Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 44

Thread: NYT: Ryan’s Latest Reclamation Project Stands Out Right Away

  1. #1

    NYT: Ryan’s Latest Reclamation Project Stands Out Right Away

    FLORHAM PARK, N.J. — The Jets and the Rams thought that by swapping tackles, each could salvage an underperforming player and improve in pass protection. After putting tackle Jason Smith through a crash course on the playbook and evaluating his performance in the preseason finale, the Jets proclaimed themselves satisfied with the deal.

    The Jets traded Wayne Hunter to St. Louis on Monday for Smith and boiled down a month of training camp into one day for him. Smith passed his physical Tuesday, practiced Wednesday and then started at left tackle in Thursday night’s 28-10 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles. Coach Rex Ryan had said he would use Smith on 10 snaps, but he left him in for 33.

    Smith was the first player Ryan mentioned when he discussed Thursday’s game. He said Smith and the newly named starting right tackle, Austin Howard, were impressive.

    “It’s certainly not for the P.R. attention,” Ryan said, joking. “Jason, that’s kind of unique, you only had a guy for one or two meetings, you put him in there with the starting group and he plays the entire half. And he did a tremendous job.”

    Smith will assume Hunter’s role as the swing tackle off the bench, also playing blocking tight end in the jumbo package.

    Smith was regarded as Orlando Pace’s heir apparent at left tackle when the Rams selected him with the No. 2 pick in 2009. He struggled and was moved to right tackle after the Rams drafted Rodger Saffold in 2010. Smith was limited to 29 games in three seasons because of concussions.

    The lofty expectations that burdened Smith are gone now, and he has no illusions of becoming the next, well, anyone.

    “Right now, I’m just a nobody,” Smith said. “And I like it that way. It allows me to crawl, scratch, dig and have fun doing it, as opposed to being the guy.”

    A few lockers over from Smith, Aaron Maybin crooned to a Motown tune, snapping his fingers and dancing while wearing a towel around his waist.
    Maybin knows the feeling.

    “They kind of just took the pressure off of my shoulders,” said Maybin, who was drafted by the Buffalo Bills in 2009, nine picks after Smith, and was cut twice before the Jets turned him from a bust into a bargain.

    Ryan is treating Smith the way he did Maybin.

    “He wanted to take all the pressure from the media and from the fans, and just let me get back to having fun,” Maybin said of Ryan, adding, “That was exactly what I needed.”

    This year’s Jets are featuring new faces and implementing some rules. Smith may have had only one day to learn the playbook, but he quickly exercised the team’s vow of silence when it came to questions about the newly designed option-read offense.

    “You got to play like a Jet, you got to dress like a Jet, you got to think like a Jet, so go ask Coach that question,” Smith said, sounding as if he had been with the Jets since Day 1.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/02/sp...l?ref=football

  2. #2
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Cape Cod, MA
    Posts
    3,673
    re-read it twice, can't find the "circus" part.

  3. #3
    Smith was very impressive on Thursday. Not many players can step in and perform like that with one practice and one meeting with the team.

    Of course, playing against 2nd stringers helped, but he went up against quality pass rushers that will be key players for the Eagles this year, or that they are high on for the future.

    Smith showed a lot, his range was impressive, showed good push in the running game, defenders seemed to bounce off of him, and I loved how after every run, he was always the first OL'n to pick up the RB from the ground, throwing off defenders to do it. This has to be what Ryan saw, it was impressive.

    Smith has me as excited as any other pick-up the Jets have had so far this year, that's saying something. I love his comments in this article too, maybe the pressure was too much, let him settle down, and climb his way back to the top, this kid has a chance to eventually become the starting RT, Howard has to still perform.

  4. #4
    Very optimistic. If this trade works out it will bring a few JETS fans (including myself) closer from jumping off the ledge!......

  5. #5
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornwood, NY
    Posts
    5,643
    I'm cautiously optimistic about Smith as well. At worst, I think he'll be better than Hunter for this team so it's a positive.

    Smith, Maybin, Landry, Tebow...

    We're like the wayward home for castoff 1st round picks. Not even counting Cromartie because he wasn't a castoff. Did I miss anyone else?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Smith was very impressive on Thursday. Not many players can step in and perform like that with one practice and one meeting with the team.

    Of course, playing against 2nd stringers helped, but he went up against quality pass rushers that will be key players for the Eagles this year, or that they are high on for the future.

    Smith showed a lot, his range was impressive, showed good push in the running game, defenders seemed to bounce off of him, and I loved how after every run, he was always the first OL'n to pick up the RB from the ground, throwing off defenders to do it. This has to be what Ryan saw, it was impressive.

    Smith has me as excited as any other pick-up the Jets have had so far this year, that's saying something. I love his comments in this article too, maybe the pressure was too much, let him settle down, and climb his way back to the top, this kid has a chance to eventually become the starting RT, Howard has to still perform.
    I think we forget sometimes that they are human and basically kids. When expectations are set too high it can be detrimental to the players growth. Lets hope that Smith has found a place here and Tanny will look like a genius...

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    I'm cautiously optimistic about Smith as well. At worst, I think he'll be better than Hunter for this team so it's a positive.

