Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 140

Thread: NYP Cover Today

  1. #101
    Wow, this thread has gone from disrespect of the Jets to Montana is better than Brady...talk about deflection

  2. #102
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,279
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    And the Jets haven't won an outright AFCE title in 14 years.

    What's your point?
    His next point will be the 2010 playoff win. Ignoring the fact that the Pats slayed that dragon with their performance in 2011 and that the Jets failed to build upon it thus relinquishing anything we gained over the Pats with said win.

  3. #103
    This is a bigger slap to all N.Y. football teams; this $hit all over the online sports page:


    http://www.nypost.com/sports

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so1Nh7-aMW0

  4. #104
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop24 View Post


    Hopefully u guys can see it

    the Post has an effed up way of saying it's time to put up ...

  5. #105
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    I never said that they had a solid case or a winnable case. But they have grounds to pursue it if they wish. At least light a little fire. That was my point.

    And satire alone is not a defense if they can prove actual malice. The point that you were mistaken about.

    Malice IS a standard when looking at defamation of a public figure.
    Honestly, Jordy, the only thing that suggests that you MIGHT have gone to law school is your unwillingness to admit that you are wrong here.

    Go back and learn the law (maybe start with Con Law: First Amendment). If you think the NYP cartoon is actionable and you are, in fact, a lawyer, then I pity your clients.

  6. #106
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,640
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhode Island Green View Post
    Honestly, Jordy, the only thing that suggests that you MIGHT have gone to law school is your unwillingness to admit that you are wrong here.

    Go back and learn the law (maybe start with Con Law: First Amendment). If you think the NYP cartoon is actionable and you are, in fact, a lawyer, then I pity your clients.
    What exactly am I wrong about? Tell me please. Show me where I said it was actionable. What I said was, If I were them, I would be on the phone to my attorneys. If they can prove actual malice, yes it could be actionable. Is that easy to do? Of course not. Is it worth looking into? I say yes.

    You said that malice has nothing to do with defamation of a public figure.

    That is the point you originally challenged.

    Are you sticking by that?

    Are you an attorney? If so, you might need a refresher course on defamation principles.

    If I'm wrong about anything I said, I will admit it. You haven't shown me anything yet. Just attacks at me so far.
    Last edited by Jordy; 09-05-2012 at 11:13 AM.

  7. #107
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    His next point will be the 2010 playoff win. Ignoring the fact that the Pats slayed that dragon with their performance in 2011 and that the Jets failed to build upon it thus relinquishing anything we gained over the Pats with said win.
    Jeez dude I'm all for facts and discussion, and like you, I don't mind the Pats fans...but unlike you I'm not so quick to suck them off either. How about being a reasonable Jets fan instead of going out of your way to put us down just so you can show the board that you can think without jets goggles on.

    Hey TX:

    -AFCE crowns are not what NFL teams play for, so congrats on the grand achievement.

    -Saints, Packers, Pats, Steelers, Ravens. These are the only teams with better records than the Jets over Rex's tenure (courtesy of eagle's thread).

    -Other than the Packers, only the Jets have been to their conference title game more than once during Rex's tenure, indicating consistency.

    -The Jets are the only team to feature a top 5 defense including #1 in his first year, in all three years of Rex.

    ***During Rex's time, neither the Jets nor Pats have had losing seasons, but they are tied for wins in the only category that matters: 0.***

    Btw, he did all that with a raw QB, and while playing in the same division as one of the greatest QBs and HCs ever.

    Meanwhile, the Giants are not on any of those lists, and when they were sitting pretty at 7-7 last christmas, this same NY media wanted to fire Coughlin. And then came an amazing 6 game stretch which allowed ignorance like this to run rampant, and have Jets fans like you putting down our team without being even a single game into the season.

    Edit-Disclaimer: This post was not meant to defend JetNut because his act is just as tiresome as yours. But at the very least, he doesn't go out of his way to be negative when there's room for positivity at the start of a new season.
    Last edited by greenwichjetfan; 09-05-2012 at 11:24 AM.

  8. #108

  9. #109
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    What exactly am I wrong about? Tell me please. Show me where I said it was actionable.
    Why, exactly, should they be contacting their attorneys, as you recommend: for tea?

    What I said was, If I were them, I would be on the phone to my attorneys. If they can prove actual malice, yes it could be actionable. ...

    You said that malice has nothing to do with defamation of a public figure. Are you sticking by that?
    I am saying that if no factual assertions are made in a piece, then you can attack a public figure with as much malice as you like, to your heart's content. Again, thank God for that. Because no factual assertions were made in the NYP cartoon = not actionable. See, inter alia, Hustler Magazine v. Falwell.

    No way you went to law school, bud. (Although it doesn't take a law degree to figure this out.)

  10. #110
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    10,826
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwichjetfan View Post
    <Snip>
    ...
    Edit-Disclaimer: This post was not meant to defend JetNut because his act is just as tiresome as yours. But at the very least, he doesn't go out of his way to be negative when there's room for positivity at the start of a new season.
    +1 on the room for positivity here.

    Not sure I agree on Jet Nut. He positive about the team but negative in a pretty nasty way towards everyone who does not share his opinions.

    As to the Post article. Prove them wrong and they will look stupid. Until then, these are all pretty much self inflicted wounds and so whining does not really help here. Just win baby.

  11. #111
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,640
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhode Island Green View Post
    Why, exactly, should they be contacting their attorneys, as you recommend: for tea?

