Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: maybe a logical explanation for cutting 4 draft picks

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Bush wasn't cut...He's backup to Bell
    My bad. Missed him on the depth chart. Plus, there is so much moving around going on, all the Depth Charts online are not correct.

While not a debacle of a draft, still would have liked to seen more picks make the real squad - especially in the OL.

Pittsburgh took Beachum in the 7th and he is doing well for them. (Although he played tackle at SMU, he is probably a guard in the NFL b/c of his lack of height).

Veteran
    I understand all the reasons for the cuts; my reason for some disappoint in 2 of the cuts is BECAUSE I think Tanny found a couple of later round gems.

I just feel we got a 3/4 round talent in Allen and really hope isn't claimed by another team.

I like what I saw in Gannaway and it looks like he is going to have a career in this league. I really hope this move doesn't come back to burn us. If St. Louis gives him the opportunity he could develop into a better back than Greene IMHO.

White was resigned to the PS so that worked out okay; just hope Allen makes it thru as well. With Landry being so injury prone, I get the feeling he is going to miss a few games this year and we are going to need the depth.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by HardHittingJets View Post

So please explain to me how that is an indictment of the scouting dept. 4 of our draft picks make the roster, 2 other players the NYJ drafted were picked up to be on a final 53 roater. And the last two are on the practice squad.

That tells me the jets drafted well but there are guys on the team who are better
    It's only a damning indictment if the Patriots do it. After all it's common knowledge that the Jets roster is far superior.

Quote Originally Posted by HardHittingJets View Post
    Jets had 8 draft picks. Cut 4. Jordan white makes practice squad. Looks like Antonio allen will make practice squad if he clears waivers.

So please explain to me how that is an indictment of the scouting dept. 4 of our draft picks make the roster, 2 other players the NYJ drafted were picked up to be on a final 53 roater. And the last two are on the practice squad.

That tells me the jets drafted well but there are guys on the team who are better
    If this sort of thing happened to my fantasy football team I'd be laughed out of the league.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    The last few years, we are average at what?

The Jets went to 2 AFCCG's and finished 8-8 last year, THOSE are the facts, what exactly are you *****ing about?
    regular season...... We are barely 500. Less than 10 win average under REX. I loved the post season, we had 300 people in the JETS fan club here. But we need more talent, better decisions to get over the hump.

NO ONE except some JETS fans think the JETS are a SB caliber team.

Veteran

So Why Did the Dolphins Cut this Guy??

Was he hurt of something? You would think they would have taken a little more time with a guy with this kind of "raw" talent and ELITE speed. It will interesting to see what the deal is here.... I read that Sparano is very high on him.

Well one mans trash is anothers' treasure!

Home » Scouting Reports » Edmund Gates Scouting Report

Separation Skills: Edmund Gates is an extraordinary athlete with the gift of speed. He shows excellent separation skills during deep routes. If given an inch, he’ll take the top off the defense. On underneath crossing routes, he displays the ability to catch the ball and accelerate from defenders. The speed that he has is quite amazing. Time and time again he’s blowing by defenders even when they’ve taken the proper angles. All of that being said, he is very raw when it comes to executing intermediate NFL style routes. He tends to drift into his breaks and will often round things off. Gates had limited experience on the football field time prior to joining the Abilene Christian football team. His first love was basketball and he originally played that sport before being kick off of his JUCO team.

Ball Skills: Despite his lack of experience, he already has learned the art of catching the football. He rarely lets the ball into his frame, showing a propensity at extending his arms and plucking the ball from the air. Gates does a nice job of timing his leaps, meeting the ball at his vertex. He also shows a great amount of focus, especially when in heavy traffic. Somehow some way, he’ll come down with a difficult catch while a defender is draped all over him.

Big play ability: No matter what you want to say about the level of competition Gates faced week in and week out, he is a bona fide deep threat. Watching him blow by defenders is quite funny. The only way I can compare this particular type of speed is by comparing it to a Ferrari vs a Honda Civic. Gates is one of the rare athletes in the nation to possess 4.3 speed. In fact, he ran a 4.37, but he did so with a pulled groin. In all honesty, I believe he is capable of running the the high 4.2′s when fully healthy. The great thing about Gates is that not only he is excellent deep down the field, but he is also excellent in the short game. Bubble screens, drags, reverses, he can take them all to the house. He has the lateral quickness and elusiveness to go along with his speed. Big plays are the name of the game for Gates.

Competitiveness/ Toughness: Has a real nice frame and isn’t afraid to use it. He shows no qualms about going over the middle or blocking in the running game. Plays with a good deal of passion and his teammates feed off of that.
    Intangibles: Gates was a 2010 team captain for the Wildcats. He’s endured some life hardships and has been surrounded by some not-so-great character people, but it seems as if he has maintained himself on a straightened arrow. Prior to his collegiate career as a receiver for the Wildcats, he played basketball at a Community College. During his sophomore year he was kicked off of the team due to being out of shape. Since then, he has had no character issues come up. Also, Gates is an older athlete (24).

Overall Stock: Since showing an uncanny amount of toughness and athleticism at the 2011 NFL Scouting Combine, Gates has received an enormous amount of attention from NFL teams. I mean, who runs a 4.37 forty-yard dash, verts 40 inches, and broad jumps 10.6 feet with a pulled groin?! There’s no wonder why he is a popular guy 3 weeks before the draft. With visits set up with multiple teams, I look for Gates to come off the board in the third round. Whichever team pulls the trigger on him will get a weapon.

