Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Most Wins in NFL During Rex's Tenure

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    And what is that?

Paying other teams to sit their starters so the Jets could back into the playoffs?
    He got to "big games" by winning road playoff games which isnt easy.

Yes there were questionable circumstances for getting into the playoffs the first time, but not in 2010 when we beat manning and brady on the road.

Im so tired of these arguments....how many coaches (or QBs for that matter) have won on the road in New England and Indy. Its very hard to consistently win in the NFL, lets at least give them the chance to get to that point

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Many people here would have called for his head.
    And from SAR, "crickets"... Coughlin made mistakes in the opposite direction from Ryan and learned how to shift to the middle. Ryan is in the process of doing the same. The next couple of years will tell us a great deal about his capacity to grow and mature as a head coach.

I wouldn't have advocated the firing of Rex after last season. The two AFC Championship Game appearances looked awfully good for him after two years and you really couldn't complain about the results with those teams. However, if their record is worse than 8-8, things start to look a lot different. What we'll see is a coach inheriting a good team that failed to add talent and replace departed key contributors from that team. With a losing record and an above-average defense, Sanchez will probably have underperformed. The trading of picks and players in order to draft Sanchez also comes into question along with four years invested in a QB failure. The great defense/ball control offense we hear Rex talk about will also seem misguided in a league where no defense shuts offesnes down entirely with only two-to-three teams following a similar blueprint. Add all of those things together - and they're all entirely plausible on a 7-9 team - and Rex looks like a guy who did a pretty good job coaching teams put together by Mangini who failed to build a winning program himself.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    He got to "big games" by winning road playoff games which isnt easy.

Yes there were questionable circumstances for getting into the playoffs the first time, but not in 2010 when we beat manning and brady on the road.

Im so tired of these arguments....how many coaches (or QBs for that matter) have won on the road in New England and Indy. Its very hard to consistently win in the NFL, lets at least give them the chance to get to that point
    2010 was legitimate, especially with the wins in Foxboro and Indy.

2009 was a fluke, beginning how the Jets even got into the playoffs. Then in their first playoff game against the Chargers, you had an All Pro kicker missing 3 easy FG's.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Here are the only teams that have more wins then the Jets since Rex took over.

Saints, Packers, Patriots, Ravens and Steelers

The fact that people want him fired is beyond ridiculous.
    +1

A vast majority of our green brothers don't have long term memory. Remember when we would kill just to get in the playoffs? That was only 5 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    2010 was legitimate, especially with the wins in Foxboro and Indy.

2009 was a fluke, beginning how the Jets even got into the playoffs. Then in their first playoff game against the Chargers, you had an All Pro kicker missing 3 easy FG's.
    See, even TX can agree with this math.

Lets go a step further.

In the last 10 years, here are the teams to beat Indy at home in the playoffs: Jets, Pats, Pittsburgh, Chargers.

In the last 10 years, here are the teams to beat Pats at home in the playoffs: Jets, Ravens

Again....doesnt seem to me like a coach that should be fired
    Last edited by eaglenj; 09-05-2012 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    That should tell you something.

SAR I
    who should the Jets bring in?

Jon Gruden's last 3 years coaching
    4-12
    9-7
    9-7
    zero playoff appearances

Brian Billick's last 3 years coaching
    6-10
    13-3 (1 playoff win)
    5-11

YES they are the answer!
    It's not a fans job to find the new head coach. Fans don't watch the other 31 teams or their coaching staffs. The GM and his network is capable of knowing who is out there.

It is a fans job to assess the performance of the current head coach. We've watched every snap of all 54 of Rex Ryan's games and we're perfectly capable of seeing whether or not he's doing a good job.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

It is a fans job to assess the performance of the current head coach. SAR I
    LOL.

Just LOL

Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    Would you have fired tom Coughlin after his first three years as the Giants' coach? He had 6/10, 11/5 and 8/8 seasons. Never would have guessed that the next year he'd win the SB.
    Coughlin was already a rookie elsewhere, cut his teeth in Jacksonville, the Giants were his second experience.

Coughlin inherited the burned out remains of a Jim Fassel Super Bowl team being gutted due to age.

Coughlin never lost his team, never had the implosion that Ryan had.

So, no, I would not have fired Tom Coughlin.

SAR I

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Eric Mangini went 10-6, 4-12(due to injured qbs), the 9-7.

