Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Most Wins in NFL During Rex's Tenure

Veteran
    Rex Ryan may not have a "textbook" style, however, I believe he will deliver a Super Bowl Title if the Jets' brass has the courage to stick with him. The Jets have had, and will continue to have, an elite defense during his tenure. It appears he may have built the defense he needs. He also knows that an average Jets' offense could be enough for a title. Think 2000 Ravens or the 2002 Bucs. Some might say the game has changed to a passing and scoring league since then, and they could be right... I believe the formula for an opportunistic offense and a suffocating defense still exists. Show the patience that Pittsburgh showed in Cowher and there is a solid chance it could pay off.

In case anyone cared Steve Phillips predicts Rex Ryan will be fired after this season.

Ofcourse no one cares. This is the same guy who wrecked his marriage to get with an intern who looks like Kevin James and traded for Mo Vaughn.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Before I answer the question, was Bill Belichick also the Jets coach from 2000-present and do the Jets have 3 SBs with him? Or did he start in 2009?
    That's not the point.

The question is: does an experienced head coach with a Super Bowl pedigree take the '09 or '10 Jets to the Super Bowl? Does Belichick get us 12 or 13 wins instead of the 9 or 11 we got? Does Coughlin's steady, disciplinarian style have us prepared to handle the Pittsburgh onslaught?

SAR I

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadFan View Post
    Rex Ryan may not have a "textbook" style, however, I believe he will deliver a Super Bowl Title if the Jets' brass has the courage to stick with him. The Jets have had, and will continue to have, an elite defense during his tenure. It appears he may have built the defense he needs. He also knows that an average Jets' offense could be enough for a title. Think 2000 Ravens or the 2002 Bucs. Some might say the game has changed to a passing and scoring league since then, and they could be right... I believe the formula for an opportunistic offense and a suffocating defense still exists. Show the patience that Pittsburgh showed in Cowher and there is a solid chance it could pay off.
    I think you're right.

Rex has flaws, certainly, but there's a lot of good in there too.

It still comes down to the players and the FO picking the right guys.

Can't afford big misses in the draft. Can't afford to completely ignore glaring weaknesses anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    That's not the point.

The question is: does an experienced head coach with a Super Bowl pedigree take the '09 or '10 Jets to the Super Bowl? Does Belichick get us 12 or 13 wins instead of the 9 or 11 we got? Does Coughlin's steady, disciplinarian style have us prepared to handle the Pittsburgh onslaught?

SAR I
    Below are the key plays for the first half. Can you please explain, how Rex failed us

1. Rex called the correct coverage on the opening drive to stop Pitts and get off the field on 3rd down....unfortuantely Cro (NOT REX) commited a defensive holding penalty, automatic 1st down, drive continues.

2. Heath Miller caught a questionable ball, Rex challenged, Play reversed

3. 2nd QTR Rex calls an excellent defensive play, covering the gaps and hitting mendenhall in the backfield....however the players (NOT REX) miss 2 tackles, and dont keep containment and mendenhall rumbles for a 30 yard run.

Our players didnt make plays or made mistakes in big situations, that Pitts took advantage of. You fault rex because that is your deal, you have nothing to back that up.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post

Our players didnt make plays or made mistakes in big situations, that Pitts took advantage of. You fault rex because that is your deal, you have nothing to back that up.
    The team did not get off the bus. They were as flat as a pancake, did not show any sense of urgency, spent all their energy celebrating the big Patriots win.

That's preparation, that's Rex.

SAR I

That's not the point.

SAR I
    You act as if the 2009 and 2010 teams, neither of which won the division, were the most talented team in the league. Has it ever occurred to you that, perhaps, Ryan coached both teams up? Sanchez was in his rookie and second season those years.

The team did not get off the bus. They were as flat as a pancake, did not show any sense of urgency, spent all their energy celebrating the big Patriots win.

SAR I
    Just so you know, everything you cited, is something that you cannot prove, dont know, and speaks to how the players "felt" which again, you have no idea if there was a sense of urgency or not.

These are grown men, successful athletes who have been playign the game their whole lives for a chance at a SB, if Rex needs to motiviate them before a game that could send them to the SB, then we need new players, not a new coach.

Rex made good defensive calls and won a challenge in the first half....he cant run on the field and make tackles

Just so you know, everything you cited, is something that you cannot prove, dont know, and speaks to how the players "felt" which again, you have no idea if there was a sense of urgency or not.

These are grown men, successful athletes who have been playign the game their whole lives for a chance at a SB, if Rex needs to motiviate them before a game that could send them to the SB, then we need new players, not a new coach.

Rex made good defensive calls and won a challenge in the first half....he cant run on the field and make tackles
    In the end IT IS the HCs responsibility to get the players motivated ... I don't disagree with your comment about pros not needing anyone to motivate them in an AFCCG, but the responsibility still resides with the HC. it's part of the job description. Not at all dissimilar to the blame being heaped on Sanchez ... At the end of the day ... Regardless of the situation he finds himself in ....he has to get it done somehow.

