Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Jets Cut TJ Conley?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    of his 52 punts that season 17 were inside the 20..Might have played into that net avg?

Only 22 of the 52 were returned...

http://www.nfl.com/player/robertmalo...81/careerstats
    That doesn't explain his gross average which, by comparison, was worse than his net average.

I didn't care for Conley but I don't see how this guy is an upgrade, especially considering that Folk now has to break in a new holder before Sunday.

not sorry to see conley go. maybe that aussie guy is avalable.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Salz View Post
    Malone doesn't appear to be very good, but I guess Westhoff sees something there.
    Please tell us why. I was going on the assumption that Westy, Rex , Sparano and T might know a little something about a punter. But you seem to have more insider information on Malone then they do. Please share it in depth. Thank you

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    That doesn't explain his gross average which, by comparison, was worse than his net average.
    How is that even possible?

_

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by sameoldjets View Post
    not sorry to see conley go. maybe that aussie guy is avalable.
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post

_
    Theoretical mathematics

Jets Insider VIP

_
    I guess he gets decent hang time on his short piddly kicks.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Please tell us why. I was going on the assumption that Westy, Rex , Sparano and T might know a little something about a punter. But you seem to have more insider information on Malone then they do. Please share it in depth. Thank you
    I don't know. Maybe because his stats aren't impressive. Did you see his 2010 stats?

Glad to know he had a good showing in his workout though.

I guess we'll have to see how he performs in live action and hope he's better in 2012 than he was in 2010.

All Pro
    IDK.

In 2010 with Tampa Bay, he was 28th in the NFL (among punters with at least 50 punts) in gross average and 24th in net average.

I don't see the attraction here.

This average is for a punter in a warm climate team, does not bold well for him when the weather turns up north.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Boynton Beach Jets View Post
    This average is for a punter in a warm climate team, does not bold well for him when the weather turns up north.
    That's a pretty bode statement.

_

Jets Insider VIP
    That's a pretty bode statement.

_

All Pro
    Conley had to go -- he's just not good and I'm sure this Malone guy is an upgrade. Can't be any worse, that's for sure.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Conley had to go -- he's just not good and I'm sure this Malone guy is an upgrade. Can't be any worse, that's for sure.

Posted on | July 31, 2012

SAN DIEGO– Robert Malone didn’t intend to pursue a job in one of the most exclusive career fields in America.

It kind of pursued him.

Now he’s all in, still seeking work as one of the 32 punters in the National Football League.

“After my junior year (at Fresno State), it looked like I’d have an opportunity,” said the former Riverside King High standout, who never finished worse than 23rd in the nation in net punting average in college. “I thought it was awesome just to have a scholarship.”

Two years out of FSU, Malone is with his fourth NFL team, the San Diego Chargers. It may seem like a bad place for a punter to look for a job, since the team’s veteran incumbent, Mike Scifres, is one of the best in the biz.

But there are a variety of paths for punters, and one of them is to simply find a place to get live action in August.

“If I can get some film out there, there will be other opportunities, too,” said Malone, 24, who will take advantage of whatever San Diego has to offer, including its geography.

“It’s a nice place to kick and it’s right down the street (from Riverside).”

There also was a personal connection. Malone spent 12 games in 2010 punting for Tampa Bay, where Rich Bisaccia was the Buccaneers special teams coach. Bisaccia is in his second-year as San Diego’s special teams coach, adding the title of associate head coach this season.

“Robert will play in the preseason and it’s an opportunity for him to get himself back on tape, kicking to returners, with protection and all that,” said Bisaccia, who understands how windows can open quickly in the NFL.

“Guys break toenails all the time.”

Malone signed with Jacksonville as a free agent in 2010, and made it to the end of the summer before he was released. Four games into the season, Tampa Bay released its punter, Australian Chris Bryan, and brought in Malone.

He averaged a respectable 41.5 yards per punt, with a 36.5 net average, but the Bucs released him just before the 2011 season. He stayed in shape, waited for a call, and played one game for the Detroit Lions in November last year. He joined the Chargers in the spring.

Bisaccia agreed there’s a fine line between the league’s starters and 30-to-60 more NFL-caliber punters in camps right now.

“Different coaches are looking for different things. Some like big-ball hitters, or guys who get rid of it quick, or guys who are good directional kickers,” said Bisaccia.

“Robert is a big-ball hitter. He played really well for us in Tampa.”

