Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: maybe a logical explanation for cutting 4 draft picks

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalomaniac View Post
    I'm sorry that I have a problem with it, but that doesn't make me wrong about it. Maybe I just hold the FO to a higher standard. And I think it's pretty hypocritical because a few years back, the pats cut half of their draft and we mocked them big time. It's that I just can't accept any of the excuses. "We didn't need griffin," then why draft him? "We already have four other safety's," Rex and Tanny say they choose the best players regardless, and there's no way he has less upside than smith (especially at smiths $$$) and there's no way he's worse than trufant. "He didn't beat out McKnight or Powell," maybe, but he beat out Conner. That's pretty clear. Conner has been terrible.

I guess my biggest problem with all of that is, there are positions of need, like a blocking TE, and if these guys were such flyers, especially like griffin, why not take a flyer on a position we ACTUALLY need. Draft a TE that could possibly be good at blocking instead of Griffin. You can find these kind of gems late, like Joel Dreessen. Too bad the team that drafted him did this very same thing, oh wait...
    We mocked them because they kept using high picks to get lower picks and then cut them, and they were praised for it.

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Yup, they need rookies to replace expensive vets like Kerley, Turner and Hill.
    And Ducasse, Schlauderaff, Cumberland, Konrad Reuland, Powell, McKnight, McElroy...

Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    So you don't feel we needed depth at OL, RB, WR and S? Because those are the four positions we drafted/waived.

There's a reason the draft is called a crap-shoot. If these guys had panned out, we'd be talking about the "steals" Tanny got. Instead, we get to groom these guys on PS and see if they turn into something.

Either way, it's a little disingenuous to say "well, they should've drafted a blocking TE" when we have no idea if that pick would've been any more successful than the ones we made . . .
    I don't believe well run organizations...including the JETS call it a crap shoot. late rounds....maybe perhaps tongue and cheek but it is the only sure way to build long term talent.

All League
    Well lets put it this way, how many draft picks did GB, NYG, or Balt cut this year? these three teams are perenial winning franchises who arguably have very deep rosters. i'd be willing to say that these three teams cut less than 4 draft picks from this draft COMBINED.

Now maybe, Rex is right and we are looking at a roster that will bring us double digit wins and a deep run in the playoffs. Some how i doubt it.

What I see is one of two things:

A. the GM/HC/Scouting dept. are not all on the same page.

B. we have a gm that is constantly changing philosophies. His first year as GM, he put a premium on the offensive line. Since then, it has been completely ignored. his fourth year, he brought in a rookie QB and then wanted to surround him with vets at the skill positions. since then they have done nothing to he him.

IMO, if we having a losing record, the GM has to go. bring in an experienced front office guy (not Polian) that can make the determination on Rex.

it is just frustrating that we are filling voids on our roster on cut down day.

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    We mocked them because they kept using high picks to get lower picks and then cut them, and they were praised for it.
    LOL, yeah, just a small little tidbit that some fans might want to remember.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    I don't believe well run organizations...including the JETS call it a crap shoot. late rounds....maybe perhaps tongue and cheek but it is the only sure way to build long term talent.
    I asked you in another thread, the Pats have one of the worst drafting records in the last 5 years, they are a winning organization, they have been releasing draft picks left and right, 1st round, 2nd round, 3rd, 4th, etc, if well run organizations don't do this, then what happened with the Pats?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    I asked you in another thread, the Pats have one of the worst drafting records in the last 5 years, they are a winning organization, they have been releasing draft picks left and right, 1st round, 2nd round, 3rd, 4th, etc, if well run organizations don't do this, then what happened with the Pats?

I am not a PATS fan ...don't care. the PATS and JETS record speak for themselves. our Reg season record says we are average, perhaps slightly above... It's very simple.

All League
    Well since the Pats win more than 12 games every season, they can do what ever the hell they want. We have a roster that is void of talent in several units. i just find it hard to believe that our scouts would be in agreement with some of these cuts.

i cant remember EVER hearing a team give up on 4 draft picks before opening day. I get that one of them is currently on the PS and there is optimism that Allen will join White tomorrow, but its alarming.

If we had a stacked roster, than i could at least rationalize the cuts, but this team, this year....this is something that a front office that is on the hot seat would be doing. Sacrificing player development for The "win now" situation. Maybe Woody has privately given Tanny and Rex the ultimatum.

Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    Well lets put it this way, how many draft picks did GB, NYG, or Balt cut this year? these three teams are perenial winning franchises who arguably have very deep rosters. i'd be willing to say that these three teams cut less than 4 draft picks from this draft COMBINED.

Now maybe, Rex is right and we are looking at a roster that will bring us double digit wins and a deep run in the playoffs. Some how i doubt it.

What I see is one of two things:

A. the GM/HC/Scouting dept. are not all on the same page.

B. we have a gm that is constantly changing philosophies. His first year as GM, he put a premium on the offensive line. Since then, it has been completely ignored. his fourth year, he brought in a rookie QB and then wanted to surround him with vets at the skill positions. since then they have done nothing to he him.

IMO, if we having a losing record, the GM has to go. bring in an experienced front office guy (not Polian) that can make the determination on Rex.

it is just frustrating that we are filling voids on our roster on cut down day.
    GB - didn't have a 6th..had 2 7s..Both 7s were cut--QB Coleman and OT Datko
    Bal -1 6th, 1 7th....6th Streeter went on IR
    NYG - 1 6th, 1 7th...I know they cut their 6th (McCants)

so out of 6 picks 3 were cut and 1 to IR..
    Last edited by C Mart; 09-01-2012 at 10:11 PM.