It's not always fair .. But there it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    In the end IT IS the HCs responsibility to get the players motivated ... I don't disagree with your comment about pros not needing anyone to motivate them in an AFCCG, but the responsibility still resides with the HC. it's part of the job description. Not at all dissimilar to the blame being heaped on Sanchez ... At the end of the day ... Regardless of the situation he finds himself in ....he has to get it done somehow.

It's not always fair .. But there it is.
    If you remember 3 years ago, the Pats hosted the ravens in a playoff game. Rice ripped an 80 yard run on the opening possession. Pats get ball, suggs sacks, brady, fumble, TD ravens....they went on to crush the pats at home.

Did BB not have his players "motivated" for that game? Did Brady exhibit poor leadership letting his team get stomped at home in the playoffs?

What exactly was the problem vs Pitts? Was Rex's pregame speech not strong enough? Were any of us at practice that week?

If you want to say the HC gets the blame for losses, fine, that of course is true. But this isnt PTI, this is a message board that is supposed to be compromised of fans that actually know what is going on. The HC has to take blame but there is a limit to what he can do, and Rex had a good gameplan vs Pitts as he did vs NE the prior week.

If you remember 3 years ago, the Pats hosted the ravens in a playoff game. Rice ripped an 80 yard run on the opening possession. Pats get ball, suggs sacks, brady, fumble, TD ravens....they went on to crush the pats at home.

Did BB not have his players "motivated" for that game? Did Brady exhibit poor leadership letting his team get stomped at home in the playoffs?

What exactly was the problem vs Pitts? Was Rex's pregame speech not strong enough? Were any of us at practice that week?

If you want to say the HC gets the blame for losses, fine, that of course is true. But this isnt PTI, this is a message board that is supposed to be compromised of fans that actually know what is going on. The HC has to take blame but there is a limit to what he can do, and Rex had a good gameplan vs Pitts as he did vs NE the prior week.
    I agree... But was it not HIS team that lost ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    I agree... But was it not HIS team that lost ?
    Again, I dont even think we are disagreeing, however I dont know what your statement means.

I agree that he gets credit for wins and blame for losses.

Say we had come out in a brand new look on defense (or offense) that failed miserably. Then Rex would actually deserve the blame.

Instead, he had good calls on, made a good in game challenge, and the players didnt execute.....he gets blame, but anyone with half a brain can see that he didnt actually do anything wrong

Again, I dont even think we are disagreeing, however I dont know what your statement means.

I agree that he gets credit for wins and blame for losses.

Say we had come out in a brand new look on defense (or offense) that failed miserably. Then Rex would actually deserve the blame.

Instead, he had good calls on, made a good in game challenge, and the players didnt execute.....he gets blame, but anyone with half a brain can see that he didnt actually do anything wrong
    I agree with everything you ate saying ... Problem is ... The guys that are in positions such as HC and QB to some degree, have to deal with the ramifications of overall team failures. That is all I am saying. I think we are on the same page.

Just so you know, everything you cited, is something that you cannot prove, dont know
    welcome to Arguing With Sar 101.

you will find that this course will take you nowhere but an endless stream of pointless discussion, since the aforementioned subject's argument is based purely on speculation and he will continue to change the basis of that speculation the moment he feels backed into a corner.

good luck. you will receive only one grade at the end of the season, but be warned that if you do not realize that Sar is just a troll you will be doomed to Pfail this course and will have no choice but to repeat it next fall.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

That's not the point.

SAR I
    No. The difference betweeen Belichick and Ryan or Coughlin is Tom Brady.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Piper View Post
    No. The difference betweeen Belichick and Ryan or Coughlin is Tom Brady.
    How can you even mention Rex in the same sentence as Belichick and Coughlin?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    How can you even mention Rex in the same sentence as Belichick and Coughlin?
    Did Moms let you sleep in this morning or did you have a half day at school?

Veteran

SAR I
    If all you can enjoy as a fan is perfection, well, in my book that's really too bad . . .

You hate Rex and we all get that. Who do want replacing him - I'd really like to know - not the type of coach - but what other coach in this league would you take right now to switch into Rex's spot??

I mean, if you have something to really say, let it out - otherwise it's just griping from where I am standing.

Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    If all you can enjoy as a fan is perfection, well, in my book that's really too bad . . .

You hate Rex and we all get that. Who do want replacing him - I'd really like to know - not the type of coach - but what other coach in this league would you take right now to switch into Rex's spot??

I mean, if you have something to really say, let it out - otherwise it's just griping from where I am standing.
    That is true, you can't want a coach fired yet not have an answer to who will be his replacement. There are a few negatives with Rex but I'm a believer that the positives outweigh them. Look at other head coaches in the league, we could do a lot worse. He's toned it down a little from past years...so far. The problem is I think Woody loves having a "celebrity" coach who is brash and reflects attention on his team. If the bottom falls out and we don't make the playoffs, I think Tanny goes and Rex stays.

That's not the point.

SAR I
    Maybe, possibly you could be right about the 2010 team. The Jets really stunk up the joint in Pittsburgh in the 1st half.

2009? You're on crack. The only reason the Jets made it to the AFC championship was because of Rex Ryan. That was pure, 100% coaching prowess and great scheming on the part of Rex Ryan.