Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Waiver Claims/Practice Squad Signings

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

Let's all calm down a bit.

Can we rememer, we are arguing about the 52nd and 53rd guys on the roster. I'm not one that says Tanny isn't subject to criticism, I think the neglect of the Oline position through the draft and free agency was a big risk, Austin appears to have bailed him out but I think the jury is still out.

I like Antonio Allen and was surprised to see him cut, but during the draft, Rex and the coaches wanted him, thought he would be a good fit and we drafted him, preseason happens, he shows things, other safeties show things and decisions change. Maybe we need the spot for one of the four oclock signings. I think the injuries at Tight End are causing a good bit of shuffling to the roster.

One final point, I don't think we've ever seen Woody try to do anything on the cheap, I don't think any cut was made to save $150k I would imagine it was more about the roster spot than the money, to compare us to the Bengals is ridiculous.
    Last edited by tahoejet; 09-01-2012 at 05:17 PM. Reason: spell

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chillywilly View Post
    Rex needs to stop hyping up players to us...I don't get the allen cut. three draft picks cut lol
    That's all that talent evaluation paying off for Rex

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Newest Jets claimed off waivers

Clyde Gates reunited with Tony Sparano on Jets -By Brian McIntyre
    The NFL's waiver wire closed at 11:59 a.m. ET and the New York Jets appear to have been one of the teams that was very active when it comes to placing claims on players that were released Friday.

According to Brian Costello of the New York Post, the Jets were awarded wide receiver Clyde Gates, a 2011 fourth-round draft pick by the Miami Dolphins who played for Jets offensive coordinator Tony Sparano last season.

A 5-foot-11, 190-pound speedster from Division II Abilene Christian, Gates appeared in 15 games for the Dolphins as a rookie, catching two passes for 19 yards while playing in around 16 percent of the Dolphins' offensive snaps. Gates also averaged 24.8 yards on 34 kick returns and 10.7 yards on three punt returns as a rookie.

Gates gives the Jets a legitimate deep threat in the passing game, but his inconsistent route-running and hands is what led the receiver-starved Dolphins to waive him on Friday. Gates is signed through the 2014 season at league-minimum base salaries of $465,000 in 2012, $555,000 in 2013 and $645,000 in 2014.

Gates is not the only Dolphin the Jets claimed off waivers. NFL player agent David Canter announced on Twitter that nose tackle Isaako Aaitui had been claimed by the Jets. The 6-foot-3, 315-pound nose tackle spent most of last season on the Dolphins' practice squad and his release came as a surprise after a solid preseason where he routinely clogged the middle, posted four tackles, a sack and tied for the team-high with three quarterback hits.

Aaitui joins a very deep Jets defensive line that has Sione Po'uha and Kenrick Ellis ahead of him at nose tackle.

In addition to Gates and Aaitui, the Jets claimed tight end Konrad Reuland off waivers from the San Francisco 49ers, Eric Branch of the San Francisco Chronicle reports.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tahoejet View Post
    Can we rememer, we are arguing about the 52nd and 53rd guys on the roster.
    I think the vast majority here would much rather

drop Eric Smith, John Conner and IR Landolt

keep Antonio Allen, Jay Richardson, Ganaway

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Thank you . I would guess that Allen will clear waivers and be on our PS. He has talent and it flashed in camp. I thought he played better then Bush but I guess I was wrong.
    If he has talent its no gimme he clears waivers...I hope he does tho..

Bush was starting in place of Bell the Carolina game...That is an indication what the CS thinks of him vs AAllen (altho AAllen is more of a SS)...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I get your point and I think its ridiculous! We have had injuries. Leon Washington; Jim Leonhard, Eric Smith; Greene, Mangold; Slauson; Moore; Brian Thomas; Pace; and like the Energizer Bunny the beat goes on! Thankfully Sanchez has not been seriously hurt and unable to play. But to say we have not had many injuries is
    We haven't had many injuries. Go have a look around the league over the last few years.

