Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jets Tweets & Info 9/4

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini
    Hard Knocks: Philbin says, deep down, he has reservations on whether WR Gates is a football player -- now member of #Jets.
    Because Joe Philbin is such a glorious evaluator of talent.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Section 1. Practice Squads:

• (a) The League may elect in any League Year in accordance with this Article to establish Practice Squads not to exceed eight (8) players per Club. The League’s election in any one season shall not determine or affect its election in any subsequent season.
    • (b) The League may elect to allow some or all Clubs to add to their Practice Squads one additional player, who shall not count against the limit above, whose citizenship and principal place of residence are outside the United States and its Territories (“International Player”). The League’s election in any one season shall not determine or affect its election in any subsequent season. Such International Players shall be subject to the same terms and conditions of employment that apply to other Practice Squad players except that they (1) may not, during the term of their Practice Squad Contract, negotiate or sign an NFL Player Contract with any Club; and (2) may not practice with any Club following the last Conference Championship Game unless both Conference Champion-ship teams have such a player. In addition, notwithstanding the provisions of Section 4 below, such International Player shall be eligible to serve on a Practice Squad for three additional seasons after the completion of the player’s year(s) as an International Player. As set forth in Section 3 below, the weekly salary for such International Players shall not be included in the employing Club’s Team Salary and shall instead be deducted from the calculation of the Salary Cap in the same manner as any Player Benefit Cost.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2011/9/4/...ning-agreement

C-MART, can always count on you for the right info. please don't ever leave this site.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    @MMehtaNYDN
    I've been told that Bilal Powell has beaten out Joe McKnight for Jets' 3rd-down running back job. Story here: http://t.co/qSUQyigw #nyj

I spoke to a few players last week, who said Bilal Powell was the most impressive "under the radar" guy on offense in camp/preseason #nyj

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Section 1. Practice Squads:

• (a) The League may elect in any League Year in accordance with this Article to establish Practice Squads not to exceed eight (8) players per Club. The League’s election in any one season shall not determine or affect its election in any subsequent season.
    • (b) The League may elect to allow some or all Clubs to add to their Practice Squads one additional player, who shall not count against the limit above, whose citizenship and principal place of residence are outside the United States and its Territories (“International Player”). The League’s election in any one season shall not determine or affect its election in any subsequent season. Such International Players shall be subject to the same terms and conditions of employment that apply to other Practice Squad players except that they (1) may not, during the term of their Practice Squad Contract, negotiate or sign an NFL Player Contract with any Club; and (2) may not practice with any Club following the last Conference Championship Game unless both Conference Champion-ship teams have such a player. In addition, notwithstanding the provisions of Section 4 below, such International Player shall be eligible to serve on a Practice Squad for three additional seasons after the completion of the player’s year(s) as an International Player. As set forth in Section 3 below, the weekly salary for such International Players shall not be included in the employing Club’s Team Salary and shall instead be deducted from the calculation of the Salary Cap in the same manner as any Player Benefit Cost.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2011/9/4/...ning-agreement
    Good info here.

If I am reading this right I think it depends on whether or not he is a US citizen and where he lives. Smith was born in Australia and went to college in the US. However, he plays for the US team.

It was not just on the domestic stage that Smith impressed, he also was a regular with the USA Eagles, for which he qualified on residency grounds.
    Does "residency" mean he is a citizen? But the NFL rule says residency AND principal place of residence must be outside the US. From what I gather he lives here so maybe he will not qualify.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 09-05-2012 at 04:45 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Good info here.

If I am reading this right I think it depends on whether or not he is a US citizen and where he lives. Smith was born in Australia and went to college in the US. However, he plays for the US team.

Does "residency" mean he is a citizen? But the NFL rule says residency AND principal place of residence must be outside the US. From what I gather he lives here so maybe he will not qualify.
    no, residency and citizenship are definitely not the same. there are many, many residents of the U.S. who are not citizens.

residency basically means where you live. it varies state by state, and I'm not sure what the federal definition is, but generally when you've lived in a place for more than a few months you are able to become a resident.

for that reason, the NFL requirements for this foreign player exemption is worded in a strange way. To be trying out for an NFL team, you almost certainly would qualify as a U.S. resident. you would have to be here for training camp, and presumably if you're going to have any shot at making the team at all, you've been trying to learn the game by training in the U.S. prior to camp. So, you would almost certainly have been living in the U.S. for the last year or more.

perhaps by principal place of residence they mean that you grew up and spent most of your life outside the U.S. They probably are not talking about the last year or two -- otherwise, it's hard to see how anyone would really be able to qualify.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gaffneycatch View Post
    no, residency and citizenship are definitely not the same. there are many, many residents of the U.S. who are not citizens.

residency basically means where you live. it varies state by state, and I'm not sure what the federal definition is, but generally when you've lived in a place for more than a few months you are able to become a resident.

for that reason, the NFL requirements for this foreign player exemption is worded in a strange way. To be trying out for an NFL team, you almost certainly would qualify as a U.S. resident. you would have to be here for training camp, and presumably if you're going to have any shot at making the team at all, you've been trying to learn the game by training in the U.S. prior to camp. So, you would almost certainly have been living in the U.S. for the last year or more.

perhaps by principal place of residence they mean that you grew up and spent most of your life outside the U.S. They probably are not talking about the last year or two -- otherwise, it's hard to see how anyone would really be able to qualify.
    I agree with you. There seems to be some gray area here. I can see it going either way. I think the fact that he plays for the USA Rugby team will work against us b.c he passed their residency requirement. I think the NFL's requirements might be two-fold. Non-US citizen AND non-US resident. It will be interesting to see how this ends up. Based on what CMart posted, I do not think he is going to qualify. USA Rugby deemed him a resident.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 09-05-2012 at 09:35 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I agree with you. There seems to be some gray area here. I can see it going either way. I think the fact that he plays for the USA Rugby team will work against us b.c he passed their residency requirement. I think the NFL's requirements might be two-fold. Non-US citizen AND non-US resident. It will be interesting to see how this ends up. Based on what CMart posted, I do not think he is going to qualify. USA Rugby deemed him a resident.
    also, we actually don't even know that the Jets are trying to get the exemption. though it would seem like they'd like to stash as many players as possible on the PS, the fact is, you DO have to pay those guys $100,000+ over the course of the season, and maybe Woody isn't into adding that expense. it may seem like peanuts, but I've learned that you never know where the Jets (or any team, for that matter) may try to save a few bucks.