Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: At what point does the media do a 180 and start suckung our d1cks?

Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    Not true about the 09'-10' Jets. Media hated on Rex since he's been in NY. Those teams shut the media up however. Us not making the playoffs last year, coming off of a Rex SB guarantee opened the flood gates this offseason
    Agree 100%. Once we hit the playoffs (which let's remember we "backed into" in 09), the media cooled off and took us seriously. The last three years have been a media attack on Green.

I always wonder if part of it comes from the resentment that many in the country have towards NYC.
    I've had 4 people in my life say "New York sucks why would I go there?" -twice in Boston (morons), but twice in San Diego of all places. Kinda surprised me, especially bc being a New Yorker, I don't waste my time even thinking along such lines. (everyone already knows Boston sucks )
    I'm sure many have stories similar to this.
    My reply to these statements was a dripping with sarcasm "Youre right, I can't think of one reason why you'd ever want to go to NY."

Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    +1. Take a step back and look at the Jets objectively and you'll stop wondering why the media treat us like sh*t. Think about how you might react to Rex Ryan's constant BS if he were coaching another team that never lived up to his hype. Now you understand.
    WHO HASNT LIVED UP TO THE HYPE BACK TO BACK AFC CHAMPIONSHIPS AND AND 8 AND 8 SEASON AND WE SURE HAVE COME ALONG WAY FROM THE KOTITE- BRUCE COSLET ERA PERSPECTIVE PEOPLE I KNOW THIS IS THE BEST RUN IN TEAM HISTORY IF REX MAKES THE PLAYOFFS THIS YEAR HE IS BY FAR THE BEST COACH THIS TEAM HAS EVER HAD AND HE IS A JET PRODUCT NOT A GIANT TUNA SUNDYA PLEASE SUPPORT YOUR TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by joe810 View Post
    WHO HASNT LIVED UP TO THE HYPE BACK TO BACK AFC CHAMPIONSHIPS AND AND 8 AND 8 SEASON AND WE SURE HAVE COME ALONG WAY FROM THE KOTITE- BRUCE COSLET ERA PERSPECTIVE PEOPLE I KNOW THIS IS THE BEST RUN IN TEAM HISTORY IF REX MAKES THE PLAYOFFS THIS YEAR HE IS BY FAR THE BEST COACH THIS TEAM HAS EVER HAD AND HE IS A JET PRODUCT NOT A GIANT TUNA SUNDYA PLEASE SUPPORT YOUR TEAM

I'm sorry, please try again. Rex himself guaranteed a Super Bowl win in 2009, 2010 and 2011. In how many of those years did the Jets win the Super Bowl, aka, live up to the hype? Did you say zero? Ah, ok. Now, like I said, you understand.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by gaffneycatch View Post
    I'm with you. I've don't remember many times the negative chatter being as extreme as it is now about a team that's only one year removed from consecutive AFCC games, and that has made the playoffs 6 times over the past decade. And much of it seems to be a reaction against the loud-mouthed coach and high-profile nature of the team -- not real football reasoning. In my experience (in sports and other areas of life) when sentiment becomes this extreme and this irrational, it's usually a decent bet to go the other way. Unfortunately, Vegas and the actual people who put money on these things are a lot smarter than the talking heads and fans who call in to talk shows...the over under on Jets wins is still 8.5 in Vegas (which sounds about right to me), although you'd think from all that's being said in the media it would be around 6.
    Back in 85,86 The GIANTS went to 2 consecutive NFC Champ games. But in 86 they won and won the SB. Then again in 91, 08 and 2012. They dont seem to be disrespected that much.

When we win...it will stop.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Back in 85,86 The GIANTS went to 2 consecutive NFC Champ games.

Not true. They went in '86 but not '85.

Jets Insider VIP
    Not true. They went in '86 but not '85.
    My bad...what game was it where Landeta wiffed a punt in Chicago in the sub zero temps????

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by OlTimeGiantFanFromLongAgo View Post
    I'm not trying to be a jerk, but the Jets completely brought this on themselves. The media loved the Jets until their late-season losing streak. When you have an ownership hell-bent on bringing in name players who aren't that good and you have a coach who likes to talk about how great he and his team are, there's going to be a backlash when you start losing - other teams' players and coaches will take exception and that filters down to media outlets. The media "dislikes" the Jets because the Jets play to the media. Jets fans should be angry with ownership, not ESPN, WFAN, or the tabloids.
    Spot-on. Thank you for writing that.

