Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Jets Cuts-August 31

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    The Texans cut undrafted rookie Jonathon Grimes.....

They liked the guy but apparently they are too deep at RB.

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2012/08/...nathan-grimes/

I saw him play against my alma mater last season. The guy is a work horse.
    What are his attributes? Is he a bruiser? Does he have speed? What can he do and bring to the team?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really can't stand Manish. First off he said the Jets released Harrison before, then when he was wrong Steiny I guess said something about it and he started threatening that kid through direct messages, which I believe because hes unprofessional and hes sent me some arrogant comments through direct message before.

I wish he would get fired.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    I really can't stand Manish. First off he said the Jets released Harrison before, then when he was wrong Steiny I guess said something about it and he started threatening that kid through direct messages, which I believe because hes unprofessional and hes sent me some arrogant comments through direct message before.

Ever since he got some stoolie malcontents, to help him splash his Jets lockerroom story. Manish now thinks of himself as a "star". Manish has degenerated into a Cimini wannabe. And hopes to cash in and land a ESPN/NFLN gig.

That's how he comes across to me.

I'd rather read Jenny Vrentas/Conor Orr of The Star-Ledger, or Brian Costello of the NY Post, over media whore Mehta.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post

Is this true? Im not in the twitter world so don't really have a sense of what goes on but is it really documented that one writer was threatening/intimidating another?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cannot believe we kept slow ass Turner over Jordan White.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    What did White do the past 6 weeks to make it over Turner? And White isn't much faster than Turner, if at all.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    yeah, I know....But a late 7th is the same as an UDFA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    lzThose knocking Schilens don't know the player. Yes, injuries have impacted his career from taking off, but this kid has very good ability, speed, size, physical, loves to block and CAN catch the ball.

Just go back and watch the games he did play in with the Raiders. We, myself included, give Raiders90210 a hard time, and while is way over the top, Schilens DOES have talent.

Adam Schein talked about it on a recent Jets Nation, the team loves his ability, yes, he's been hurt, but in training camp and the pre-season, you want these players healthy and ready for the regular season, and if there is one thing Rex and his staff do very well, is bring a player back correctly when injured, and they have a very good medical and training staff, they do it right, player doesn't come back until he's ready, even if it means extending that stay on the sidelines or in rehab.

Schilens is going to probably wind up starting with Holmes, and will rotate with Hill. If this kid stays healthy, he can play.

One thing that isn't getting talked about enough, last year's WR unit was filled with malcontents and players who wrecked the locker room. Holmes was part of it, but he was more upset about the offensive system, and the losing, players like Burress and earlier on, with Mason, they really regressed the WR unit, and I think that is a major reason why Burress wasn't brought back, it seems to me he was a cancer in the lockerroom, but he was on better behavior since it was his first year back, he didn't run routes hard, he wasn't a great practice player, he missed practices, he seemed more happy just being back on the field, than actually busting his ass to make a difference.

The difference with players in Hill and Schilens, these kids bring a LOT of high character, in addition to their ability, let's let this thing develop, I think the Jets WR's have the potential to be very good, they are young overall as a group, but they work, and Holmes seems to be enjoying his role as the veteran of the group and is committed to being a leader, even without the C on his chest, he's committed to this team and these young WR's, we just need to be a little patient.

Think about it, the talent this year, vs. last year...

Burress, 6'5, slow
    Holmes
    Kerley, a rookie
    Turner, not as developed

This year...

Holmes, committed, genuinely excited about the offense and Sparano
    Hill, rookie with elite upside, but raw, 6'5 4.2 40
    Schilens, still developing, fast, big, 6'4 4.3 40, strong, injuries have hurt
    Kerley, 2nd year, more polished, will be more effective, perfect slot WR
    Turner, seems to be more polished, more improved, great ST's player

I think the Jets could still add a 6th WR to the team, if not a RB, they want more speed, Demps would have been perfect but let's see how it plays out.

