Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RA Dickey- Cy Young?

RA Dickey- Cy Young?

3 pitchers in the NL have a shot as of this morning:

RA Dickey 17-4, 2.63, 190 k's

J Cueto 17-6, 2.48 era, 144 k's

G Gonzalez, 17-7, 3.10 era, 176 k's

shouldn't Dickey get extra credit for being on a team that has collapsed in the 2ndhalf (despite winning 5 of their last 6)??

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker134 View Post
    3 pitchers in the NL have a shot as of this morning:

RA Dickey 17-4, 2.63, 190 k's

J Cueto 17-6, 2.48 era, 144 k's

G Gonzalez, 17-7, 3.10 era, 176 k's

shouldn't Dickey get extra credit for being on a team that has collapsed in the 2ndhalf (despite winning 5 of their last 6)??
    Unless you are ridiculously better than playoff bound pitchers, like Felix was two years ago, you are not going to win the cy young. Sorry. Gio will finish higher in the voting with half a run higher era. After cueto wins of course.

You are incorrect. The Cy Young isn't the MVP. Dickey has as good a chance as the other two, and he's pitched for a team that until recently hasn't been competitive since the all star break.

Has as good of a chance as anyone in the NL. Even when his team blows, he still goes out and throws complete game shutouts. Not a Mets fan, but with his story and the fact that he's a knuckler I sure as hell hope he wins over a guy like Johnny f'n Cueto.

Hall Of Fame
    Yankee fan here. I hope he does win the Cy Young. I have a ton of respect for Dickey. He is all class. Would take him on my team any day.

Only problem is that I am not sure how they will vote. The Mets are out of it and he is not a traditional pitcher. I do not know whether or not those things will have an effect on the voters. But he is clearly in the conversation and has had a great year.

Hopefully the Mets keep him, I know they have him under control for next season but you would like to see them extend him now and avoid FA.

Mets just swept the Marlins and have won 7 of 8. 8 games out of the wild card....Dickey's next start at Citi Field should attract a lot of fans.

You are incorrect. The Cy Young isn't the MVP. Dickey has as good a chance as the other two, and he's pitched for a team that until recently hasn't been competitive since the all star break.

+1.....He also has pitched more innings than both Cueto and Gio....Plus he leads the league in whip and as a knuckleballer that is insane....

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Yankee fan here. I hope he does win the Cy Young. I have a ton of respect for Dickey. He is all class. Would take him on my team any day.

+100000000

-

Dickey the first pitcher in MLB to get 18 wins....I can't wait til the movie comes out about this remarkable man. Has anyone here read his book? It's superb, and the fact that he's having a season like this makes it even better. One of the best human interest/baseball stories of the year.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Dickey the first pitcher in MLB to get 18 wins....I can't wait til the movie comes out about this remarkable man.
    Dude.

-

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsmetsrangers View Post
    +1.....He also has pitched more innings than both Cueto and Gio....Plus he leads the league in whip and as a knuckleballer that is insane....
    I think that innings pitched is so under rated.

It is greatly more valuable to be a pitcher that gives you 7-8 innings rather than a guy who goes 6. When Dickey keeps going late into games, he saves the bullpen, strengthening the team for the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Dude.

-
    I know I know...easy on the man-love...but the movie rights to his book have already been sold- THAT"S what I was talkin 'bout!

Jets Insider VIP
    John Smoltz said last night that Dickey was the guy.

He has a chart that rates pitchers in about 6 or 7 categories and Dickey came out on top when everything is evaluated. I think his chart is excellent. Don't have time to look it up right now but it's worth checking out.

Interestingly, Kershaw was #2 even though his W-L is not very good this year. His other stats make up for it.

20 wins and another start to go....Dickey has to be the front runner for the Cy Young.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

20 wins and another start to go....Dickey has to be the front runner for the Cy Young.
    The Metsies made it interesting for him though...didnt they?

-

Jets Insider VIP
    The Metsies made it interesting for him though...didnt they?

-
    Thank God we have the yankees............. Jets dont provide much comfort.

All Pro
    He is virtually tied or second in the league for all 3 triple crown categories. .01 behind in ERA, #1 in strikeouts, one behind lead in wins Ibelieve.

That should get it. In addition, he is #1 in innings. With one more good start and a little luck, he could lead the NL in all 4 important categories, ERA, Wins, K's and innings. That has to win a Cy Young.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Thank God we have the yankees............. Jets dont provide much comfort.
    Bro...the Yanks makin you feel good?

That stagnant offense last night?

This week has epic chokiness written all over it if they dont wake up.

-

Bro...the Yanks makin you feel good?

That stagnant offense last night?

This week has epic chokiness written all over it if they dont wake up.

-
    Brother Green, this is an R.A. Dickey appreciation thread. If you want to talk about the Yankees you can do it in the Cashman's mistress thread that I started.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    Brother Green, this is an R.A. Dickey appreciation thread. If you want to talk about the Yankees you can do it in the Cashman's mistress thread that I started.
    O god, who cares.