Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum says 'potential is there' for 'really good' team

All League
    "The potential is there" for me to motorboat Kate Upton.

This is fun.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Total nonsense.

He decided not to pay Edwards the money he wanted, top WR money

Somehow, that Edwards couldn't get more than the league minimum makes Tanny wrong.

Somehow that he had 180 yards, no production and a seat on the bench on a team desperate for offense makes Tanny wrong.

That he was released makes Tanny wrong.

Players come and go, its the NFL, look around

A head ache non productive WR does nothing to a GM

That he was lucky to find a team desperate to sign him, one team, makes Tanny wrong.
    Tanny was absolutely right on this one. Edwards wanted Fukk you money and would take no less. Then he walked. So be it. Tanny overpiad for Holmes but on Edwards, with what was available at the time, he was right.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum says 'potential is there' for 'really good' team

On why he didn't go after a veteran right tackle...

"You can't attack every need every second that you'd like to."

--

Probably the best line of the article "You can't attack every need every second that you'd like to. With that statement, he just owned half of this board, at least all of our doom and gloom resident armchair GM's

Real interesting commentary on Harrison, and why Dixon isn't here.

Encouraging comments on Gates, I think the Gates pick up isn't getting enough attention, this was a 4th round pick, one of the fast players in the league, and he made some plays for Sparano as the year progressed.

BTW, this article was written by Connor Orr, who I think is Jenny's replacement at the Ledger, he seems to have a lot of her style, hopeful anyway.

He instantly comes in and can be our KR and PR, has some good size to him, knows Sparano's offense, I can see him being a contributor right away.

Can't teach speed, everybody complains about the WR's this year, but there is one thing for sure, the size and speed of this unit compared to recent years is NIGHT and DAY!!!

Jets have a LOT of speed at WR.

Probably every GM's favorite Rolling Stones song is...

"YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT"

I'm just speculating here about the surprising Dixon cut and the Harrison addition...

Maybe Pouha isn't 100% healthy. Back problems perhaps will be a health issue with Pouha this year. Or...his age...and the wear and tear, (he's 34 y.o.) from playing NT, which is a very demanding position. Physically...it may be catching up to Pouha. In addition...the Jets added another NT, Isaako Aaitui. That's a lot at NT, for a team that may be playing more 4-3 D, then the base 3-4. Because DeVito has always been able to effectively play the NT position too. Just saying...

Also...the Jets obvioisly think Harrison can play right now in the rotation, as a DT/NT. And could possibly replace Pouha next year, behind Kenrick at NT. And they may see Harrison as having more potential then Dixon, as a penetrating disruptive force on the DL.

Gates could be used for KR, especially if McKnight still has the hamstring problems. And since he knows Sparano's offense, Gates can be good depth for the slot(he's 5-11; 190.) With that blazing speed, Gates could be a nightmare in the slot for nickle-dime corners, and safeties to cover.

This gives the Jets good depth at speed WR. With Hill-Schilens-Gates, Jets now have three blazing fast receivers that can run go routes, and other deep patterns. If the Jets want to keep the defense from stacking the box, you need the deep threat receiver opposite Holmes at all times.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenReaper View Post
    Probably every GM's favorite Rolling Stones song is...

"YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT"

I'm just speculating here about the surprising Dixon cut and the Harrison addition...

Maybe Pouha isn't 100% healthy. Back problems perhaps will be a health issue with Pouha this year. Or...his age...and the wear and tear, (he's 34 y.o.) from playing NT, which is a very demanding position. Physically...it may be catching up to Pouha. In addition...the Jets added another NT, Isaako Aaitui. That's a lot at NT, for a team that may be playing more 4-3 D, then the base 3-4. Because DeVito has always been able to effectively play the NT position too. Just saying...

Also...the Jets obvioisly think Harrison can play right now in the rotation, as a DT/NT. And could possibly replace Pouha next year, behind Kenrick at NT. And they may see Harrison as having more potential then Dixon, as a penetrating disruptive force on the DL.

Gates could be used for KR, especially if McKnight still has the hamstring problems. And since he knows Sparano's offense, Gates can be good depth for the slot(he's 5-11; 190.) With that blazing speed, Gates could be a nightmare in the slot for nickle-dime corners, and safeties to cover.

