Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mike Tannenbaum + 2012 Off Season = Tim Tebow

Quote Originally Posted by Gregfromthebx View Post
    Point is the GM has done absolutely nothing to help the offense. Jets are going to have to win games 17-13, 10-6 in order to make this a season. Not gonna happen. Bottom line......Jets will not score enough points to win 7 games this season because the GM let this team take 3 steps back on O. Thankfully I live in Florida now to keep myself distracted from a 6-10 season in New York. I'll post post cards from the beach mid-season with an I told u so. Peace.
    Ditto.

Sunny Florida Sundays and my Harley will be tons of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by srobjets View Post
    Ditto.

Sunny Florida Sundays and my Harley will be tons of fun.
    Good. Don't come crawling back when the Jets are in a division race and sporting the best D in football.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper17 View Post
    I have higher expectations. I think the run game will look a lot better than it did in the preseason. There really was a lot of vanilla type stuff. Straight power, simple sweeps, dives, things like that. I think it's going to look and be a bit more successful. I also think its a much different offense than we've seen recently. Reminds me a lot more of what Charlie Weiss did here way back when, pulling multiple lineman, more draw concepts, etc. Really should play better with Greene's straight-ahead-ness. I am a Greene defender but I will agree that this is his make or break season. If he can't be successful with some of the man-man power stuff, he doesn't really have much of a future.

As for the passing game, I already like what I've seen. Much easier throws, much more spacing, a little more diversity in routes and combinations, not forcing the Nacho into single-read situations. I won't completely ignore a perceivable lack of talent, but there's offensive stars on every team that at one point were considered "not talented" or JAGs. People here couldn't get their rocks off fast enough when Steven Hill was drafted and now he drops a couple of balls and "the front office didn't address a need." Kid's raw. Came from an option offense, who is surprised by this. But Demarious Thomas is just coming into his own now and I think within a year or two Hill can be special also. Coaching him up as quickly as possible plus perhaps finally utilizing DK81 the right way and trying to take advantage of Kerley's quickness, or possibly getting McKnight in space, this offense could be just fine. Plus the different ways Tebow can be used to create mismatches and the like. Nothing greatest show on turf or anything like that but better than it has been. Even if the amounts of 3-and-outs are reduced, its a huge improvement.
    I really like Hill. His physical tools alone give him #1 potential. I just don't think he'll be particularly useful this year. Let's say 35 receptions for 500 yards or so. That would be a good rookie year for him, but that's not the kind of production you want from your #2 receiver.

This has been a constant talking point here recently. I wont necessarily pontificate about what he has done, but I pose the question back at you. Who says these things needed to be addressed.

The big things everyone is upset about, or seems to be:

Blocking TE
    Identify for me, ONE TE in the league that is singled out as being an asset to his team for his blocking ability. Which of Gronkowski and Hernandez is a "blocking TE"? Who is the Giants' "Blocking TE"? I live in Baltimore and am thusforth submitted to Ravens' drivel. Last year they went to the AFCCG with Dennis Pitta and Ed Dickson. Do you know which of those guys is the "Blocking TE"?

WR Depth
    A semi-legitimate concern. I'll borrow Baltimore again. They went into that AFCCG with Anquan Boldin, Torrey Smith, and Lee Evans. You can make a modest point that they resultantly lost that game and you could probably even make a claim that it was because it was Lee Evans "dropped" that touch down but never-the-less, with that group of receivers, they made it to the championship game and were in position to win. Plus when this team is allegedly a ground-and-pound team, why does it matter that we go into the season with a former Super Bowl MVP, a physically talented but raw rookie, and unknown commodities in the third spot. That got another "ground-and-pound" team, the Ravens to being within a drop from the Super Bowl.

RT
    This was a legitimate concern and to me should have been addressed. When Eric Winston when on the market, I would be lying if I said I didn't get a semi going. Figured it was a match made in heaven. Well the front office held their ground and didn't bite. Well hell, I thought, they are the ones working in the NFL, not me, I'll give em the benefit of the doubt. They got this new sunglasses at night guy coming in, he's coached lineman before, he knows more than me, go for it.

