Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: maybe a logical explanation for cutting 4 draft picks

maybe a logical explanation for cutting 4 draft picks

Jets had 8 draft picks. Cut 4. Jordan white makes practice squad. Looks like Antonio allen will make practice squad if he clears waivers.

So please explain to me how that is an indictment of the scouting dept. 4 of our draft picks make the roster, 2 other players the NYJ drafted were picked up to be on a final 53 roater. And the last two are on the practice squad.

That tells me the jets drafted well but there are guys on the team who are better

Or Rex and Tanny just don't know how to pick.

All Pro
    Stop being logical. You are about to be bombarded with Whiney srobbing SOJFs on their ladies days.

Too late

This just feels odd because we don't typically draft 8 players. Most Tanny drafts we come away with 5 players tops.

Also, these guys who got cut were all 6th/7th rounders. We had a lot of late picks this year.

From what I know, the guys cut were all late picks so they really didn't matter much anyway.

It's not as if we cut Coples or Hill.

Hall Of Fame
    If we somehow traded down and down and down and were awarded a bunch of compensatory picks and we ended up with 15 seventh rounders--it is quite possible, no, PROBABLE, that 12 would be cut.

Yet some total morans here would complain that WE CUT TWELVE DRAFT PICKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

_

Quote Originally Posted by srobjets View Post
    Or Rex and Tanny just don't know how to pick.
    Troll harder... please, your posts add so much to this board. I am not sure what we'd do without you...

This is how the draft works, most of these guys don't make it. Your draft is good if you can get a couple of keepers from it. If you land 1 star and the rest suck, then you are good. If Quinton Coples, Stephen Hill, and Demario Davis all end up as starters, this was a very good draft. No one cares about the later picks. The Patriots released guys back there all of the time.

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Troll harder... please, your posts add so much to this board. I am not sure what we'd do without you...
    Now that was funny and what would some on this board do if they weren't verbally kicking the GM and HC in the nuts? I think it's nuts that people go to games, wear their NY Jets gear and curse out the team win or lose, for all four quarters. Non stop.

I personally think this is all much ado about nothing. How many other teams are starting their draft picks next weekend? You'd have to be blind not to see the reasons why they lost all their preseason games. Smart move to stick to the script and get the lay of the land with running routes by the book. I'm expecting the unexpected this season & have a feeling luck and skill is on their side. Get to the altar, get the ring. Would be nice. (-;

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by HardHittingJets View Post
    Jets had 8 draft picks. Cut 4. Jordan white makes practice squad. Looks like Antonio allen will make practice squad if he clears waivers.

So please explain to me how that is an indictment of the scouting dept. 4 of our draft picks make the roster, 2 other players the NYJ drafted were picked up to be on a final 53 roater. And the last two are on the practice squad.

That tells me the jets drafted well but there are guys on the team who are better
    With the holes that needed to be filled on offense, you need those picks to be good enough to be backups now. Veterans are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    This is how the draft works, most of these guys don't make it. Your draft is good if you can get a couple of keepers from it. If you land 1 star and the rest suck, then you are good. If Quinton Coples, Stephen Hill, and Demario Davis all end up as starters, this was a very good draft. No one cares about the later picks. The Patriots released guys back there all of the time.
    Exactly. I think some fans just expect every pick to be a superstar.

Just doesn't work like that.

Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    I think you better re-evaluate the part about no one cares about the late round picks. Take a look at Packers and see just how many of their later round picks contribute.

The point for me is that this is not a stacked team where rookies and picks should have no chance to make the team. The big beef is looking at a young guy with a lot of potential for improvement vs a vet that has topped out as a jag like Turner or a vet clearly past it and a major liability like eric smith.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Stop being logical. You are about to be bombarded with Whiney srobbing SOJFs on their ladies days.

Too late
    well said! rotflmao

Jets Insider VIP
    The draft picks being released aren't what bothers me (aside from Allen, who I really liked).

Dixon being cut bothers me. He was a solid contributor and was under contract at a very reasonable number.

Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    With the holes that needed to be filled on offense, you need those picks to be good enough to be backups now. Veterans are expensive.
    Yup, they need rookies to replace expensive vets like Kerley, Turner and Hill.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Yup, they need rookies to replace expensive vets like Kerley, Turner and Hill.
    I assume you are happy with the FB TE RB and OL? They needed upgrades and didn't get it in the draft.

All Pro
    The teams that have a preponderance of 6th and 7th rounders on their roster - what's their record?

For SOJFs it's the Brady factor - the fear that the low round pick the Jets cut will become an all-time great just like that statistical freak

When Jets trade up for the likes of Revis and Harris, or get productive starters like Jones and even when he was healthy Jenkins, who gives a crap about the lower picks they wheeled away

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I think you better re-evaluate the part about no one cares about the late round picks. Take a look at Packers and see just how many of their later round picks contribute.

The point for me is that this is not a stacked team where rookies and picks should have no chance to make the team. The big beef is looking at a young guy with a lot of potential for improvement vs a vet that has topped out as a jag like Turner or a vet clearly past it and a major liability like eric smith.
    money aside, the two major things to consider when deciding what to do with a player are his ability to help a team now, and his potential.

let's take the ability to help the team now first: it's a pretty good bet that if patrick turner were cut he'd be picked up by someone...he wouldn't be out of the NFL. same for E. Smith. Jordan White on the other hand, was passed over on waivers by all 32 teams. We'll see about Allen, but there seems to be some thought he also will clear waivers. So, clearly, in both cases the vet has more ability to help a team now.

as for potential, White and Allen MAY have more than the two vets (it's debatable, but hopefully they do). However, White is on our PS so we haven't lost a thing in terms of our chance to one day exploit that potential. If Allen also ends up on the PS the same will be true for him.

so, I really don't see how either move can be called a bad one at this point. If Allen gets nabbed by someone else, then it could be a different story.

All Pro
    I'm sorry that I have a problem with it, but that doesn't make me wrong about it. Maybe I just hold the FO to a higher standard. And I think it's pretty hypocritical because a few years back, the pats cut half of their draft and we mocked them big time. It's that I just can't accept any of the excuses. "We didn't need griffin," then why draft him? "We already have four other safety's," Rex and Tanny say they choose the best players regardless, and there's no way he has less upside than smith (especially at smiths $$$) and there's no way he's worse than trufant. "He didn't beat out McKnight or Powell," maybe, but he beat out Conner. That's pretty clear. Conner has been terrible.

I guess my biggest problem with all of that is, there are positions of need, like a blocking TE, and if these guys were such flyers, especially like griffin, why not take a flyer on a position we ACTUALLY need. Draft a TE that could possibly be good at blocking instead of Griffin. You can find these kind of gems late, like Joel Dreessen. Too bad the team that drafted him did this very same thing, oh wait...

Quote Originally Posted by Megalomaniac View Post
    I'm sorry that I have a problem with it, but that doesn't make me wrong about it. Maybe I just hold the FO to a higher standard. And I think it's pretty hypocritical because a few years back, the pats cut half of their draft and we mocked them big time. It's that I just can't accept any of the excuses. "We didn't need griffin," then why draft him? "We already have four other safety's," Rex and Tanny say they choose the best players regardless, and there's no way he has less upside than smith (especially at smiths $$$) and there's no way he's worse than trufant. "He didn't beat out McKnight or Powell," maybe, but he beat out Conner. That's pretty clear. Conner has been terrible.

I guess my biggest problem with all of that is, there are positions of need, like a blocking TE, and if these guys were such flyers, especially like griffin, why not take a flyer on a position we ACTUALLY need. Draft a TE that could possibly be good at blocking instead of Griffin. You can find these kind of gems late, like Joel Dreessen. Too bad the team that drafted him did this very same thing, oh wait...
    So you don't feel we needed depth at OL, RB, WR and S? Because those are the four positions we drafted/waived.

There's a reason the draft is called a crap-shoot. If these guys had panned out, we'd be talking about the "steals" Tanny got. Instead, we get to groom these guys on PS and see if they turn into something.

Either way, it's a little disingenuous to say "well, they should've drafted a blocking TE" when we have no idea if that pick would've been any more successful than the ones we made . . .