That weapon may malfunction initially, but once its greased and massaged, it will become lethal. The thing that makes Gates so special is that he is not the typical speedster. He is a big receiver that can work all sections of the field. Give Gates a season or two, and we’ll be seeing highlights of him blowing by defenders on all national sports shows.

NFL Comparison: Greg Jennings

http://withthefirstpick.com/2011/04/...outing-report/

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by jxc View Post
    If this sort of thing happened to my fantasy football team I'd be laughed out of the league.
    The abject idiocy of the idiotic content of this idiotic statement actually is offending to real idiots.

_

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Well lets see, youre drafting established players with NFL history of success. Not low level college kids.

And your entire team is made up of a handful of picks.

kind of makes the analogy quite stupid.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    I assume you are happy with the FB TE RB and OL? They needed upgrades and didn't get it in the draft.
    I'd respect that more If you show me your post the day after the draft where you outline all of the FB TE RB OL that were available, instead of the picks that we cut, and are now sticking with other teams and looking like they'll contribute.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    The draft picks being released aren't what bothers me (aside from Allen, who I really liked).

Dixon being cut bothers me. He was a solid contributor and was under contract at a very reasonable number.
    Maybe they had to cut him for a future roster move? The D line is stacked, making him expendable. I liked him, too. Heard him call in to the Jets Insider show a couple of weeks back and he really sounded happy to be a Jet and very humble.

Quote Originally Posted by shevys View Post
    Maybe they had to cut him for a future roster move? The D line is stacked, making him expendable. I liked him, too. Heard him call in to the Jets Insider show a couple of weeks back and he really sounded happy to be a Jet and very humble.
    I was disappointed about Dixon as well. But his versatility might have been his downfall. His DE reps will be taken by Coples. And his DT / NT reps will be taken by bigger guys with more potential inside like Harrison. So he really just got squeezed out by the significantly improved talent on the DL.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    regular season...... We are barely 500. Less than 10 win average under REX. I loved the post season, we had 300 people in the JETS fan club here. But we need more talent, better decisions to get over the hump.

NO ONE except some JETS fans think the JETS are a SB caliber team.
    Question: who thought the NY Giants were a SB caliber team prior to 2007 and 2011?

NFC is a 3 team race between Giants, 49ers and Packers.

AFC is about as wide open as it gets. I don't buy the hype about the Patriots, Ravens lost Suggs and Steelers are in a transition period. Broncos have a shot but Peyton's history in the playoffs speaks for itself.

The Jet defense has a chance to be the best in the entire NFL if Coples gives us pass rush right away. Our offense is a train wreck right now but maybe Tanny wakes up and gets us some help or maybe we just get lucky.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Question: who thought the NY Giants were a SB caliber team prior to 2007 and 2011?

AFC is about as wide open as it gets. I don't buy the hype about the Patriots, Ravens lost Suggs and Steelers are in a transition period. Broncos have a shot but Peyton's history in the playoffs speaks for itself.

The Jet defense has a chance to be the best in the entire NFL if Coples gives us pass rush right away. Our offense is a train wreck right now but maybe Tanny wakes up and gets us some help or maybe we just get lucky.
    I further youir point....I call them, the 9-7 SB champs. In 2007 and 2011 we played the Giants and they beat us both times. Not by much. We could have won.

In BOTH instances, had we won, they miss the playoffs. Think about that.

The JETS directly allowed the GIANTS to the SB....

Difference is THEY have a team that could beat any NFC team and in 2007 we would need to face the PATS and 2011 not sure who we could beat. We beat NO one with a winning record that year.

For this year..I am hopeful that we can muster ENOUGH to get 10 wins. I think we can and I have more bets ON THE JETS this year than ANY year. I have bets with cowboys fans that we will win more games than they will. I have bets with Steeler fans for week 2. I have bets with JETS fans where I take the OVER 8 games.

Veteran

For the love of God I wish people would stop saying this. It is like someone has hypnotized the masses or something.

WE DON'T KNOW HOW GOOD OR BAD THE OFFENSE WILL BE. WE WENT THROUGH THE PRESEASON WITHOUT OUR STARTING RECEIVERS AND TES WHILE IMPROVING OUR OL. WE ALSO DIDN'T SHOW MUCH OF ANYTHING OF THE NEW OFFENSE.

Our offense will be definitely be a work in progress but can we let them play a game or two first and see how good or bad the offense is when it actually counts?

The key was us shoring up our OL before the season began. If Hunter started 16 games the Jets wouldn't have won 5 of them. But with Howard or Smith at RT I think the Jets now have a solid O line. If Sanchez picks up his game and some of our young WR step up, this team could be dangerous. The defense is already potentially scary with all that talent on the DL.

I'm laughing at you now comparing a NFL team and how it operates to a fantasy league team

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Well lets see, youre drafting established players with NFL history of success. Not low level college kids.

And your entire team is made up of a handful of picks.

kind of makes the analogy quite stupid.
    You think that's stupid you should see the guys that over-analyze jokes on a discussion board.... oh wait... that's you and Stoker Ace.

Sorry about that.

Jets Insider VIP
    You think that's stupid you should see the guys that over-analyze jokes on a discussion board.... oh wait... that's you and Stoker Ace.

Sorry about that.
    those who need to attack posters on a message board well.... As I shake my head. There are 3 or 4 here that vcall other posters or posts stupid, moron etc... Children.