Well, that didn't pan out. Wayne Hunter again defied everything I know about the laws of science and got worse. Who could have imagined right? Well something had to be done and I for one (again, not being a professional) didn't know what that could be. Obviously few teams are interested in trading their starting RT away. Even if they were the price would surely be a king's ransom. Nope, no problem. We will trade away the worst player on the roster for something MORE THAN a bag of balls and used tube socks. What we'll get in return is indeed a person who at one time was considered at least talented enough at the position to be considered a number 2 overall draft pick. Obviously the mighty had fallen but as we found out last Thursday, not as horrifically far as some of the sheeple on here would have you believe. No matter how you slice it, the worst person on our roster is gone, and we found at least for the time being one, if not two players that-as it would appear at this time- markedly improve what was a legitimate weakness. Yet to you, this is not nearly enough.

Running Back
    Did you know only 12 running backs last year carried a football for more yards than Shonn Greene did. 5 of those backs were on teams that did not reach the playoffs. I wont try to tell you that I have been impressed with Greene, but to insist he is this piece of trash that doesn't belong on an NFL team is ludicrous. As for depth, I don't hate what we have. Joe McKnight showed us last year that he has big-play ability. Are their some chinks in his armor? Sure. I still think he is better prepared to be a number 2 than Powell at this point. Then there is the man himself who according to some, is ready to challenge for playing time. This doesn't seem like such a glaring weakness as some would have me believe.

Oh and then there's your infatuation for Tim Tebow. If it is assumed by this Front Office that Tebow is here to compete for starting QB, we have a much bigger problem than Tebow being on the roster in the first place. What was done with Tebow move was to improve the roster by adding one of the most natural gutsy, hearty, football player that has come around in awhile. Not QB, football player. If this coaching staff is worth anything, they will find endless ways to use Tebow as a football player to improve the offense and score more points. We all saw last year what Tebow can do in the right circumstances. If the offensive staff can do anything to emphasize his strengths and minimize his weaknesses, he will be worth his weight in gold.

If you feel to carry on your tired Pfail Strip speaking points all the other "experts" on here chose to stand by, go for it. But as I posted in another thread last night...

If our GM is so bad, or so unqualified for the position. Can you imagine how bad you all would be? I suspect 9+ out of 10 of you have never coached a practice down of football beyond your kids' Peewee leagues. Why does that qualify you to criticize the moves, knowledge, or insight of professional football management officials?

I know, derp derp, why can't we call into question the moves of this front office cuz we iz teh fans and pay their salaries. That's fine, but questioning moves is one thing.The blatant disrespect and immediate disqualification of what these NFL professionals do is entirely different and truthfully is embarrassing as a fellow fan.
    You made about twenty errors in this post. My favorite is Shonn Greene was top 12 rushing last year. Oh, great, our Coach is going to ground and pound it with the 12th best back in the league and pretty much the same offensive line. By the way, last time I checked, Tannenbaum was an accountant who weaseled his way the big job. So in fact, someone who coached pee-wee football might have a better eye for talent then him.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    You made about twenty errors in this post.
    Well thank you for taking your time to respond to only one and a half of them.

My favorite is Shonn Greene was top 12 rushing last year. Oh, great, our Coach is going to ground and pound it with the 12th best back in the league and pretty much the same offensive line.
    I'm sorry I'm just not as pessimistic about it. I feel like these people are under the impression that he was the 40th or 50th best back in the league. "No vision, no breakaway speed, no shiftiness." I'm not saying those things are false, there's some merit to them, but these were the things touted by the same people screaming about getting Payton Hillis. The guy has a brand new offense to run behind which should in my opinion emphasize his down-hill running. Where as Shantfindtheendzoneheimer had him running half-aszed zone schemes.

By the way, last time I checked, Tannenbaum was an accountant who weaseled his way the big job. So in fact, someone who coached pee-wee football might have a better eye for talent then him.
    Intimate knowledge of the situation or clairvoyance? Or like most else posted here, pure speculation? A conspiracy perhaps? Government payoffs? No, I know. Obama and his cronies I don't care how "weasily" one is, you don't become a GM if you don't know what you're doing. Plus its not like there is an entire scouting department. Tannenbaum personally evaluates every single potential player.

Veteran
    North Shore of Long Island. East Setauket
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    Why do people think this **** is funny?
    LOL...thats great

You made about twenty errors in this post. My favorite is Shonn Greene was top 12 rushing last year. Oh, great, our Coach is going to ground and pound it with the 12th best back in the league and pretty much the same offensive line. By the way, last time I checked, Tannenbaum was an accountant who weaseled his way the big job. So in fact, someone who coached pee-wee football might have a better eye for talent then him.
    Take a closer look at Greene's numbers in comparison to others. He had 253 carries for 1054 yards, with an avg of 4.2 ypc. Compare that to the 2 of the best rushers last year, MJD and Arian Foster. MJD avg'ed 4.7 ypc for 1606 and Foster avg'ed 4.4 ypc and 1224 yards.

