Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: My hope for the 1st half of the season

  1. #1
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    7,594

    My hope for the 1st half of the season

    Everyone knows we have a little bit of a rough schedule to start the season, and everyone is predicting our demise, we start 1-4, Tebow will be named the starter, etc. However we may not see that demise as planned by ESPN, and other media jerkoffs, and here's why:

    No tape on Austin Howard: Remember when Hunter played well down the stretch when he had to come in for Woody in the 2010 playoffs? Part of it was because there was limited tape on him to game plan for his weaknesses. Maybe Austin Howard can benefit from this as well. That coupled with giving him TE and chip block help, our OL may do just fine.

    No tape on the Tebow Package: Now before we all go ahead and say "but everyone knows what the wildcat is" and blah blah blah, I think Sporano has tricks up his sleeve for this wildcat 2.0. I think we will see Sanchez and Tebow on the field at the same time and being a part of the play (in the Brad Smith wildcat, Sanchez was just dead weight on the field), and I also think Tebow will be lined up in different spots. That explains why Sanchez has hinted him and Tebow will be on the field at the same time, his confidence that "everything will be fine", and The whole org taking the NE approach and being so tightlipped about it. If Sporano can get creative, Teams will be baffled and there will be little tape to game plan for whatever this wildcat 2.0 looks like.

    There's my hope for the 1st half of the season. If teams catch on in the 2nd half, our schedule lightens up a ton, and we can probably beat those teams with our D alone

  2. #2
    cool story, bro

  3. #3
    I think you have to tune out the Media - that is clearly getting strong ratings by bashing the Jets...Seems people really enjoy the Jets Suck agenda.

    But the reality is this a very good football team that's going to have a dominant Defense (which I do believe will be the best under Rex) and an offense that, in my opinion, will be at worst better than last year. Better RT, more speed on the outside, a QB with another year under his belt who has looked pretty good in pre-season, upgrade at OC and I believe Tebow will help. What has the offense lost? a slow, old WR that still doesn't have a job?

    8 & 8 last year - but with all of these upgrade I'm predicting an 11 win season.

  4. #4
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Cape Coral, FL
    Posts
    1,071
    My hope is we weather the storm and end up atleast 3-5, 4-4. My fear is if we lose to Buffalo and this place is insufferable for the following few weeks.

  5. #5
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    7,594
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigFL View Post
    My hope is we weather the storm and end up atleast 3-5, 4-4. My fear is if we lose to Buffalo and this place is insufferable for the following few weeks.
    Oh the inmates will def run the asylum if we lose to Buffalo, but according to my theory, Buffalo won't know what hit them as they will be the first victims of the "Wildcat 2.0"

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    No tape on the Tebow Package: Now before we all go ahead and say "but everyone knows what the wildcat is" and blah blah blah, I think Sporano has tricks up his sleeve for this wildcat 2.0. I think we will see Sanchez and Tebow on the field at the same time and being a part of the play (in the Brad Smith wildcat, Sanchez was just dead weight on the field), and I also think Tebow will be lined up in different spots. That explains why Sanchez has hinted him and Tebow will be on the field at the same time, his confidence that "everything will be fine", and The whole org taking the NE approach and being so tightlipped about it. If Sporano can get creative, Teams will be baffled and there will be little tape to game plan for whatever this wildcat 2.0 looks like.
    That's basically the defininition of the wildcat. The QB and the player running the wildcat are on the field at the same time. The QB lines up as a WR (thus negating the "extra blocker" argument that people who don't understand football often make whan supporting the wildcat). That prevents defenses from being able to substitute when they see the "wildcat" player enter the game. If the defense can have their wildcat personnel package sitting on the sideline waiting for Tebow, or whoever you have running the wildcat package, to come in - they can easily substitute to offset it. That's why a RB or WR typically runs the wildcat. The Dolphins and Jets ran the wildcat with some success because Ronnie Brown and Brad Smith were on the field anyway, and they lined up against the other teams base defense.