Malone certainly understands the life. His cousin, former USC punter Tom Malone, who played at Lake Elsinore Temescal Canyon, has been bouncing around the fringes of pro football since 2005. Tom Malone, 28, spent part of that year with San Francisco, and parts of 2007 and 2008 on New England’s practice squad. He was with Seattle briefly in the spring of 2010. His playing time has come at the next level down, with the United Football League’s New York Sentinels (2009) and Sacramento Mountain Lions (2010-2011). He is in camp with the St. Louis Rams this summer, still looking to get into his first NFL game.

Robert Malone said the season in Tampa “was a blessing,” allowing him to accumulate enough savings to keep training and make himself available, at least for another year or two.

“You get used to bouncing around,” said Malone. “Detroit called me in the middle of the week. I made it to one practice, then straight into the game.”

If he’s fortunate, someone will need a punter before the season starts. If not, there are always those emergency call lists that teams compile.

“That’s the name of the game until you get settled with one team,” said Malone. “For young punters, it’s pretty tough.”

Thirty-two jobs, and it’s more than just kicking your way in.

http://blog.pe.com/gregg-patton/2012...lone-a-leg-up/

Pre 2010 Draft

Overview

Malone was a two-year starting punter for the Bulldogs. He has good size and strength for the position and is an above average athlete to adjust to marginal snaps and execute effectively. Malone doesn't have a powerful leg, but he does have good pop to get the ball deep on occasion. He displays good mechanics with solid get-off times, which has resulted in just one attempt blocked during his career. He is adept at angle punts and can be effective dropping the ball inside the 20-yard line. Malone doesn't provide versatility as an emergency kicker, but he has enough tools to develop into an NFL punter.

Analysis

Strengths

Malone is a mechanically sound punter who strikes the ball solidly and sometimes booms one. Athletic enough to adjust to errant snaps and gets the ball off quickly. Great directional kicker who consistently backs opponents inside the 20-yard line.

Weaknesses

Does not consistently drive the ball deep. Lacks the hang time on his punts to give the coverage team the necessary time to get into position. Has little experience as a place kicker and lacks the leg strength to kick off.

http://www.nfl.com/player/robertmalo...81/careerstats

I thought the other kid they added last week was going to be the new punter. It seems he did well but I guess not. I was thinking Conley would get cut for him.

WTF is the point of this cut? Based on the numbers, our new punter doesn't appear to be better.

New York Jets reportedly cut T.J. Conley, sign Malone
    By Dan Hanzus
    Writer
    Published: Sept. 4, 2012 at 07:04 p.m. Updated: Sept. 4, 2012 at 07:20 p.m.

Print

T.J. Conley thought he avoided The Turk during training camp. He thought wrong.

The New York Jets released the punter on Tuesday, according to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News. In a corresponding move, the team signed former San Diego Chargers punter Robert Malone.

Conley punted for the Jets last season, and held off two challengers in training camp, but a shaky preseason ultimately cost him the gig. He averaged 44 yards per punt in the preseason, which ranked 26th in the league. His 37.9 net average ranked 19th.

Malone -- recently cut by the Chargers -- appeared in 10 games for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2010, when he was one of the NFL's worst punters statistically. He posted better numbers during the preseason with the Chargers, averaging 44.8 yards per punt and a 39.9 net average.

The moves provide a reminder of the Jets' mistake to move on from Steve Weatherford after the 2010 season. Weatherford -- who special teams coach Mike Westhoff said "wasn't good enough" to kick for the Jets -- signed with the New York Giants and went on to play a substantial role in a Super Bowl run.

Westhoff is almost always right when it comes to special teams. Stress almost.

Follow Dan Hanzus on Twitter @danhanzus.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...ey-sign-malone
    Last edited by escamoter2; 09-04-2012 at 09:36 PM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by escamoter2 View Post
    WTF is the point of this cut? Based on the numbers, our new punter doesn't appear to be better.
    He promised to be better.

Quote Originally Posted by stanner View Post
    He promised to be better.
    or, He promised to be cheaper.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Malone nut

Look what just happened with Dixon... maybe this is one of those moves where they plan to bring him back.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I didn't care for Conley but I don't see how this guy is an upgrade, especially considering that Folk now has to break in a new holder before Sunday.
    Math isn't a strong suit I guess.

Or how gross and net average work.