Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum says 'potential is there' for 'really good' team

Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum says 'potential is there' for 'really good' team

Published: Sunday, September 02, 2012, 8:52 AM Updated: Sunday, September 02, 2012, 10:30 AM

Chris Faytok/The Star-LedgerMike Tannenbaum said that he can't immediately address every need when asked why he didn't invest in a veteran right tackle.

Mike Tannenbaum took to ESPN Radio this morning just a few hours after the waiver claim period opened at noon yesterday. After cutting three of his draft picks, Tannenbaum said he would wait three years before having an honest conversation about grading his 2012 selections and that he was still confident this class could produce.
    He graded it "incomplete" as of now.

Here are a few quick hits mixing in some big-picture topics like Tim Tebow's role (it will "vary significantly") and some of the smaller stuff stemming from the last two days of roster cut downs (he thinks Edmund Gates is one of the fastest players in the NFL)...

On Rex Ryan saying this year's team has a chance to be special...

"I think the potential is defintiely there. Rex is the one in charge of the predicition dept but...we attack things relentlessly here every day and we think we have a chance to have a really good team this year."

On Tim Tebow's role in the offense...

"Tim has always been a winner going back to high school football and when he started last year for Denver. How many plays he plays? I think it could vary somewhat significantly based on the game."

On the weapons in the receiving game, and why he didn't bring back Plaxico Burress...

"I wish we had scored as well, but I have the benefit of going to practice every day and I'm really encouraged by the things we're seeing -- completion percentage is up and obviously we have to get certain guys healthy but I think they'll be ready to go vs. Buffalo. Like Stephen Hill is obviously still a work in progress but we're excited about him. If you go back to the Carolina game, he didn't have a drop in the second half, and I see him getting better every day at practice."

On some notable player keeps, cuts and acquisitions since Friday...

"Damon Harrison played really, really, well. No. 71. And he earned his spot on our active roster because that's something else from a scouting standpoint we celebrate. We put an emphasis on the undrafted free agent process."

"Edmund Gates, he was a guy who was a fourth-round pick last year, one of the fastest players in the NFL and we think he has a chance to help us as well. We think there's a number of pieces in the passing game."

On why he didn't go after a veteran right tackle...

"You can't attack every need every second that you'd like to."

--

Probably the best line of the article "You can't attack every need every second that you'd like to. With that statement, he just owned half of this board, at least all of our doom and gloom resident armchair GM's

Real interesting commentary on Harrison, and why Dixon isn't here.

Encouraging comments on Gates, I think the Gates pick up isn't getting enough attention, this was a 4th round pick, one of the fast players in the league, and he made some plays for Sparano as the year progressed.

BTW, this article was written by Connor Orr, who I think is Jenny's replacement at the Ledger, he seems to have a lot of her style, hopeful anyway.

He instantly comes in and can be our KR and PR, has some good size to him, knows Sparano's offense, I can see him being a contributor right away.

Can't teach speed, everybody complains about the WR's this year, but there is one thing for sure, the size and speed of this unit compared to recent years is NIGHT and DAY!!!

Jets have a LOT of speed at WR.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post

On the weapons in the receiving game, and why he didn't bring back Plaxico Burress...

"I wish we had scored as well, but I have the benefit of going to practice every day and I'm really encouraged by the things we're seeing -- completion percentage is up and obviously we have to get certain guys healthy but I think they'll be ready to go vs. Buffalo. Like Stephen Hill is obviously still a work in progress but we're excited about him. If you go back to the Carolina game, he didn't have a drop in the second half, and I see him getting better every day at practice."

On why he didn't go after a veteran right tackle...
    "You can't attack every need every second that you'd like to."

--

Probably the best line of the article "You can't attack every need every second that you'd like to. With that statement, he just owned half of this board, at least all of our doom and gloom resident armchair GM's

No he didn't own anybody. He had all offseason to "attack". That's just an excuse. He can't 'attack' the problem, so he gives the guy a huge guaranteed contract?

And no defensive coordinator is afraid of the offensive weapons. The best thing that can be said about the offense is Sanchez looks improved. But he has no one to throw to.

These are the two glaring problems that Tanny did not address, at all or until very late.

We went into the the 2009 season with Jericho Cotchery and Chansi Stuckey as our starting receivers....Just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    No he didn't own anybody. He had all offseason to "attack". That's just an excuse. He can't 'attack' the problem, so he gives the guy a huge guaranteed contract?
    Hunter didn't have a "hute" contract, that is way over the top and overstating the facts. Hunter was part of the plan, they thought he would be part of the solution, it was evident during camp he would not be, so they made a move for Smith.

