Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What to expect at the Dem Convention

Quote Originally Posted by Piper View Post
    It was nice and classy that they honored that lifelong humanitarian Ted Kennedy.

I wonder if Mary Jo Kopechne's family was riveted to their TV.
    Of course it's downright comical that they have Charlie Rangal on to provided expert commentary.

The party accusing the right of waging a war on woman pays a tribute to Ted Kennedy? LMFAO.

Moon battery at it's finest....

Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    LOL! That is so misinformed and flat out ignorant. Get your facts straight.
    Thats why study after study the VA outperforms private healthcare in the USA in just about every measurable indicator of quality healthcare. Not only that but patient satisfaction at the VA exceeds that in the private sector.

Your father is the exception not the rule.

Are there waits? Sure, for non-urgent healthcare matters. But those who complain are typically those who do not have enough of a medical background to understand what is considered medically necessary and what is medically urgent vs elective.

When you consider the high quality of care at the VA and that its is done at a much lower cost/patient you will understand why the VA should be a model for what a basic govt provided/tax payer paid insurance offered to all should look like. If you want a cadillac insurance that wastes money people should have that option but pay for it themselves.

For the misinformed I suggest you read Phil Longman's Book, Best Care Anywhere: Why VA Healthcare is Better than Yours.

For those who prefer to remain ignorant and spout off nonsense about how the current state of private healthcare is the best dont bother.

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/fea...1.longman.html
    http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...376238,00.html
    http://tucsoncitizen.com/medicare/20...rnment-report/
    http://articles.latimes.com/2010/may...-turn-20100503
    I checked out Phil Longman. Another guy that never had a real job in his life.
    His wife dies so now he has praise for the VA.
    BTW, I took a look at hospital rankings - US News. They ranked hospitals by type of physical problem - cancer, heart, gastroenterology etc -
    15 major different problems. Generally 50 per category. The VA appears nowhere. Of course they may be calling themselves Duke Med or the Mayo or Johns Hopkins these days.
    The VA is a cheap BUT LOUSY treatment for ex servicemen of limited means. I, as an example, am not eligible despite my military record (not a retiree) because I have an income and assets too high. No way in hell I would ever go there. The one in Charleston was ranked as #10 among VAs. Way down versus alternatives in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    I checked out Phil Longman. Another guy that never had a real job in his life.
    His wife dies so now he has praise for the VA.
    BTW, I took a look at hospital rankings - US News. They ranked hospitals by type of physical problem - cancer, heart, gastroenterology etc -
    15 major different problems. Generally 50 per category. The VA appears nowhere. Of course they may be calling themselves Duke Med or the Mayo or Johns Hopkins these days.
    The VA is a cheap BUT LOUSY treatment for ex servicemen of limited means. I, as an example, am not eligible despite my military record (not a retiree) because I have an income and assets too high. No way in hell I would ever go there. The one in Charleston was ranked as #10 among VAs. Way down versus alternatives in the area.
    The VA does not participate in that evaluation.
    Nice try though.
    What about the data I presented. Do you have any data to challenge it? Where is your data that the treatment is LOUSY? Just another statement you pulled out of your a$$?
    Back your statement up with a study not more of your own misinformed anecdotal BS?

The VA does not participate in that evaluation.
    Nice try though.
    What about the data I presented. Do you have any data to challenge it? Where is your data that the treatment is LOUSY? Just another statement you pulled out of your a$$?
    Back your statement up with a study not more of your own misinformed anecdotal BS?

Does not participate? How convenient. "We suck so you can't see our data."
    Study? No vet will go there if he doesn't have to.
    Word of mouth. The VA stinks. Not in the study? Right.
    Sorry, you work for a lousy organization. Perhaps start your own practice (that's the American way) and let's see what you have.
    No pressure. Easy job. Civil servant with zero accountability. "Hey, my patient died. No problem, here's another. We have plenty of poor guys. Don't worry, we won't tell because we don't have to like the boys at Duke or Mayo". LMFAO.
    This is a military town and nobody goes. I have doctor neighbors who laugh at the VA. Anecdotal? ACCURATE!

