll never blend.
    LOL. Awesome.

  3. #43
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    24,086
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    I like Down by the RIver; but yes I can agree.
    Dude, i almost mentioned that with Cowgirl, seriously.

    Then perhaps Cortez the Killer.

  4. #44
    Bewildered Beast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    30,424
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    Dude, i almost mentioned that with Cowgirl, seriously.

    Then perhaps Cortez the Killer.
    Dude.

  5. #45
    Bewildered Beast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    30,424
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    LOL. Awesome.
    Ha ha ha; one of the reasons I don't post has to do with "If they don't like Steely Dan, what chance do I stand (to come out alive)?"

    Thank you for the kind word.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    Beautiful! Got a similar plan... heading to the brewery for (hopefully) a couple of cases Sat at 11am, Prohibition Pig for lunch, driving through the Notch, swimming hole in Johnson, then the new Rock Art brewery in MoVegas, with a few old haunts along the way.
    I heard a good line from my buddy about Heady Topper, "It's the greatest 4 pack you shouldn't finish". It's just sooo tasty- gets me tipsy in a hurry

  7. #47
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    great midwest -well not so great
    Posts
    8,955
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    A Nebraskan gets his first indoor bathroom. You'll love it.
    b
    o
    d
    o
    t
    s


    just sayin....

  8. #48
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    39,968
    Quote Originally Posted by Peebag View Post
    Life sucks. I'll be angry and frustrated and sweaty.
    soUTHSIDE?

    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    Is there a better song to smoke weed to than Cowgirl in the Sand?

    If there is, I don't know about it.
    Harvest Moon. If I smoked weed. Which I doont.


    -

  9. #49
    i'll be somehwere doing something...

  10. #50
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    24,086
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Beautiful! Got a similar plan... heading to the brewery for (hopefully) a couple of cases Sat at 11am, Prohibition Pig for lunch, driving through the Notch, swimming hole in Johnson, then the new Rock Art brewery in MoVegas, with a few old haunts along the way.
    I heard a good line from my buddy about Heady Topper, "It's the greatest 4 pack you shouldn't finish". It's just sooo tasty- gets me tipsy in a hurry
    OK. Listen to me very closely. If you are a real IPA fan, you must go to the Hill Farmstead Brewery. If you are going as far as the Rock Art Brewery, it's not that much farther (30 to 40 minutes). BTW, Rock Art is pretty meh, but worth a visit and it's on the way to Hill Farmstead.

    They don't bottle their IPA's, you can only get it at a handful of bars or from growlers at the Brewery. Prohibition Pig, Blackback and the Reservoir in Waterbury all carry it - but go to the brewery. It's not that far out of the way. I see they have their Abner Imperial Ale, that's the one you want.

    Get the Heady Topper as early as possible. They've been selling out at the brewery on Saturdays. And this weekend will be a zoo.

    Seriously, that should be your number one priority. If you want directions or have any questions, pm me.

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    Is there a better song to smoke weed to than Cowgirl in the Sand?

    If there is, I don't know about it.
    excellent choice...Magical Mystery Tour is also mysteriously magical with da cheeba...

  12. #52
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,383
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    I have a hard time playing jazz on a folk box. It's all Beatles, Zep, Neil Young, 70's stuff; Stones. After 2+ hours of paddling, canoers are shocked how good it sounds. Really what it is is there is no real need for equalization; not a bad reverb anywhere. The acoustic sounds like a Marshall stack when I stand next to that wall on my river-level deck.

    Post something? my top end for swing is about 200 (Four on Six)...how about a nice and easy Solar?

    Here's some ideas I have sketched out in my recording software:

    Eric Johnson playing "My Favorite Things" (mostly Emin Pentatonic; go figure)

    Billy Gibbons using a slide to play the melody to Coltrane's "Equinox" - maybe solo

    Garry Moore playing melody and lead to Mongo Santamaria's "Afro Blue" - I just need to mix it down

    Paul Gilbert-style lead to "Mr. PC"

    One of our well-read posters gave me the inspiration to write "Single Malt"; about a polished narcissist that enjoys the finest life has to offer; but always ends up single in the end. Always a single malt; they'll never blend.
    I skipped ahead and saw your LUCKY MAN post. I expect more from you. that's the song I show beginners. Forget jazz... I hear and see your set up.

    Hers a sample in my view... I play all of these acoustic, sound great.

    Story in your eyes
    Summer of 69
    Part of the plan -Fogelberg
    Cuts like a knife
    barely breathing
    Two of us

    Would love to hear it.

    What do you play acoustic? Ie. I play a Taylor 810

  13. #53
    Bewildered Beast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    30,424
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    I skipped ahead and saw your LUCKY MAN post. I expect more from you. that's the song I show beginners. Forget jazz... I hear and see your set up.

    Hers a sample in my view... I play all of these acoustic, sound great.

    Story in your eyes
    Summer of 69
    Part of the plan -Fogelberg
    Cuts like a knife
    barely breathing
    Two of us

    Would love to hear it.

    What do you play acoustic? Ie. I play a Taylor 810
    old takamine with solid spruce top.

