Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: If you read Rex's quote about Stephen Hill and keep in mind it's Rex, you can tell...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

If you read Rex's quote about Stephen Hill and keep in mind it's Rex, you can tell...

...he's kidding. I hadn't actually read the quote. But since there's no audio everyone assumed he was serious.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGKIDD325 View Post
    ...he's kidding. I hadn't actually read the quote. But since there's no audio everyone assumed he was serious.
    Direct from the article:

In training camp, when I asked him how he knew rookie second-round receiver Stephen Hill was ready to contribute early, Ryan gave me a very honest, but curious answer.

"Well, nothing told me he would (contribute),'' Ryan said. "Nothing. When I saw the tape (of his collegiate play) I was concerned. But (Jets general manager) Mike Tannenbaum and (senior personnel executive) Terry Bradway and all our scouts were adamant about this guy. They were adamant that this guy can do it. He can run all these routes, he had good hands and he's got 4.2 speed at 6-foot-5. He was the guy they all wanted, but honestly, when it came down to it, a wideout? Not my dream pick. But now that we have him, of course, I want to claim him: 'Oh, that was my pick.' But it really wasn't.''

While Ryan was clearly speaking tongue-in-cheek, and giving Tannenbaum and Bradway credit for the pick, I wonder what the Jets coach thinks of his rookie receiver now?
    Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz25Rt1D2Dp

It was a self-deprecating comment giving the credit to others.