Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So Why Did the Dolphins Cut this Guy??

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Black View Post
    No, reading posts like this make wonder why you are even a fan. No one knows what this kid will do but if you can't intrigued by his skill set...... fill in the blanks, not trying to offend you.

Two years ago Victor Cruz was a nobody and was worried about making the PS. Today he is a household name. I bet if someone told you Victor Cruz would become a good receiver, much less great one, I can pretty much imagine what you have said.

Gates is a very athletic receiver who has ELITE speed; and was a 4th round pick from a small div. II school. Last year as a rookie, he played in 15 games primarily as a KR. Now he is a Jet and reunited with the Coach who drafted him and an offense he is more comfortable in. Take a moment and google every scouting report on this kid and see if you can't get even a little excited about him.
    Great response to a usual Doom and gloomer! They get boring but we are used to it by now. I still wish the Gloomers would all go away and start a board of their own. SAR will be the ringleader and away they go! I wish!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Great response to a usual Doom and gloomer! They get boring but we are used to it by now. I still wish the Gloomers would all go away and start a board of their own. SAR will be the ringleader and away they go! I wish!
    LOL, Thanks KJ. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I know, at least HOPE, that deep down they want the team to succeed. Hopefully the team will give them a reason to get more excited and positive once the game begin.

if he has hands like the report says,
    and he's tough, with top speed, then
    with the Jets lack of speed and depth
    at the position, he will contribute,
    dual burners on the outside will help
    all the other receivers.

Jets Insider VIP
    Does he return punts? We could use some help there.

Quote Originally Posted by heymangold View Post
    i remember being a fan of Gates when he was in the draft last season. i'm excited to see if he can be a contributor.
    Interested to see what this dude can bring to the Jets table

Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    This signing is great. There low risk and potential for high rewards. ( Better to gamble like this than take a WR pretty high with similar question marks.

If you have a good OC you can find a way to utilize this guy explosive speed. Maybe you use him as a running back coming out of the backfield (third down back) Draws on third and longs or him catching a swing pass have a chance to go along ways. This guy proves to be a threat possible running the football. You fake the pitch out to him your going to get the safeties biting up hard in support. That when it makes it easier to attack deep .
    These kinds of ideas get me excited about having Gates on the roster. It's always good to have a few guys who can really fly.

Even if all he contributed were kickoff returns and a handful of plays per game, that would be enough to be considered a success for a guy we got at no cost.

They where talking about players on the Dolphins being cut on hard knocks leaving the room with a smile on there face on the radio yesterday. It is really bad for the club when guys that may be bagging groceries are happy to get out. Ocho was the only guy that wanted to stay. That club is being run by complete idiots apparently. It is sad enough you can get fans to watch when you are good this may just be the beginning of the end for football in Miami. So far they have gotten rid of a good coach. Run out one of the best WRs in the league. Traded probably the fans favorite player in Davis. Lost Yeremiah Bell to FA. Heck Eric Steinbach retired just so he wouldn't have to play on this team. I mean really out side of the draft did this team do anything to improve? You'd think a team that finished as bad as they did would have a bigger addition then Legedu Naanee! Oh and I guess swapped to a 4-3 and don't have the players for it. Yeah your D that finished like 6th best in points per game needed a face lift. As much as I have been saying Buff is going to finish last I have to say Miami has really killed any chance of that happening in the last few weeks. Man they are going to suck.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Smart move by the front office.

Even if the resident SOJFs are still up in arms for having to cut a 7th round scrub to make room for a player like this

Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    These kinds of ideas get me excited about having Gates on the roster. It's always good to have a few guys who can really fly.

Even if all he contributed were kickoff returns and a handful of plays per game, that would be enough to be considered a success for a guy we got at no cost.
    the jets have no depth at returner, and wrs have been injured all camp. all offseason we fans complained the wr corps had no speed; hill and this guy help, along with schillens.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    They where talking about players on the Dolphins being cut on hard knocks leaving the room with a smile on there face on the radio yesterday. It is really bad for the club when guys that may be bagging groceries are happy to get out. Ocho was the only guy that wanted to stay. That club is being run by complete idiots apparently. It is sad enough you can get fans to watch when you are good this may just be the beginning of the end for football in Miami. So far they have gotten rid of a good coach. Run out one of the best WRs in the league. Traded probably the fans favorite player in Davis. Lost Yeremiah Bell to FA. Heck Eric Steinbach retired just so he wouldn't have to play on this team. I mean really out side of the draft did this team do anything to improve? You'd think a team that finished as bad as they did would have a bigger addition then Legedu Naanee! Oh and I guess swapped to a 4-3 and don't have the players for it. Yeah your D that finished like 6th best in points per game needed a face lift. As much as I have been saying Buff is going to finish last I have to say Miami has really killed any chance of that happening in the last few weeks. Man they are going to suck.
    After watching Hard Knocks, I think that Joe Philbin is the most uninspiring coach I've ever seen. Maybe he cut Gates because he didn't like his salty language.