    With the acoustic:

    Norwegian Wood
    And Your Bird Can Sing (but you don't...get...meeee)
    Across the Universe
    Happiness is a Warm Gun
    Kashmir
    The Ocean
    Nobody's Fault But Mine
    Ten Years Gone
    The Rover into Living Loving Maid
    Heart of Gold
    Old Man
    I Feel Fine
    Boys Are Back In Town
    Fingerprint File
    Hand of Fate
    Wild Horses
    Dead Flowers
    Lets Spend the NIght together
    Everyday I write the book (Elvis)


    G TUNING
    All Down the Line
    Honky Tonk Wimmens
    In My Time of Dying
    Can't you Hear Me Knocking
    *


    So What
    Four On Six
    Solar
    Half Nelson
    Freddie Freeloader
    Equinox
    Mr. PC
    Speak No Evil
    Lazy Bird
    Moment's Notice

  14. #54
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    24,086
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    old takamine with solid spruce top.

    With the acoustic:

    Norwegian Wood
    And Your Bird Can Sing (but you don't...get...meeee)
    Across the Universe
    Happiness is a Warm Gun
    Kashmir
    The Ocean
    Nobody's Fault But Mine
    Ten Years Gone
    The Rover into Living Loving Maid
    Heart of Gold
    Old Man
    I Feel Fine
    Boys Are Back In Town
    Fingerprint File
    Hand of Fate
    Wild Horses
    Dead Flowers
    Lets Spend the NIght together
    Everyday I write the book (Elvis)


    G TUNING
    All Down the Line
    Honky Tonk Wimmens
    In My Time of Dying
    Can't you Hear Me Knocking
    *


    So What
    Four On Six
    Solar
    Half Nelson
    Freddie Freeloader
    Equinox
    Mr. PC
    Speak No Evil
    Lazy Bird
    Moment's Notice
    With the acoustic, you should get in

    The Needle and Damage done (not hard)
    The Rain Song (D G C G C D tuning)

  15. #55
    Bewildered Beast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    30,424
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    With the acoustic, you should get in

    The Needle and Damage done (not hard)
    The Rain Song (D G C G C D tuning)
    The Needle is too plaintive; depressing...he hangs on that Junkie setting sun thing.
    Is that the tuning? G Tuning is D/A/D/G/A/D. I have seen the Rain Song in A tuning; and I play it with standard tuning and move voices though the G chord. There's that tricky pedal steel lick in there; which turns it around back to the top.

  16. #56
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    24,086
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    The Needle is too plaintive; depressing...he hangs on that Junkie setting sun thing.
    Is that the tuning? G Tuning is D/A/D/G/A/D. I have seen the Rain Song in A tuning; and I play it with standard tuning and move voices though the G chord. There's that tricky pedal steel lick in there; which turns it around back to the top.
    I believe that is the tuning I used. Sounded better to me.

  17. #57
    Bewildered Beast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    30,424
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    I believe that is the tuning I used. Sounded better to me.
    Didn't mean to put you on the spot. The C is a whole step down from the 5th (D); making it the 4th in a G tuning. Swapping the 3rd for a 4th = Sus chord; which means you are likely right on.

    Related: Page was saying he got his alt tunings from bands like Pentangle (Bert Jansch) and Fairport Convention (Sandy Denny, who is on "The Battle of Evermore" I believe). Never either of these bands; Page swore by them. You hear of 'em?

  18. #58
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    凸(⊙▂⊙✖ )
    Posts
    31,258
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    Dude, i almost mentioned that with Cowgirl, seriously.

    Then perhaps Cortez the Killer.
    No way man...too long and plodding for my tastes....

  19. #59
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,383
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    old takamine with solid spruce top.

    With the acoustic:

    Norwegian Wood
    And Your Bird Can Sing (but you don't...get...meeee)
    Across the Universe
    Happiness is a Warm Gun
    Kashmir
    The Ocean
    Nobody's Fault But Mine
    Ten Years Gone
    The Rover into Living Loving Maid
    Heart of Gold
    Old Man
    I Feel Fine
    Boys Are Back In Town
    Fingerprint File
    Hand of Fate
    Wild Horses
    Dead Flowers
    Lets Spend the NIght together
    Everyday I write the book (Elvis)


    G TUNING
    All Down the Line
    Honky Tonk Wimmens
    In My Time of Dying
    Can't you Hear Me Knocking
    *


    So What
    Four On Six
    Solar
    Half Nelson
    Freddie Freeloader
    Equinox
    Mr. PC
    Speak No Evil
    Lazy Bird
    Moment's Notice
    Awesome. that's quite a Zeppelin repertoire for an acoustic. I have always struggled with Norwegian wood. Any tips?

    Still remember the first time I played Moments notice. Sight read from the fake book. Loved it ever since.

  20. #60
    Bewildered Beast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    30,424
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Awesome. that's quite a Zeppelin repertoire for an acoustic. I have always struggled with Norwegian wood. Any tips?

    Still remember the first time I played Moments notice. Sight read from the fake book. Loved it ever since.
    It's D/C/G harmonically; The notes are a major scale from D/C/G...hmmmm this won't be easy

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us