Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Week 1 tailgating menu?

All League
    Tailgating Question: Small, portable gas grill?

Can I get some recommendations? The Weber Q and the Coleman Roadtrip look interesting, but I doubt they add much in the way of flavor.

For complicated dishes (Dog's famous pulled pork), I expect to use my grill to warm up dishes completed at home.

Otherwise, it will be used for kid friendly foods like hotdogs and burgers for a few years.

Practice Squad
    Ribs
    Cheddarwurst
    Domestic Beer
    Some smokage

Then we'll play the game where we hit expense cars with footballs.

15 pts for an asian (lexus, infiniti, etc)
    10 pts for european (BMW, Mercedes, etc)
    5 pts for domestic (Caddy)

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    These are the same folks who saunter in to their seats 15-20 minutes after the game has started. Stay the f**k home if you're not there to support the team. Give your tickets to a youth charity.
    It seemed to me that these guys had been in the parking lot the whole time. They were pretty much ensconsced in their chairs watching one of 5 screens on their customized Giants RVs.

Maybe this goes on everywhere at all games, but I've never left a Jets game as early as I did last night (as I didn't really care about the outcome) so I've never fully appreciated or encountered it.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post

Can I get some recommendations? The Weber Q and the Coleman Roadtrip look interesting, but I doubt they add much in the way of flavor.

For complicated dishes (Dog's famous pulled pork), I expect to use my grill to warm up dishes completed at home.

Otherwise, it will be used for kid friendly foods like hotdogs and burgers for a few years.
    I've used the Weber Q and I've found it to be solid. I'm not sure what gas grill would be adding flavor, but the Q is pretty compact, works well with the stand and fits nicely into a carrying bag (both of the last two are extra I think).

I'm guessing you could incorporate some woodchips for flavor but I don't get that complicated in the parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    These are the same folks who saunter in to their seats 15-20 minutes after the game has started. Stay the f**k home if you're not there to support the team. Give your tickets to a youth charity.
    While it may not have been the case last night, I have known, at least pre-MetLife, guys that didnt have season tickets but lived close to the stadium (hoboken, etc.) that would come to a tailgate and then sit in the parking lot and watch the game on TV, some of them not even fans of the teams playing. I remember one guy who was a Cowboys fan who would tailgate with us for Jets home MNF games, and then watch the game in the parking lot. Not my thing, but they werent leaving an empty seat or going in late per se because they didnt have a ticket, and got to eat, drink, and socialize. Like a BYOB sports bar in the parking lot.

Those guys last night, probably not the case though. with a Giants RV and that kind of setup.
    Last edited by Brooklyn Jet; 09-06-2012 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I never was able to get into the "post game" tailgate - it seems like a great thing to do in theory, but I've never had that much time on my hands that I'm able to devote 5 hours pre game, 3.5 hours for the game and then another few AFTER the game to drinking and eating. By the time the game is over, I just want to kick my heels and be teleported home.
    We used to do the post-game tailgate back in the day at the old stadium just to kill time. If you stay to the end of the game, and were in certain lots, you could either sit in your car for an hour waiting to get back to the NJ Tpke or GSP, or throw some dogs on the grill and socialize some more, and still get home at the same time.

Sicillian Pizza, closest I can get (locally) to my favorite New York taste down here.

definitely numerous home-cured meats. not going to get a chance to grill this sunday, and the meats definitely cut down on cooking time (probably life expectancy, too) and are delicious beyond belief -- got some sausage, proscuitto, pancetta, etc. probably incorporate them into breakfast and gametime fare with some cheese. guessing a dip of some sort. and I'm thinking chili simmering on the pot all day for something to chow on for the later games. maybe AM bloodies then PM brews.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

I was at the Giants game last night and as I was leaving (early), I was amazed at how many of the big tailgates with customized vehicles had people hanging out in the parking lot watching the game on their TVs.
    There's a theory that ticket prices and PSL's forced thousands of fans out of the stadium but not the parking lots. Many of these fans were in it for the beer and the guys anyway, so they just sit in the lot carousing, don't even have tickets. Get an HDTV, dress up in green, cook and drink and eat, watch the game with the buds, a nice cheap way to experience the game without sitting inside the stadium.

Explains why the no-pass parking costs so much, trying to keep freeloaders out so there are spaces for paying customers.

