Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum says 'potential is there' for 'really good' team

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by tfine350z View Post
    Are people forgetting about Dustin Keller and Jeff Cumberland as receiving threats???? Again people are focusing on the WR's too much forgetting about the TE position....also Mcknight receiving out of the backfield?
    Yes, because Keller is inconsistent and Cumberland is unproven.

Quote Originally Posted by Piper View Post
    Yes, because Keller is inconsistent and Cumberland is unproven.
    If Cumberland is healthy, he's legit. He's a GREAT athlete. I'm not so sure he's regained his athleticism after last year's injury, though.

Tann is a paint by numbers guy

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum says 'potential is there' for 'really good' team

Published: Sunday, September 02, 2012, 8:52 AM Updated: Sunday, September 02, 2012, 10:30 AM

Chris Faytok/The Star-LedgerMike Tannenbaum said that he can't immediately address every need when asked why he didn't invest in a veteran right tackle.

Mike Tannenbaum took to ESPN Radio this morning just a few hours after the waiver claim period opened at noon yesterday. After cutting three of his draft picks, Tannenbaum said he would wait three years before having an honest conversation about grading his 2012 selections and that he was still confident this class could produce.
    He graded it "incomplete" as of now.

Here are a few quick hits mixing in some big-picture topics like Tim Tebow's role (it will "vary significantly") and some of the smaller stuff stemming from the last two days of roster cut downs (he thinks Edmund Gates is one of the fastest players in the NFL)...

On Rex Ryan saying this year's team has a chance to be special...

"I think the potential is defintiely there. Rex is the one in charge of the predicition dept but...we attack things relentlessly here every day and we think we have a chance to have a really good team this year."

On Tim Tebow's role in the offense...

"Tim has always been a winner going back to high school football and when he started last year for Denver. How many plays he plays? I think it could vary somewhat significantly based on the game."

On the weapons in the receiving game, and why he didn't bring back Plaxico Burress...

"I wish we had scored as well, but I have the benefit of going to practice every day and I'm really encouraged by the things we're seeing -- completion percentage is up and obviously we have to get certain guys healthy but I think they'll be ready to go vs. Buffalo. Like Stephen Hill is obviously still a work in progress but we're excited about him. If you go back to the Carolina game, he didn't have a drop in the second half, and I see him getting better every day at practice."

On some notable player keeps, cuts and acquisitions since Friday...

"Damon Harrison played really, really, well. No. 71. And he earned his spot on our active roster because that's something else from a scouting standpoint we celebrate. We put an emphasis on the undrafted free agent process."

"Edmund Gates, he was a guy who was a fourth-round pick last year, one of the fastest players in the NFL and we think he has a chance to help us as well. We think there's a number of pieces in the passing game."

On why he didn't go after a veteran right tackle...

"You can't attack every need every second that you'd like to."

--

Probably the best line of the article "You can't attack every need every second that you'd like to. With that statement, he just owned half of this board, at least all of our doom and gloom resident armchair GM's

Real interesting commentary on Harrison, and why Dixon isn't here.

Encouraging comments on Gates, I think the Gates pick up isn't getting enough attention, this was a 4th round pick, one of the fast players in the league, and he made some plays for Sparano as the year progressed.

BTW, this article was written by Connor Orr, who I think is Jenny's replacement at the Ledger, he seems to have a lot of her style, hopeful anyway.

He instantly comes in and can be our KR and PR, has some good size to him, knows Sparano's offense, I can see him being a contributor right away.

Can't teach speed, everybody complains about the WR's this year, but there is one thing for sure, the size and speed of this unit compared to recent years is NIGHT and DAY!!!

Jets have a LOT of speed at WR.
    Ask him why he ended our season before it started by going into the season with arguably the worst wide receiver corps in the entire league. Then ask him how he expects Sanchez to progress this season with virtually no weapons at all on offense.

Quote Originally Posted by jetglass View Post
    Ask him why he ended our season before it started by going into the season with arguably the worst wide receiver corps in the entire league. Then ask him how he expects Sanchez to progress this season with virtually no weapons at all on offense.
    No weapons, right...

