Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Waiver Claims/Practice Squad Signings

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    With all the injuries to the WRs White had his chance the past 3 weeks...He couldn't hold onto the ball...
    Ironic when you think about how many catches he had in college. I was rooting for him.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Ironic when you think about how many catches he had in college. I was rooting for him.
    I was rooting for Enron Riley so what the heck do I know..

Seahawks signed TE Evan Moore, formerly of the Browns.

All Pro
    With all the injuries to the WRs White had his chance the past 3 weeks...He couldn't hold onto the ball...
    Just like Hill I think it's more important for these rookies to be able to get open than to catch every ball. Now don't jump down my throat, but it could just be jitters, and/or trying to run before the catch. You can work on your hands, and technique, but it doesn't matter how well you catch if you can't get open. I have a feeling they'll both be pretty good once they get used to being in the NFL. Glad White made it through to the PS.

As far as the draft picks go, we all know, or should that there is little difference between 6th rounders and FAs. That's why people shouldn't get all worked up about us trading ours away all the time. We probably should have traded the picks this year too.

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Just like Hill I think it's more important for these rookies to be able to get open than to catch every ball. Now don't jump down my throat, but it could just be jitters, and/or trying to run before the catch. You can work on your hands, and technique, but it doesn't matter how well you catch if you can't get open. I have a feeling they'll both be pretty good once they get used to being in the NFL. Glad White made it through to the PS.

As far as the draft picks go, we all know, or should that there is little difference between 6th rounders and FAs. That's why people shouldn't get all worked up about us trading ours away all the time. We probably should have traded the picks this year too.
    I'm glad White is on the PS..I just preferred Riley over White...And maybe Riley just can't get open against the 1s.

Just got home. How bad did we do on waiver claims and losing players? I heard we cut Dixon suddenly and Ganaway was claimed. I'm not sure I understand the moves. But, I'm not sure who we replaced them with. Fill me in.

Quote Originally Posted by escamoter2 View Post
    Just got home. How bad did we do on waiver claims and losing players? I heard we cut Dixon suddenly and Ganaway was claimed. I'm not sure I understand the moves. But, I'm not sure who we replaced them with. Fill me in.
    Picked up a couple of Miami guys WR and a NT. Given Sparano's connection, this isn't surprising.

No big name additions. Everybody's favorite, Cleveland TE Evan Moore, went somewhere else. We did pick up a pass catching TE released by San Francisco.

Jets put in a bunch of conditional claims which did not get executed.

SS Antonio Allen was let go today. This move was one of the most surprising. All here hope he makes the practice squad tomorrow when eligible.

Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    Picked up a couple of Miami guys WR and a NT. Given Sparano's connection, this isn't surprising.

No big name additions. Everybody's favorite, Cleveland TE Evan Moore, went somewhere else.

Jets put in a bunch of conditional claims which did not get executed.

SS Antonio Allen was let go today. This move was one of the most surprising. All here hope he makes the practice squad tomorrow when eligible.
    Thanks. That is surprising. Then again, including Smith, we have four safeties.
    Last edited by escamoter2; 09-01-2012 at 08:46 PM.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    I can't believe they cut White, Ganaway and Allen.

Seriously, what are they doing?

If they're not throwing away draft picks in meaningless trades, they're throwing away the players they pick.

I don't mean to sound like a whiner, crying about late round picks, but why did they draft the guys if they had no intention of giving them a real chance here?

So yeah, let's sign a bunch of other team's scrubs because they have to be better than our scrubs, right? And let's keep Eric Smith, because he's obviously a quality player.

Oh, and Dixon played well here when he actually got a chance.

They better know what they're doing and have a plan... because right now it looks like the team is run by a bunch of fools who are just throwing sh!t at the wall to see what sticks.