Well-said.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Well-said.
    Schilens is a bum and will be on IR before we know it. He wasn't worth keeping, even if he was a 5th WR

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Is this true? Im not in the twitter world so don't really have a sense of what goes on but is it really documented that one writer was threatening/intimidating another?
    Yes it is. Manish is VERY immature and thin skinned. He gets very defensive when people call him out on something. If you go back earlier in this thread you will see an article from Manish that reported guys who he said were cut that nobody else was reporting were released. People called him out on it because it was speculation at that point and he wrote a story as if it was fact already.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Turner is faster then Burress and is the same size as Plax. Burress caught how many TDs last year? He was a great red zone target. Why can't Turner be just as effective in the red zone? White was not exactly a speed merchant and was NOT much of a blocker. Turner is a great blocker as is Schilens. I think you might have read that the Jets are a Ground and Pound team? Now who do you think should be on the team when using logic rather then emotion.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Turner is faster then Burress and is the same size as Plax. Burress caught how many TDs last year? He was a great red zone target. Why can't Turner be just as effective in the red zone? White was not exactly a speed merchant and was NOT much of a blocker. Turner is a great blocker as is Schilens. I think you might have read that the Jets are a Ground and Pound team? Now who do you think should be on the team when using logic rather then emotion.
    So because someone is the same size and slightly faster we are to expect the same results?? Thats like saying that since Wayne Hunter is the same size as Damien Woody he should be able to get the same results as Woody.

Somehow your two statements in bold are incredibly ironic...LOL

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Yes it is. Manish is VERY immature and thin skinned. He gets very defensive when people call him out on something. If you go back earlier in this thread you will see an article from Manish that reported guys who he said were cut that nobody else was reporting were released. People called him out on it because it was speculation at that point and he wrote a story as if it was fact already.
    Interesting. I remember when he took over for Cimini and everyone thought he was all that and a side of slaw. Now it seems like everyone hates him and only Vrentas can do right. Personally, I never had the animus towards Cimini that most people do. He's not nearly as negative as ppl think and seems to have the most team contacts from his years around the team.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting. I remember when he took over for Cimini and everyone thought he was all that and a side of slaw. Now it seems like everyone hates him and only Vrentas can do right. Personally, I never had the animus towards Cimini that most people do. He's not nearly as negative as ppl think and seems to have the most team contacts from his years around the team.
    As soon as Manish started his Twitter account he started going downhill. He is not able to deal with the criticism that comes with his job.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very surprised about Jordan White. The only thing I can see is that the WR COACH knows and sees more potential in Chaz Schillans who he was with during their Raider day's together.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Manish was VERY good when he was at the Star-Ledger..Once he moved up to the DN he started to change and now he's become a TMZ type reporter..Is it him wanting to get more exposure or his editors demanding this approach by him or maybe both?

All I hope is Jenny stays at the Ledger..But I think she'll be moving on soon. She is a talent and does know her stuff.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYDreamer View Post
    Very surprised about Jordan White. The only thing I can see is that the WR COACH knows and sees more potential in Chaz Schillans who he was with during their Raider day's together.
    If White can make it to the Taxi Squad, I'm fine with it. And he probably will. While we see some potential, there have to be 10 other rookies who have flashed the same potential in TC. I guess we'll find out if some other team truly loved him coming out of school.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Manish was VERY good when he was at the Star-Ledger..Once he moved up to the DN he started to change and now he's become a TMZ type reporter..Is it him wanting to get more exposure or his editors demanding this approach by him or maybe both?

All I hope is Jenny stays at the Ledger..But I think she'll be moving on soon. She is a talent and does know her stuff.
    Jenny finds a way to get to the heart of the matter, even if that means talking to the 3rd stringers. Like a detective trying to solve a case. I don't want to hear the Jets offense is too complicated, and too simple for the other team. I want to understand why. I guess the public does not have that level of attention. Even on here if the story is too long people proudly say they will not read it. Yet they read thousands of one line fluff stories. Oh well such is the world, and the drive by media.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just thinking how the jets draft scouting department must be in meetings this morning figuring out how they need to improve in the later rounds of the draft.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just thinking how the jets draft scouting department must be in meetings this morning figuring out how they need to improve in the later rounds of the draft.
    huh?

There isn't much of a difference (if any at all) between the success rate of 6th and 7th rounders making teams vs UDFAs...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well not habitually dealing away their picks in rounds 4 - 7 would be a good start. You can't get talent if you don't have a pick to make.

I will say the Jets have had some success with UDFA (Brandon Moore, DeVito, maybe Austin Howard and Damon Harrison). That's good scouting.