Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Sparano's the key..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Sparano's the key..

Sparano is the big question mark.
    Last edited by Slikmojet; 09-02-2012 at 04:03 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to temper my enthusiasm a bit by stating that Sparano is a big question mark in my mind. I didn't like the signing at all when we made it and eventhough I've grown to accept it, I still think the guy hasn't proven a thing in the NFL as far as running an offense.

I'm not like most here bellyaching about every single move, calling for Tannenbaum's head or making too much of the preaseason. I'm going off what I saw in Miami for three years. The fact is that once Pennington went down, the offense went down with him.

The Dolphins became an anemic offense and Sparano would clap after scoring FG's, he became a pariah in Miami. Now granted, he was the headcoach and it was Daboll and Henning before him running the offense but Sparano has to take some of the credit.

What is this guy's resume really? I know he called plays along with Payton down in Dallas but what has he done lately to inspire confidence in him?

Again, don't mean to dampen the mood around here anymore than it has the last 24 hours, but in my mind Sparano is the biggest question mark on this team, not Mark, not Tebow and certainly not the defense we already know what they can do, Sparano is the one that keeps me up at night, is he the guy who will take us to the next level? Or a "Schittier" version?[/QUOTE]

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have the same concerns as you Slikmo, except I am not 100% the D is all that dominating either. I know it was pre-season, but I am still skeptical of the entire team right now. The opener against Buff will tell a lot IMO!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Any skepticism I have begins and ends with Sanchez. too many people get caught up in blaming coaoches for everything! If the QB performs well most OCs would look great! If the QB underperforms, the OC gets the blame.

Rex brought Sparano in here for a reason. The reason is he wants to run the ball and play defense. Sparano has shown that he can run a potent run offense.

Blaming coaches is easy but the real targets should be the players who get paid to win. Hindsight is always 20/20.

In Sparano's case, he, according to the man that hired him , was perfect for what the boss wanted at OC. So why all the skepticism? We know two things at this point:
    1- Rex wants to win by running the ball rather then having his QB throw it
    2- Rex hired a man who has shown the ability to organize and use the run game and develop OL run blockers. The hire was instrumental in using the WILDCAT and the HC went out and got Tebow for our team. The Wildcat will be very much part of our offensive equation.

If the Offense sputters initially, most will jump out of their skin yelling- I Told You So rather then allowing the team to get the experience needed to function as a team. I think we are too prone to rush to judgement and sometimes seem to forget that players play and coaches coach! If the coach puts a player in position to make a play but somehow the player fails, why blame the coach? I suppose its just so easy to cover up inept play on the part of our favorite players.

Let the games begin and we shall soon see what Rex and Sparano have cooked up together! I hope we do not see a rush to judgement that we normally see around here by some posters.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BigEthel View Post
    I have the same concerns as you Slikmo, except I am not 100% the D is all that dominating either. I know it was pre-season, but I am still skeptical of the entire team right now. The opener against Buff will tell a lot IMO!
    I'm not convinced yet the D will be elite also.
    Seems they still hade trouble covering the TE pos. all pre season. Maybe Y. Bell is the answer. Agree the Buff game will tell.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with all of these posts ... I would have preferred 'crazy' Haley over Sparano 7 days a week. That being said ... The Sparano hiring does do one definite positive thing ... It illustrates a clear commitment to establishing an identity of Smash Mouth/Run First for the offense. Gone are the ambiguous days of 'He Who Shall Not Be Named'.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsonly View Post
    I'm not convinced yet the D will be elite also.
    Seems they still hade trouble covering the TE pos. all pre season. Maybe Y. Bell is the answer. Agree the Buff game will tell.
    On D ... I agree with everything thats been said , a couple observations ...

1. I CAN'T WAIT for the Landry/Gronkowski Matchup.
    2. Hernandez will burn K Wilson early and often ... If he doesn't , Welker will handle that role easily unless we glue Revis to Welker like we did last year. unbelievable, Kyle Wilson still looks lost in coverage. he has made a couple nice last minute defenses do to his athletic ability, but many time he is searching for the ball and out of position vs the receiver.
    3. OLB still seems slow to me ... I could be dead wrong here... We shall see.
    4. I do think we solved our Safety issues
    5. DL is going to be nasty!
    Last edited by Dunnie; 09-02-2012 at 08:52 AM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex has to surround himself with incompetent and/or desperate coaches because if he hires someone who knows what they are doing, that person will immediately figure out that Rex has no idea what he's doing as a head coach and they might blow the whistle on him. By hiring people who are even less competent than him, or people who know they are one strike away from being out of the league, Rex remains safe. This is why Rex will hire his fat brother, Rob, as defensive coordinator after he's run out of Dallas at the end of this season. Sparano may be competent, but he knows if he pokes his fat gum-chomping, beard-stroking, sunglass-wearing head up and rats out Rex, he'll be black-balled in the NFL and will end up coaching some lame Division II school.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wasn't thrilled with pre-season play calling, particularly the ones where our RBs ran head first into an unmoveable pile. That said, pre-season is for testing plays, not strategies, so hopefully they saw a lot of things that won't work and adjust accordingly.

I also don't understand the Jets prediliction for the 3 yard pass on 3rd and 12 that goes all the way back to Hackett. Seems our guys never break big on these plays. Again, hopefully Sparano learned that is not the way to go in the future.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Crable View Post
    Rex has to surround himself with incompetent and/or desperate coaches because if he hires someone who knows what they are doing, that person will immediately figure out that Rex has no idea what he's doing as a head coach and they might blow the whistle on him. By hiring people who are even less competent than him, or people who know they are one strike away from being out of the league, Rex remains safe. This is why Rex will hire his fat brother, Rob, as defensive coordinator after he's run out of Dallas at the end of this season. Sparano may be competent, but he knows if he pokes his fat gum-chomping, beard-stroking, sunglass-wearing head up and rats out Rex, he'll be black-balled in the NFL and will end up coaching some lame Division II school.

And people wonder why some fans are called morons on this board...

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    We will average less than 15 ppg. Our defense has to be stellar if we are to win more than 4 games.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    ... sparano would not have been who my choice was ... but ... removing a very bad OC definitely was ...

... we'll see if he s*cks also ... but sh*tty definitely s*cked ...

... i'm willing to give him a clean slate and see what happens ...

... my take ... basically rex was looking for someone to come in that will limit turnovers ... allow sanchez to try to keep drives going/work the clock ... and slowly open things up for sanchez to improve at the qb spot ... and get in peoples faces to work their *$$ses off ...

... can't wait for week 1 ...

l_j_r