All Pro
    The propaganda war (on both sides, of course) continues:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/05/politi...html?hpt=us_c2
    Anyone watching the Democratic National Convention on Tuesday night heard the number 4.5 million several times.

"Despite incredible odds and united Republican opposition, our president took action, and now we've seen 4.5 million new jobs," San Antonio Mayor Julian Castro, the party's keynote speaker, said.

Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel, who served as President Barack Obama's chief of staff, and Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick, who followed Obama's November rival Mitt Romney as governor of Massachusetts, both cited the same number.

Sights and sounds from the DNC

It's a big-sounding number, given the still-sputtering job market. So we're giving it a close eyeballing.

The facts:

The number Castro cites is an accurate description of the growth of private-sector jobs since January 2010, when the long, steep slide in employment finally hit bottom. But while a total of 4.5 million jobs sounds great, it's not the whole picture.
    Watch full speech of Julian Castro
    Photos: Best of the DNC Photos: Best of the DNC

Nonfarm private payrolls hit a post-recession low of 106.8 million that month, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. The figure currently stands at 111.3 million as of July.

While that is indeed a gain of 4.5 million, it's only a net gain of 300,000 over the course of the Obama administration to date. The private jobs figure stood at 111 million in January 2009, the month Obama took office.

And total nonfarm payrolls, including government workers, are down from 133.6 million workers at the beginning of 2009 to 133.2 million in July 2012. There's been a net loss of nearly 1 million public-sector jobs since Obama took office, despite a surge in temporary hiring for the 2010 census.

Meanwhile, the jobs that have come back aren't the same ones that were lost.

Are you better off?

According to a study released last week by the liberal-leaning National Employment Law Project, low-wage fields such as retail sales and food service are adding jobs nearly three times as fast as higher-paid occupations.

Conclusion:

The figure of 4.5 million jobs is accurate if you look at the most favorable period and category for the administration. But overall, there are still fewer people working now than when Obama took office at the height of the recession.

Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Does not participate? How convenient. "We suck so you can't see our data."
    Study? No vet will go there if he doesn't have to.
    Word of mouth. The VA stinks. Not in the study? Right.
    Sorry, you work for a lousy organization. Perhaps start your own practice (that's the American way) and let's see what you have.
    No pressure. Easy job. Civil servant with zero accountability. "Hey, my patient died. No problem, here's another. We have plenty of poor guys. Don't worry, we won't tell because we don't have to like the boys at Duke or Mayo". LMFAO.
    This is a military town and nobody goes. I have doctor neighbors who laugh at the VA. Anecdotal? ACCURATE!
    The VA is not in the US News rankings because no federal hospital is included. The VA doesnt hide any data. In fact because of its superior electronic records, data gathering at the VA is easy, efficient and accurate. Thats why the VA takes part in so many large clinical trials. As far as data regarding performance of the VA, clearly you did not read any of the articles. Studies with regards to the VA's superior performance are well documented in the New England Journal of Medicine as well as the Annals of Internal Medicine. Of course you need to read those to have an understanding.

Of course you prefer anecdotal information rather than well organized studies published in the peer reviewed medical literature. I guess that cause Repubs like you dont like fancy things like studies and data with statistics. Thats just for those elitist snooty academic types, not for real guys like you.

You have proven my point. You are clueless with regards to the VA and healthcare in general. Enjoy living life in absolute ignorance.

The VA is not in the US News rankings because no federal hospital is included. The VA doesnt hide any data. In fact because of its superior electronic records, data gathering at the VA is easy, efficient and accurate. Thats why the VA takes part in so many large clinical trials. As far as data regarding performance of the VA, clearly you did not read any of the articles. Studies with regards to the VA's superior performance are well documented in the New England Journal of Medicine as well as the Annals of Internal Medicine. Of course you need to read those to have an understanding.

Of course you prefer anecdotal information rather than well organized studies published in the peer reviewed medical literature. I guess that cause Repubs like you dont like fancy things like studies and data with statistics. Thats just for those elitist snooty academic types, not for real guys like you.

You have proven my point. You are clueless with regards to the VA and healthcare in general. Enjoy living life in absolute ignorance.
    Can you provide the VA's own data reporting website. The data, not articles about the data. Thanks.

