Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 109

Thread: Week 1 tailgating menu?

  1. #1
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,881

    Week 1 tailgating menu?

    So what is everyone have in mind to kick off this year right?

    I think im gonna do:

    8am:
    Breakfast Pizza on the pizza stone.

    10am:
    Pulled pork Sliders w/slaw
    Sweet potato Fries

    Veggie tray during game time/ chips and dip

    5pm:
    3 bean/3 meat chilli (slow cooker all day long)

    Drinks: IC Light and Mixed drinks




    J

  2. #2
    Do you smoke a pork shoulder or use a crock pot?

    I definitely want to add pulled pork to this years tailgating and want to simplify the process as much as possible.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Do you smoke a pork shoulder or use a crock pot?

    I definitely want to add pulled pork to this years tailgating and want to simplify the process as much as possible.
    If simple is what youre looking for, a crock pot is probably the way to go. Nothing beats a butt smoked for hours but thats not always practical for tailgating.

    Personally, I prefer to fire up the smoker, but Ive had and made decent pulled pork in a crock pot.

  4. #4
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,881
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Do you smoke a pork shoulder or use a crock pot?

    I definitely want to add pulled pork to this years tailgating and want to simplify the process as much as possible.
    I smoke the shoulder in the oven at 225 the night before. I only make it a few times a year because I have to wake up and apply sauce to it every hour or so. Usually the first game and a playoff game I'll do it.

    I use guy fieri's reciepe with a few ingredients of my own. It really is a hit with everyone.

  5. #5
    the smoker will be rockin' starting at 4 AM on Saturday. I'm smoking brisket and pork shoulder for the tailgate on Sunday. I'll be making a BBQ sauce from the abundance of tomatoes I received from my benefactors. Also going to do a batch of buffalo wings in deep fryer. I can't wait to get started.

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    7,259
    I haven't gotten that far yet, way to busy trying to figure out my outfit.

  7. #7
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,881
    Quote Originally Posted by nyahay bus View Post
    the smoker will be rockin' starting at 4 AM on Saturday. I'm smoking brisket and pork shoulder for the tailgate on Sunday. I'll be making a BBQ sauce from the abundance of tomatoes I received from my benefactors. Also going to do a batch of buffalo wings in deep fryer. I can't wait to get started.
    Hot hot is the fryer you deep fry your wings and for how long? I have always baked my wings and finished them off on the grill. I would love to deep fry them.

  8. #8
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    NYC via NJ
    Posts
    562
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    Hot hot is the fryer you deep fry your wings and for how long? I have always baked my wings and finished them off on the grill. I would love to deep fry them.
    I usually dredge my wings in a spiced flour mixture, par bake them around 350 for 10-15 minutes and fry them somewhere between 350-370 for 5-7 minutes. Some recommend par boiling but I haven't tried that yet.

    Unfortunately can't make the game Sunday but will be firing up my smoker doing a pork butt for some tailgating Saturday .. trying to figure out what time to start so I can hold it in a cooler until its ready to eat. Been mostly doing high heat cooks as of late but will back this one done to 250 to go overnight.

  9. #9
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,881
    Quote Originally Posted by brady's a catcher View Post
    I haven't gotten that far yet, way to busy trying to figure out my outfit.
    Khakis!

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by brady's a catcher View Post
    I haven't gotten that far yet, way to busy trying to figure out my outfit.
    I might dust off my old Mustache Rides t-shirt.


  11. #11
    Ladies...Ladies...please calm down at 10:30 AM near the Verzion entrance we'll have a auction for your box lunch picnic and you thrown in as an old maid......."Can't Wait"......lifted from Bart Scott

  12. #12
    Doing the brunch thing...

    1) scrambled eggs with onion, peppers, cheese...etc.
    2) Buffalo medallion steaks marinated with soy sauce, adobo, cumin and cayenne pepper overnight.
    3) something on the bakery side... cinnamon buns?

    Coffee, juice and maybe a pineapple juice/rum concoction.

  13. #13
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,881
    Quote Originally Posted by bobr68 View Post
    Doing the brunch thing...

    1) scrambled eggs with onion, peppers, cheese...etc.
    2) Buffalo medallion steaks marinated with soy sauce, adobo, cumin and cayenne pepper overnight.
    3) something on the bakery side... cinnamon buns?

    Coffee, juice and maybe a pineapple juice/rum concoction.
    Nice.

    I always make way to much stuff the first game. I'll still be eating leftovers til Thursday.

  14. #14
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    8,518
    Quote Originally Posted by brady's a catcher View Post
    I haven't gotten that far yet, way to busy trying to figure out my outfit.
    You beat me. I was just going to mention how much better this topic was. I'm going to go with Yuenglings and whatever they're cooking. Probably sausage and peppers, and T-bones. Then no one will care what they're wearing. I hope I'm wearing a big smile as we're leaving, and I hope Sari, and his Sari ass are on here telling us why this win was the worst thing that could have happened.

  15. #15
    Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Italian Riveria in Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    16,580
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    You beat me. I was just going to mention how much better this topic was. I'm going to go with Yuenglings and whatever they're cooking. Probably sausage and peppers, and T-bones. Then no one will care what they're wearing. I hope I'm wearing a big smile as we're leaving, and I hope Sari, and his Sari ass are on here telling us why this win was the worst thing that could have happened.

    I hear ya, but I love SAR's posts. He does put his money where his mouth is and has been a STH for as long as I've known him. As for his opening day outfit he has chosen to wear Titans blue & Revis jersey. Can't beat him up for that. (-;

  16. #16
    I had a bad leg injury last week so I will probably have to give up my Jets chef hat and apron w/ the toolbelt to someone else for a week since I can't stand too much. I'm still going to prep the food though. Each week we go with a theme and this week is the Bills so Buffalo:

    Breakfast probably bagels. My friend also cooks and will have eggs, bacon, etc

    Lunch I'll be doing buffalo chicken burgers (I put chicken breast, buffalo wing sauce, and blue cheese in the food processor to make the burgers), buffalo shrimp, and possibly buffalo hot dogs. My friend will be doing wings and possibly venison burgers.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Do you smoke a pork shoulder or use a crock pot?

    I definitely want to add pulled pork to this years tailgating and want to simplify the process as much as possible.
    I'll pm you a link to my pulled pork recipe on my site that uses the oven, which is not as great as smoking, but its easier and comes out pretty well.


  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock48nj View Post
    I usually dredge my wings in a spiced flour mixture, par bake them around 350 for 10-15 minutes and fry them somewhere between 350-370 for 5-7 minutes. Some recommend par boiling but I haven't tried that yet.

    Unfortunately can't make the game Sunday but will be firing up my smoker doing a pork butt for some tailgating Saturday .. trying to figure out what time to start so I can hold it in a cooler until its ready to eat. Been mostly doing high heat cooks as of late but will back this one done to 250 to go overnight.
    I was skeptical of the hot and fast style until I spent a weekend at Myron Mixon's in GA this summer. I am now a convert. He did butts at 325.

  19. #19
    It's a 1:00pm game, so we'll start off with Bacon/Sausage and Eggs with bagels and around 10, 1030 bring out the buffalo wings in honor of the soon to come beatdown of the Jills. After the game just the traditional burgers & dogs. No need to get uber fancy.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by TGJoe View Post
    I'll pm you a link to my pulled pork recipe on my site that uses the oven, which is not as great as smoking, but its easier and comes out pretty well.

    Thanks, appreciate that!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us