Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So Why Did the Dolphins Cut this Guy??

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

So Why Did the Dolphins Cut this Guy??

Was he hurt of something? You would think they would have taken a little more time with a guy with this kind of "raw" talent and ELITE speed. It will interesting to see what the deal is here.... I read that Sparano is very high on him.

Well one mans trash is anothers' treasure!

Home » Scouting Reports » Edmund Gates Scouting Report

Separation Skills: Edmund Gates is an extraordinary athlete with the gift of speed. He shows excellent separation skills during deep routes. If given an inch, he’ll take the top off the defense. On underneath crossing routes, he displays the ability to catch the ball and accelerate from defenders. The speed that he has is quite amazing. Time and time again he’s blowing by defenders even when they’ve taken the proper angles. All of that being said, he is very raw when it comes to executing intermediate NFL style routes. He tends to drift into his breaks and will often round things off. Gates had limited experience on the football field time prior to joining the Abilene Christian football team. His first love was basketball and he originally played that sport before being kick off of his JUCO team.

Ball Skills: Despite his lack of experience, he already has learned the art of catching the football. He rarely lets the ball into his frame, showing a propensity at extending his arms and plucking the ball from the air. Gates does a nice job of timing his leaps, meeting the ball at his vertex. He also shows a great amount of focus, especially when in heavy traffic. Somehow some way, he’ll come down with a difficult catch while a defender is draped all over him.

Big play ability: No matter what you want to say about the level of competition Gates faced week in and week out, he is a bona fide deep threat. Watching him blow by defenders is quite funny. The only way I can compare this particular type of speed is by comparing it to a Ferrari vs a Honda Civic. Gates is one of the rare athletes in the nation to possess 4.3 speed. In fact, he ran a 4.37, but he did so with a pulled groin. In all honesty, I believe he is capable of running the the high 4.2′s when fully healthy. The great thing about Gates is that not only he is excellent deep down the field, but he is also excellent in the short game. Bubble screens, drags, reverses, he can take them all to the house. He has the lateral quickness and elusiveness to go along with his speed. Big plays are the name of the game for Gates.

Competitiveness/ Toughness: Has a real nice frame and isn’t afraid to use it. He shows no qualms about going over the middle or blocking in the running game. Plays with a good deal of passion and his teammates feed off of that.
    Intangibles: Gates was a 2010 team captain for the Wildcats. He’s endured some life hardships and has been surrounded by some not-so-great character people, but it seems as if he has maintained himself on a straightened arrow. Prior to his collegiate career as a receiver for the Wildcats, he played basketball at a Community College. During his sophomore year he was kicked off of the team due to being out of shape. Since then, he has had no character issues come up. Also, Gates is an older athlete (24).

Overall Stock: Since showing an uncanny amount of toughness and athleticism at the 2011 NFL Scouting Combine, Gates has received an enormous amount of attention from NFL teams. I mean, who runs a 4.37 forty-yard dash, verts 40 inches, and broad jumps 10.6 feet with a pulled groin?! There’s no wonder why he is a popular guy 3 weeks before the draft. With visits set up with multiple teams, I look for Gates to come off the board in the third round. Whichever team pulls the trigger on him will get a weapon.

That weapon may malfunction initially, but once its greased and massaged, it will become lethal. The thing that makes Gates so special is that he is not the typical speedster. He is a big receiver that can work all sections of the field. Give Gates a season or two, and we’ll be seeing highlights of him blowing by defenders on all national sports shows.

NFL Comparison: Greg Jennings

http://withthefirstpick.com/2011/04/...outing-report/

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's not a good sign when you get cut by the lolphins right now.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's the Dolphins.

/thread.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's cause he's not very good.

I don't know how else you guys can spin it. A team deprived of talent at WR, cut him. He's not very good at all.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post

I don't know how else you guys can spin it. A team deprived of talent at WR, cut him. He's not very good at all.
    Reading this board, you'd think we just picked up Victor Cruz.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Edmond Gates might be small-school, but he has the potential to be big-time in the NFL.

- Gil Brandt, NFL.com Courtesy CBS Sports

This signing is great. There low risk and potential for high rewards. ( Better to gamble like this than take a WR pretty high with similar question marks.

