Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets Cuts-August 31

Veteran
    I like Dowtin. I hope he stays

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    Only 9 cuts left, and some of them are obvious:

OL Paul Cornick
    LB Marcus Dowtin (good player, but the Jets are too deep at LB to keep him; look for him on the practice squad)
    TE Hayden Smith (to the practice squad)
    QB Matt Simms (Jets aren't keeping 4; he'll go to the PSquad)
    WR Royce Pollard
    OL Dennis Landolt (injury settlement)

That leaves 3 real choices.

One of Trufant or Fletcher will be cut (Manish reports Fletcher). That leaves 2 cuts to be made

Now we get to the real bubble guys:

Harrison (my guess is they'd prefer to cut him and stash him on the practice squad for next year, but they are worried he won't make it through waivers. If they keep him, you can be sure they plan to cut Pouha next season)
    Sapp (Manish reports he'll be cut and head to the PSquad. No doubt he makes it through waivers given his injury)
    Conner (Manish says they plan to keep him)
    Ganaway
    Schillens
    White (who I don't think is really on the bubble, but who knows)
    Epps (likely makes it today and is cut on Saturday when the Jets claim another TE off waivers)
    Bellore (who will make this team)

So . . . if you have to cut two or three of those guys (assuming my math is right) who will it be?

Me? I cut Sapp and Ganaway, because I'm super confident I can stick both on the PSquad without them getting claimed. If I have to cut a third, it's Harrison or Conner - likely Harrison, unless I really think Bellore can play FB. Conner gets saved by having no competition.
    Good breakdown, and I agree on Sapp & Ganaway. Although I would prefer Connor gets cut or traded in the last hours before 9pm.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by heymangold View Post
    I like Dowtin. I hope he stays
    Dowtin is way too raw right now to make the 53. Unless he can beat out guys like Bellore and Mauga and become a special teams stand out, he is most likely practice squad bound.

OL Paul Cornick
    LB Marcus Dowtin (good player, but the Jets are too deep at LB to keep him; look for him on the practice squad)
    WR Royce Pollard

One of Trufant or Fletcher will be cut (Manish reports Fletcher). That leaves 2 cuts to be made

Harrison (my guess is they'd prefer to cut him and stash him on the practice squad for next year, but they are worried he won't make it through waivers. If they keep him, you can be sure they plan to cut Pouha next season)
    Sapp (Manish reports he'll be cut and head to the PSquad. No doubt he makes it through waivers given his injury)
    Ganaway
    Schillens
    Epps (likely makes it today and is cut on Saturday when the Jets claim another TE off waivers)

So . . . if you have to cut two or three of those guys (assuming my math is right) who will it be?

Me? I cut Sapp and Ganaway, because I'm super confident I can stick both on the PSquad without them getting claimed. If I have to cut a third, it's Harrison or Conner - likely Harrison, unless I really think Bellore can play FB. Conner gets saved by having no competition.
    Good work there.

I'd cut Sapp and Ganaway, with Schillens being the 3rd if necessary. I don't want to risk losing Harrison, who looks very promising. Just keep him on the inactive roster all year.

OL Paul Cornick
    WR Royce Pollard

Ganaway
    Schillens

Getting to 53 isn't really the number..The number will be more like 49-50 since Tanny will claim / trade for another 3-4 players...

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Getting to 53 isn't really the number..The number will be more like 49-50 since Tanny will claim / trade for another 3-4 players...
    This.

Very tricky. I usually try not to fall in love with the guys in the 4th pre season game but we will lose Harrison for sure if we cut him. He has good tape.

Jets Insider VIP
    MTV became an obvious cut once Harrison emerged. There's no spot for the 4th NT on the depth chart.
    If that's the case, then it makes no sense to cut Harrison.

He's very likely to be picked up by another team before he lands on the PS.

All League
    Per Roto:

Ricky Sapp - LB - Jets

Jets waived or released OLB Ricky Sapp, WR Joseph Collins, CB Donnie Fletcher, CB LeQuan Lewis, OL Paul Cornick, OL Fred Koloto, DB Julian Posey, DL Jay Richardson, TE Tarren Lloyd, WR Eron Riley, DL Damon Harrison, DL Martin Tevaseu, DB D'Anton Lynn, LB Marcus Dowtin, QB Matt Simms, P Spencer Lanning and OL Matt Kroul.

