Thread: NYP Costello: Theismann: Sanchez too nice

NYP Costello: Theismann: Sanchez too nice

Former Redskins quarterback Joe Theismann is sick of the nice guy routine from Mark Sanchez when it comes to Tim Tebow’s presence on the Jets.

Theismann told WFAN Friday it’s time for Sanchez to stand up for himself.

“This strikes at the heart of Mark Sanchez’s pride,” Theismann said. “He’s going to get booed. He’s going to get thrown under the bus. And I want to see what kind of cojones he’s got. That’s what I’m looking for. … I’m sick and tired of hearing this nice-guy stuff: ‘Oh, Timmy’s a nice guy. Oh, Mark’s a nice [guy].’ ”

Sanchez has said all the right things about Tebow since the Jets swung the stunning trade for the backup quarterback in March, but Theismann said he’s tired of it.

“Hey, if I’m Mark Sanchez, ‘I’m the starting quarterback and it’s great to have Tim here to help us win football games.’ That’s the statement. It’s time for somebody to stand up believe in themselves if you’re a Jet,” Theismann said.

“Enough of this nicey two-shoe garbage. Stand up for what you believe in. You’re the starting quarterback. This guy’s not. That’s the way it is. Deal with it.”

NT Sione Po’uha (back) and WR Chaz Schilens (ankle) returned to practice after missing most of training camp. RB Joe McKnight injured his hamstring in Thursday night’s game and was working with the trainers at the start of practice when the media were permitted to watch. Also out: RG Brandon Moore (undisclosed) LB Bryan Thomas (undisclosed), LB David Harris (ankle), TE Dustin Keller (hamstring), LB Nick Bellore (shoulder), S Eric Smith (hip/knee), LB Ricky Sapp (ankle), S Josh Bush (slight concussion) and WR Royce Pollard (shoulder).
    The Jets cut their roster to 53 players Friday night.
    The team waived three of their draft picks from April: sixth-round RB Terrance Ganaway, sixth-round OT Robert T. Griffin and seventh-round WR Jordan White. The biggest surprise was their decision to keep undrafted free agent NT Damon Harrison, though he could be cut this weekend if they want to add someone off waivers.
    The other cuts: OT Paul Cornick, WR Royce Pollard, CB Donnie Fletcher, LB Ricky Sapp, TE Hayden Smith, WR Joseph Collins, LB Marcus Dowtin, G Fred Koluto, G Matt Kroul, P Spencer Lanning, CB LeQuan Lewis, TE Tarren Lloyd, S D’Anton Lynn, CB Julian Posey, DE Jay Richardson, WR Eron Riley, LB Brett Roy (injury settlement), QB Matt Simms and NT Martin Tevaseu.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/...ZSZLz1MKH1GWJM

Joey T is probably right. However, by reading what Sanchez is doing AND saying to teammates this past month I think he's become less "nice" and more of "this is my team". He's calling guys out when they make a mistake, (especially dumb mental ones) and trying to get everyone on the same page..

Media bashes loud mouth bragging (Rex).

Media bashes professional rhetoric (Sanchez).

Can't win

Jets Insider VIP
    Thanks for posting!!!

Sanchez is fine. The key is what is the organization willing to let him do?

Sanchez had a media person around 24/7 and that made his teammates feel he was coddled. Now they groomed Sanchez to be a certain way folks say why is he like that?

Insanity!!!!!

Hall Of Fame
    I understand what Theismann is trying to say. Mark says all the right things but he hasn't really taken ownership of this team yet. But it is hard to take ownership when you are an inconsistent player. Words mean more when the play on the field backs it up.

Ideally Mangold and Sanchez would be the leaders on the offense while Harris and Pouha would be the leaders on the defense.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Former Redskins quarterback Joe Theismann is sick of the nice guy routine from Mark Sanchez when it comes to Tim Tebow’s presence on the Jets.

Theismann told WFAN Friday it’s time for Sanchez to stand up for himself.

“This strikes at the heart of Mark Sanchez’s pride,” Theismann said. “He’s going to get booed. He’s going to get thrown under the bus. And I want to see what kind of cojones he’s got. That’s what I’m looking for. … I’m sick and tired of hearing this nice-guy stuff: ‘Oh, Timmy’s a nice guy. Oh, Mark’s a nice [guy].’ ”

Sanchez has said all the right things about Tebow since the Jets swung the stunning trade for the backup quarterback in March, but Theismann said he’s tired of it.