SAR I

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    There's a theory that ticket prices and PSL's forced thousands of fans out of the stadium but not the parking lots. Many of these fans were in it for the beer and the guys anyway, so they just sit in the lot carousing, don't even have tickets. Get an HDTV, dress up in green, cook and drink and eat, watch the game with the buds, a nice cheap way to experience the game without sitting inside the stadium.

Explains why the no-pass parking costs so much, trying to keep freeloaders out so there are spaces for paying customers.

SAR I
    Leave it up to captain dip$hit for a stupid post like this. Apparently there can only be 80k jets fans. Just enough to get inside. Everyone else isnt a fan or freeloader. However, just compare how much the jets make from fans that come to the game compared to the millions of others through any television contracts and merchandising.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    Leave it up to captain dip$hit for a stupid post like this. Apparently there can only be 80k jets fans. Just enough to get inside. Everyone else isnt a fan or freeloader. However, just compare how much the jets make from fans that come to the game compared to the millions of others through any television contracts and merchandising.
    You live in Pittsburgh. Where are you tailgating? Your driveway?

There are a lot of fans that show up to the parking lots on gamedays who don't enter the stadium. Perhaps it's because they don't have tickets. You don't attend Jets games so you don't understand the true-fan experience.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame

If you want flavor you would go with charcoal and some wood chunks.

Gas is purely for convenience.

Weber Q is the way to go. Check craigslist, there are usually some good deals. Just clean it up a little and it is good to go.

It seemed to me that these guys had been in the parking lot the whole time. They were pretty much ensconsced in their chairs watching one of 5 screens on their customized Giants RVs.

Maybe this goes on everywhere at all games, but I've never left a Jets game as early as I did last night (as I didn't really care about the outcome) so I've never fully appreciated or encountered it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Jet View Post
    While it may not have been the case last night, I have known, at least pre-MetLife, guys that didnt have season tickets but lived close to the stadium (hoboken, etc.) that would come to a tailgate and then sit in the parking lot and watch the game on TV, some of them not even fans of the teams playing. I remember one guy who was a Cowboys fan who would tailgate with us for Jets home MNF games, and then watch the game in the parking lot. Not my thing, but they werent leaving an empty seat or going in late per se because they didnt have a ticket, and got to eat, drink, and socialize. Like a BYOB sports bar in the parking lot.

Those guys last night, probably not the case though. with a Giants RV and that kind of setup.
    Thanks for the responses. I was specifically speaking about season ticket holders who stay in the lot the whole time--or show up late to the seats and leave early before the end of the game--not folks who watch the game in the parking lot.

Veteran

From my experience the Solaire Gas Go Anywhere Portable Infrared Grill was the best. Never thought much about infrared heat until I saw a friend use it. Built well and will sear meat. It starts with a portable tank but can be converted to a 20 pound tank(which I did) or natural gas.

All League

There are a lot of fans that show up to the parking lots on gamedays who don't enter the stadium. Perhaps it's because they don't have tickets. You don't attend Jets games so you don't understand the true-fan experience.

SAR I
    I go to 3 jets games a year. I make the trip and have been since 2002. I tailgate and go to the games.you sound like an idiot when you make comments like that.

All League
    I go to 3 jets games a year. I make the trip and have been since 2002. I tailgate and go to the games.you sound like an idiot when you make comments like that.
    And who cares if they go into the game. The fan experience can be enjoyed in many different ways.

SAR I
    If you never miss kickoff and dont leave early, how do you know that there are "a lot of fans who dont enter the stadium".

Do you go in between quarters and check out the parking lots?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    If you never miss kickoff and dont leave early, how do you know that there are "a lot of fans who dont enter the stadium".

Do you go in between quarters and check out the parking lots?
    Because he is full of it. He is here to start stuff and derail. Period

Anyway, anyone know of some good side dish recipes?

Because he is full of it. He is here to start stuff and derail. Period

Anyway, anyone know of some good side dish recipes?
    Personal favorite is a backed clam dip....very simple, ritz crackers, butter, clams, heat for about 30 minutes. Good for a tailgate since you can crush up the crackers, clams and melted butter before you leave, and heat in pot on the grill.

Also buffalo chicken dip always goes over well.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

I have an extra for Sunday. You coming?

SAR I