Well since the Pats win more than 12 games every season, they can do what ever the hell they want. We have a roster that is void of talent in several units. i just find it hard to believe that our scouts would be in agreement with some of these cuts.

i cant remember EVER hearing a team give up on 4 draft picks before opening day. I get that one of them is currently on the PS and there is optimism that Allen will join White tomorrow, but its alarming.

If we had a stacked roster, than i could at least rationalize the cuts, but this team, this year....this is something that a front office that is on the hot seat would be doing. Sacrificing player development for The "win now" situation. Maybe Woody has privately given Tanny and Rex the ultimatum.
    Your argument isn't making sense then. First you say it's the fact that teams don't cut draft picks (they hit on most of them being the premise) that leads them to be successful. But teams that win can do w/e they want (aka cut tons of draft picks) because they win. It can't be both ways...

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    GB - didn't have a 6th..had 2 7s
    Bal -1 6th, 1 7th
    So 3 perrenial Super Bowl contenders cut 1 draft pick combined. Thanks for the research. all I am saying is that right now, i don't think anyone could consider us in the same caliber as these three teams, yet they have all or most of their draft picks make their team.

I'm not trying to be a negative Nacy but after watching this offense be so bad this preseason, I dont have a lot of confidence in their game plan this year.

hopefully I am wrong.

So 3 perrenial Super Bowl contenders cut 1 draft pick combined. Thanks for the research. all I am saying is that right now, i don't think anyone could consider us in the same caliber as these three teams, yet they have all or most of their draft picks make their team.

I'm not trying to be a negative Nacy but after watching this offense be so bad this preseason, I dont have a lot of confidence in their game plan this year.

hopefully I am wrong.
    I researched further and updated

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    GB - didn't have a 6th..had 2 7s..Both 7s were cut--QB Coleman and OT Datko
    Bal -1 6th, 1 7th....6th Streeter went on IR

so out of 6 picks 3 were cut and 1 to IR..

I am not a PATS fan ...don't care. the PATS and JETS record speak for themselves. our Reg season record says we are average, perhaps slightly above... It's very simple.
    LMAO, way to completely duck the question.

You pretty much proved my point, you have absolutely no clue of what you're talking about, so the whole "winning teams don't release 4 draft picks" was pretty much pulled out of your ass.

Typical, taken to task on YOUR words, and you clam up.

LMAO, way to completely duck the question.

You pretty much proved my point, you have absolutely no clue of what you're talking about, so the whole "winning teams don't release 4 draft picks" was pretty much pulled out of your ass.

Typical, taken to task on YOUR words, and you clam up.
    OK.... We disagree. I believe, based on the last few years we are average. you dispute one example, fine.

the facts don't lie ...we are average slightly better.

They don't keep score in tee ball but the NFL records available to find mediocrity.

OK.... We disagree. I believe, based on the last few years we are average. you dispute one example, fine.

the facts don't lie ...we are average slightly better.

They don't keep score in tee ball but the NFL records available to find mediocrity.
    The last few years, we are average at what?

The Jets went to 2 AFCCG's and finished 8-8 last year, THOSE are the facts, what exactly are you *****ing about?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by srobjets View Post
    Or Rex and Tanny just don't know how to pick.
    Here we go again....

Well we plan on using Tim Tebow at HB, TE, FB, OLB and FG kicker this year so he made some players expendable.

In all seriousness I think this is a much ado about nothing. If a draft pick sucks and you know right away please cut him and don't waste our time. That said I'm sorta miffed by Antonio Allen since I kept hearing was kicking ass in Camp.

Quote Originally Posted by HardHittingJets View Post
    Jets had 8 draft picks. Cut 4. Jordan white makes practice squad. Looks like Antonio allen will make practice squad if he clears waivers.

So please explain to me how that is an indictment of the scouting dept. 4 of our draft picks make the roster, 2 other players the NYJ drafted were picked up to be on a final 53 roater. And the last two are on the practice squad.

That tells me the jets drafted well but there are guys on the team who are better
    STFU. The mods here like me better because even though I was banned for life, my account got unbanned. You haven't been banned though, but chances are you will be soon again.
    Last edited by Jetfan16; 09-01-2012 at 10:58 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

hopefully I am wrong.
    3 perennial SB contenders?

LOL, if most here were Giants fans they would have fired Coughlin and Reese mid season a year ago. They missed he playoffs every year since 97, were the same 8-8 as the Jets 2 years ago and were a god awful call in AZ from being 8-8 last season without a trip to the playoffs.

All League
    I was using the Giants, Ravens, and Packers as examples of teams that were elite last year. they had rosters that were good top to bottom. their deep rosters overcame injuries to go deep in the playoffs.

Now having deep rosters, they were still able to add players through the draft that were able to beat out good players and make their team.

Our roster has holes. You cannot tell me we have any good units on offense. Backfield, receivers, and O line all have holes. Yet we have 5 picks in the last two rounds and we could only draft 1 guy to hwlp our team now? Spin it any way you want, that is piss poor planning on the front office. waiting and hoping that other teams will cut players that will be able to help fill holes on our team is bullsh!t.

Rex better be right with his assessment. his defense better play lights out AND stay healthy. if not, we are going to be drafting high next year and probably starting over.