Jets Insider VIP
    LOL! That is so misinformed and flat out ignorant. Get your facts straight.
    Thats why study after study the VA outperforms private healthcare in the USA in just about every measurable indicator of quality healthcare. Not only that but patient satisfaction at the VA exceeds that in the private sector.

Your father is the exception not the rule.

Are there waits? Sure, for non-urgent healthcare matters. But those who complain are typically those who do not have enough of a medical background to understand what is considered medically necessary and what is medically urgent vs elective.

When you consider the high quality of care at the VA and that its is done at a much lower cost/patient you will understand why the VA should be a model for what a basic govt provided/tax payer paid insurance offered to all should look like. If you want a cadillac insurance that wastes money people should have that option but pay for it themselves.

For the misinformed I suggest you read Phil Longman's Book, Best Care Anywhere: Why VA Healthcare is Better than Yours.

For those who prefer to remain ignorant and spout off nonsense about how the current state of private healthcare is the best dont bother.

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/fea...1.longman.html
    http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...376238,00.html
    http://tucsoncitizen.com/medicare/20...rnment-report/
    http://articles.latimes.com/2010/may...-turn-20100503
    you're an even bigger ****head than I thought. They've told my dad that they lost his files. Then they told him they were classified. And his medical problems were all related to his time in the Army. So there's nothing ignorant or misinformed about it, *******. I work in govt and have seen firsthand how inefficient, corrupt, and inept it can be, so GFY.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by brady's a catcher View Post
    The propaganda war (on both sides, of course) continues:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/05/politi...html?hpt=us_c2
    Anyone watching the Democratic National Convention on Tuesday night heard the number 4.5 million several times.

"Despite incredible odds and united Republican opposition, our president took action, and now we've seen 4.5 million new jobs," San Antonio Mayor Julian Castro, the party's keynote speaker, said.

Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel, who served as President Barack Obama's chief of staff, and Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick, who followed Obama's November rival Mitt Romney as governor of Massachusetts, both cited the same number.

Sights and sounds from the DNC

It's a big-sounding number, given the still-sputtering job market. So we're giving it a close eyeballing.

The facts:

The number Castro cites is an accurate description of the growth of private-sector jobs since January 2010, when the long, steep slide in employment finally hit bottom. But while a total of 4.5 million jobs sounds great, it's not the whole picture.
    Watch full speech of Julian Castro
    Photos: Best of the DNC Photos: Best of the DNC

Nonfarm private payrolls hit a post-recession low of 106.8 million that month, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. The figure currently stands at 111.3 million as of July.

While that is indeed a gain of 4.5 million, it's only a net gain of 300,000 over the course of the Obama administration to date. The private jobs figure stood at 111 million in January 2009, the month Obama took office.

And total nonfarm payrolls, including government workers, are down from 133.6 million workers at the beginning of 2009 to 133.2 million in July 2012. There's been a net loss of nearly 1 million public-sector jobs since Obama took office, despite a surge in temporary hiring for the 2010 census.

Meanwhile, the jobs that have come back aren't the same ones that were lost.

Are you better off?

According to a study released last week by the liberal-leaning National Employment Law Project, low-wage fields such as retail sales and food service are adding jobs nearly three times as fast as higher-paid occupations.

Conclusion:

The figure of 4.5 million jobs is accurate if you look at the most favorable period and category for the administration. But overall, there are still fewer people working now than when Obama took office at the height of the recession.
    Nice breakdown by CNN.

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Can you provide the VA's own data reporting website. The data, not articles about the data. Thanks.
    LOL! Are you conducting a study? Do you have the appropriate credentials to analyze the data? Did you pass the VA IRB requirements to even be able to conduct research using the data? 'Cause unless you did, you dont have direct access to the data.

What you do have is access to the studies which looked at the data and were published in the peer reviewed medical literature. Here are a couple of articles. Enjoy.

After you read them please provide me with any articles in the peer reviewed medical literature that showed that care at the VA is inferior. I know the other clowns hear can not, maybe you can since you have so much doubt- which im sure is based on something more than "what youve heard".

http://www.nejm.org/doi/pdf/10.1056/NEJMsa021899
    http://annals.org/article.aspx?articleid=718025

Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    you're an even bigger ****head than I thought. They've told my dad that they lost his files. Then they told him they were classified. And his medical problems were all related to his time in the Army. So there's nothing ignorant or misinformed about it, *******. I work in govt and have seen firsthand how inefficient, corrupt, and inept it can be, so GFY.
    Again, the exception not the rule. This stuff also happens in the private sector as well. I know. Ive worked in both.

