Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Buffalo News: Bills prepare for Wildcat package

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    FWIW, you weren't one of the posters I was referring to. It just amazes me that for all the nonsense that takes place on this board (WAY more than ever before), we have to argue about the difference between "our" and "your".

You are certainly entitled to your opinion as I am to mine. I have criticized this team too much to be called a pom-pom waver. But I also know enough about the sport and this team to not call our coach/GM "clueless", the team a "disaster", and this season a "lost cause" before it even begins.

If you agree with any of those statements, then yes -- I think you are a detriment to this board. If you simply get offended by a Tebow fan calling himself a Jets fan, then I'll just leave you to your angst . . .
    Fair enough. I agree with much of that.

But I have issues with anyone who is a "temporary" fan of a team I have loyally followed for years and have shed blood and tears over.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I would be more concerned with our team preparing to run Wildcat packages, since it was clear there wasn't cohesion on the main offense in preseason.

It's not like the wildcat was added to an offense that our players already knew.

Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    I don't think that the spread option can work in the NFL (it really doesn't even work against the really good college defenses), but if anyone wanted to try it, they would have to hire Meyer in order to have the best possible chance.

Chip Kelly wouldn't be able to run his hyper-speed version of the spread option because NFL are too big to be able to maintain that pace. Linemen that are small enough to run it would be physically overpowered more often than not.

The biggest problem with the spread option is that it requires to quarterback to get hit several hundred times per year. That means your starting quarterback is going to be injured way more often than the average QB and he's going to have a shorter career. There's too much money invested in QBs for front offices to be OK with that.
    If it didn't really work against good college defenses, why would teams still be using it ? As with any offense, defenses adjust, then offenses add new wrinkles.

WRT Chip Kelley's system, his lineman are in the range of what NFL teams who use ZBS field, aren't they ? Linemen from about 290 to 320 ?

As for the QB getting hit, couple of different points to be made. If you have a big guy like Cam or Tebow, this is much less of an issue. Additionally, if teams go to Spread offenses like this, there are a lot more QBs who can make the transition to the NFL. Increased supply pipeline generally acts to lower the cost.

I hope it's an experiment that will play out in the NFL. Perhaps some desperate or brave, forward thinking coach will go further down this route and we'll see what happens. Already, it seems that more Spread QBs are being brought in than ever before and more and more coaches are using these guys as dual threat weapons. Carolina certainly wasn't shy about Cam running. The 49'ers had Kaepernick running read/option in the preseason. Hell, I'll wager that we'll even see RG3 running the ball, and he's in a Shanahan offense

BTW, I'll add this disclaimer that I'm not looking for the Nebraska or Texas Option of the 70's and 80's, where they run the ball 90% of the time, and the QB gets 30 carries per game. But rather, a much more balanced run/pass ratio where the QB carries the ball enough to remain a threat and forces the defense to account for him.

Practice Squad
    Oswego County, Upstate NY, USA with my wife and family.
    Why are Jets fans bashing other Jets fans? Especially new Jets fans? Who cares if he came aboard because of Tebow, what matters is that he is a knowledgable football fan talking about football plays, and here people are bashing him for being a NEW Jet fan. You do know that a growing fanbase is a GOOD thing, correct? I've been a Jet fan for over 30 years, and if a player brings aboard new KNOWLEDGEABLE fans, I welcome them.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisChrusher#40 View Post
    Why are Jets fans bashing other Jets fans? Especially new Jets fans? Who cares if he came aboard because of Tebow, what matters is that he is a knowledgable football fan talking about football plays, and here people are bashing him for being a NEW Jet fan. You do know that a growing fanbase is a GOOD thing, correct? I've been a Jet fan for over 30 years, and if a player brings aboard new KNOWLEDGEABLE fans, I welcome them.
    Because he's not a Jets fan at all. He only cares about Tebow and will no longer be a "fan" of our team when he's traded away. You do know he was a Broncos "fan" before Tebow got traded here, right?

It has nothing to do with being an old Jets fan or a new Jets fan. It has to do with him not being a Jets fan at all.