Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My hope for the 1st half of the season

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Crable View Post
    I've never understood why...being a New York team...we don't run the Statue of Liberty play more often.
    lol, don't be surprised if you see it this year, The ultra-secret, special sparano strategy.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's the difference complainers.
    Like Bill Polian stated on Sirius NFL radio, Tebow brings a unique style to the wildcat ect.
    He's 6-3, 250Lbs, runs as fast as a linebacker & is very, very difficult to stop in short yardage situations.
    Inside the 10 he's deadly running the ball. People keep bringing up his terrible "red zone" numbers, well the redzone starts inside the 20.
    Guys like Parcells & Polian are talking about short yardage & goal line situations.

It's like u guys forget that game in Denver. Was he a good QB in that game? Absolutely not!
    Was he a MAJOR pain in the butt in short yardage plays? You bet your azz!
    Especially when the defense tired.
    Face it, the Jets will be in a lot of tight games this year, it's Rex MO, just like Parcells teams played in many low scoring tight games.
    Converting short yardage is one of the most important aspects of Pro Football.
    Some people look at this as Tebow taking snaps from Sanchez, I look at this as Tebow hopefully giving Mark MORE SNAPS by converting these 3rd downs, giving our offense a chance to get into some kind of rhythm that we NEVER had last year.

Plus, as the punt protector, he allows our gunners a better chance to down the ball or make a tackle deep in the opponents half of the field because they can't sneak off of the line of scrimmage, which many teams do.

Everything in the NFL has a cause & effect.
    For our defense each converted 3rd down is another rest, & a change in field position.
    For the O each conversion is another chance for Sanchez to make a play downfield.

Short yardage conversions are devastating to defenses, similar to chasing the QB, only to have him run for a 1st down.
    As Jet fans you know this is true everytime the D is unable to stop a 3rd & 2, or the QB is running away from the D for a 1st down ala Big Ben in the AFCCG.
    COME ON! is a phrase that comes to mind seeing a converted 3rd down by an opponent.
    The Bills, like a lot of teams in this new NFL are very thin on their Dline. Making them play 6-10 extra snaps on each drive bodes well for the Jets in the 4th quarter.

Slow down that pass rush & let Mark get comfortable is the plan. I like the theory, lets hope that it's successful.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Like Bill Polian stated on Sirius NFL radio, Tebow brings a unique style to the wildcat ect.
    He's 6-3, 250Lbs, runs as fast as a linebacker & is very, very difficult to stop in short yardage situations.
    Inside the 10 he's deadly running the ball. People keep bringing up his terrible "red zone" numbers, well the redzone starts inside the 20.
    Guys like Parcells & Polian are talking about short yardage & goal line situations.

It's like u guys forget that game in Denver. Was he a good QB in that game? Absolutely not!
    Face it, the Jets will be in a lot of tight games this year, it's Rex MO, just like Parcells teams played in many low scoring tight games.
    Some people look at this as Tebow taking snaps from Sanchez, I look at this as Tebow hopefully giving Mark MORE SNAPS by converting these 3rd downs, giving our offense a chance to get into some kind of rhythm that we NEVER had last year.

Plus, as the punt protector, he allows our gunners a better chance to down the ball or make a tackle deep in the opponents half of the field because they can't sneak off of the line of scrimmage, which many teams do.

For our defense each converted 3rd down is another rest, & a change in field position.
    For the O each conversion is another chance for Sanchez to make a play downfield.

Short yardage conversions are devastating to defenses, similar to chasing the QB, only to have him run for a 1st down.
    As Jet fans you know this is true everytime the D is unable to stop a 3rd & 2, or the QB is running away from the D for a 1st down ala Big Ben in the AFCCG.
    COME ON! is a phrase that comes to mind seeing a converted 3rd down by an opponent.
    The Bills, like a lot of teams in this new NFL are very thin on their Dline. Making them play 6-10 extra snaps on each drive bodes well for the Jets in the 4th quarter.

Slow down that pass rush & let Mark get comfortable is the plan. I like the theory, lets hope that it's successful.
    It's one thing for a QB to run (scramble) out of a passing play in the red zone. It's a total different thing to run a running play out of the "wildcat" formation.

Tebow is an effective scrambler because he is very good at breaking initial containment. When a team rushes the passer, be it with 4, 5 or even 6 pass rushers, the other players drop off the line of scrimmage into pass protection. Thus, if Tebow, or Vick, or Sanchez, can elude the initial rush, they have 10-15 open yards of space between them and the next defender.

Much different story when you line up in a "wildcat" formation, which is essentially a running play, and all 11 guys on defense know you're running the ball.

Unless Tebow can throw the ball, the Jets "wildcat" is going to be ineffective. And, thusfar, he has shown no propensity to throw the ball.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post

Just to be clear, I'm not complaining, I'm actually quite excited to see what this brings to the table. It worked well in 09 and 10, and I doubt Tebow will be less of a threat than B. Smith. I agree with all of the above, especially the bolded part. I think the optimist look to the first half of the sentence, and pessimists are trepidatious until the second half is answered.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    That's what I want from my NFL team.

"Tricks" up the OC's sleeve.

Geebus.

Is it too much to ask that we run an NFL offense?
    _
    I golf and when I shot a 70 no one ever asked me how I did it. As long as we are winning games with it I really do not care what the offense is. I have been supporting this team and their NFL whatever since 1969. I want to ****ing win and I really do not care how they do it, just not like the cheatriots.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Crable View Post
    It's one thing for a QB to run (scramble) out of a passing play in the red zone. It's a total different thing to run a running play out of the "wildcat" formation.

Tebow is an effective scrambler because he is very good at breaking initial containment. When a team rushes the passer, be it with 4, 5 or even 6 pass rushers, the other players drop off the line of scrimmage into pass protection. Thus, if Tebow, or Vick, or Sanchez, can elude the initial rush, they have 10-15 open yards of space between them and the next defender.

Much different story when you line up in a "wildcat" formation, which is essentially a running play, and all 11 guys on defense know you're running the ball.

Unless Tebow can throw the ball, the Jets "wildcat" is going to be ineffective. And, thusfar, he has shown no propensity to throw the ball.
    What games were u watching last year? Seriously, I'm not calling u out or anything but Tebow seemed to score a lot inside the 10 yard line last year.
    In the 1st Pats game in Denver, he ran right through them in the 1st quarter to score.
    After that they just never got close to the 10 yard line.

As an opposing fan, I would not be "at ease" with Tebow coming in with the ball on the 5 yard line with basically "4" downs!
    Rex will be taking some chances this year when we are goal line or inside the opponents 40 yard line.
    Tebow gives you that chance because it gives you an extra blocker. That's why the Smith signing will also help. I actually like him as an extra blocking TE than Hunter.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I look at the season in quarters, that said I would be happy with 2-2 with the loses being competitive. Games 5-8 may be telling for the rest of the season. I think this team is a work in progress so if they could keep there heads above water it could save there season..