Thread: Powell Beats Out McKnight for 3rd Down Back Spot

Powell Beats Out McKnight for 3rd Down Back Spot

(sorry for the weird post set up, posting this from my phone)

9.05.2012, 00:29 AM
    Bilal Powell beats out Joe McKnight for NY Jets third-down running back job

The Tim Tebow-led Wildcat wonít be the only new aspect of the Jetsí offense this season.

The Daily News has learned that Bilal Powell has beaten out Joe McKnight for the third-down running back job.

Powell, who played sparingly (13 carries in two games) as a rookie last season, emerged as the Jetsí best option on third downs with Shonn Greene off the field during the preseason. Powell and McKnight entered training camp in an open competition for the job, but Powell distanced himself.

A few players told the News last week that they were impressed with Powell's pass protection skills. (Remember: Mark Sanchez was sacked 39 times in 2011).

Powell finished the preseason with 92 yards on 26 carries and three catches for 17 yards. A few offensive players told the News last week that Powell was the best player flying under the radar in camp.

McKnight, who is dealing with a hamstring pull, is still expected to play a meaningful role on offense. His status for the season opener against the Bills on Sunday is unknown at this point.

Author:
    MANISH MEHTA

I'm glad this happened, it gives McKnight more focus on kick off returns. Besides I liked what I seen from Powell in the preseason.

McKnight is the Devin Hester of RBs. I have no issue with this.

Good to see the management making soud decisions based on talent and not favoritism.

the bigger story imo is gannaway going bye bye. Did I miss something?

I bet McKnight is still somehow deployed in whatever wildcat formation we have out though...

Quote Originally Posted by Green Bandit View Post
    I bet McKnight is still somehow deployed in whatever wildcat formation we have out though...
    This. I like both guys. No problem with this.

Oh, this should be fun.

Hall Of Fame
    Calling Stokes.

Jets Insider VIP
    Powell has been running with the ones on 3rd downs since week 1 of the preseason. Not sure why this is news today.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Powell has been running with the ones on 3rd downs since week 1 of the preseason. Not sure why this is news today.
    True. McKnight has not learned how to block or recognize a blitz.

All Pro
    I'm happy Powell won the job. He looks good in Pass protection and Mark needs all the help he can get to stay upright....

mckinight looked good as a receiver last year so he could be used in that role

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by sect313 View Post
    mckinight looked good as a receiver last year so he could be used in that role
    He might need to take off the 15 lbs or so that he put on in order to become a kick-ass running back.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Sports View Post
    Good to see the management making soud decisions based on talent and not favoritism.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Sports View Post
    Please tell them Eric Smith is still on the team.