As for last year, the cap and the fact that the team had several key FA's to deal with and that there was a lockout made it very difficult to bring the entire unit back. Edwards, Smith, and eventually Cotchery were gone, that is a strong list of players. Burress disappointed, Kerley was a rookie, that was the biggest difference.

I think there is some good potential with this year's group, they're young, big, fast, physical, but also raw. But, there is tremendous upside with the talent and speed they have this year.

[QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4576664]

--

Probably the best line of the article "You can't attack every need every second that you'd like to. With that statement, he just owned half of this board, at least all of our doom and gloom resident armchair GM's

[QUOTE]

He had the entire offseason to address the RT situation. He had that option but he chose not to. That's his fault and he didn't own anyone. He was clearly making excuses for his own f*ck ups.

I support Mike Tanenbaum as our GM, but it's clear that Tanny doesn't read his own history books. He seems to have amnesia about his original f*ck up when he traded Pete Kendall to the Redskins just to spite his own face. Adrien Clarke was the worst kind of disaster and probably the largest reason we went 4-12 that season.

In other words, this isn't the first time he's pulled some stupid sh*t with the OL, he's actually done it twice now.

In the end, I think this arrogance or ignorance (really not sure what it is, but either way it isn't a good trait) will cost us huge this season. I look at the defense and see a championship team. I look at the OL as the reason there is no way we could possibly go deep into the playoffs.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    I agree, Victor Cruz was an overlooked diamond in the rough, ever since we saw him burn the Jets in that pre-season game, then he sat on the Giants bench all year. I was one of his biggest admirers and wondered why he didn't get any playing time, it took an injury from another player (NIcks or Manningham?) There is no one like that on the current Jets roster, name or no name. Unfortunately.
    You don't know that.

No weapons, right...

As for last year, the cap and the fact that the team had several key FA's to deal with and that there was a lockout made it very difficult to bring the entire unit back. Edwards, Smith, and eventually Cotchery were gone, that is a strong list of players. Burress disappointed, Kerley was a rookie, that was the biggest difference.

I think there is some good potential with this year's group, they're young, big, fast, physical, but also raw. But, there is tremendous upside with the talent and speed they have this year.
    Despite being disappointing, defenses still had to defend Burress because of both his size and red zone prowess. Lets face it, Schilens is not an NFL receiver. Never has been and never stays healthy. Kerley may become a decent player, but I think hes the best example of blind homerism on this board. The guy puts up 32 catches last season and you would think from comments on here he was Jerry Rice Part II. Hill may be good one day, but everyone knows hes raw so we cant expect him to be a major contributor from day one.

Holmes is a good receiver, but not a prototypical #1 (which many teams dont have) but because of our lack of a remotely legitimate #2 he can expect to be at least double teamed the majority of plays.

Of course there is upside, but every team in the NFL has that. We shouldnt be comparing to last year since our passing game sucked last year, so if anything it should have been more than a signal we need to upgrade.

How may receiving cores in the league can you honestly say is worse than the Jets core?

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    I agree, Victor Cruz was an overlooked diamond in the rough, ever since we saw him burn the Jets in that pre-season game, then he sat on the Giants bench all year. I was one of his biggest admirers and wondered why he didn't get any playing time, it took an injury from another player (NIcks or Manningham?) There is no one like that on the current Jets roster, name or no name. Unfortunately.
    He was on IR that year.

Quote Originally Posted by PatriotReign View Post
    "The potential is there" for me to motorboat Kate Upton.

This is fun.
    Let me try...

"The potential is there" for me to win $10 million in Vegas

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriotReign View Post
    "The potential is there" for me to motorboat Kate Upton.

This is fun.
    Everyone has a shot. Some more than others.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post

He had the entire offseason to address the RT situation. He had that option but he chose not to. That's his fault and he didn't own anyone. He was clearly making excuses for his own f*ck ups.

I support Mike Tanenbaum as our GM, but it's clear that Tanny doesn't read his own history books. He seems to have amnesia about his original f*ck up when he traded Pete Kendall to the Redskins just to spite his own face. Adrien Clarke was the worst kind of disaster and probably the largest reason we went 4-12 that season.

In other words, this isn't the first time he's pulled some stupid sh*t with the OL, he's actually done it twice now.

