Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

Thread: Current Estimated Cap Space: $4,682,002

  1. #1
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    483
    Post Thanks / Like

    Current Estimated Cap Space: $4,682,002

    ???
    Why be under?
    To save $$$?
    To be prepared for trades???

  2. #2
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Cape Cod, MA
    Posts
    3,331
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thought it was 8.1?

  3. #3
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    24
    Post Thanks / Like
    They can shift any cap savings from this year to 2013, may help with locking up Revis, Keller, whomever.

  4. #4
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    483
    Post Thanks / Like

  5. #5
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,588
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets are 8.1 million under the cap


    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-in-cap-space/

  6. #6
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    483
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetFuel View Post
    Great. Thanks.
    So why all the space? I don't get it.

  7. #7
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    7,949
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flymax View Post
    Great. Thanks.
    So why all the space? I don't get it.
    To carry over to 2013...

  8. #8
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,166
    Post Thanks / Like
    They can carry over the space until next year.

    One other important thing that got little mention in the media or here (instead most fans/media discussed tebows shoe size) was that the trade deadline was pushed from after week 6 until after week 8.

    This should take the chances of "deadline deals" from 1% in years past to 10%. I dont think we wil see "firesale" type situations like in baseball, but those 2 weeks are pretty big for teams to see how far ahead or behind they are.

    One thing maybe someone can answer is...say a team is a "seller" when do they decide how much cap space you can carryover, is that done at the end of the year? I ask because say a team like Detroit who has Avril on his 1 year franchise deal....if they struggle and are 2-6 at the mid point, would they trade him for a draft pick AND get that money carried over to 2013?

    Could present some interesting scenarios.

  9. #9
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Charm City Region
    Posts
    886
    Post Thanks / Like
    1. I trust Jason's numbers more than I do PFT. He tweeted earlier about looking into where they got their numbers from (excluded PS or something of that regard.) Avast!:

    nyjetscap‏@nyjetscap

    Cap from pft does not include final 2 , ir, or practice squad. Teams may have also taken 1.5 million credit. Will try to look into it #jets
    2. Always good to have some funds on hand pending roster upgrades become available. Accounting for (Godforbid) injuries that arise during the course of the season. And as the other gents have suggested, carry over.

  10. #10
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Old Bridge, New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    1,090
    Post Thanks / Like
    We are under for a reason...if there is anything i trust mr t with its cap management.

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

  11. #11
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,553
    Post Thanks / Like
    bean counter shortchanged WR and RT so we could be 4 mil under the cap??????? WTF

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    296
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree that the primary purpose is that they are carrying it over to 2013. That said, they can also use it this year if need be.

    I have a feeling, and it's just that..a feeling, nothing to back it up at this point..that the Jets will be involved in an in-season trade which will add an offensive weapon. Much like they did for Braylon Edwards a few years ago.

    I also think that MJD will be traded before the trade deadline.

    Which is why in the "Make 3 predictions" thread, I wrote that the Jets leading rusher this season is not yet on the roster. (For which I was chastised by some homer and told that I wasn't a "real" Jets fan.)

    Not saying I definitely think it will happen. I'd probably put the odds at less than 50% that MJD actually ends up on the Jets.

    But, I do think something will happen before the trading deadline and the Jets will be players.

  13. #13
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    16,697
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Crable View Post
    I agree that the primary purpose is that they are carrying it over to 2013. That said, they can also use it this year if need be.

    I have a feeling, and it's just that..a feeling, nothing to back it up at this point..that the Jets will be involved in an in-season trade which will add an offensive weapon. Much like they did for Braylon Edwards a few years ago.

    I also think that MJD will be traded before the trade deadline.

    Which is why in the "Make 3 predictions" thread, I wrote that the Jets leading rusher this season is not yet on the roster. (For which I was chastised by some homer and told that I wasn't a "real" Jets fan.)

    Not saying I definitely think it will happen. I'd probably put the odds at less than 50% that MJD actually ends up on the Jets.

    But, I do think something will happen before the trading deadline and the Jets will be players.
    good post.

    the primary purpose, as you said, is to roll over that money to next year when the Jets are setting themselves up to be major buyers.

    but having that cushion also gives us the flexibility to make moves over the next few weeks should the need arise.

  14. #14
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    7,239
    Post Thanks / Like
    Revis money.

    Flexibility for next off season so we can actually address needs.

    As for MJD, only way I see him traded during the season is if Rashad Jennings comes out hot (which seems like a real possibility) and Jones-Drew starts chirping and Shad Khan gets fed up and trades him for a couple of picks.
    Last edited by Bay Ridge Jet; 09-04-2012 at 12:17 PM.

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    6,374
    Post Thanks / Like
    No team ever spends right up to the cap.

    That would be stupid.

  16. #16
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    11,969
    Post Thanks / Like
    The answer why we are so much under the cap is simple.

    Woody Johnson doesn't want to spend it.

  17. #17
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ
    Posts
    20,115
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    No team ever spends right up to the cap.

    That would be stupid.
    Don't you love the outrage?

    Arrrrgggghhhhh--spend it--SPEND IT ALL!!!!!!!

    On whom? The list of FA WRs and RTs wasn't very robust.

    Who cares? SPEND IT ALL!!!!



    _

  18. #18
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,640
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    Don't you love the outrage?

    Arrrrgggghhhhh--spend it--SPEND IT ALL!!!!!!!

    On whom? The list of FA WRs and RTs wasn't very robust.

    Who cares? SPEND IT ALL!!!!



    _
    Correct. And as soon as some veteran free agents start signing after week one, they will be killing Tanny because he had no money left and should have known these players would become available.

  19. #19
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ
    Posts
    20,115
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Correct. And as soon as some veteran free agents start signing after week one, they will be killing Tanny because he had no money left and should have known these players would become available.
    But can't we just go out now and SIGN SOMEBODY?

    ANYBODY?

    _

  20. #20
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,640
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    But can't we just go out now and SIGN SOMEBODY?

    ANYBODY?

    _
    Whats funny is if people are paying attention to the transactions NOBODY is signing vet free agents right now, they are waiting until after week 1 so the contracts are not guaranteed.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us