Everyone forgets that a year ago the media was slamming the Giants, just slamming Reese for the terrible offseason and crushing Coughlin for failing to make the playoffs while praising the Jets to the high-heavens about being ready to make the move and get to the Super Bowl with that stocked roster.

SAR I

Rookie
    Media can't stop talking about how meaningless preseason is...yet, they're pointing to how awful the Jets are because of....wait for it....preseason games. The 180 is coming, believe it.

When we put an NFL caliber offense on the field.

If we went into Pittsburgh and won convincingly, starting out 2-0 with a bang, that would probably change the perception of this year's team with the media. That said, it seems to be a highly unlikely scenario given the roster and performance to date

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    If we went into Pittsburgh and won convincingly, starting out 2-0 with a bang, that would probably change the perception of this year's team with the media. That said, it seems to be a highly unlikely scenario given the roster and performance to date
    maybe.....we were 3 and 0 in 2009 and became pretty average as the year went on but I like 2-0. Remember the Bills? 5 and 0?

maybe.....we were 3 and 0 in 2009 and became pretty average as the year went on but I like 2-0. Remember the Bills? 5 and 0?
    Media loved us at 3-0, loved Rex and his D. The big caveat then was rookie QB, so they were tempered with their praise (which proved to be right as the team went 6-7 the rest of the regular season with Sanchez struggling badly in several games).

If we started 5-0 this year, that would include wins over Pitt, Hou, and SF, 3 SB contenders. We'd probably be considered a top 3 team in the league if that happened. I'd give the odds of it about .01%

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Based on CBS Sports Week 1 predictions, you're not going to have to worry about that:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/feature...s/expert/picks
    I'm glad. We are a lock to win now.

Jets Insider VIP
    Media loved us at 3-0, loved Rex and his D. The big caveat then was rookie QB, so they were tempered with their praise (which proved to be right as the team went 6-7 the rest of the regular season with Sanchez struggling badly in several games).

If we started 5-0 this year, that would include wins over Pitt, Hou, and SF, 3 SB contenders. We'd probably be considered a top 3 team in the league if that happened. I'd give the odds of it about .01%
    I was "trying" to imply I dont care what the media thinks after week 3 or 5....

its how we fare in the standings at the end of 16 games I am most concerned about.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I'm glad. We are a lock to win now.

The CBS football guys are atrocious... no former players and mostly clueless. I don't see how Bills are some consensus road favorite in this game. Not even close.

I was "trying" to imply I dont care what the media thinks after week 3 or 5....

its how we fare in the standings at the end of 16 games I am most concerned about.
    I'd prefer to get media love, that would mean the team is playing well... they will bury us after week 1 if the Bills come in here and beat us though. They're waiting to pounce, the team needs a strong showing

Hall Of Fame
    The CBS football guys are atrocious... no former players and mostly clueless. I don't see how Bills are some consensus road favorite in this game. Not even close.
    I know.

I LOVE when everyone picks against us. I like that the offense is getting disrespected. It makes things personal for the players and I think it gives them an edge.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by ctjetfan View Post
    I'm a 40+ year Jets fan, and I've never seen the media etc. trash us this bad.

We all know that if we do well, which I have a gut feeling we will, the media will do a 180 and be on their knees at Florham Park.

They're ( the media) so effin pathetic that I think if we start out 3-1, 4-2, they'll start unwrapping the knee pads.
    On their knees? Will they be making the trip to Seattle?

Gotta get some of that 4 suure

Banned
    Back in 85,86 The GIANTS went to 2 consecutive NFC Champ games. But in 86 they won and won the SB. Then again in 91, 08 and 2012. They dont seem to be disrespected that much.

When we win...it will stop.
    Great examples CPA.

The majority of Jets fan think that just getting to (and losing) 2 AFCCG's is some sort of significant accomplishment that deserves respect.

Hell, the Jets haven't even won an outright AFCE title in 14 years.

Add to that all of Ryan's outlandish claims, it's no wonder the Jets are treated as they are in the media.

All Pro
    I'm sorry, please try again. Rex himself guaranteed a Super Bowl win in 2009, 2010 and 2011. In how many of those years did the Jets win the Super Bowl, aka, live up to the hype? Did you say zero? Ah, ok. Now, like I said, you understand.
    Correction Rex guaranteed a ring in 2011 only

In 2009 all he said was he wasn't here to kiss BB's rings

In 2010 He wrote "soon to be champs" on the ESPN bus. He later clarified and said he thinks they will win soon, not necessarliy this season.

2011 was the only year he flat out said "I guarantee the Jets will win the Superbowl this season"