    If the wildcat is to be effective with Tebow running it, then Tebow and Sanchez are going to have to be on the field together quite often in "non-wildcat" situations. Otherwise, alarms will go off and the defense will simply substitute their own wildcat package every time they see Tebow come on the field.

  7. #7
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    9,021
    We need to beat the Bills week 1 and the dolphins week 3. Then we have some wiggle room to lose some games against Pitt, NE, SF, Houston.

    If we do not beat both the fins and Bills in the 1st 3 weeks, it is going to be a long season.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigFL View Post
    My hope is we weather the storm and end up atleast 3-5, 4-4. My fear is if we lose to Buffalo and this place is insufferable for the following few weeks.
    I honestly think we can be 4-2 going into the NE game.

    Pitts is a very strong team offensively with wallace, brown and Ben, but other then that, their Oline is very shaky and their defense is without casey hampton and is getting up there in age. Plus they will be without mendenhall for that game.

    If there was ever a good time to be playing Pitts, this would be it...

  9. #9
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ
    Posts
    20,115
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post

    I think Sporano has tricks up his sleeve for this wildcat 2.0.
    That's what I want from my NFL team.

    "Tricks" up the OC's sleeve.

    Geebus.

    Is it too much to ask that we run an NFL offense?

    _

  10. #10
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    7,594
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Crable View Post
    That's basically the defininition of the wildcat. The QB and the player running the wildcat are on the field at the same time. The QB lines up as a WR (thus negating the "extra blocker" argument that people who don't understand football often make whan supporting the wildcat). That prevents defenses from being able to substitute when they see the "wildcat" player enter the game. If the defense can have their wildcat personnel package sitting on the sideline waiting for Tebow, or whoever you have running the wildcat package, to come in - they can easily substitute to offset it. That's why a RB or WR typically runs the wildcat. The Dolphins and Jets ran the wildcat with some success because Ronnie Brown and Brad Smith were on the field anyway, and they lined up against the other teams base defense.

    If the wildcat is to be effective with Tebow running it, then Tebow and Sanchez are going to have to be on the field together quite often in "non-wildcat" situations. Otherwise, alarms will go off and the defense will simply substitute their own wildcat package every time they see Tebow come on the field.
    That's similar to what I was trying to say "Sanchez and Tebow both having active roles in the play" If you line Tebow in multiple spots on the field, how will you know it's a wildcat play or not?

  11. #11
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    7,594
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    That's what I want from my NFL team.

    "Tricks" up the OC's sleeve.

    Geebus.

    Is it too much to ask that we run an NFL offense?

    _
    Im with you, but it is what it is brother. The writing was on the wall when the trade for Tebow was made.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    That's what I want from my NFL team.

    "Tricks" up the OC's sleeve.

    Geebus.

    Is it too much to ask that we run an NFL offense?

    _
    LOL...it is funny that people think we're going to somehow "trick" NFL defenses, and that's our plan for success.

    If we're going to be successful with the "wildcat" or any other offense, we're going to have to be able to line up and say; "We know that you know we're going to run this play, but we don't care because there is nothing you can do to stop it."

    Everyone knows that the Patriots are going to spread out the defense, use their wide-outs to occupy your CBs, and then either run or throw a short pass to a TE or a slot receiver 90% of the time. I know that, you know that, Rex Ryan knows that. The Patriots don't care, they know very few teams are going to be able to stop it. There is no trickery involved.

    But, yeah...NFL defenses are going to be befuddled when they see Tim Tebow run off the sideline...they're going to have no idea what's coming.

  13. #13
    My big hope is this.

    That the jets successfully go deep for big plays or scores at least 4 to 5 times in the 1st 8 games. The whole strategy for this team is going to be determined by that if you ask me. If the jets can do this teams cannot crowd the line to stop the running game, cannot jump all over our short passing game and actually be vulnerable to the Tebow package.

    If we show that we cannot go deep and make some big plays early on this team will fail epically hard on offense.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    That's what I want from my NFL team.

    "Tricks" up the OC's sleeve.

    Geebus.

    Is it too much to ask that we run an NFL offense?