This gives the Jets good depth at speed WR. With Hill-Schilens-Gates, Jets now have three blazing fast receivers that can run go routes, and other deep patterns. If the Jets want to keep the defense from stacking the box, you need the deep threat receiver opposite Holmes at all times.
    GREAT POST!! Especially the last part. This offense is going to surprise a lot of people and also SHUT UP a lot of the naysayers..... McKnight and Gates returning kicks... pick your poison!

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    Had no idea William Carlos Williams was still alive and writing Jets-related poetry.
    This Is Just To Say

by William Carlos Williams
    I have eaten
    the plums
    that were in
    the icebox
    and which
    you were probably
    saving
    for breakfast
    Forgive me
    they were delicious
    so sweet
    and so cold

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4576664Jets have a LOT of speed at WR.[/QUOTE]

And no hands.

Last season the naysayers on JI blasted Tanny and Jets mgmt for not giving the young players an opportunity and, instead, relying on players past their prime. This season the Jets approach is to go with the young kids and see what they can contribute. The naysayers now are screaming experience. Can't have it both ways. I wanted the Jets to bring back BE badly. It didn't happen. However, just because we have not seen what these young wrs can do on Sundays does not mean it will fail.

I am watching the NFL Network's game NE vs. NYG right now from the other evening. Cruz was interviewed saying how this time last year he was just fighting for a spot on special teams hoping not to get cut by the Giants. We all know how that story ended.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    You can't say they didn't address the OL either, new RT in place, a player in Smith that still has a lot of upside for future considerations, Ducasse has emerged at OG, the team is happy with the progress of Schlauderaff, what was there to address?
    Until we see Howard playing some real snaps (not pre-season) we don't know if he's any better than Hunter or not. The fact that he got the starting spot only after Hunter stunk the place up doesn't mean he's a good player, just that he was next in line.

I hope he plays well for us, but until then I don't see the situation at RT as "addressed".

Are people forgetting about Dustin Keller and Jeff Cumberland as receiving threats???? Again people are focusing on the WR's too much forgetting about the TE position....also Mcknight receiving out of the backfield?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    I agree, Victor Cruz was an overlooked diamond in the rough, ever since we saw him burn the Jets in that pre-season game, then he sat on the Giants bench all year. I was one of his biggest admirers and wondered why he didn't get any playing time, it took an injury from another player (NIcks or Manningham?) There is no one like that on the current Jets roster, name or no name. Unfortunately.
    But that is the point Vinny; he got his opportunity. We have several young, hungry and talented receivers who will get theirs because we didn't sign any big name receivers this off season. Now odds are your correct but no one knows at this point how good any off them will be this season until they get on the field. I am personally very intrigued by the addition of Gates especially with Sparanos knowledge of him, Gates having played for him.

As much as everyone wants to give Turner grief, he could be our version of Ramses Barden, who looks to have finally figured it out for the GMan.

I think he will continue to develop, especially in the red zone. Also, Sanchez has a comfort level with him.

Kerley was almost automatic out of the slot as a ROOKIE last year. Hopefully he will continue to improve in this system.

Hill learned a lot in the preseason and has a ways to go but even in the Carolina game, he still had 6 catches and was open on all of them. Once he gets more comfortable he is going to be a nightmare for opposing secondaries even if his name is not well known .... yet

Holmes is still young and has something to prove. He is also as clutch as they come. He is healthy now and has been a doing a good job working with the younger receivers.

Shilens is something of a wildcard because of his injuries so we really don't know what to expect from him yet (accept perhaps getting hurt again...lol) but seriously, he brings a very dynamic skill set as well.

When you add up all of these players and consider our TEs Keller and Cumberland, I think our passing game is going to better than everyone expects and will improve over the course of the season. They might not win many shoot outs but with our defense, they shouldn't have to.

Still with the speed we have at receiver, anyone who says we have no weapons at receiver(talking heads, clueless Jet fans) is in for a RUDE awakening.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    This Is Just To Say

by William Carlos Williams
    I have eaten
    the plums
    that were in
    the icebox
    and which
    you were probably
    saving
    for breakfast
    Forgive me
    they were delicious
    so sweet
    and so cold
    Gather ye rosebuds while ye may...

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Black View Post
    But that is the point Vinny; he got his opportunity. We have several young, hungry and talented receivers who will get theirs because we didn't sign any big name receivers this off season. Now odds are your correct but no one knows at this point how good any off them will be this season until they get on the field. I am personally very intrigued by the addition of Gates especially with Sparanos knowledge of him, Gates having played for him.