    I am saying that if no factual assertions are made in a piece, then you can attack a public figure with as much malice as you like, to your heart's content. Again, thank God for that. Because no factual assertions were made in the NYP cartoon = not actionable. See, inter alia, Hustler Magazine v. Falwell.

    No way you went to law school, bud. (Although it doesn't take a law degree to figure this out.)
    So this about trying to prove to yourself (and maybe others) that I didn't go to law school? I'm assuming this since you've now brought it up 2 or 3 times.

    Let's talk about you for a moment. So you're saying again that malice has nothing to do with defamation of a public figure? That's what you said in your first post to me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhode Island Green View Post
    Are you serious? In this country you are still allowed (thank God) to publish words and images with malice against public figures. You just can't publish lies. I do not think that the NYP is claiming that Rex, Mark and Tim are ACTUAL clowns, do you? Whether this is good journalism is another matter.

    If they contacted lawyers over that image, then they ARE clowns. Silly comment, Jordy.
    Congratulations, you're wrong and you can stop trying to attack my integrity in an area that I did study. Malice IS a standard in determining defamation of public figures. And are you familiar with "per se" defamation? I doubt it.

    And I never intimated that anyone has a slam dunk case. All I said was that I'd be on the phone. I also conceded that proving it would be difficult. So I don't know where your hard-on for me is coming from, but if you want to continue this, please, by all means.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    They got Tebow's arm angle all wrong.

    Seriously though, Is this real? If so, that's harsh and uncalled for IMO.

    If I were Woody, Rex, Sanchez or Tebow, I would be on the phone with an attorney. There are statutes relating to "commercial disparagement" and of course there are general defamation laws. The fact that they are "celebrities" or "in the public eye" makes it harder to prove but I believe "actual malice" is the standard.

    That's the worst thing I've personally ever seen in that environment.
    You've been here longer than I have and you have now devoted close to 10% of your posts over that time to me in this thread. I'm sensing some pent up frustration that you've been holding in for a long time towards me. Interesting.

    By the way, I don't need to prove anything to you. I know what I have done and what I haven't done in my lifetime. And I did something that I doubt you could have accomplished in 2 1/2 years like I did. You want to talk law. Go to law school and learn a few things first. Then talk to me. Also, you might want to brush up on your reading comprehension while you're at it.

  12. #112
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,640
    By the way, the law is not stagnant. It is ever-changing. I always loved the study of it. Do you know how laws have changed many times over the years? Case law.

    Not everything is black and white.

  13. #113
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    By the way, the law is not stagnant. It is ever-changing. I always loved the study of it. Do you know how laws have changed many times over the years? Case law.

    Not everything is black and white.
    I say this with the least amount of malice possible: you're hopeless.

  14. #114
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    light-years ahead
    Posts
    2,481
    Good God, another fun thread destroyed by Jordy's bickering.


    Quote Originally Posted by Rhode Island Green View Post
    Why, exactly, should they be contacting their attorneys, as you recommend: for tea?

    I am saying that if no factual assertions are made in a piece, then you can attack a public figure with as much malice as you like, to your heart's content. Again, thank God for that. Because no factual assertions were made in the NYP cartoon = not actionable. See, inter alia, Hustler Magazine v. Falwell.

    No way you went to law school, bud. (Although it doesn't take a law degree to figure this out.)
    +1

    He obviously doesn't know what "actual malice" is, or that there's a difference between common-law malice and "actual malice." LOL

  15. #115
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,640
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhode Island Green View Post
    I say this with the least amount of malice possible: you're hopeless.
    Great. Now how about responding to my other post?

  16. #116
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Cape Cod, MA
    Posts
    3,591
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    What am I exaggerating? The jets desire for publicity? I don't think so as I may have understated their quest for the back pages.
    If any team had signed Tebow besides the Jets, would it have been only for attention? He has no value as football player? The Jets invited ESPN to training camp? You're positive? Rex guaranteed a SB this year? Didn't he say "no more guarantees?" Just because BB infuriates the media with his tight lipped press conferences doesn't mean it's the norm. How long do you think that will be tolerated if the pats start losing? Woody said "as much attention," not that Tebow wouldn't generate attention.

    That's how you exaggerated.

  17. #117
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Cape Cod, MA
    Posts
    3,591
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Ah, the Jets fans only defense to the Patriots total domination over the last 10 years.
    Team Of The (two) Decade(s ago)

  18. #118
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,640
    Quote Originally Posted by jetrider View Post
    Good God, another fun thread destroyed by Jordy's bickering.




    +1

    He obviously doesn't know what "actual malice" is, or that there's a difference between common-law malice and "actual malice." LOL
    You're right for once. There IS a difference between the two. But actual malice relates to this topic and common law malice does not. Don't quit your day job.


    Gotta love the Google Lawyers on this board.

  19. #119
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Cape Cod, MA
    Posts
    3,591
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    Wow, this thread has gone from disrespect of the Jets to Montana is better than Brady...talk about deflection
    Usually my sentiments when I come to JI looking for jets fans and it's nothing but pats trolls.

  20. #120
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    15,569
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    And the Jets haven't won an outright AFCE title in 14 years.

    What's your point?
    My point was very clear.

    Yours? The Jets, what they've won wasn't the point now was it. I didn't bring the Jets up, thats your obsession. You're need to compare the Pats to the Jets as validation I guess.

    I'm not shooting my mouth off like my team is the Giants or one of the other teams that has actually won something in 8 years.

    That would your dance.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us