Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 98

Thread: maybe a logical explanation for cutting 4 draft picks

  1. #41

    Angry

    What so now it has gotten so bad that we have to make excuses for the accountant and DC picking 4 $hit players and having to either cut them away or put them in the f'ing bathroom (Practice Squad)?

  2. #42
    The issue here is that the players taken in the later rounds who got cut or who went to the PS were most likely the best players available at the time...not that this team is stacked but we are pretty good...the fact that we cut a safety should not be surprising. If we really felt like we needed a safety, we would have probably signed Leonhard again. The Dixon cut was surprising but lets be real...how much impact has he had and how many snaps has he had the last two years. I thought he would be safe but that wasn't the case. It happens...maybe he comes back if someone goes down. Fact is, we might never know the front offices reason for letting him go....

    Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

  3. #43
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    15,569
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH_1962 View Post
    What so now it has gotten so bad that we have to make excuses for the accountant and DC picking 4 $hit players and having to either cut them away or put them in the f'ing bathroom (Practice Squad)?
    Jerky, when was the last time he worked as an accountant?

    Which team?

    Which season?

    Can you stop with the moronic comments based on the fact that you are a clueless moron?

  4. #44
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    3,099
    Quote Originally Posted by frankiepapa View Post
    The issue here is that the players taken in the later rounds who got cut or who went to the PS were most likely the best players available at the time...not that this team is stacked but we are pretty good...the fact that we cut a safety should not be surprising. If we really felt like we needed a safety, we would have probably signed Leonhard again. The Dixon cut was surprising but lets be real...how much impact has he had and how many snaps has he had the last two years. I thought he would be safe but that wasn't the case. It happens...maybe he comes back if someone goes down. Fact is, we might never know the front offices reason for letting him go....

    Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
    I hope you are right. If we are "pretty good" than fine. Rex has an opportunity to prove that during the season. If our offense continues like they have played the last 4weeks, than Tanny and Rex are going to be asked some very difficult questions. Its hard to be confident after watching this offense the last month of Dec. and this August.

    I just dont buy the notion that we are "hiding" our game plans. All that does is gives us a slight advantage against Buffalo. If we have to rely on secrecy to beat Buffalo at home, we are in deep trouble this year.

  5. #45

    i wrote the original post

    Its amazing how much of a tangent people go on without actually arguing the facts.

    1. If the jets drafted poorly then why are 6 of the 8 draft picks on an nfl roster, not practice squad?

    2. Each team is only allowed to carry 53 players. When you draft a player, let's take ganaway for an example. Ganaway may have been the best player available on the jets board. The jets draft him, he goes through training camp and he can't beat out the current players on the roster. So the jets cut him and ganaway ends up on another teams roster.

    In essence ganaway is the fourth best runnung back on the jets but the third best back for another team. That's more an argument that the jets draft well. Am I right?

  6. #46
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    3,099
    I think my issue isn't the fact that 6 or our picks are on someone's roster. My problem is that we drafted a 4th RB while Hunter was our starting RT. Granted, a 6th round pick isn't likely to start opening day, but with Slauson being a 6th round pick and starting his second season.

    The bottom of our roster is a joke. If anyone can tell me the last time ANY team cut 4 of their picks before opening day, I would appreciate it. Again, it is not like we have a super bowl roster where we are elite top to bottom.

  7. #47
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    15,569
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    I think my issue isn't the fact that 6 or our picks are on someone's roster. My problem is that we drafted a 4th RB while Hunter was our starting RT. Granted, a 6th round pick isn't likely to start opening day, but with Slauson being a 6th round pick and starting his second season.

    The bottom of our roster is a joke. If anyone can tell me the last time ANY team cut 4 of their picks before opening day, I would appreciate it. Again, it is not like we have a super bowl roster where we are elite top to bottom.
    Who gives a sh1t about the 4 bottom feeder picks, better than dumping a high pick. These are interchangeable players. A lot of these players are forced on you given how many picks in the draft is at that point. If someone you liked is now available, go for it, don't keep what you were stuck with because a bunch of internet dweebs somehow think its bad or never been done.

    Somehow cutting a 7th round pick to sign a KR that is needed due to an injury is a knock on the FO?
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 09-02-2012 at 12:41 AM.

  8. #48
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    3,099
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Who gives a sh1t about the 4 bottom feeder picks, better than dumping a high pick. These are interchangeable players. A lot of these players are forced on you given how many picks in the draft is at that point. If someone you liked is now available, go for it, don't keep what you were stuck with because a bunch of internet dweebs somehow think its bad or never been done.

    Somehow cutting a 7th round pick to sign a KR that is needed due to an injury is a knock on the FO?
    Again, The Pittsburghs and the Green Bays dont cut half their drafts EVER. they have holes but are still elite top to bottom. We will see how this team matches up with the league's elite very early this season. Either our scouting department is not on the same page with the HC or they suck. Period. We are not that good of a team to be dismissing that many picks. Its short sighted. Hopefully the short term gain will outweigh the fact that we just refuse to have rookies on our roster.