If you have a good OC you can find a way to utilize this guy explosive speed. Maybe you use him as a running back coming out of the backfield (third down back) Draws on third and longs or him catching a swing pass have a chance to go along ways.
    This guy proves to be a threat possible running the football. You fake the pitch out to him your going to get the safeties biting up hard in support. That when it makes it easier to attack deep .

BTw I think The Dolphins had a WR by the name of Wes Welker.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 09-02-2012 at 03:27 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    It's not a good sign when you get cut by the lolphins right now.
    The same team that traded Marshall and Davis.

The Dolphins are a mess, Gates is a talent, nobody can make any sense of what the Dolphins are doing.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post

The Dolphins are a mess, Gates is a talent, nobody can make any sense of what the Dolphins are doing.
    i remember being a fan of Gates when he was in the draft last season. i'm excited to see if he can be a contributor.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He obviously doesn't fit in the west coast offense. I'd be more curious to know why they cut Aaitui. They must have thought he'd clear waivers. Stupid fish.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    In prior posts,I have been very critical of Tanny's management of the draft and free agency. But, this was a good move.
    1) no risk - it was him or White. They managed to get both.
    2) high upside - speed is needed and he has it.

As for the Fish, they hired Philbin so their decision making process ...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Mm, touche.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Funny, I have a lot of trouble making sense of that the Jets are doing....

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Well shall see; I hope you will come back and share more insight if this kid pans out. Just like Maybin sucked too, right? God, you guys just kill me.

You don't make your personnel decisions based on another teams. THAT IS CALLED STUPID. You make take it into account, but you do your own diligence. The kid is raw but has world class speed, not just straight ahead speed either. He had trouble picking up that offense but that doesn't mean he is not very good. I get the feeling they were going to bring back on the PS but Jets claimed him.

He knows Sparanos offense and was drafted by Sparano. This the perfect spot for him to land and develop.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    He avg'd 25 yards per KOR...

You can start him out as a KOR, pick your spots when to use him as a WR and let him develop as a WR...

Again, its not uncommon for a new coaching staff to want "their" guys.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    New HC, new regime, they turn over the roster.

Happens all the time.

Doesn't necessarily mean that the guy deserved to be cut

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Typical Landing Strip F*ck-a-nauts response to a Jet's signing:

We're angry. And are angrily typing on a Saturday afternoon about how guys aren't going to be athletic enough to play a sport I watch on TV while farting into my sweatpants and eating Doritos on Sunday afternoons. Wah.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    He avg'd 25 yards per KOR...

You can start him out as a KOR, pick your spots when to use him as a WR and let him develop as a WR...

Again, its not uncommon for a new coaching staff to want "their" guys.
    I think we have a winner! That and him struggling to learn the offense had to be the main factors. He probably would have made their PS if not for Sparano and Tannenbaum. He is still pretty raw as a receiver but the ceiling is Mike Wallace. Great low risk/high reward move by Tanny.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Typical Landing Strip F*ck-a-nauts response to a Jet's signing:

We're angry. And are angrily typing on a Saturday afternoon about how guys aren't going to be athletic enough to play a sport I watch on TV while farting into my sweatpants and eating Doritos on Sunday afternoons. Wah.
    This

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    Reading this board, you'd think we just picked up Victor Cruz.
    No, reading posts like this make wonder why you are even a fan. No one knows what this kid will do but if you can't intrigued by his skill set...... fill in the blanks, not trying to offend you.

Two years ago Victor Cruz was a nobody and was worried about making the PS. Today he is a household name. I bet if someone told you Victor Cruz would become a good receiver, much less great one, I can pretty much imagine what you have said.

Gates is a very athletic receiver who has ELITE speed; and was a 4th round pick from a small div. II school. Last year as a rookie, he played in 15 games primarily as a KR. Now he is a Jet and reunited with the Coach who drafted him and an offense he is more comfortable in. Take a moment and google every scouting report on this kid and see if you can't get even a little excited about him.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

So if we could go back in time you would have told the Colts that Unitas sucked because a team, the Steelers without a QB cut him, it was proof that he wasn't good.

At all.

There are 1000's of those stories all around sports.

Only the players you like have a chance of being good players.