Of course we've had some injuries, no one escapes an NFL season entirely unscathed. But teams are routinely down 2 or more starting linemen for 2-4 games per year and lose multiple starters on defense.

The Packers won a Super Bowl with 16 guys on IR.

We lost Devito for 4 games, Leonhard for 3 games, Mangold for 2 games, and Tomlinson for 2 games. Thomas missing 12 games was our only major injury last year (Leonhard's was severe, but came very late in the season).

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    With DeVito and Pouha banged up I think that lead to claiming Isaako Aaitui...Isn't this also the last season of DeVito's contract?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    I think the vast majority here would much rather

drop Eric Smith, John Conner and IR Landolt

keep Antonio Allen, Jay Richardson, Ganaway
    Ganaway was claimed by the Rams.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    With DeVito and Pouha banged up I think that lead to claiming Isaako Aaitui...Isn't this also the last season of DeVito's contract?
    I believe you are right about De Vito's contract. I think Pouha too.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
    Miami claimed former Redskins WR Anthony Armstrong on waivers.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    It's not just Allen, though.

They cut 4 guys they just drafted. I know they're late round picks, but why did they pick those guys?

It looks like this team is run by idiots on a messageboard. There are probably people here who can do better.
    If this board ran the team we would have started guys like David Clowney & Brett Ratliff. So no, there is no one on an internet message board that can run a professional football team better than our current GM.

These guys were all 6th. & 7th. round draft picks who would have most likely contributed zero to the team this year. And guys like Allen and White will probably make the PS. People really need to stop crying over this. Teams cut 6th and 7th rounders every year but our fan-base is the only one up in arms.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    New York Jets ‏@nyjets
    #RL Jets have announced moves this PM involving 3 players acquired on waivers, 3 they've waived, and 7 signed to the practice squad

... The Jets have been awarded 3 players on waivers: NT Isaako Aaitui (MIA), WR Clyde Gates (MIA) and TE Konrad Reuland (SF)

... The Jets have waived 3 players from their active/inactive roster: S Antonio Allen, DT Marcus Dixon and TE Dedrick Epps .

... The Jets have signed 7 players to their practice squad: T Paul Cornick, LB Marcus Dowtin, DB Donnie Fletcher, WR Royce Pollard, LB Ricky Sapp, TE Hayden Smith and WR Jordan White.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SDJETS View Post
    Or maybe the players in front of them are just better?
    Maybe we should've drafted for positions where we're paper thin then.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like Sanchez will be reunited with his HS teammate, TE Konrad Reuland. Maybe we'll see more of this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTdd2usfLF8

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another thing about Allen. The Jets seemed like they were delighted and surprised that he was still available when they drafted him. Still can't get my head around that one.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jenny Vrentas ‏@JennyVrentas
    Source says Jets put in conditional claims on T Steven Baker, LB DJ Bryant, RB Jonathan grimes, OL Hayworth Hicks + WR Jermaine Kearse

That means Jets had some interest in those guys but they were crossed off their list when higher priority claims filled

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Another thing about Allen. The Jets seemed like they were delighted and surprised that he was still available when they drafted him. Still can't get my head around that one.
    Wait, whut?

We cut Antonio Allen?

I haven't been keeping up with this thread.

Is this for real?

WTF.

_

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    Wait, whut?

We cut Antonio Allen?

I haven't been keeping up with this thread.

Is this for real?

WTF.

_
    I feel exactly the same way! I hope we have room for him on the PS. I do not like the move. The guy is very talented.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I feel exactly the same way! I hope we have room for him on the PS. I do not like the move. The guy is very talented.
    He was projected as a 3rd or 4th rounder, we stole him in the 7th and he's played pretty well during all the camps and preseason.

I am officially stumped by this one.

Stumped.

_

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hayden Smith and Fletcher over Allen. Two guys I haven't heard a peep out of during preseason. Some real brains we have.