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    I think my issue isn't the fact that 6 or our picks are on someone's roster. My problem is that we drafted a 4th RB while Hunter was our starting RT. Granted, a 6th round pick isn't likely to start opening day, but with Slauson being a 6th round pick and starting his second season.

    The bottom of our roster is a joke. If anyone can tell me the last time ANY team cut 4 of their picks before opening day, I would appreciate it. Again, it is not like we have a super bowl roster where we are elite top to bottom.
    In general can you really tell the difference between a player picked in 6th/7th round and an UDFA?

    You keep bringing up cutting 4 picks. These were picks 200+. These weren't players picked in the top or even middle of the draft.

    JMO Griffin is the only pick that didnt appear worthy of using a pick on.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    In general can you really tell the difference between a player picked in 6th/7th round and an UDFA?

    You keep bringing up cutting 4 picks. These were picks 200+. These weren't players picked in the top or even middle of the draft.

    JMO Griffin is the only pick that didnt appear worthy of using a pick on.
    i agree, b/c of the guard depth they have.

    what people like pcola are missing, is that the draft is so much luck, both in terms of whether a guy in a late round is good, and what positions your team needs, which is often based on injuries. maybe the jets wanted to keep ganaway, but due to the TE injuries, they needed an extra spot for a backup TE.

    i don't care if the jets bring back antonio allen. i just want them to get someone they think can help them. if coples, hill, davis and bush all contribute this year, that's a very good draft.

  11. #51
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    greenwich village, NYC
    Posts
    8,169
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    i agree, b/c of the guard depth they have.

    what people like pcola are missing, is that the draft is so much luck, both in terms of whether a guy in a late round is good, and what positions your team needs, which is often based on injuries. maybe the jets wanted to keep ganaway, but due to the TE injuries, they needed an extra spot for a backup TE.

    i don't care if the jets bring back antonio allen. i just want them to get someone they think can help them. if coples, hill, davis and bush all contribute this year, that's a very good draft.
    As a general rule, if you get two starters out of a draft, you are doing pretty well. The statistics on late round picks (4-7) is dismal overall. Very few make it relative to the number picked, not to mention UDFA's. There is a common distortion to focus on somebody like Terrell Davis or Tom Brady and assume that such talent should be known to everyone. These are rare success stories from late in the draft statistically and typically flyers by the teams that select them.

  12. #52
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,749
    Quote Originally Posted by HardHittingJets View Post
    Its amazing how much of a tangent people go on without actually arguing the facts.

    1. If the jets drafted poorly then why are 6 of the 8 draft picks on an nfl roster, not practice squad?

    2. Each team is only allowed to carry 53 players. When you draft a player, let's take ganaway for an example. Ganaway may have been the best player available on the jets board. The jets draft him, he goes through training camp and he can't beat out the current players on the roster. So the jets cut him and ganaway ends up on another teams roster.

    In essence ganaway is the fourth best runnung back on the jets but the third best back for another team. That's more an argument that the jets draft well. Am I right?
    Yes you are right! I loved the Allen selection and was surprised when he was cut. but he is not exactly what we needed at SS at this time. If he clears waivers he could be on the PS where he will hone his skills and beat out Smith next year! To be critical of the FO for this move is silly and from people operating in a confused state of mind!

    I'd rather we have to cut 4 our 8 pickes EVERY year. That shows we are building a deeply stocked team. If 8 out of 8 make the team every year and we lose, what have we accomplished? I think our depth is starting to be very noticable these days. Look at our new PS. A few years ago these guys possibly would have been on the 53 man roster! Players like Dixon would be assured of a spot! Now everyone knows that either they come up to standards or are gone! Conner would be gone if not for the injury to baker!

  13. #53
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    5,504
    I look at it as being that the draft is for building the team not just for this year, but for a few years ahead. If you have talent that you do not need now, but might need next year, keeping it on the PS is a good option.

    So - next year we will probably lose one starting guard (maybe even two - both are FA's). Having an extra guard on our practice squad gives us more options next year, and he's been around the team / our system in that time.

    Similarly we may need a complete overhaul at safety next year, depending on how Landry and Bell work this year. So having another guy on the PS isn't a bad option. If we choose to move on from Greene at RB, then Ganaway may be an option for depth etc.

    Decent GM's have to look beyond the "right here, right now" and build through the draft where possible. Hopefully this is what we are doing.

  14. #54
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    5,504
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    If anyone can tell me the last time ANY team cut 4 of their picks before opening day, I would appreciate it. Again, it is not like we have a super bowl roster where we are elite top to bottom.
    I can't remember when all the guys were cut exactly, but the Patsie draft of 2007 sticks in my mind as where most of their picks were gone PDQ. (I think we even picked up Oldenburg and Brown straight away).