And no defensive coordinator is afraid of the offensive weapons. The best thing that can be said about the offense is Sanchez looks improved. But he has no one to throw to.
    Straight off of the radio from the clowns who call in and the idiots that host the show, they may not be afraid right now. We do know that whatever the offense is doing in practice, it has the defense excited, and we have one of the top defenses in the league, that say's something.

These are the two glaring problems that Tanny did not address, at all or until very late.
    You cannot say Tanny did not address the WR position when the entire unit has been overhauled. You can't say they didn't address the OL either, new RT in place, a player in Smith that still has a lot of upside for future considerations, Ducasse has emerged at OG, the team is happy with the progress of Schlauderaff, what was there to address?

Quote Originally Posted by tfine350z View Post
    We went into the the 2009 season with Jericho Cotchery and Chansi Stuckey as our starting receivers....Just saying...
    Another amazing fact that goes completely unacknowledged.

Hall Of Fame
    I would kill for Jericho Cotchery right now. Not just only what he does on the field.

Of course they can't fill every need. But some of our "needs" have been issues for multiple seasons. And the OL should have been addressed before anything. That is the foundation of the team. Especially if we are going to be a "ground and pound" team. There is no way to sugar coat the Wayne Hunter debacle and our RT situation.

Veteran
    Hunter didn't have a "hute" contract, that is way over the top and overstating the facts. Hunter was part of the plan, they thought he would be part of the solution, it was evident during camp he would not be, so they made a move for Smith.

Straight off of the radio from the clowns who call in and the idiots that host the show, they may not be afraid right now. We do know that whatever the offense is doing in practice, it has the defense excited, and we have one of the top defenses in the league, that say's something.

You cannot say Tanny did not address the WR position when the entire unit has been overhauled. You can't say they didn't address the OL either, new RT in place, a player in Smith that still has a lot of upside for future considerations, Ducasse has emerged at OG, the team is happy with the progress of Schlauderaff, what was there to address?
    BINGO!! Unless you have a "name" that they heard of, you must suck. What were they saying about Victor Cruz last year? NOTHING.

Yet, those of us who watched him said he could become a very nice player for the Giants (and he exceeded those expectations).

We have a nice mix of young, talented, receivers. Certainly the fastest group we have had in years. We even have nice size in Turner, Hill and Schilens (when he eventually gets on the field, which should be soon, no matter how much the negative naysayers want to ignore this).

Holmes and Kerley both know how to get open. Now add the WR/KR burner Clyde Gates and one thing is for certain; our receiving corp HAS TALENT. What they don't have a lot of as a group is EXPERIENCE.

I think this team is going to have a very effective offense and I know that is blasphemy around here but can't wait for the real games to begin so we can what our team REALLY looks like. I have a feeling they are going to shut up a lot of people... The real key as we all know is the offensive line and AGAIN, for those who really being paying attention, has gotten MUCH better with Austin Howard and Jason Smith.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I would kill for Jericho Cotchery right now. Not just only what he does on the field.
    That really is the only move I just don't understand. Cotch was a good soldier, great team mate, solid WR.

Love that guy

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Huge, HUGE. Define huge, huge as in so huge he was easily traded away? Given the crazy idea that he gave a total POS, worst OL in the NFL, a HUGE contract, why aren't the brain dead giving him big time credit for trading Hunter for anything?

He was 100% right, you can't fix every position that Yankee fan mentality fans want fixed. Theres a cap, one that didn't go up this offseason. Their hands were somewhat tied.

Fans are too stupid to get that and what is on the roster, they want their instant gratification and want it now.

If not will whine, stamp their feet and look for someone to blame and whos head they want on a platter.
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 09-02-2012 at 01:49 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    That really is the only move I just don't understand. Cotch was a good soldier, great team mate, solid WR.

Love that guy
    Ugh, because that good soldier, great team mate and solid WR asked to be traded, wanted off the team?

I don't think I have ever seen or read an article where I thought Tannenbaum said anything useful.

Tanny will live and die with his decision not to sign
    Edwards, because as dumb as we are on this board,
    many of us liked the Rice / Montana chemistry
    the two had developed over time, (Sanchez)we also paid
    a price for Edwards, (2nd round plus players)
    and got little in return.

