Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pouha in danger of missing week 1

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    I have the same feeling about McKnight, explaining Gates. Maybe Tanny isn't an idiot after all.
    Good point!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by njherdfan View Post
    I don't get why so many people seem to be in such a hurry to write off Pouha. Ellis and Harrison both looked good in limited snaps in the preseason, but neither of them ha done anything of substance in an actual NFL game. Compare that with Pouha, who has been nothing short of awesome at what he does for the last 3 years. There's no way the defense doesn't miss him.
    And lets not forget that the Jets defense is going to be a base 4-3 alignment. They'll likely utilize BOTH Pouha and Ellis at the same time. The Jets need both of those guys not only to provide two strings of NT's but also to be utilized in their new base 4-3 and hybrid looks.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by njherdfan View Post
    I don't get why so many people seem to be in such a hurry to write off Pouha. Ellis and Harrison both looked good in limited snaps in the preseason, but neither of them ha done anything of substance in an actual NFL game. Compare that with Pouha, who has been nothing short of awesome at what he does for the last 3 years. There's no way the defense doesn't miss him.
    Amen bro. Having Pouha out there gives Ellis and Harrison a manageable workload and should really soften up the OL throughout the game. Pouha is a proven commodity and elite NT. Jets fans can be very spoilt. Remember when we had D-Rob...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kimberley A. Martin ‏@KMart_LI

Sione said he's actually ahead of where he should be. Said he almost practiced fully today and expects to be ready for Sun

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Post Thanks / Like
    Sione is a blueblood NY jet & one of my favorite players to watch on D when he's out there. Don't forget he was drafted at 26 years old & still has plenty of playtime ahead. I'm guessing he'll be a game day call & an unpleasant surprise for Buffalo's offense.

Heal up quick Big Kahuna, you are needed on the field this Sunday. (-;

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN
    DL Mike DeVito (calf) says he practiced on a limited basis today and expects to play vs Bills on Sunday

Dennis Waszak Jr. ‏@DWAZ73
    Mike DeVito says this is "the best defense I've ever been a part of" and says "we plan to be the best."

Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz
    David Harris said he did not practice today (ankle) but will be fine for Sunday

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dennis Waszak Jr. ‏@DWAZ73
    @_StephenHill_ said preseason focus on not scoring was "strange," but adds "the games start this weekend & we're looking to put on a show"

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz
    No sign of Dustin Keller in the locker room. Have not seen him since he injured his hamstring. #nyj

Jets RapidReports ‏@CBSSportsNFLNYJ
    Joe McKnight (hamstring) did not practice today, but said he will play on Sunday. Said he expects to start practicing on Wednesday.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who is this pahoowah of which you speak my child? Blessed are the anointed for they shall walk thy sidelines as caged animal.
    Last edited by TechJet; 09-03-2012 at 08:52 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Amen bro. Having Pouha out there gives Ellis and Harrison a manageable workload and should really soften up the OL throughout the game. Pouha is a proven commodity and elite NT. Jets fans can be very spoilt. Remember when we had D-Rob...
    Pouha is so far from elite is not funny. Pouha is a jag, never makes disruptive plays, but does his job of not getting driven back that much. He's a starting nt in a 4-3 but just an average one.

Show me one play where pouha makes you say wow. There aren't any. Jenkins would make 2-3 of those a game.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Amen to that.

People forget that Bradway got roasted for spending a third rounder on Pouha out of Utah in the 2005 draft (where he played for Urban Meyer). Overaged (Mormon mission), underacheiver, etc. Well, how many guys from that draft are still productive starters in the NFL? Pouha is homegrown, plays under a decent contract, and is a solid citizen. Anybody who says we should cut him doesn't understand the value of guys like Sione Pouha.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by regen View Post
    Amen to that.

People forget that Bradway got roasted for spending a third rounder on Pouha out of Utah in the 2005 draft (where he played for Urban Meyer). Overaged (Mormon mission), underacheiver, etc. Well, how many guys from that draft are still productive starters in the NFL? Pouha is homegrown, plays under a decent contract, and is a solid citizen. Anybody who says we should cut him doesn't understand the value of guys like Sione Pouha.
    +1

TB got roasted on here for picking a 26 yr old..Like Tanny was for picking a 24 yr old RB (Greene)...

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sexi Rexi View Post
    per rotoworld

Jets NT Sione Pouha (lower back) is in danger of missing Week 1 against the Bills.
    A normally optimistic Rex Ryan stated Monday he's "not real sure" whether Pouha will be active. While backup Kenrick Ellis flashed some penetrating ability in preseason games, the loss of Pouha would give Fred Jackson a matchup boost and soften the Jets' run defense. Pouha is an immovable object on the nose.
    MATCHUP BOOST? We'll just have to see what Mike Devito has to say in response to that!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfansocal View Post
    Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini

Ryan uncertain about Po'hua's status for opener. Sounds like he won't play. Expects Keller to play, but not 100 pct certain. #Jets
    I like Po'uha, but he's starting to bang out sick as much as Kris Jenkin's did. Not really, I'm exaggerating but..get your butt out there!

How is it that some nose tackles can't stay healthy but others (like that damn Wilfork) can?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    Pouha is so far from elite is not funny. Pouha is a jag, never makes disruptive plays, but does his job of not getting driven back that much. He's a starting nt in a 4-3 but just an average one.

Show me one play where pouha makes you say wow. There aren't any. Jenkins would make 2-3 of those a game.
    Those Nose tackles that cannot be moved with a double team are pretty hard to find. I don't know if there's more than 5 on the planet. Good thing we have a couple of new young Planet people to keep this run defense going into the future. They still need some experience though, so we could really use Pouha out there. He's got green blood though not blue. Sorry Limo.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Actually Sione is ELITE. Wether our base alignment is 4-3 or 3-4, Ellis, Devito and Pouha are only in there to STUFF THE RUN. And they all do it well.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's o.k, because this is where K.Ellis emerges onto the scene. Pouha replaced Jenkins without our defense missing a step, and I believe our defense can do the same around a younger (and hopefully stronger) Ellis. Hopefully our coaching staff doesn't rush Pouha back from injury, we'll need him during the big picture. Just the thought of Coples, Ellis and Wilkerson anchoring our defensive line for many of years to come, is a good one.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd actually rather have the young guns play for a game or two so Pouha can recover 100 %. Besides we could see what we might have in the future.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFlyingHigh View Post
    That's o.k, because this is where K.Ellis emerges onto the scene. Pouha replaced Jenkins without our defense missing a step, and I believe our defense can do the same around a younger (and hopefully stronger) Ellis. Hopefully our coaching staff doesn't rush Pouha back from injury, we'll need him during the big picture. Just the thought of Coples, Ellis and Wilkerson anchoring our defensive line for many of years to come, is a good one.
    Come on now. Sione did a great job of stepping into the job once Kris Jenkins got injured but to say the defense did not misss a step is not really accurate. Jenkins when healthy could, and often did rag-doll opposing offensive linemen. Consequently he spent a great deal of time in opponent's offensive backfields before his injuries got the better of him. Kris Jenkins was a once in a decade talent and Sione, while he has been outstanding in a run stuffing role has never had that kind of a disruptive effect on other teams.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    +1

TB got roasted on here for picking a 26 yr old..Like Tanny was for picking a 24 yr old RB (Greene)...

And some criticized for not being able to get 25 year old Bruce Irvin (OLDER than Aaron Maybin)