Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Jets Cut TJ Conley?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

What I've read a few times about Malone is that although he has a strong leg, he has the tendency to kick line drives down the field, making his kicks very returnable. I think Westoff was sick of Conley's inconsistency, but I wouldn't be surprised if Malone ends up being shown the door after a poor game.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    And that is stupid for a team like the Jets. If any team should invest in a top notch punter and good Fg kicker it is a team with a good D and a ball control mentality. A lot of games are decided by a small amount when you have a team with a great D that can keep you in games.
    This is the point that can't be emphasized enough.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    It's not a matter of just keeping guys... It's a matter of keeping guys at what amount of money.

In a capped league there are certain positions you have to pay bottom dollar and it's clear Tannenbaum has decided punter and kicker are two positions.

To be honest, it looks like recently many more teams have decided the same thing.
    We are built as a defensive ball control team. Parcells back in the day used to preach how special teams can be the difference between a decent team and a great team. Look, if we had an offense like NO or NE or GB and could just uickly go back down the field after a missed FG then I'm fine with paying bottom dollar for a shaky kicker. We are not. We are strictly a tight defense ball control offense. This team is designed to win games putting only 17 points on the board. To do that you need a punter that will constantly give the opponent a long field and a kicker that isn't leaving you biting your nails all the time.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Did he lead the league in putting the ball inside the 20? No.

Adam Podlesh had 57 total punts in 2010 to Malone's 52. He put 26 punts inside the 20 compared to 17 for Malone. Pretty significant difference yes? His net average was 39.2 to Malone's 36.5. Morstead had 57 punts. 21 inside the 20 with a 38.4 net average. And these are just guys with similar numbers as far as total punts. I would bet that if a breakdown was done among all punters that year, that Malone would still come out near the bottom.
    Cute, and has nothing to do with Malone vs TJ. You just like to type?

This is as relevant as talking about Bradys numbers as an argument between Sanchez vs Tebow.

I can see where this is going.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    For a team that has preached ball control, field position and such we have done one incredibly shi**y job of having a stable, good kicking game over the years. While other teams have FG kickers and punters for 10 years we recycle them every year or two and put very little priority on them. I guess because Westoff can 'coach em up'.

Once again we are bringing in some other teams dregs because 'our guy' couldn't cut it.
    How was Conley "our guy"..He wasn't drafted by the Jets..He was cut a few times by the Jets...

Pretty much every team "doesn't have their guy" as their punter except Oakland.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Cute, and has nothing to do with Malone vs TJ. You just like to type?

This is as relevant as talking about Bradys numbers as an argument between Sanchez vs Tebow.

I can see where this is going.
    It's going into the direction where it usually goes with you and me:

You butt into a conversation and challenge something I say.

You defend and fellate every player and coach on the Jets (even those who have been with the team less than a day).

And when facts are presented to you, you start deflecting the conversation and dismissing what I say without presenting any facts of your own.

The only thing that is missing so far are the personal attacks from you and the face.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    How was Conley "our guy"..He wasn't drafted by the Jets..He was cut a few times by the Jets...

All I think he was saying is that Conley has been our punter and was our current punter until yesterday.

Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini
    After a slow start, Robert Malone boomed 3 or 4 in a row. Still hasn't hit roof, but good hang time. Ryan said he hit roof 5x in tryout.

Oakland
    San Fransisco
    Miami
    Seattle
    Indianapolis
    San Diego
    Buffalo
    New England
    Denver
    Kansas City

They all have "their guy."

I also expect to add Jacksonville to the list pretty soon. At least I'd hope so, after drafting the guy in round 3.

Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    Oakland
    San Fransisco
    Miami
    Seattle
    Indianapolis
    San Diego
    Buffalo
    New England
    Denver
    Kansas City

They all have "their guy."

I also expect to add Jacksonville to the list pretty soon. At least I'd hope so, after drafting the guy in round 3.
    Good research!

Good research!
    Those are the guys that I really like, anyway.

Lechler
    Lee
    Fields
    Ryan
    McAfee
    Scifres
    Moorman
    Mesko
    and the Colquitt brothers

J'ville drafted Angerer

There are guys like Weatherford that had good years in '11, but I still don't buy them as "franchise" punters (is that even a thing?)

Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    Those are the guys that I really like, anyway.

Lechler
    Lee
    Fields
    Ryan
    McAfee
    Scifres
    Moorman
    Mesko
    and the Colquitt brothers

J'ville drafted Angerer

There are guys like Weatherford that had good years in '11, but I still don't buy them as "franchise" punters (is that even a thing?)
    Lechler is pretty damn close

Lechler is pretty damn close
    Andy Lee is just as good a Lechler.

Leg isn't quite as big (though still stronger than everyone else), but he's more accurate and has better control, making up the difference.

Though if you're a team with a terrible offense that's going to be punting from your own 20 all game, Lechler is probably still your guy.

Per Rex: second time the Jets brought Malone in for workouts..thinks he can help the football team..Rex (and Jets) were looking for more consistency and he thinks Malone will provide that..

Rex asked about Malone being a holder if there is a concern..Rex Paraphrasing..No, we worked Malone out as a holder too...And on Folk's 58 yarder Conley wasn't the holder.

This was from the presser up on Jets website
    Last edited by C Mart; 09-05-2012 at 01:46 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Per Rex: second time the Jets brought Malone in for workouts..thinks he can help the football team..Rex (and Jets) were looking for more consistency and he thinks Malone will provide that..

Rex asked about Malone being a holder if there is a concern..Rex Paraphrasing..No, we worked Malone out as a holder too...And on Folk's 58 yarder Conley wasn't the holder.

This was from the presser up on Jets website
    Until he proves he can't provide that.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

It's going into the direction where it usually goes with you and me:

You butt into a conversation and challenge something I say.

You defend and fellate every player and coach on the Jets (even those who have been with the team less than a day).

And when facts are presented to you, you start deflecting the conversation and dismissing what I say without presenting any facts of your own.

The only thing that is missing so far are the personal attacks from you and the face.
    Butt in?

It's an open forum Jordy.

You're a rag who picks fights with everyone who doesn't agree with your whiney posts.

Who am I defending, the Jet they cut, or the Jet they signed.

As if your incessant complaining about the FO, the coaches and players is a badge of honor. Pick a player and whine. And if not argue like the sh1ttiest ambulance chaser. Then bring in another player, another team, that has nothing to do with the subject. More bluff to cloud whatever it is youre trying to say.

You don't have a clue other than to read a stat sheet and don't get what the stats mean, not a good combo.

Done, but you cant shut up and will come back with something that is out of left field, again.

Fellate? Yeah Jordy, you see dead people too?

Until he proves he can't provide that.
    that's the spirit

Jets Insider VIP
    that's the spirit
    Just sayin'

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Butt in?

It's an open forum Jordy.

You're a rag who picks fights with everyone who doesn't agree with your whiney posts.

Who am I defending, the Jet they cut, or the Jet they signed.

As if your incessant complaining about the FO, the coaches and players is a badge of honor. Pick a player and whine. And if not argue like the sh1ttiest ambulance chaser. Then bring in another player, another team, that has nothing to do with the subject. More bluff to cloud whatever it is youre trying to say.

You don't have a clue other than to read a stat sheet and don't get what the stats mean, not a good combo.

Done, but you cant shut up and will come back with something that is out of left field, again.

Fellate? Yeah Jordy, you see dead people too?
    LOL. You're whacked. You really are. As if I'm the only one who says these things about you.

Yeah you butted in. Only because of your need to confront me.

I know how to read stats. I provided stats. You ignored them. Probably because you know you have nothing to provide to back up whatever position you seem to have. You see, unlike you, I back up my comments with facts. I don't make blanket statements that have no basis in fact. That's YOUR schtick. What have you provided to the discussion here other than your hatred and vitriol and venom that normally accompany your posts here.

Like I said before, you deflect the conversation because you have NOTHING.

Since YOU are the one who started in with me, how about YOU shutting up and ignoring me. You CHOSE to confront me. YOUR choice. Not mine.

Oh, and to answer your question about the players, you are defending the player they SIGNED. Of course you did. Because the guy they cut is no longer a Jet. He was great yesterday. But he sucks today in your world. And when Malone is cut, he'll suck too and the new guy will be great. Pretty simple.
    Last edited by Jordy; 09-05-2012 at 03:37 PM.