“Hey, if I’m Mark Sanchez, ‘I’m the starting quarterback and it’s great to have Tim here to help us win football games.’ That’s the statement. It’s time for somebody to stand up believe in themselves if you’re a Jet,” Theismann said.

“Enough of this nicey two-shoe garbage. Stand up for what you believe in. You’re the starting quarterback. This guy’s not. That’s the way it is. Deal with it.”
    LOL....Isnt this what Sanchez has been saying all along?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post

Can't win
    This.

You are damned if you and you are damned if you don't. Every journalist or reporter is gonna take a swipe at the jets this year more than normal.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    LOL....Isnt this what Sanchez has been saying all along?
    I heard the interview yesterday, and that's exactly what I said.

Mark has been saying that all along, almost word for word.

Guys like Theismann parachute in to the New York market, do an interview, then it's off to the next market. He doesn't follow the Jets. He has no idea what Sanchez has or hasn't been saying.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Sanchez is trying to be everything to everybody. Phuckem' all, and ball.

Heard the interview also. Thought Theisman was right on, he was supportive of Sanchez. Best part of the spot was when Joe( if I only had a brain,Bro)Benigno asked Theisman how long he ran back punts for the Dolphins and Theisman had to tell him he never played for them, that he started in Canada before going to the Skins. You can't make it up. The FAN strikes again.

Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    Heard the interview also. Thought Theisman was right on, he was supportive of Sanchez. Best part of the spot was when Joe( if I only had a brain,Bro)Benigno asked Theisman how long he ran back punts for the Dolphins and Theisman had to tell him he never played for them, that he started in Canada before going to the Skins. You can't make it up. The FAN strikes again.
    That was kind of funny.

I remember Theismann running back punts. Pretty ballsey with that single strand face-mask.

Jets Insider VIP

Can't win
    This.

/The Phail Strip

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    This.

/The Phail Strip
    What do you mean? There is plenty of good conversation here. Take a look:

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=247110

I also believe Sanchez has been doing this in a subtle way.

For example, after all the negative words thrown his way on top of everything Tebow I felt that when Sanchez simply stated the the INT against carolina off Hill's hands was not his fault it was his way of letting everyone know that he is going to start standing up for himself. JMO...........

I agree with Theismann. One of the reasons I have such criticism for Sanchez is because he doesn't seem to corral the team. He doesn't seem to have played well enough to earn the respect of his players. If that happens? When Sanchez talks as though he's the leader of this team, they'll actually rally behind him. That would never happen right now. They don't respect him because they feel he's been coddled and given everything.

All of this can be PERMANENTLY put to rest and Sanchez would be the unquestioned leader of this team if he just takes some initiative, buckles down, and plays better.

Chad Pennington was never a great QB, actually far from it. However, if you watched the team in TCin 2006, in an open QB competition, whenever Penny started playing QB, he ELEVATED everyone's play on the field. Everyone suddenly played much better when Penny was leading things. The team never responded that way when other Quarterbacks took over the reigns.

That is what I'd like to see out of Sanchez. At least start to play better and the team will suddenly respect you and follow you wherever. He's doesn't even need to be great, or even a franchise QB, just distinguish himself as the BEST QB on the Jets and he'll earn all the praise from his teammates.

So Theismann is right. Stop saying the selected, cookie cutter, publically acceptable words. Start saying what people want to hear. I am the unquestioned leader of this team. I will lead you by example. I EXPECT your best in return.

Then let the chips fall where they may. There's no shame in failing so long as you give it your best shot.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... sorry theisman ... no matter how much you and the rest of the media contingent are trying to make this into a qb controversy there simply is not one there ...

... tebow s*cks as a pocket qb ... sanchez has no need to be a d*ck to him ...

... mark played at an improved level in the needed areas in preseason and has exhibited his team leadership by being a uniting force in the team that was torn asunder with division at the end of last season ...

... sanchez is doing everything right ...

l_j_r

p.s. - break a leg joe

Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    ... sorry theisman ... no matter how much you and the rest of the media contingent are trying to make this into a qb controversy there simply is not one there ...

... tebow s*cks as a pocket qb ... sanchez has no need to be a d*ck to him ...

... mark played at an improved level in the needed areas in preseason and has exhibited his team leadership by being a uniting force in the team that was torn asunder with division at the end of last season ...

... sanchez is doing everything right ...

l_j_r

p.s. - break a leg joe
    Agreed. These guys are going to have a symbiotic professional relationship. I hope they both exceed expectations and shut everyone up.

Can't win
    +1

ESPN would have to create a new channel to bash the Jets if Sanchez said anything bad about Teabagger.