    Smith, Maybin, Landry, Tebow...

    We're like the wayward home for castoff 1st round picks. Not even counting Cromartie because he wasn't a castoff. Did I miss anyone else?
    I'm still high and hopeful for Ricky Sapp eventually making it back to the team and emerge as a player this year.

    Might as well add Holmes to that list, he's been hurt, but his work as a leader at the WR position, his attitude, and his re-commitment to the team this year has at least been very positive.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by stanner View Post
    re-read it twice, can't find the "circus" part.
    LOL

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    Very optimistic. If this trade works out it will bring a few JETS fans (including myself) closer from jumping off the ledge!......
    It's probably not the way I would have done things but if the FO is able to put together a decent OL before the first game, the job is done. I give them great credit for moving Hunter (thank God !) and picking up a reasonable talent like Smith seems to be.

  10. #10
    Smith was very impressive on Thursday. Not many players can step in and perform like that with one practice and one meeting with the team.
    Smith is a pretty bright guy. He scored a 23 on the wonderlic. Also according to Wikipedia, "prior to his senior year, Smith graduated a year early from the school in May 2008, having graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Education degree in recreation." Considering most college football players dont even graduate, getting your degree a year early while starting is impressive. He sounds motivated and happy to be "just one of the guys". Looks like a good pick-up.

  11. #11
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    220
    Quote Originally Posted by OC_Jet View Post
    Smith is a pretty bright guy. He scored a 23 on the wonderlic. Also according to Wikipedia, "prior to his senior year, Smith graduated a year early from the school in May 2008, having graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Education degree in recreation." Considering most college football players dont even graduate, getting your degree a year early while starting is impressive. He sounds motivated and happy to be "just one of the guys". Looks like a good pick-up.
    I agree he's a bright guy too, but let's not get crazy, his degree was in "recreation". I guess that's better than Cromartie, who's degree seems to have been in "procreation".

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    I'm cautiously optimistic about Smith as well. At worst, I think he'll be better than Hunter for this team so it's a positive.

    Smith, Maybin, Landry, Tebow...

    We're like the wayward home for castoff 1st round picks. Not even counting Cromartie because he wasn't a castoff. Did I miss anyone else?
    Sometimes the scenery change and the reality that without football these guys are no where makes them see the light. Cromartie has been VERY solid in pre season and not a bad pick up. Maybin is showing signs although he gets pushed around a little.

    Tebow? We'll see.

  13. #13
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornwood, NY
    Posts
    5,643
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    I agree he's a bright guy too, but let's not get crazy, his degree was in "recreation". I guess that's better than Cromartie, who's degree seems to have been in "procreation".
    Not bad. Not bad at all.

  14. #14
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Green Frozen North
    Posts
    187
    Thanks CMart. Again
    The quantity and more importantly the quality of your posts improve everyone's experience here.

    Sports reporters covering our team could learn a thing or two from you.

    Regarging the topic of RT , I think that things are improving and we have some degree of hope that theposition has solidified from the substraction of WFH, the promo of Howard and the move for Smith. Moore is key to the outcome.

  15. #15
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Green Frozen North
    Posts
    187
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Smith was very impressive on Thursday. Not many players can step in and perform like that with one practice and one meeting with the team.

    Of course, playing against 2nd stringers helped, but he went up against quality pass rushers that will be key players for the Eagles this year, or that they are high on for the future.

    Smith showed a lot, his range was impressive, showed good push in the running game, defenders seemed to bounce off of him, and I loved how after every run, he was always the first OL'n to pick up the RB from the ground, throwing off defenders to do it. This has to be what Ryan saw, it was impressive.

    Smith has me as excited as any other pick-up the Jets have had so far this year, that's saying something. I love his comments in this article too, maybe the pressure was too much, let him settle down, and climb his way back to the top, this kid has a chance to eventually become the starting RT, Howard has to still perform.
    I saw that too. How impressive was that!!!!
    "Play like a Jet"......... indeed

  16. #16
    It seems like Maybin and Smith weren't well suited to deal with the pressure of being top picks.

    Like they said, they want to be "one of the guys," not "the guy."

  17. #17
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,950
    I think Smith is highly motivated and I expect a big effort out of him this year.

    I don't know why he struggled in STL. He clearly has all the physical tools. Maybe he did struggle with the expectations and things snowballed on him.

    Hopefully we put him in a position to succeed and he plays well. He looked good the other night.

  18. #18
    All League
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Bronx, USA
    Posts
    4,793
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I think Smith is highly motivated and I expect a big effort out of him this year.

    I don't know why he struggled in STL. He clearly has all the physical tools. Maybe he did struggle with the expectations and things snowballed on him.

    Hopefully we put him in a position to succeed and he plays well. He looked good the other night.
    Kool aid drinker

  19. #19
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,950
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    Kool aid drinker
    LOL.

    Hopefully I don't tarnish my reputation.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    I agree he's a bright guy too, but let's not get crazy, his degree was in "recreation". I guess that's better than Cromartie, who's degree seems to have been in "procreation".
    Maybe so. But he is damned good at it.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us