Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rex Ryan on Stephen Hill

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Rex Ryan on Stephen Hill

Well at least the Jets scored a touchdown in August, even if it was with their third-team quarterback running the offense in the ultra-meaningless fourth game of the preseason. But if New York's fate this year comes down to what Greg McElroy can do under center, Rex Ryan and Co. are probably in considerable trouble.
    I love the Jets defense and it should keep them in most games. But New York seems to think it has enough playmakers on offense and I just don't see it. In training camp, when I asked him how he knew rookie second-round receiver Stephen Hill was ready to contribute early, Ryan gave me a very honest, but curious answer.
    "Well, nothing told me he would (contribute),'' Ryan said. "Nothing. When I saw the tape (of his collegiate play) I was concerned. But (Jets general manager) Mike Tannenbaum and (senior personnel executive) Terry Brady and all our scouts were adamant about this guy. They were adamant that this guy can do it. He can run all these routes, he had good hands and he's got 4.2 speed at 6-foot-5. He was the guy they all wanted, but honestly, when it came down to it, a wideout? Not my dream pick. But now that we have him, of course, I want to claim him: 'Oh, that was my pick.' But it really wasn't.''
    Wonder what Ryan thinks of his rookie receiver now? Hill led New York's receivers this preseason with nine catches for 106 yards, but he also had at least three drops, including one that turned into a Carolina interception in last Sunday night's Jets loss to the Panthers. New York finished 0-4 in the preseason for the first time since 1993, and this is clearly a team that hasn't yet figured out its offensive identity.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz259p6VxPZ
    Not sure if this was posted, if it has please merge or dump.

As for the comment... I don't know why Rex would open up about that unless it is a motivational ploy? But even then it seems pretty harsh.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It could also be sort of tongue-in-cheek...hard to get that message over text. We all know Rex prefers drafting defensive guys when possible.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex doesn't really seem to be a good evaluator of offensive talent, so it doesn't really concern me.

What is annoying is that he would voice this. Just keep it to yourself.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Obviously offense isn't Rex's dream pick.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    hey rex your a head coach not just a def coordinator and you need offensive players to win

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sect313 View Post
    hey rex your a lame coach not just a def coordinator and you need offensive players to win
    Fixed.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex is honest to a fault. I don't think he wants to go offense in the first two or three rounds. That's all.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Honestly, he sounds like a damn fool. Why would a wide out be a bad position to draft in the 2nd round? And then basically say that he didn't think Hill was a good prospect, wtf

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RIJetFan View Post
    Rex is honest to a fault. I don't think he wants to go offense in the first two or three rounds. That's all.
    Thats how you end up with very few play makers on this offense.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Geezus, Rex has NO filter whatsoever.

I'm GLAD he wasn't "Rex' pick." The last time Rex picked an offensive guy, we were stuck with John Conner.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Honestly, he sounds like a damn fool. Why would a wide out be a bad position to draft in the 2nd round? And then basically say that he didn't think Hill was a good prospect, wtf
    Amazing isnt it? Makes Rex sound like a fool.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Rex' very 1st pick with the Jets was Sanchez

Don't say he doesn't like to draft offense

Sanchez Greene and Slausson were his 1st 3 picks

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is very interesting. We all seemed to think Rex has a hand in the draft. But it sounds like the picks are all on Tanny, Bradway etc.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Moving forward, Rex needs to make due with what he has on defense and spend all picks on offense. If Rex is the defensive genius he claims to be, then he should not need to load up on that side of the ball.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    This is very interesting. We all seemed to think Rex has a hand in the draft. But it sounds like the picks are all on Tanny, Bradway etc.
    Which makes me a tad nervous. Clearly rex shouldn't be doing it since he seems to mostly want defense in the first rounds and that's not you build a team. But Tanny is not the kind of GM you want if your coach isn't evaluating prospects on one side of the ball.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    Rex' very 1st pick with the Jets was Sanchez

Don't say he doesn't like to draft offense

Sanchez Greene and Slausson were his 1st 3 picks
    I think you are missing the point. Based on Rex's comments, it doesnt sound like any of those guys were "his" picks. Sounds like he defers to Tanny. The one pick he bragged about picking himself was Connor, and we all see how that turned out. Maybe they do just give Rex one pick per draft.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bottom line though, this was just a really stupid thing to say about one of your top picks. And I like Rex as a HC, but really what goes through his head when he makes these kind of comments...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Photo montage of Pfail Strippers:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    It could also be sort of tongue-in-cheek...hard to get that message over text. We all know Rex prefers drafting defensive guys when possible.
    it was.

Rex used those same lines in one of his press conferences, i can't remember if it was training camp or mini-camp or what.

he's joking around with reporters, saying how he's a defensive coach and wasn't thrilled with drafting a WR but then when he saw Hill he's all like, "Yup, that's my guy! I'm the one who said we should draft him!"

just Rex being himself, which of course means it has to be turned into a huge deal by the media/fans when it really means nothing.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    How is this SOJF or w/e? Does that comment not seem stupid to you? (for PlumberKhan's comment... quote fail)