As much as everyone wants to give Turner grief, he could be our version of Ramses Barden, who looks to have finally figured it out for the GMan.

I think he will continue to develop, especially in the red zone. Also, Sanchez has a comfort level with him.

Kerley was almost automatic out of the slot as a ROOKIE last year. Hopefully he will continue to improve in this system.

Hill learned a lot in the preseason and has a ways to go but even in the Carolina game, he still had 6 catches and was open on all of them. Once he gets more comfortable he is going to be a nightmare for opposing secondaries even if his name is not well known .... yet

Holmes is still young and has something to prove. He is also as clutch as they come. He is healthy now and has been a doing a good job working with the younger receivers.

Shilens is something of a wildcard because of his injuries so we really don't know what to expect from him yet (accept perhaps getting hurt again...lol) but seriously, he brings a very dynamic skill set as well.

When you add up all of these players and consider our TEs Keller and Cumberland, I think our passing game is going to better than everyone expects and will improve over the course of the season. They might not win many shoot outs but with our defense, they shouldn't have to.

Still with the speed we have at receiver, anyone who says we have no weapons at receiver(talking heads, clueless Jet fans) is in for a RUDE awakening.
    Thank you for a logical, well - reasoned, non-argumentative reply. I still think though that a fan has to put a great deal of unfounded faith in the team right now.

the Jets had cruz on their radar, and even worked him out,
    so maybe Buttle isn't so dumb, he is one of the greatest Jets
    of all time, a LEGEND

Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    Had no idea William Carlos Williams was still alive and writing Jets-related poetry.
    you know your poets, had to look up WCW,
    nice compliment, I thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by jetssjumets View Post
    Last season the naysayers on JI blasted Tanny and Jets mgmt for not giving the young players an opportunity and, instead, relying on players past their prime. This season the Jets approach is to go with the young kids and see what they can contribute. The naysayers now are screaming experience. Can't have it both ways. I wanted the Jets to bring back BE badly. It didn't happen. However, just because we have not seen what these young wrs can do on Sundays does not mean it will fail.

I am watching the NFL Network's game NE vs. NYG right now from the other evening. Cruz was interviewed saying how this time last year he was just fighting for a spot on special teams hoping not to get cut by the Giants. We all know how that story ended.
    What in the world are you talking about???? Last year, the Jets went with a 34 year old guy coming out of the slammer as a starting WR and a 37 year old guy on his last legs. This year, they're starting a raw rookie WR. That's one extreme to the other. That's a legitimate gripe. You CAN have it both ways. How about, um, a 28 year old receiver with five or six seasons under his belt (Edwards)?

Ultimately, both of these decisions will prove to be boneheaded mistakes. Schilens has the goods to start, but can he stay healthy? If not, relying on Hill is a BIG mistake.
    Last edited by detectivekimble; 09-02-2012 at 06:13 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    What???? Last year, the Jets went with a 34 year old guy coming out of the slammer as a starting WR and a 37 year old guy on his last legs. This year, they're starting a raw rookie WR. That's one extreme to the other. That's a legitimate gripe.

Both decisions will prove to be boneheaded mistakes.

Bone headed is a bit strong.... I simly believe our moves are reactionary and we lack a solid long term plan. We are a good team not a great team. NO ONE is overly concerned when they play the JETS.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    That really is the only move I just don't understand. Cotch was a good soldier, great team mate, solid WR.

Love that guy
    But he wanted to leave. the Jets did him the favor!

Quote Originally Posted by PatriotReign View Post
    "The potential is there" for me to motorboat Kate Upton.

This is fun.
    LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Bone headed is a bit strong.... I simly believe our moves are reactionary and we lack a solid long term plan. We are a good team not a great team. NO ONE is overly concerned when they play the JETS.
    Boneheaded is right. Stephen Hill is about as raw a WR as you will find. You need starting WR help and you throw the kid into the fire? That's fine if we're rebuilding. It's not if we're expecting to score points.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    Boneheaded is right. Stephen Hill is about as raw a WR as you will find. You need starting WR help and you throw the kid into the fire? That's fine if we're rebuilding. It's not if we're expecting to score points.
    We will see.....but I respect your opinion.