Edwards was important because he could have
    given us instant credibility, Holmes /Edwards
    and butterfingers would have been
    a decent trio, and at that point the fragile
    one and white could have made this
    a damn good crew.

Tanny will be screwed if our receivers
    fail, and his career and reputation will
    forever be connected to Edwards,
    because he had the opportunity
    to get him cheap, and was advised by
    many to do so.

He may go down because of Edwards,
    he may not, as Jet fan, I'm rooting
    for the latter.

Make no mistake Edwards and Tanny
    are married for eternity, the Jets may
    end up paying a lesser receiver a ton
    of money next off season, and the guy
    probably won't know how to block,
    something both Cotch and Edwards
    did like TE's.
    Last edited by Diego Jet Fan; 09-02-2012 at 01:55 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Black View Post
    BINGO!! Unless you have a "name" that they heard of, you must suck. What were they saying about Victor Cruz last year? NOTHING.

Yet, those of us who watched him said he could become a very nice player for the Giants (and he exceeded those expectations).

We have a nice mix of young, talented, receivers. Certainly the fastest group we have had in years. We even have nice size in Turner, Hill and Schilens (when he eventually gets on the field, which should be soon, no matter how much the negative naysayers want to ignore this).

Holmes and Kerley both know how to get open. Now add the WR/KR burner Clyde Gates and one thing is for certain; our receiving corp HAS TALENT. What they don't have a lot of as a group is EXPERIENCE.

I think this team is going to have a very effective offense and I know that is blasphemy around here but can't wait for the real games to begin so we can what our team REALLY looks like. I have a feeling they are going to shut up a lot of people... The real key as we all know is the offensive line and AGAIN, for those who really being paying attention, has gotten MUCH better with Austin Howard and Jason Smith.

I agree, Victor Cruz was an overlooked diamond in the rough, ever since we saw him burn the Jets in that pre-season game, then he sat on the Giants bench all year. I was one of his biggest admirers and wondered why he didn't get any playing time, it took an injury from another player (NIcks or Manningham?) There is no one like that on the current Jets roster, name or no name. Unfortunately.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Jet Fan View Post
    Edwards,
    Total nonsense.

He decided not to pay Edwards the money he wanted, top WR money

Somehow, that Edwards couldn't get more than the league minimum makes Tanny wrong.

Somehow that he had 180 yards, no production and a seat on the bench on a team desperate for offense makes Tanny wrong.

That he was released makes Tanny wrong.

Players come and go, its the NFL, look around

A head ache non productive WR does nothing to a GM

That he was lucky to find a team desperate to sign him, one team, makes Tanny wrong.

Jets Insider VIP

Oh sorry, I guess I should have been more specific - overhauled with playmakers, not JAGS.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by tfine350z View Post
    Who was the GM then? And then what happened? Sounds almost like they're back to that.
    Last edited by Vinny Testaverde's Niece; 09-02-2012 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Jet Fan View Post
    Edwards, because as dumb as we are on this board,
    many of us liked the Rice / Montana chemistry
    the two had developed over time, (Sanchez)we also paid
    a price for Edwards, (2nd round plus players)
    and got little in return.

Edwards was important because he could have
    given us instant credibility, Holmes /Edwards
    and butterfingers would have been
    a decent trio, and at that point the fragile
    one and white could have made this
    a damn good crew.

Tanny will be screwed if our receivers
    fail, and his career and reputation will
    forever be connected to Edwards,
    because he had the opportunity
    to get him cheap, and was advised by
    many to do so.

He may go down because of Edwards,
    he may not, as Jet fan, I'm rooting
    for the latter.

Make no mistake Edwards and Tanny
    are married for eternity, the Jets may
    end up paying a lesser receiver a ton
    of money next off season, and the guy
    probably won't know how to block,
    something both Cotch and Edwards
    did like TE's.
    Had no idea William Carlos Williams was still alive and writing Jets-related poetry.

I agree, Victor Cruz was an overlooked diamond in the rough, ever since we saw him burn the Jets in that pre-season game, then he sat on the Giants bench all year. I was one of his biggest admirers and wondered why he didn't get any playing time, it took an injury from another player (NIcks or Manningham?) There is no one like that on the current Jets roster, name or no name. Unfortunately.
    Jets never should have let Victor Cruz go. Greg Buttle was dead on.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    Jets never should have let Victor Cruz go. Greg Buttle was dead on.
    Insight like that can, you can only get that on preseason local broadcasts.