Sapp had been limited by a high ankle sprain this month. The oft-injured 2010 fifth-round Eagles pick is a candidate for the practice squad, along with Harrison and Dowtin. As of now, the Jets plan on keeping FB John "The Terminator" Connor despite a poor camp.

Related: John Conner

Aug 31 - 7:52 AM

Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini
    Keep an eye on TE position. #Jets looking to add someone there: source. Will be working the phones.

Hall Of Fame
    Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini
    Keep an eye on TE position. #Jets looking to add someone there: source. Will be working the phones.

Yes and no. They'll cut down to 53 today. If they get awarded players off waivers, they'll make the corresponding cut (likely at the same position) then. For instance, Conner may make the 53 and get cut the next day if the Jets are awarded a FB. If they're awarded a TE, it would be Epps getting the axe.

Hall Of Fame
    Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora
    As I wrote in my Saints story last night, New Orleans is a team looking for LBs but with a surplus of WRs and RBs

Teams trying to trade depth guys before having to cut them. Several teams interested in Skins LB Bryan Kehl, for instance, who wont make WSH

Ben Volin ‏@BenVolinPBP Source: #Dolphins have released DE Jamaal Westerman

As I wrote in my Saints story last night, New Orleans is a team looking for LBs but with a surplus of WRs and RBs

Jets should deal McIntyre to the Saints for Ivory

Hall Of Fame
    Yes and no. They'll cut down to 53 today. If they get awarded players off waivers, they'll make the corresponding cut (likely at the same position) then. For instance, Conner may make the 53 and get cut the next day if the Jets are awarded a FB. If they're awarded a TE, it would be Epps getting the axe.
    Or Connor can be cut in favor of an H back/TE type player.

Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl
    Teams are feverishly trying to trade low-end players on the roster before waiving/cutting them. That's why there are no announcements yet.

Teams must be at 53-man roster limit by 9:00 p.m. ET. Waivers run tomorrow at 12:00 p.m. ET. Practice squads start at that time.

Ben Volin ‏@BenVolinPBP
    Source: #Dolphins have released DE Jamaal Westerman

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Or Connor can be cut in favor of an H back/TE type player.
    Right.

Jordy, the Jets only kept 2 NT on the active roster most of last season; MTV was a PS player. They'll be looking to do the same with Harrison. We've paid attention to him, but he may clear waivers.

Yep...But we all know based on Tanny that getting to 53 today is in pencil.

More moves will be made over the weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Gas2No99 View Post
    Per Roto:

Ricky Sapp - LB - Jets

Jets waived or released OLB Ricky Sapp, WR Joseph Collins, CB Donnie Fletcher, CB LeQuan Lewis, OL Paul Cornick, OL Fred Koloto, DB Julian Posey, DL Jay Richardson, TE Tarren Lloyd, WR Eron Riley, DL Damon Harrison, DL Martin Tevaseu, DB D'Anton Lynn, LB Marcus Dowtin, QB Matt Simms, P Spencer Lanning and OL Matt Kroul.

Sapp had been limited by a high ankle sprain this month. The oft-injured 2010 fifth-round Eagles pick is a candidate for the practice squad, along with Harrison and Dowtin. As of now, the Jets plan on keeping FB John "The Terminator" Connor despite a poor camp.

Related: John Conner

Aug 31 - 7:52 AM
    This is just a reposting of Manish's story.

All League
    Schilens better be cut or put on ir by 9pm

Yep...But we all know based on Tanny that getting to 53 today is in pencil.

More moves will be made over the weekend
    Yep. But I think if Harrison survives this cut, he won't be one of those moves. Harrison surviving would mean they are worried he'll be claimed and are planning for the future (he's guaranteed to be inactive behind Pouha and Ellis every game, barring injury, so it's not because they think he can help the team this season). That would indicate a plan (in pencil, of course) to cut Pouha and go with Ellis and Harrison next year (clears cap, gets the team younger, not much drop off). If that's the plan, I doubt they release him to pick up a waiver player, unless some true stud is out there for them