    The draft we had this year had a rather big gap in it (no 4's / 5th's). If we'd picked in the 4th or 5th we'd have kept more of those guys I'm sure. 6th's and 7th's are very expendable IMHO.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    As a general rule, if you get two starters out of a draft, you are doing pretty well. The statistics on late round picks (4-7) is dismal overall. Very few make it relative to the number picked, not to mention UDFA's. There is a common distortion to focus on somebody like Terrell Davis or Tom Brady and assume that such talent should be known to everyone. These are rare success stories from late in the draft statistically and typically flyers by the teams that select them.
    i'm amazed at all the complaining over losing allen, ganaway and griffin.

    the real travesty would be if coples stunk and hill stunk.

    what's funny is that on the one hand, people complain the jets didn't have depth at RT and TE. then the jets trade their worst player for a guy who's definitely an upgrade at RT and who could start any day. and they pick up a TE who provides depth to a unit with injuries. sometimes it's easy to forget that whenever a guy is picked up, another guy has to be dropped to make room for him. you want another TE, ok, well then you have to drop your 4th best RB.

  16. #56
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,546
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    i'm amazed at all the complaining over losing allen, ganaway and griffin.

    the real travesty would be if coples stunk and hill stunk.

    what's funny is that on the one hand, people complain the jets didn't have depth at RT and TE. then the jets trade their worst player for a guy who's definitely an upgrade at RT and who could start any day. and they pick up a TE who provides depth to a unit with injuries. sometimes it's easy to forget that whenever a guy is picked up, another guy has to be dropped to make room for him. you want another TE, ok, well then you have to drop your 4th best RB.
    I've scanned the board, I mentioned it once, and a few others chimed in.

    The real point I believe many are making is that our FO appears to not be in FULL sync. NOT terrible, not awful, just could be better, like PITT, GB, Giants etc... 50 percent of the league is undrafted per Steve Smith so these picks do matter. The fail rate is high agreed. YET..even MORE a reason why choosing Conner, Vlad, Wilson etc.... need be carefully reviewed since we all know the fail rate.

    I believe we will win 10 games. The Tebow selection is open for debate where we dropped our pick a few levels. BUT....it is not correct to say these picks don't matter if in fact HALF the league is undrafted.

  17. #57
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornwood, NY
    Posts
    5,640
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    Again, The Pittsburghs and the Green Bays dont cut half their drafts EVER. they have holes but are still elite top to bottom. We will see how this team matches up with the league's elite very early this season. Either our scouting department is not on the same page with the HC or they suck. Period. We are not that good of a team to be dismissing that many picks. Its short sighted. Hopefully the short term gain will outweigh the fact that we just refuse to have rookies on our roster.
    Packers are so elite top-to-bottom they brought in Cedric Benson last week and he's now their starter.

    Steelers are so deep that they have only 4 WRs on their 53-man roster and the best one is disgruntled with no long-term contract.

    No team is elite top-to-bottom. Every team has strengths and weaknesses. And if it's even remotely true, not cutting half your draft picks isn't necessarily a sign of good drafting. It could just be a sign of preferring to pay a lower salary to bench depth than if you pick up veterans. But lets just keep talking in absolutes and all-caps because it's fun.

  18. #58
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Vinegar Hill, Brooklyn ...
    Posts
    2,231
    Quote Originally Posted by Limolady View Post
    I'm expecting the unexpected this season & have a feeling luck and skill is on their side. Get to the altar, get the ring. Would be nice. (-;
    For a moment there I thought you were telling us you are getting married during the season

  19. #59
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Blue Ridge Mtns. of Virginia
    Posts
    2,849
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    I've scanned the board, I mentioned it once, and a few others chimed in.

    The real point I believe many are making is that our FO appears to not be in FULL sync. NOT terrible, not awful, just could be better, like PITT, GB, Giants etc... 50 percent of the league is undrafted per Steve Smith so these picks do matter. The fail rate is high agreed. YET..even MORE a reason why choosing Conner, Vlad, Wilson etc.... need be carefully reviewed since we all know the fail rate.

    I believe we will win 10 games. The Tebow selection is open for debate where we dropped our pick a few levels. BUT....it is not correct to say these picks don't matter if in fact HALF the league is undrafted.
    I don't know where you got this idea, but it's totally false. Any NFL fan paying attention should know that number is way off. There are a lot of UDFA's, yes...and they're great stories so we always hear about them when they "make it", so that extra attention may make it seem like the percentage is even a bit higher. But it's no where near half the league. Come on! I'm going to look it up, but I'd be surprised if it's over 20% (which, by the way, is a very high number given these guys were passed over 250 times or so during the draft).

  20. #60
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,546
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    Packers are so elite top-to-bottom they brought in Cedric Benson last week and he's now their starter.

    Steelers are so deep that they have only 4 WRs on their 53-man roster and the best one is disgruntled with no long-term contract.

    No team is elite top-to-bottom. Every team has strengths and weaknesses. And if it's even remotely true, not cutting half your draft picks isn't necessarily a sign of good drafting. It could just be a sign of preferring to pay a lower salary to bench depth than if you pick up veterans. But lets just keep talking in absolutes and all-caps because it's fun.
    Fair point but are you really saying from a team standpoint we have done as well top to bottom as PITT and GB or the GIANTS?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us