Thread: Fan falls to death at Texans' Reliant Stadium

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Fan falls to death at Texans' Reliant Stadium

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/83...eliant-stadium

HOUSTON -- A 25-year-old fan died after tumbling off an escalator from the fifth floor to the ground floor while attending a preseason Houston Texans' game at Reliant Stadium, city police said Friday.

The man fell during Thursday's game between the Texans and the Minnesota Vikings, Reliant Stadium officials said in a statement.

Houston Police Department spokesman John Cannon said he could not identify the man until his family had been informed. He said the circumstances of the fall and what the man was doing at the time were still under investigation. The fan fell from the fifth-floor escalator to the ground floor, Cannon said.

"He was transported to Memorial Hermann Hospital after we had had some fans get the attention of some Houston police officers who were nearby where the body fell," Cannon said.

Police consider the death accidental, Cannon said.

The Houston Medical Examiner's Office confirmed in an email Friday that it had received the body. The medical examiner's website said the man died in a Houston emergency room.

In 2011, a firefighter attending a Texas Rangers game in Arlington died when he fell from the left-field stands while reaching for a baseball tossed his way by All-Star outfielder Josh Hamilton.

Shannon Stone fell about 20 feet onto concrete when he tumbled over the left-field railing after catching the ball and falling into an area out of sight from the field as the Rangers faced Oakland. Cooper Stone, his 9-year-old son, witnessed the fall during the second inning.

In April, a statue of Stone and his son was dedicated to Rangers fans in front of the home plate gate at Rangers Ballpark in Arlington. Railings also were raised throughout the ballpark before this season.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    A fan attending the Texans’ preseason game against the Vikings at Reliant Stadium on Thursday night fell off an escalator and died.

Houston police classified the death as accidental and said the man was trying to slide down the outside hand rail of the escalator when he fell three stories. He was rushed to a nearby hospital and pronounced dead on arrival.

A fan who was nearby told the Houston Chronicle he “heard the very loud noise when he hit the ground.”

Police say the deceased was a 45-year-old man, but they have not released his name.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...liant-stadium/

ESPN says 25 years old, PFT says 45 years old.

Someone didn't do their research.

Sad case though. Why would you slide down an escalator's hand rail three stories high? I'm assuming alcohol was involved otherwise, Darwin's theory is at work here.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    im surprised this doesnt happen more often because the amount of booze some people consume even before going in a game is crazy. sad story tho

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Reports on Twitter last night was that he fell as a result of horseplay.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do any of you "old timers" remember the escalators in Shea Stadium? Those were the longest, steepest escalators I have ever seen, and I always wondered how nobody ever got killed falling off of them.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Something similar happened @ the Ga. Dome last night...

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH_1962 View Post
    Do any of you "old timers" remember the escalators in Shea Stadium? Those were the longest, steepest escalators I have ever seen, and I always wondered how nobody ever got killed falling off of them.
    Sadly, it did happen.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AbstraKt View Post
    Something similar happened @ the Ga. Dome last night...
    Fan dies after Georgia Dome*fall
    Updated: September 1, 2012, 11:07 AM ET
    Associated Press
    RECOMMEND421TWEET345COMMENTS1KEMAILPRINT
    ATLANTA -- A 20-year-old man from Tennessee who plunged about 35 feet from the upper level of the Georgia Dome and struck another fan during the Tennessee-North Carolina State game has died, authorities said Saturday.

The man fell on another fan seated in the mezzanine area during the game Friday evening, The Georgia World Congress Center Authority, which operates the downtown football stadium, said in a statement.

[+] Enlarge
    ESPN.com
    A view down from Section 311 at the Georgia Dome, where a man fell during Friday's game between Tennessee and North Carolina State and later died.
    Investigator Leon Harrison at the Fulton County Medical Examiner's Office told The Associated Press early Saturday that Isaac Grubb of Lenoir City, Tenn., was pronounced dead Friday night, minutes before midnight, at an Atlanta hospital.

He said the man had fallen about 35 feet and appeared to have suffered injuries from blunt force trauma.

"He passed away at the hospital," Harrison told AP by telephone, adding an autopsy was planned Saturday morning.

Harrison said the other fan was a man who was subsequently treated at another Atlanta hospital and released. He had no further details on the man's identity or his condition.

Jennifer LeMaster, a spokeswoman for the Georgia World Congress Center Authority, told AP before the death was confirmed by Harrison that she had no information beyond the authority's initial statement. She said, however, the authority was expected to release more information Saturday afternoon.

The authority had said the fall occurred about 8:30 p.m. Friday night during the game in which Tennessee beat North Carolina 35-21in the season opener for both teams.

The fall occurred a day after a 25-year-old fan tumbled about 60 feet from a fifth-floor escalator at Reliant Stadium in Houston during a preseason Houston Texans game. Jonathon Kelly died from the fall during the Thursday night game against the Minnesota Vikings, and frantic witnesses called police to report where his body had landed, police spokesman John Cannon said. Police said the fall appeared to be an accident.

Last year, a firefighter attending a Texas Rangers game in Arlington died when he fell from the left field stands while reaching for a baseball tossed his way by All-Star outfielder Josh Hamilton. The man's 9-year-old son witnessed the fall. A statue was later dedicated at Rangers Ballpark to the man and his son, and railings were raised throughout the park before this season.

Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press

RECOMMEND421TWEET345COMMENTS1KEMAILPRINT

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    I remember going up those as a kid. I was at the game when a flying lawn mower killed someone. What a disastrous halftime show. I hope I'm not "misremembering", but didn't the flying Snoopy doghouse crash to the field while being chased by the Red Baron before the lawn mower took off?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    My wife has a theory on why this seems to be happening more often. She thinks to many people expect the teams/facilities to take care of everything. As a result, they don't pay attention to making sure bad **** doesn't happen to them. Throw in alcohol and it is even worse.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumrunner View Post
    I remember going up those as a kid. I was at the game when a flying lawn mower killed someone. What a disastrous halftime show. I hope I'm not "misremembering", but didn't the flying Snoopy doghouse crash to the field while being chased by the Red Baron before the lawn mower took off?
    Absolutely! I was was there too, it was Against NE.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely! I was was there too, it was Against NE.
    Yea and there was bench clearing brawl going into halftime. There was a black cloud over Shea that day. Ah, memories. Bittersweet memories, the Jets sucked back then but man I loved those times with my grandfather.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumrunner View Post
    Bittersweet memories, the Jets sucked back then
    so the Jets have gotten better since then?