I'm just shocked by some of these moves.
    You can't believe they cut Allen, eh????
    Check out this "highlight" from the Eagles game- Allen (#39) didn't even look for the ball!!!
    http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201208...66&tab=analyze

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post

Most of those pick were compensation picks.(players you lost in freeagency the year before) You can't trade compensation picks.

Hall Of Fame
    Any word on whether Allen made it through waivers?

Not sure which thread to check.

_

Veteran
    Interesting look into waver claims of past years by the Jets

Jets’ mini-draft: winners and losers

JP Pelzman

Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum likes to call Labor Day weekend his ‘mini-draft,’ as teams can claim players off waivers the day after the mandatory cutdown to 53. He looks at it as a chance to find hidden gems, based on the scouting the team did before and after those claimed players became pros.
    I have been fairly consistent in my criticism of this. Don’t get me wrong, Mike T and his staff know plenty more about football and personnel than I ever will, but it’s my opinion [and the facts bear it out] that all this churning of the bottom of the roster has little impact on the team’s eventual success. The problem is that the Jets rarely let the players they claim develop, preferring instead to draft other players at their position. More on this later.

Winners
    1. WR-KR Clyde Gates, NT Isaako Aaitui and TE Konrad Reuland. All will be making NFL salaries. Gates, who played for Miami last year and was the Dolphins’ primary kickoff returner, is the only one who will have to be paid as a second-year NFL player, making $465,000. Aaitui and Reuland both will make $390,000, each a $150,000 savings over DE Marcus Dixon and TE Dedrick Epps, both of whom were cut. Seems like penny-pinching to me, and as was tweeted by Jenny Vrentas of the Star-Ledger yesterday, the Jets never did recoup that $500,000 signing bonus to backup QB Drew Stanton, who became expendable when Tim Tebow became available. So with that in mind, I’d say maybe the Jets’ motives become clearer.
    Gates provides insurance in case RB-KR Joe McKnight can’t overcome the shin splints that have plagued him throughout training camp. Aaitui provides more depth at NT, where starter Sione Po’uha’s back still is a question mark. And of course the Jets were short at TE with Josh Baker [knee] out for the season and Jeff Cumberland still dealing with the after-effects of a concussion.
    2. NT Damon Harrison. The UDFA from NAIA William Penn of Iowa is the only UDFA rookie to make the team this year, and he had a solid camp. Again, he provides insurance behind Po’uha and second-year pro Kenrick Ellis, a third-round pick last year. Aaitui likely is a project at this point.
    3. OC Tony Sparano. It’s obvious the Jets are listening to what the former Miami Dolphins HC has to say. He certainly gave a thumbs-up to both speedster Gates and Aaitui.
    4. RB Terrance Ganaway. The rookie from Baylor, a sixth-round pick by the Jets, was waived Friday and claimed by St. Louis Saturday. Now he’ll get a chance to develop in a less-pressurized situation and be on an active roster, rather than the Jets practice squad.

Losers
    1. DE Marcus Dixon. Dixon came to the Jets two years ago on Labor Day weekend, awarded to them in a waiver claim after he was cut by Dallas. Now he is a victim of the mini-draft. Dixon played sparingly in 2010, recording four tackles and one sack, but appeared in all 16 games last season, starting three. He had 14 tackles and 1.5 sacks as a valuable member of the defensive-line rotation, and could play outside in 3-4 schemes and inside when the Jets used a four-man front. The D-line clearly is less experienced and less deep without Dixon, who also served as a mentor to his friend Ellis, who served time in prison this summer on an assault plea.
    Dixon never really got a chance to play extensively, because the Jets drafted a DE in the first round each of the last two years [Muhammad Wilkerson in 2011, Quinton Coples in 2012].
    2. S Antonio Allen. I thought the seventh-round pick from South Carolina had an impressive camp, and it seemed to me he can play in this league. But the Jets rated sixth-rounder Josh Bush ahead of him, so. . . If Allen clears waivers, he likely will be added to the practice squad.
    3. 2012 draft picks. With Allen being cut, the Jets waived four of their eight picks, unheard of in the Tannenbaum regime. [Although, to be fair, they usually don’t have that many because of trades.] WR Jordan White [7th, W. Michigan] was brought back to the practice squad and the Rams picked up Ganaway. But sixth-round G Robert Griffin from Baylor hasn’t been picked up and didn’t make the practice squad. Looks like a bad selection.

