Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 54 of 54

Thread: Vrentas: Jets enlist ex-military members to help build unity and leadership with team

  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Who would you say are the teams leaders? Because anyone you are going to say was there at the event. If we were looking for new leaders, then it would have been done at a different time and included other players.

    This was done to foster and improve leadership qualities in EVERYONE that went. Whether they were already leaders on the team or people who the organization wants MORE leadership from.
    I'm not in practices or meetings so I can't say. I just think leadership is earned amongst your peers.

    Example- The Patriots players vote who their team captains are. These are the guys who the players respect after training camp/preseason.

    As far as fostering and improving leadership qualities, that process should be taking place during ........football related activities. I sound like a broken record, but these guys are football players and you earn your respect from your peers when you play football.

    This really just sounds like a PR move.

    SAR may be right.

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Actually, yes, Tebow very well could be ONE of the leaders that guys look to in tight games, even if he isn't on the field.

    I hope you're kidding about this.

    Tebow actually has a very delicate balancing act to play. He has very strong leadership traits/skills, but he has to figure out how to be effective, without undercutting Sanchez. You know, to be a "follower" while being a leader as well.

    This will be a powder keg ready to explode. I think we can all agree on this. In a tight game, cameras will be focused on Tebow in the sidelines when Sanchez fails.

    During games, he could very well be a motivator on the sidelines helping to keep guys focused. He could help shape attitudes and outlooks if/when the team is down by 10 with 7 mins to go in the 4th Q. You know, continue to have hope and optimism. He can be a settling influence when mistakes happen or drives stalls. The old "keep your chin up" attitude.

    This will get annoying to a lot of players real quick. The only reason why Tebow's optimism didn't annoy the Broncos players even when he played like crap, was because he pulled a rabbit out of his @$$ on a lot of close games. But if he's still the annoying optimistic dude and Sanchez keeps failing? He's gonna get on a lot of players nerves.

    BTW, all of the above applies to other guys as well, not just Tebow. I used him specifically because you asked about him.

    Funny thing is that in the military, while an officer is usually "in charge" of a platoon, company, battalion, etc, it is the Non Coms who are usually the leadership backbone of the units. It's a rather interesting dynamic.

    Agree. But I would say officers are the equivalent of coaches. A leader will rise amongst the non-coms because of his leadership qualities.
    In red.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by First DOWN! View Post
    I'm not in practices or meetings so I can't say. I just think leadership is earned amongst your peers.

    Example- The Patriots players vote who their team captains are. These are the guys who the players respect after training camp/preseason.

    As far as fostering and improving leadership qualities, that process should be taking place during ........football related activities. I sound like a broken record, but these guys are football players and you earn your respect from your peers when you play football.

    This really just sounds like a PR move.

    SAR may be right.
    You are absolutely right that the players themselves should select the captains. Rex made a huge mistake last year.

    But, you are completely off base if you think that the development of leadership skills should only take place during "football related activities". It doesn't matter where the learning or development occurs, only that it happens

  4. #44
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,117
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Ah, Rah-Rah is heard from once again. Surprising after an 0-fer preseason.

    Jenny Vrentas, Queen of The Blind Homer Cult will change her tune and run for the hills soon too, you'll see.

    SAR I
    LOL. A 'shop is in order.

  5. #45
    Why not just quote inline ? It makes replying soo much easier.


    Quote Originally Posted by First DOWN! View Post
    In red.

    I hope you're kidding about this.
    Not kidding at all.


    This will be a powder keg ready to explode. I think we can all agree on this. In a tight game, cameras will be focused on Tebow in the sidelines when Sanchez fails.
    Cameras are going to be focused on Tebow regardless of what Sanchez does. Has little to nothing to do with the point that I made.


    This will get annoying to a lot of players real quick. The only reason why Tebow's optimism didn't annoy the Broncos players even when he played like crap, was because he pulled a rabbit out of his @$$ on a lot of close games. But if he's still the annoying optimistic dude and Sanchez keeps failing? He's gonna get on a lot of players nerves.
    Maybe so. And maybe, just maybe, other guys in the locker room will step up and tell the doom and gloomers to STFU and get on board. You don't get rid of losing attitudes by refusing to accept winning ones or by getting annoyed by them.



    Agree. But I would say officers are the equivalent of coaches. A leader will rise amongst the non-coms because of his leadership qualities.
    Actually, the QB could be seen as the Lieutenant leading a platoon or a Captain leading a company. Coaches would probably be up at the Battalion, Brigade, Division and higher levels.



    I fully agree with you that leaders need to be identified and chosen by the team members themselves. And that the choice of leaders should come within the "football related activities". But again, they aren't coming out of this exercise with little award certificates saying "Team leader #1, #2, #3 ..."

    Rather, it's for guys to learn how to be better and more effective leaders. How to be a subordinate leader who doesn't undercut/undermine the leadership structure/heirarchy.

  6. #46
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    7,232
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    This is a joke move, another act in the circus.

    Rex can't lead like the other 31 NFL head coaches, so he outsources it. Not a month goes by that the team doesn't bend over backwards to help this fool do a job that he's clearly incapable of. Another humiliation, another press of the SOJF undo button that he helped eradicate in 2009.

    "Innovative?" nice spin. Pathetic.

    SAR I

    Why do you hate our military?

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by brady's a catcher View Post
    Why do you hate our military?
    Think it's more that he just hates life in general, then it transfers to whatever he's focused on for the moment. Well, except his BMW or whatever he keeps droning on about.

  8. #48
    I only have one question.... do they still have the ice cream social on Thursdays?

  9. #49
    Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by brady's a catcher View Post
    Why do you hate our military?
    My father and grandfather both served, I don't hate the military.

    I dislike the amount of noise at the stadium on gamedays, once rattled off a litany of things that the PA system throws at us like commercials and helmet races and PC Richards whistles and cheerleader evacuations and Bart Scott get louders, and amongst that mentioned honoring veterans which makes me a communist.

    SAR I

  10. #50
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    7,232
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    My father and grandfather both served, I don't hate the military.

    I dislike the amount of noise at the stadium on gamedays, once rattled off a litany of things that the PA system throws at us like commercials and helmet races and PC Richards whistles and cheerleader evacuations and Bart Scott get louders, and amongst that mentioned honoring veterans which makes me a communist.

    SAR I
    Why do you hate helmet races?

  11. #51
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,638
    Quote Originally Posted by brady's a catcher View Post
    Why do you hate helmet races?
    And what's wrong with cheerleader evacuations?

    People pay good money to see that ****.

  12. #52
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    W. Germany
    Posts
    1,176
    Quote Originally Posted by brady's a catcher View Post
    Why do you hate our Jets?
    Fixed.

  13. #53
    Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by brady's a catcher View Post
    Why do you hate helmet races?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    And what's wrong with cheerleader evacuations?
    LOL. Can't wait for the regular season to begin. Then we can all be friends and kill the Jets as one.

    SAR I

  14. #54
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    17,065
    A lil discipline never hurt no one.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us