Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pouha in danger of missing week 1

Practice Squad

Pouha in danger of missing week 1

per rotoworld

Jets NT Sione Pouha (lower back) is in danger of missing Week 1 against the Bills.
    A normally optimistic Rex Ryan stated Monday he's "not real sure" whether Pouha will be active. While backup Kenrick Ellis flashed some penetrating ability in preseason games, the loss of Pouha would give Fred Jackson a matchup boost and soften the Jets' run defense. Pouha is an immovable object on the nose.

Jets Insider VIP
    And just, what, a day ago Rex said he expects everyone but Eric Smith to play.

Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini

Ryan uncertain about Po'hua's status for opener. Sounds like he won't play. Expects Keller to play, but not 100 pct certain. #Jets

We are still 6 days away from the Buffalo game. Lets wait until this weekend before we start to panic. I think Pouha will return for the game like Rex claimed.

Veteran
    i'll be honest, i don't think the defense misses him. with the emergence of Ellis and now Harrison, i think we made a mistake paying up for pouha.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by heymangold View Post
    i'll be honest, i don't think the defense misses him. with the emergence of Ellis and now Harrison, i think we made a mistake paying up for pouha.
    I don't get why so many people seem to be in such a hurry to write off Pouha. Ellis and Harrison both looked good in limited snaps in the preseason, but neither of them ha done anything of substance in an actual NFL game. Compare that with Pouha, who has been nothing short of awesome at what he does for the last 3 years. There's no way the defense doesn't miss him.

Quote Originally Posted by njherdfan View Post
    I don't get why so many people seem to be in such a hurry to write off Pouha. Ellis and Harrison both looked good in limited snaps in the preseason, but neither of them ha done anything of substance in an actual NFL game. Compare that with Pouha, who has been nothing short of awesome at what he does for the last 3 years. There's no way the defense doesn't miss him.
    Completely agree! He's been such an asset to the team.

Succesful players have to start somewhere. Ellis is one of those guys that I can be an optimistic homer about and say "he's ready, he will emerge."

Ellis is the real deal. Unlike the Patrick Turners and Bilal Powells of the world who don't look good even in preseason and camp and have never shown any actual reason to be optimistic yet Jets fans think you're the anti-Christ for wanting to upgrade.

Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini

One thing to remember about Po'hua/NT position for Bills game: Probably won't get much PT because will be in nickel + dime vs. Buf spread.

All Pro
    Same could of been said about Pouha (late bloomer) when Jenkins went down., we don't know what we have in Ellis and Harrison untill they get there shot... Me personally I'm not writing off Pouha cause he is still solid but I think the writing is on the wall for him at age 33. I wouldnt be surprised if he wasn't back next year.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfansocal View Post
    Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini

One thing to remember about Po'hua/NT position for Bills game: Probably won't get much PT because will be in nickel + dime vs. Buf spread.
    This is a good point. I'd like to have Pouha but he won't end up being an integral part of the gameplan this Sunday. I feel comfortable with throwing Ellis out there, he's won me over this preseason.

I was suspecting that Pouha might not be healthy. Thus the additions of two big DT's to the roster, in Harrison and Isaako Aaitui.

Pouha's experience and disruptive presence on the DL...should not be taken lightly. Just his run stuffing talents alone...is a valued comfort zone...that allows the less experienced young studs, the freedom to play more aggressively.

I also hope that DeVito's calf injury has sufficiently healed...so that he can play as many snaps as needed.

Quality veterans like Pouha and DeVito, combined with a talented group of young players(MO-Coples-Kenrick-Etc) is what makes this a dangerous DL.

In a grueling 16 game season...you need all these players healthy and contributing.

+1. Ellis and Harrison have looked good, but Pouha is battle tested. I'd feel much more comfortable with a healthy Pouha in there, with the young guys rotating in.

I wouldn't rush Him back. Let him rest the back another week. Ellis will be fine in there.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Succesful players have to start somewhere. Ellis is one of those guys that I can be an optimistic homer about and say "he's ready, he will emerge."

Ellis is the real deal. Unlike the Patrick Turners and Bilal Powells of the world who don't look good even in preseason and camp and have never shown any actual reason to be optimistic yet Jets fans think you're the anti-Christ for wanting to upgrade.
    No one is higher on Ellis than I am, but I also think he'll be a lot better playing fewer snaps, at least to start. And, even though I do think Ellis will be very good, I don't understand why everyone seems to think that we won't miss Pouha if he doesn't play. Pouha and Ellis should compliment each other, and they'll both be better when the other is there as well.

You have to wonder if the FO knew the injury was more serious than led on, and that impacted Harrison making the squad and the NT waiver pickup from Miami. I was suprised about Harrison and even more surprised with the waiver guy given DT is a position of depth.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfansocal View Post
    Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini

Ryan uncertain about Po'hua's status for opener. Sounds like he won't play. Expects Keller to play, but not 100 pct certain. #Jets
    Again, it explains claiming Aaitui and waiving Dixon

Jets Insider VIP
    My concern is with Pouha's back. It usually does not take this long to heal if its only muscular. I fear its more of a disc problem and that he could need some type of procedure performed.

I think Ellis will do well but will need to be spelled quite a bit! Thus Harrison is on the roster and we got another NT in the mini-draft.

Things just do not add up as far as I am concerned with Pouha's back problems. He's been MIA for over a month with seemingly no end in sight!

I hope that I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by suprjet View Post
    You have to wonder if the FO knew the injury was more serious than led on, and that impacted Harrison making the squad and the NT waiver pickup from Miami. I was suprised about Harrison and even more surprised with the waiver guy given DT is a position of depth.
    JMO-without a doubt

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Again, it explains claiming Aaitui and waiving Dixon
    I have the same feeling about McKnight, explaining Gates. Maybe Tanny isn't an idiot after all.