Advice to the waiver claims: Rent. The Jets were awarded claims on 10 players off waivers on Labor Day weekend from 2009-11. Only one, WR Patrick Turner, remains on the roster.
    Here’s the list:

FB Jason Davis [became expendable when John Conner was drafted the next year; currently in UFL]
    P A.J. Trapasso [waived the next day when he lost a ‘punt-off’ to Steve Weatherford. He is out of the NFL. To be fair, Weatherford and OLB Aaron Maybin both were good scrap-heap pickups for the Jets, but neither was a waiver claim. Nor was RT Austin Howard, although certainly the Jets found out about him through their waiver-wire mania. The book remains to be written on how good he will be]
    TE Matthew Mulligan [became a contributor as a blocker, but eventually was plagued by penalties. Now with Rams]

T Patrick Brown [waived later that season. Played last year with Minnesota, was waived yesterday to make room for Vikings’ mini-draftees]
    Dixon
    Turner

S Andrew Sendejo [claimed from Dallas, the Jets’ opening-night opponent, for spying purposes. Soon waived. Just survived Minnesota’s cutdown]
    QB Kevin O’Connell [brought in as third QB after injury to Greg McElroy. Never appeared in a game in 2011. Cut by San Diego this summer]
    WR Mardy Gilyard [waived last September. Caught TD pass for Eagles in win over Jets last week, waived by Iggles next day]
    C Colin Baxter [started two games at C when Nick Mangold was injured, waived shortly after Mangold returned. Waived by Chargers last week]

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post

Losers

But sixth-round G Robert Griffin from Baylor hasn’t been picked up and didn’t make the practice squad. Looks like a bad selection.
    LOL, our THIRD pick in the 6th round didn't make the team, so it "looks like a bad selection".

F*cking moronic, JP.

_

Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz
    Antonio Allen cleared waivers and has been signed to Jets practice squad, per source.

Antonio Allen cleared waivers and has been signed to Jets practice squad, per source.
    very happy for the Jets

also a bit surprised that no other team saw value in him ??

So of the 8 Jets draft picks

4 are on the jets 53 man roster..
    1 is on the Rams 53 man roster
    2 are on the Jets PS...
    1 is on the street, as of today (Griffin)...

So we can close this chapter and move on to Buffalo

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    very happy for the Jets

also a bit surprised that no other team saw value in him ??
    Well any other team would have to add him to their active roster, at least for a while. Allen played very well IMO but he is still a bit of a project for his position, and likely needs some technical seasoning before he can really play safety in the NFL. So, I am not surprised that no other team wants to try and fit him in at this late stage. Very happy to have him on our PS.

So of the 8 Jets draft picks

4 are on the jets 53 man roster..
    1 is on the Rams 53 man roster
    2 are on the Jets PS...
    1 is on the street, as of today (Griffin)...

So we can close this chapter and move on to Buffalo

Griffin was beaten out for a PS spot by an UDFA OT from this year. So another plus for the scouts.

Also DT Harrison was a great UDFA pickup.

Jets Insider VIP
    Great news. I have hopes for this kid. I am glad he is a Jet and will develop under great teachers!

Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    Well any other team would have to add him to their active roster, at least for a while. Allen played very well IMO but he is still a bit of a project for his position, and likely needs some technical seasoning before he can really play safety in the NFL. So, I am not surprised that no other team wants to try and fit him in at this late stage. Very happy to have him on our PS.

Yes, I think that really worked to our advantage - with Allen being a project and teams now focused exclusively on week 1.