    _
    +1

    Sorry if I don't get excited about the Tebow package, but if that's going to be a difference maker for this team then there isn't much to get excited about beyond praying for the 6th seed and an early exit from the postseason.

    I was happy with the way Sanchez played this preseason and this team's best chance is with the ball in his hands.

    3rd & 3 or inside the 10 can be Tebow time.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    That's similar to what I was trying to say "Sanchez and Tebow both having active roles in the play" If you line Tebow in multiple spots on the field, how will you know it's a wildcat play or not?
    Yes, I was just making the point that if it is going to be successful, then Tebow is going to need to be in there on "non-wildcat" plays as well...and quite often if he is going to be an effective decoy.

    And, seeing as how he has never played a position other than QB...EVER, not in college, not in high school (to my knowledge)...it just seems to me that he's not going to really be an effective decoy in non-wildcat situations. And, if you were going to use him in that role, you'd think you might want to try it once or twice in a preseason game.

    Frankly, this has disaster written all over it.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    +1

    Sorry if I don't get excited about the Tebow package, but if that's going to be a difference maker for this team then there isn't much to get excited about beyond praying for the 6th seed and an early exit from the postseason.

    I was happy with the way Sanchez played this preseason and this team's best chance is with the ball in his hands.

    3rd & 3 or inside the 10 can be Tebow time.
    Sanchez has been a pretty effective runner in those situations in the past. He has a lot of career rushing TDs for a guy who's only played three years.

  17. #17
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ
    Posts
    20,115
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Crable View Post
    LOL...it is funny that people think we're going to somehow "trick" NFL defenses, and that's our plan for success.
    Tricks are "tricks" once in a blue moon.

    If you pull a prank on someone, it works the first time. And a second. MAYBE a third time.

    Trotting out "tricks" 5 times (or more) a game cease to become "tricks".

    It's the NFL with real NFL defensive coordinators. By week 3 everyone will have tape, then what are we hoping for for the rest of the season?

    That Sparano has 80 different "tricks" up his sleeve?

    How about we figure out THIS year if Sanchez is the man, and if not, we move on?

    _

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    We need to beat the Bills week 1 and the dolphins week 3. Then we have some wiggle room to lose some games against Pitt, NE, SF, Houston.

    If we do not beat both the fins and Bills in the 1st 3 weeks, it is going to be a long season.
    I agree with this.

    I see the pivotal point of this season being week 5 against Houston. If we can go in that game 2-2, and 2-0 in the division, I think we're in decent shape - even if we lose that game.

    If we go in 1-3, or God forbid 0-4, I can see the perfect storm of media pressure, fan pressure, lockerroom dysfunction, and coaching incompetence coming together to sink the Jets like the Andrea Gail.

  19. #19
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Cape Coral, FL
    Posts
    1,071
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    Tricks are "tricks" once in a blue moon.

    If you pull a prank on someone, it works the first time. And a second. MAYBE a third time.

    Trotting out "tricks" 5 times (or more) a game cease to become "tricks".

    It's the NFL with real NFL defensive coordinators. By week 3 everyone will have tape, then what are we hoping for for the rest of the season?

    That Sparano has 80 different "tricks" up his sleeve?

    How about we figure out THIS year if Sanchez is the man, and if not, we move on?

    _
    Come on Stokes, there are tons of trick plays in the NFL. They're just designed from a base offense to "trick" or catch the opponent off-guard, or unaware. End arounds, double reverses, screen plays, play action, flea flickers, draw plays, etc... Every team incorporates any number of these plays to try to fool the defense, that's the O's job. Even the teams that can line up man on man still use the art of deception, because it makes it easier to beat you man on man.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigFL View Post
    Come on Stokes, there are tons of trick plays in the NFL. They're just designed from a base offense to "trick" or catch the opponent off-guard, or unaware. End arounds, double reverses, screen plays, play action, flea flickers, draw plays, etc... Every team incorporates any number of these plays to try to fool the defense, that's the O's job. Even the teams that can line up man on man still use the art of deception, because it makes it easier to beat you man on man.
    I've never understood why...being a New York team...we don't run the Statue of Liberty play more often.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us