Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Come on Coples...keep up!! LOL.
    LOL...I'm fading man...

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    LOL...I'm fading man...
    Go get some oxygen! we need you!

Quote Originally Posted by heymangold View Post
    Why do we need more defensive lineman? Answer is we don't. I liked Gates in the draft last year, but I though we needed a blocking TE? Instead we bring in a guy that got cut because he can block. Good.
    I think Cimini mentions it, Aaitui is a player that Sparano knows well, and was solid for Miami according to some reports, could be a salary cap move, and the reason they let go of Dixon.

Jets do need a blocking TE, how about we just have a little patience and let this play out, moves are being made all over roster.

Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN
    Jets saved $150K in base salary along the d-line by replacing Marcus Dixon with Isaako Aaitui

Jenny Vrentas ‏@JennyVrentas
    Dixon was due $540K. Heard some talk of financial "middle class" of players being in danger. Debate over keeping Conner ($540K) fits that.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    The Dixon release is very surprising

Two things come to mind, is Pou'ha ok, because with Aaitui, and keeping Harrison, that is 4 NT/DT's on roster to go with Pou'ha and Ellis.

Or, does Aaittui have versatility to play DE in 3-4, he has size comparable to Dixon and Wilkerson, where Harrison is more like Ellis.

Gates move is interesting, want to back and watch Miami pre-season games, to look at both players, Gates and Aaitui.

The TE pick-up is interesting, his talent seems to suggest he is a Josh Baker clone.
    Yes Reuland may not be a blocking TE, but he may make a good FB/Hback

Hall Of Fame
    From his agent. RT: @HowardShatsky: The NY Jets have released DL Marcus Dixon. #nyj
    WOW.

That is a head-scratcher. His salary isn't that bad. Seems like we are really counting pennies.

My two favorite defensive backups, Cole and Dixon are now gone.

Fire Tanny.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    I think Cimini mentions it, Aaitui is a player that Sparano knows well, and was solid for Miami according to some reports, could be a salary cap move, and the reason they let go of Dixon.

Jets do need a blocking TE, how about we just have a little patience and let this play out, moves are being made all over roster.
    Keep in mind none of the vested veteran free agents have signed yet either.

Excellent news about Sapp, I think he will be up with the team as soon as he's healthy, and could be a player that could have a similar impact that Maybin did last year.

Hate seeing Ganaway get picked up.

Jets need to pick up a RB, I saw Grimes signed back with the Houston PS, is he an option on the 53?

Hall Of Fame
    Of course, as we look at the team saving a few $100K, remember that Jets paid Drew Stanton a $500K SB in March before Tebow trade.

Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz
    From his agent RT @HowardShatsky: The NY Jets have released DL Marcus Dixon.

didn't see this one coming with Richardson being cut...Richardson resigned after week 1?

I really liked Dixon and his pass rush potential...ALittle baffling
    Scratching my head on this one as well.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    Rotoworld reports Gates was struggling to pick up the new Miami offense. But he already knows Sparano's offense so there shouldn't be that problem here. And the guy brings 4.37 speed which is a plus. Always good to have a few burners on the roster.
    We're not short on speed. that's about all Hill can offer right now, beside a blocker in the option package.

We're missing some physicality. A younger Plax. Every time Schilens or Turner try to bring that to the field, they leave in an ambulence.
    Last edited by Paradis; 09-01-2012 at 03:30 PM.

Maybe they sign Plax after week 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    We're not short on speed. that's about all Hill can offer right now, beside a blocker in the option package.

We're missing some physicality. A younger Plax. Every time Schilens or Turner try to bring that to the field, they leave in an ambulence.
    + 1000000

Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN
    Jets saved $150K in base salary along the d-line by replacing Marcus Dixon with Isaako Aaitui

Dixon was due $540K. Heard some talk of financial "middle class" of players being in danger. Debate over keeping Conner ($540K) fits that.

150K is spare change on a $120M salary cap. I hope it didn't come down to that over talent.

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Yes Reuland may not be a blocking TE, but he may make a good FB/Hback
    Might be a Connor replacement.

Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz
    From what I'm hearing, Gates will remind Jets fans of David Clowney

FINS FACT
    Clyde took an unusual route to the NFL. He quit football after his freshman year at Vernon (Texas) High School to concentrate on basketball, where he was a standout point guard. He walked on the basketball team at Tyler Junior College, but he left school after not appearing in any games in 2004-05. His high school coach set up tryouts for him with Georgia Tech and Georgetown, but Clyde could not afford the airfare and he returned home to Vernon. While home, he met the secondary coach at Abilene Christian, a Division II school, and he enrolled there in 2007 with his cousin and an old junior college friend, Johnny Knox, who now plays receiver for the Chicago Bears. Gates walked on the football team despite not having played for six years, and became a full-time starter in 2009, his junior year. “It’s a blessing,” Gates said. “It’s just part of a plan. I really had no control over (my situation),” Gates said. “I was just trailing my cousin. They talked me into it, and I just went for it, and it kind of worked out for the better.”

http://www.miamidolphins.com/team/ro...c-8859fe498cba

Sounds extremely raw...Returned 34 KOs last season for 25 yard avg

150K is spare change on a $120M salary cap. I hope it didn't come down to that over talent.
    I admittedly don't know how the two players compare, but I find it hard to believe they would give up a player already well versed in their system for "spare change". We gotta hope they see it as a potential upgrade, otherwise they should've just stayed pat . . .

FINS FACT
    Clyde took an unusual route to the NFL. He quit football after his freshman year at Vernon (Texas) High School to concentrate on basketball, where he was a standout point guard. He walked on the basketball team at Tyler Junior College, but he left school after not appearing in any games in 2004-05. His high school coach set up tryouts for him with Georgia Tech and Georgetown, but Clyde could not afford the airfare and he returned home to Vernon. While home, he met the secondary coach at Abilene Christian, a Division II school, and he enrolled there in 2007 with his cousin and an old junior college friend, Johnny Knox, who now plays receiver for the Chicago Bears. Gates walked on the football team despite not having played for six years, and became a full-time starter in 2009, his junior year. “It’s a blessing,” Gates said. “It’s just part of a plan. I really had no control over (my situation),” Gates said. “I was just trailing my cousin. They talked me into it, and I just went for it, and it kind of worked out for the better.”

http://www.miamidolphins.com/team/ro...c-8859fe498cba

Sounds extremely raw...Returned 34 KOs last season for 25 yard avg

Ugh

One thing I think Mangini got right is that he wanted players who lived and breathed football. Guys who loved the game and were totally committed.

Gates doesn't sound anything like that.

Hall Of Fame
    When you consider the Jets wasted $500K on the Drew Stanton deal, it makes you realize how these decisions impact other moves. $500k is basically what Dixon and Richardson make for the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post

Gates is exactly the kind of player I thought the Jets would be after, Gates' speed and Hill's speed is not the same. Hill is a thoroughbred, down field threat due to his long stride and speed, think Calvin Johnson, Moss, with their speed down field. Gates is shifty, probably a very good player who can run the WR screen and is dangerous short passing game and screen game, and I believe he's a returner, Jets needed this kind of player, that is why they were interested in Demps IMO. I also think this is why they didn't keep White, White doesn't have Gates' kind of speed, that and Sparano knows this player well enough that he apparently wanted him on the team.

I kind of liken Gates' speed and ability to a McCluster of the Chiefs, or Sanders of the Steelers.