Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Marcus Dixon Back with Jets

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    New guy eligible for PS. Dixon not. This is exactly how we jacked Jarron Gilbert from da Bears. Keep him on the roster just long enough for dust to clear, and then waive him when other rosters are full.
    I think the Jets signed Gilbert straight to the PS. He preferred the Jets PS to the Bears becuz of Rex.
    Last edited by C Mart; 09-04-2012 at 08:39 PM.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Isn't the new CBA rule that teams can't add players to PS squads until they've signed them to regular roster and then release them? Is it possible the Dixon/Aaitui exchange was to adr d Aaitui to the PS all along, but they wanted the opportunity to do this by getting first dibs during waiver pick-ups after final cutdown? Would make sense to me.
    It makes sense. They probably had a gentleman's agreement with Dixon that they would cut him for a few days to make Aaitui practice squad eligible by being on the roster first. That's likely why Rex was evasive when asked about reasons why they cut Dixon he didn't want to give the game away.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by escamoter2 View Post
    Who did we cut to make room again for Dixon?
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    Dixon.

Basically.

_

All League
    So, are all those critics who said this was an unworthy, stupid, penny pinching move going to re-address those thoughts?

[can't appropriately quote this from my phone, but Cimini a few days ago:]

1. Releasing Marcus Dixon. Unless I'm missing something, this makes no sense. The Jets finally had developed some quality depth on the defensive line -- a must in the NFL, as the Giants have proven -- but they cut their fourth- or fifth-best lineman. Dixon isn't a budding star, but he's a versatile backup, capable of playing inside or outside. Clearly, they think Kenrick Ellis is ready to become a major contributor, but Dixon still had value. It's hard to imagine his modest salary ($540,000) was a factor, but I'm telling you, the Jets are pinching pennies even though they have cap room.
    Last edited by stanner; 09-04-2012 at 08:57 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    The NT we signed when we cut Dixon!!!!!!!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    The NT we signed when we cut Dixon!!!!!!!
    It's a classic, David Blaine did this with rabbits ...

hope we got the Miami playbook in the 48 hours he was on the team.....

Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    So what was the point of this: cut Dixon, sign new guy , cut new guy, re-sign Dixon?

Did they save money this way or was this all just a lot of nothing?

To sell newspapers.

I bought one cause i read Dixon cut and i bought one cause it said Dixon re-signed.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    hope we got the Miami playbook in the 48 hours he was on the team.....
    Yep and as soon as they found out the Miami Playbook had one play in it.............................Punt.

We re-signed him.

Quote Originally Posted by HitSomeone41 View Post
    Yep and as soon as they found out the Miami Playbook had one play in it.............................Punt.

We re-signed him.
    good one. however, this could be the pot calling the kettle black if the offense continues to suck

good one. however, this could be the pot calling the kettle black if the offense continues to suck
    Yeah cause im sure we showed everything we could do in the pre-season.

The pre-season is over. Stop acting like a Cleveland Browns fan.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Good point.

You're not as dumb as 32 said you were last week.

_
    Gfy.

I said that two weeks ago, mongo.

Dixon.

Basically.

_
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    +1..hysterical.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Dixon's a good depth player, glad he's back. And Rex likes to rotate the d-linemen quite a bit, so he'll be getting some playing time and hopefully contributing.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    I think the Jets signed Gilbert straight to the PS. He preferred the Jets PS to the Bears becuz of Rex.
    That's right. IIRC, the Jets tried to claim him but pulled back after they got Dixon. He cleared waivers and then was signed to the PS.

If it wasn't him, they've done this with other players though (Patrick Turner maybe? I'm forgetting). They sign a guy to their active roster and then, when other teams have their rosters and PSs all set and filled, they slip the guy on to the Practice Squad. I'm sure they had a gentleman's agreement with Dixon to bring him back. But, then again, maybe not....he had to pass through waivers, which was far from a guarantee. Especially with Buffalo coming in on Sunday.

Tanny proving once again why he is 3000x smarter than JI posters.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by NY State of Mind View Post
    Tanny proving once again why he is 3000x smarter than JI posters.
    Okay? For the amount of money he makes, he should be 10000000000000000x smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    That's right. IIRC, the Jets tried to claim him but pulled back after they got Dixon. He cleared waivers and then was signed to the PS.

If it wasn't him, they've done this with other players though (Patrick Turner maybe? I'm forgetting). They sign a guy to their active roster and then, when other teams have their rosters and PSs all set and filled, they slip the guy on to the Practice Squad. I'm sure they had a gentleman's agreement with Dixon to bring him back. But, then again, maybe not....he had to pass through waivers, which was far from a guarantee. Especially with Buffalo coming in on Sunday.
    I think Wednesday is the normal day when the upcoming game plan is given out to the players and practiced. So I don't think Aaitui can really give Buffalo much especially since he was in Florham Park for all of 48 hours.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    I think Wednesday is the normal day when the upcoming game plan is given out to the players and practiced. So I don't think Aaitui can really give Buffalo much especially since he was in Florham Park for all of 48 hours.
    This is correct. Everything's installed on Wednesday's. Today was their day off and I'm not sure they had much of a practice Monday anyway (probably just had meetings), so Aaitui likely doesn't know a thing. That's a complete non-concern.

All Pro
    guess Damon Harrison will be inactive on game days. They are grooming him, Ellis, Wilkerson, and Coples as the future. Not bad. Not bad at all.
    Marcus Dixon is only 28 too.
    Coples, Harrison, Ellis, Wilkerson.

We used to have FEAR. Soon we will have CHEW.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

We are totally winning the SuperBowl now.