IF you took MJD's # of carries and multiplied it by Greene's 4.2 ypc, Greene would have had 1440.6 yards, or just 165 fewer yards than MJD. Using Foster's numbers, he would have had 1167.6 yards, which is 56.4 yards less than Foster.

Take that last one, divide it by a 16 game season and that comes up to 3.5 yards less per game.

Jets Insider VIP
    Point is the GM has done absolutely nothing to help the offense. Jets are going to have to win games 17-13, 10-6 in order to make this a season. Not gonna happen. Bottom line......Jets will not score enough points to win 7 games this season because the GM let this team take 3 steps back on O. Thankfully I live in Florida now to keep myself distracted from a 6-10 season in New York. I'll post post cards from the beach mid-season with an I told u so. Peace.
    Point is you have NO POINT.

Thankfully for Jet fans here in NY and especially the Bronx, you live in Florida.

1. Most of New England's run game is zone stuff, inside trap, or run out of the spread (not necessarily relying on the TE as an in-line blocker) so how you can deduce Gronkowski's blocking abilities escapes me.

2. THAT's ALL you took out of all of that?
    what the hell does running a ZBS have to do with whether or not a TE can block in line?

If he is spread out wide and and come in and whams the olb sealing the edge is that not effective blocking?

But most of all what the hell does the guard play have to do with the effectiveness of Gronk on the outside against the DE or OLB?

He deduces his skills by watching the game.

You guys should not get on Tanny's case now after years of him being called a cap genius. There is no money for replacement players as the money was spent to acquire players or hold on to existing players and not lose them to FA in years past.

It is a hell of a lot easier to build a team than to maintain one.

And Woody brought in Tebow, not Tannenbaun.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    what the hell does running a ZBS have to do with whether or not a TE can block in line?
    Zone blocking is based more on athleticism than strength/power than man blocking schemes do. One of the benefits and determinants in the emergence of zone schemes at all levels is because it is considered a little easier to do especially if a team is undersized or out-muscled. This is not meant to be an indictment on Pats' linemen or Gronkowski just a clarification of my assertion. A blocker effective in a zone scheme does not to me necessarily indicate an effective "blocking TE" akin to what all of the chicken littles here are clamoring for.

If he is spread out wide and and come in and whams the olb sealing the edge is that not effective blocking?
    Very much so. However, again not a knock on Gronkowski by any means, but that is an easier block to make. Similarly to the same way receivers come back towards the formation and make the same block. Like above, doesn't necessarily indicative of skills a "blocking TE" would have.

But most of all what the hell does the guard play have to do with the effectiveness of Gronk on the outside against the DE or OLB?
    I'm not sure where this comes from. If it relates to my claim to the trap runs and guards pulling and the like, in essence the guard play doesn't relate to
    TE blocking much. A lot of inside trap stuff like the Pats run really doesn't require much from the tackles or TEs on either side of the play as the play is supposed to hit so quickly that blocks on the end of the line are merely a punch and go down field.

He deduces his skills by watching the game.
    I guess he and I watch different Pats games.

Again, I don't mean to speak negatively about Gronkowski or the Pats. Obviously Gronk is one of the best players in the league and the Pats offense is more than successful. I was simply using my experience and observations to illustrate how the concept of a "Blocking TE" does not a contender make.

+1

Tanny really neglected this offensive unit. Just the fact that Wayne Hunter was allowed to get guaranteed money this year after he mailed it in last season and got Sanchez killed is disgusting.

Can Tebow play Right Tackle? Maybe the Jesus Juice will help him.

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Take a closer look at Greene's numbers in comparison to others. He had 253 carries for 1054 yards, with an avg of 4.2 ypc. Compare that to the 2 of the best rushers last year, MJD and Arian Foster. MJD avg'ed 4.7 ypc for 1606 and Foster avg'ed 4.4 ypc and 1224 yards.

IF you took MJD's # of carries and multiplied it by Greene's 4.2 ypc, Greene would have had 1440.6 yards, or just 165 fewer yards than MJD. Using Foster's numbers, he would have had 1167.6 yards, which is 56.4 yards less than Foster.

Take that last one, divide it by a 16 game season and that comes up to 3.5 yards less per game.
    Are you going to go away once Tebow becomes the starter and bombs?