Your dad is just ONE incident out of hundreds of thousands who have had no problem.

Again, show me the evidence that care at the VA is inferior. I want published studies, not what your dad's experience is (as unfortunate as it may be) or other anectodal studies. Until you can do that you are fill of Sh!t.

LOL! Are you conducting a study? Do you have the appropriate credentials to analyze the data? Did you pass the VA IRB requirements to even be able to conduct research using the data? 'Cause unless you did, you dont have direct access to the data.
    I'd bet I have more "credentials" and education to analyse data than you do Doc.

I may not be an MD, but we all have our skills and professional knowledge and the like. And no, I won't elaborate.

So the TLDR is "the data is not available for public review barring a FOIA request". Thank you.

What you do have is access to the studies which looked at the data and were published in the peer reviewed medical literature. Here are a couple of articles. Enjoy.
    Thank you.

After you read them please provide me with any articles in the peer reviewed medical literature that showed that care at the VA is inferior.
    I've not made that claim. Doing so without supporting data in hand would be poor analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    I'd bet I have more "credentials" and education to analyse data than you do Doc.

I may not be an MD, but we all have our skills and professional knowledge and the like. And no, I won't elaborate.

So the TLDR is "the data is not available for public review barring a FOIA request". Thank you.

I didnt question your capacity to evaluate the data. I questioned your credentials to look at the data (hence the IRB question), which clearly you do not have, otherwise you would access it yourself.

Dont be so sensitive.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by brady's a catcher View Post
    ...low-wage fields such as retail sales and food service are adding jobs nearly three times as fast as higher-paid occupations.
    Which should be great for a nations economy. According to people who worked hard to inherit money:

http://www.newser.com/story/153495/w...f-2-a-day.html

Gina Rinehart, that charming Australian billionaire who last week advised the world's "jealous" poor to stop whining and drinking so much, is back with more priceless advice. The world's richest woman, who amassed her family fortune via iron-ore mining, thinks Australia's struggling mining industry should look to Africa for inspiration. There, miners "are willing to work for less than $2 per day."

In a video recorded for the Sydney Mining Club, she explains that "Africans want to work. Such statistics make me worry for this country's future. Indeed, if we competed at the Olympic Games as sluggishly as we compete economically, there would be an outcry." PM Julia Gillard responded today, saying, "It's not the Australian way to toss people ... a $2 gold coin and then ask them to work for a day."
    Lower the pay = better the economy.

Africans have it good.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Which should be great for a nations economy. According to people who worked hard to inherit money:

Lower the pay = better the economy.

Africans have it good.
    Contrary to unsupported beliefs , study after study show that the majority of wealth is earned not inherited but is earned.

This is just one write up...Forbes has a good one, too lazy to search. I see millionaires EVERY DAY. Contractors, Lawyers, home builders, weigh loss center operator, a yougurt store "developer", CPA's.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/26/op...en-richer.html

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    I worked in the same group as Quant for 4 years. I quit because I wouldn't spend 30 years in that environment.

My first boss, who I was promoted OVER in 2 years now has a $70K pension and retired at 60. He couldnt balance a checkbook and was moved from job to job because of his ineptness.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    My first boss, who I was promoted OVER in 2 years now has a $70K pension and retired at 60. He couldnt balance a checkbook and was moved from job to job because of his ineptness.
    Does he spend 3/4's of his working day posting online about how hard he works like you do?

Jets Insider VIP
    Does he spend 3/4's of his working day posting online about how hard he works like you do?
    I don't think he knows how to turn on a PC and I work for myself.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    I don't think he knows how to turn on a PC and I work for myself.
    Lol.

You're as full of crap as I am.

Sent from my Double-Wide using Semaphore...

Jets Insider VIP
    Lol.

You're as full of crap as I am.

Sent from my Double-Wide using Semaphore...
    No one is as full of $hit as you are....