Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NYT: Ryan’s Latest Reclamation Project Stands Out Right Away

Quote Originally Posted by OC_Jet View Post
    Smith is a pretty bright guy. He scored a 23 on the wonderlic. Also according to Wikipedia, "prior to his senior year, Smith graduated a year early from the school in May 2008, having graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Education degree in recreation." Considering most college football players dont even graduate, getting your degree a year early while starting is impressive. He sounds motivated and happy to be "just one of the guys". Looks like a good pick-up.
    Interesting, because among the commentary about Smith in St. Louis was that he wasn't smart enough to pick up the system there (or, he didn't spend the hours to learn the system).

I don't know one way or another.

Great deal. Tanny must have some kind of mind control to get Hunter traded. Good for both players and teams envolved.

Quote Originally Posted by GangGreenAFFLICTION View Post
    Thanks CMart. Again
    The quantity and more importantly the quality of your posts improve everyone's experience here.

Sports reporters covering our team could learn a thing or two from you.

Regarging the topic of RT , I think that things are improving and we have some degree of hope that theposition has solidified from the substraction of WFH, the promo of Howard and the move for Smith. Moore is key to the outcome.
    Thanks GGA! Just trying to make JI the most informative and accurate Jets site out there...

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by srobjets View Post
    Great deal. Tanny must have some kind of mind control to get Hunter traded. Good for both players and teams envolved.
    Schotty in STL reminds me of Mangini in CLE. In both cases we were able to clear out players of little to no value in our system and get something in return.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Only the Jets see one half of play against 2nd and 3rd teams and declare a player a 'stand out'.

He looked better than Wayne Hunter. That is a 2 inch hurdle.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Piper View Post
    Only the Jets see one half of play against 2nd and 3rd teams and declare a player a 'stand out'.

He looked better than Wayne Hunter. That is a 2 inch hurdle.
    Do you really believe that? Go read some other boards and see which teams have more whiney srobbing fans. Now pipe down. Sorry couldn't resist.

All Pro
    Yeah! well my new favorite jet is SS Mr. Landry. I gotta get my jersey soon. I must represent now. Tough guy!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    It seems like Maybin and Smith weren't well suited to deal with the pressure of being top picks.

Like they said, they want to be "one of the guys," not "the guy."
    As someone who watches Penn State religiously, I never understood the hype on Maybin out of college.

First, I think he wasn't ready mentally or physically for the NFL. He had 2 more years of eligibility and should have used at least one of them IMO.

Secondly, I think he was rated too high for the draft. I never believed he was worthy of his draft position at that point in time.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    Schotty in STL reminds me of Mangini in CLE. In both cases we were able to clear out players of little to no value in our system and get something in return.
    Did Mulligan survive cuts?

If so, can you imagine Mulligan and Hunter on the same line again? Rams fans are in for a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Did Mulligan survive cuts?

If so, can you imagine Mulligan and Hunter on the same line again? Rams fans are in for a treat.
    THAT SIR is some funny SHLT.

It's obvious based on Smith's own words that he doesn't like having lofty expectations piled on him. He wants an environment where he can do the very best with what god gave him, and hope that is good enough to stick with an NFL team. I also believe taking a paycut from the Jets down to what they guaranteed Wayne Hunter shows he's willing to embrace this new opportunity/change of scenery.

Assuming he is able to play well enough to secure the backup role targeted for him, he'll need to take another paycut. 2.45 million was negotiated for Wayne Hunter, the STARTING RT of the NYJ. Smith isn't a starter and he'll probably never be, so he should accept backup money.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    It's obvious based on Smith's own words that he doesn't like having lofty expectations piled on him. He wants an environment where he can do the very best with what god gave him, and hope that is good enough to stick with an NFL team. I also believe taking a paycut from the Jets down to what they guaranteed Wayne Hunter shows he's willing to embrace this new opportunity/change of scenery.

Assuming he is able to play well enough to secure the backup role targeted for him, he'll need to take another paycut. 2.45 million was negotiated for Wayne Hunter, the STARTING RT of the NYJ. Smith isn't a starter and he'll probably never be, so he should accept backup money.
    He still got the $$ that he was going to get this season..St Louis gave him a $1.5M bonus before the trade

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    He still got the $$ that he was going to get this season..St Louis gave him a $1.5M bonus before the trade
    That's fine. What are you complaining about? It isn't on our payroll is it?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Do you really believe that? Go read some other boards and see which teams have more whiney srobbing fans. Now pipe down. Sorry couldn't resist.
    Why would I waste time on other boards when I am talking about two teams trading garbage?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Smith was very impressive on Thursday. Not many players can step in and perform like that with one practice and one meeting with the team.

Of course, playing against 2nd stringers helped, but he went up against quality pass rushers that will be key players for the Eagles this year, or that they are high on for the future.

Smith showed a lot, his range was impressive, showed good push in the running game, defenders seemed to bounce off of him, and I loved how after every run, he was always the first OL'n to pick up the RB from the ground, throwing off defenders to do it. This has to be what Ryan saw, it was impressive.

Smith has me as excited as any other pick-up the Jets have had so far this year, that's saying something. I love his comments in this article too, maybe the pressure was too much, let him settle down, and climb his way back to the top, this kid has a chance to eventually become the starting RT, Howard has to still perform.
    You failed to mention that Howard was impressive Thursday night as well. In fact the guy has been impressive all camp long! I am happy for Smith but see no point in you limiting what Howard has done here. BOTH are Jets!

Love to have all these allies; Mangina with the Browns and now Schotty with the Rams.

I'm not..He didn't take a "paycut" as you indicated. His salary was reduced to Hunter's but he still got his money owed to him in 2012

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

He was responding to your point which was
    I also believe taking a paycut from the Jets down to what they guaranteed Wayne Hunter shows he's willing to embrace this new opportunity/change of scenery.
    He took no such paycut.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    I'm not..He didn't take a "paycut" as you indicated. His salary was reduced to Hunter's but he still got his money owed to him in 2012
    I was under the impression when the trade was originally consumated that the Jets had to take his 4 million 2012 salary. Then, I though after the trade had been completed that he agreed to a 1.55 million dollar paycut?

Good point.

I was under the impression when the trade was originally consumated that the Jets had to take his 4 million 2012 salary. Then, I though after the trade had been completed that he agreed to a 1.55 million dollar paycut?

Good point.
    No. The Rams agreed to pay 1.55 million of his salary for this year.