In the end, I think this arrogance or ignorance (really not sure what it is, but either way it isn't a good trait) will cost us huge this season. I look at the defense and see a championship team. I look at the OL as the reason there is no way we could possibly go deep into the playoffs.
    What is it going to take for some of you fans to get it?

Stop saying Tannenbaum had entire off-season to address RT. NO ****, but that isn't the strategy that the front office laid out for the off-season, they believed in Hunter, they thought he could rebound to the form he displayed in 2010, he played well, it wasn't until camp and then the pre-season that it became obvious Hunter wasn't going to recover, and he played even worse with even less confidence, he was worse in camp than he was last year even.

What the **** is it going to take for some of you to get this?

As for re-writing history, it seems YOU are the one doing that, Tanny wasn't the GM for the Kendall trade, and especially for the Adrian Clarke experiment, as usual, fans just love to fire off **** they don't know what the **** they are talking about because it sounds good and it satifies their rant.

Frankly, I wanted to see the Jason Smith move before the pre-season even started, we should all be downright flaberghasted that he was able to trade ONLY Hunter for a player of Smith's talent, REGARDLESS of the disappointment Smith may have been in St Louis.

Hall Of Fame
    They were wrong. RT should have been #1. First guessed by many here. As was the WR situation.

You are right. They made their bed just how they wanted to. But the bed sucks. They had the wrong strategy. Hopefully Howard bails them out.

Jets Insider VIP
    What is it going to take for some of you fans to get it?

Stop saying Tannenbaum had entire off-season to address RT. NO ****, but that isn't the strategy that the front office laid out for the off-season, they believed in Hunter, they thought he could rebound to the form he displayed in 2010, he played well, it wasn't until camp and then the pre-season that it became obvious Hunter wasn't going to recover, and he played even worse with even less confidence, he was worse in camp than he was last year even.

What the **** is it going to take for some of you to get this?

As for re-writing history, it seems YOU are the one doing that, Tanny wasn't the GM for the Kendall trade, and especially for the Adrian Clarke experiment, as usual, fans just love to fire off **** they don't know what the **** they are talking about because it sounds good and it satifies their rant.

Frankly, I wanted to see the Jason Smith move before the pre-season even started, we should all be downright flaberghasted that he was able to trade ONLY Hunter for a player of Smith's talent, REGARDLESS of the disappointment Smith may have been in St Louis.
    In otherwords, the proper criticism in your view would be arguing that Tanny had the WRONG plan rather than no plan at all. Tanny shouldn't have thought Hunter would rebound because all his first year metrics as a starter were awful (top 5 worst in sacks at his position, top 5 worst in QB pressures allowed, top 5 worst in QB hits allowed, and top 5 worst in penalties).

And, actually, Ray, Tanny WAS the GM for the Kendall trade and Clarke debacle. That was 2007, the second year of Tanny's reign as GM.

Lastly, Tanny's "You can't attack every need every second that you'd like to." is not some surpreme refutation of the detractors because even Matt Millen could use that excuse.
    Last edited by SMC; 09-03-2012 at 10:37 PM.

All League
    [QUOTE=Mainejet;4577463][QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4576664]

--

What I think most of the homers here are missing is not just one error on the RT. If you watched any games from last year, you had to realize the way that Hunter was being played was a detriment to Sanchez and the entire O.

So what did not happen was:

A. No tackles drafted despite having more picks in this draft than any other in at least the last 5 years.

B. No veteran brought in to challenge Hunter.

C. And this one takes the cake, guaranteeing his contract. how the hell did this happen. During Hard Knocks, Tanny came across as a cold hearted GM doing hat ever it took to field the best team. The transactions made this offseason were made by a different Tanny.

My favorite argument this offseason is simple. I complained that no team that knows what the hell its doing cuts half its draft BEFORE their first game. I was rebuffed that 6th and 7th rounders are crap. But then when I argue that the front office has done nothing to help the offense, THE SAME homers retort that the Jets have spent all these 6th and 7th round picks.

Freaking hilarious. At least we ate guaranteed entertainment this year. Either the Jets will shock everyone and win games, or we can read these homers trying to rationalize why we are losing and not scoring at all.

Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    In otherwords, the proper criticism in your view would be arguing that Tanny had the WRONG plan rather than no plan at all. Tanny shouldn't have thought Hunter would rebound because all his first year metrics as a starter were awful (top 5 worst in sacks at his position, top 5 worst in QB pressures allowed, top 5 worst in QB hits allowed, and top 5 worst in penalties).

And, actually, Ray, Tanny WAS the GM for the Kendall trade and Clarke debacle. That was 2007, the second year of Tanny's reign as GM.

Lastly, Tanny's "You can't attack every need every second that you'd like to." is not some surpreme refutation of the detractors because even Matt Millen could use that excuse.
    First it was Adrian Jones, ot Clarke, and Jones last year with the Jets was in 2005. Kendall was traded in Tannenbaum's first year because both he and Mangini felt that Kendall would be a problem in the locker room, as a veteran player, policing and potentially undermining the direction that Mangini and Tannenbaum wanted to take it, to this day, I don't disagree with the move, it made sense.

And yeah, if the goal here is that you absolutely MUST criticize, the plan to go with Hunter backfired, my argument is the problem was never that the team never "addressed it."

Another problem I have with most fans on the topic is that most of them wanted the Jets to take a RT high in the draft or spend big FA $ to bring a player in when we have a lot of $ already invested on the OL.

Those fans seem to forget their is a salary cap and the team has to manage the roster within that cap.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    They were wrong. RT should have been #1. First guessed by many here. As was the WR situation.

You are right. They made their bed just how they wanted to. But the bed sucks. They had the wrong strategy. Hopefully Howard bails them out.
    No, RT shouldn't have been #1, it never should have been, the complete implosion and regression of Hunter doesn't change the fact RT should not have been #1. Just said it in my last post, you don't over invest on one area of the team. Should they have considered an alternative to Hunter? Well, DUH, I especially love the fans that thump their chests proudly with the tool of hindsight...

Jets Insider VIP
    First it was Adrian Jones, ot Clarke, and Jones last year with the Jets was in 2005. Kendall was traded in Tannenbaum's first year because both he and Mangini felt that Kendall would be a problem in the locker room, as a veteran player, policing and potentially undermining the direction that Mangini and Tannenbaum wanted to take it, to this day, I don't disagree with the move, it made sense.

And yeah, if the goal here is that you absolutely MUST criticize, the plan to go with Hunter backfired, my argument is the problem was never that the team never "addressed it."

Another problem I have with most fans on the topic is that most of them wanted the Jets to take a RT high in the draft or spend big FA $ to bring a player in when we have a lot of $ already invested on the OL.

Those fans seem to forget their is a salary cap and the team has to manage the roster within that cap.
    Actually, Kendall was traded in Tanny & Mangini's SECOND YEAR, 2007, not first. Kendall was on the 2006 squad that went to the playoffs. It was in training camp 2007 when Tanny traded Kendall in the contract dispute. I was referring to Clarke, Kendall's replacement. An earily similar mistake to Tanny beling Baxter would be a good backup to Mangold last year after Turner was put on IR. Adrian Jones at RT was in 2005 after Bradway let McKenzie walk.

But, yeah, I agree that the criticism is in the planning, not the failure to plan. Tanny thought, incorrectly, that Hunter could get the job done. That belief prevented him from finding suitable upgrades in the offseason. He didn't ignore the issue, he simply wrongly believed the issue was resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Huge, HUGE. Define huge, huge as in so huge he was easily traded away? Given the crazy idea that he gave a total POS, worst OL in the NFL, a HUGE contract, why aren't the brain dead giving him big time credit for trading Hunter for anything?

He was 100% right, you can't fix every position that Yankee fan mentality fans want fixed. Theres a cap, one that didn't go up this offseason. Their hands were somewhat tied.

Fans are too stupid to get that and what is on the roster, they want their instant gratification and want it now.

If not will whine, stamp their feet and look for someone to blame and whos head they want on a platter.
    Agreed, the selective attention and unreasonable nature of some SOJF's "fans" is embarrassing

Adrian Jones' last year with the Jets was 2007. Pete Kendall was was traded in Tannenbaum's second season.

Facts still aren't your strongpoint, I see.