So if we can fire mangini coming off a winning season, why cant we can Rex if the team tanks this year?
    Al Groh
    Herman Edwards
    Eric Mangini
    Rex Ryan

All of them averaged a 9-7 record with a healthy quarterback. All of them. Rex Ryan is not something special. He's just another ho-hum Jets head coach. We'd not only still have gone to two AFCCG's with Ryan as only our defensive coordinator, but perhaps our head coach would have been something special and could have taken us to the promised land. Certainly would have fired Schitty after the disaster in Pittsburgh, might have made something of 2011 too, might have prevented another NYG ring.

SAR I

It's not a fans job to find the new head coach. Fans don't watch the other 31 teams or their coaching staffs. The GM and his network is capable of knowing who is out there.

It is a fans job to assess the performance of the current head coach. We've watched every snap of all 54 of Rex Ryan's games and we're perfectly capable of seeing whether or not he's doing a good job.

SAR I
    okay. was hoping your insight would help find us a head coach.

See, even TX can agree with this math.

In the last 10 years, here are the teams to beat Pats at home in the playoffs: Jets, Ravens

Again....doesnt seem to me like a coach that should be fired
    There is no point of having a head coach that can work magic in the playoffs if he can't get the team to win consistently during the regular season.

2009: Jets have a 1-6 streak during the entire months of October and November.

2010: Jets finish the season on a 2-3 run and need 4 miracle comebacks against terrible teams in which our supposedly elite defense gives up 4th quarter leads.

2011: Jets suffer through two 0-3 runs, the first against AFC wildcard competitors the second against teams with losing records.

If getting a Lombardi was all about cherry-picking the best accomplishments of Rex Ryan we'd all be happy right now. But it's not about past accomplishments; it's about future ability and Rex has not shown that he's a great leader, that he is plugged-into his team, that he's capable of influencing the offense, and (most-importantly) that he's capable of getting that day-in-day-out consistency that Belichick gets. The difference between the Jets and Patriots in years where we were competitive with them was that they beat their scrubs and amassed 12-13 wins whereas we blew gimmies to NFL low-lives which cost us a chance at a division.

SAR I

Coughlin was already a rookie elsewhere, cut his teeth in Jacksonville, the Giants were his second experience.

Coughlin inherited the burned out remains of a Jim Fassel Super Bowl team being gutted due to age.

SAR I
    Are you serious with this stuff.....your selective memory is so poor.

Since apparently you have NO CLUE WHATSOEVER what you are talking you should be reminded the team collapsed down the stretch, fans ripping Eli and Coughlin, and a complete locker room finger pointing scandal, culminating in Coughlin developing a Leadership Council (see what Rex did last week that you ripped apart)

If you want to rip the Team, at least be factual.

Below is from an article from Yahoo sports detailing the 2006 Giants failure when they lost 6 of their last 8.

Eli Manning. So far Eli Manning isn't the quarterback everyone expected him to be. Philip Rivers led the San Diego Chargers to the best record in the AFC, and the Chargers are currently favored to win the Super Bowl. Eli Manning needs to gain some confidence, to step up under pressure in the pocket, and not make so many bad throws. Early in the year, he proved fierce in the fourth quarter and excelled in the hurry-up offense. Maybe, like his brother Peyton, he'd do better in the hurry-up in all four quarters.

In-fighting. This goes without saying, but I'd be remiss not to at least mention it. The Giants need to keep from airing their dirty laundry. Whether it's Shockey throwing Coach Coughlin under the bus, Coughlin throwing Eli under, or Michael Strahan remarking about Plaxico's work ethic on the radio instead of in the locker room, it has to stop.

Penalties. Coach Coughlin was supposed to bring discipline to this team. Then why do the Giants lead the league in senseless penalties? This needs to be worked on again next preseason.

Tom Coughlin. I liked Coach Coughlin but clearly he can't get the job done. He did a hell of a lot for Tiki Barber, but Tiki Barber's gone in 2007. The Giants need a coach who can help develop their franchise quarterback, Eli Manning. A coach who can finally clean up the penalties. A coach who can keep order in the locker room. Coughlin has been re-signed by the Giants to a one-year deal through 2008. But don't expect him the finish the season if early on it becomes apparent that the Giants haven't cleaned up their act.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by batman10023 View Post

No, what SAR does is go into any thread, especially about Rex, take over the thread with his usual negative rant, killing the thread with the same old rant that is on the front page of the board god knows how many times.

3 years, no SB fire them. He'll spin every half baked theory why. No option, just get rid of them

He thinks he's a Steinbrenner and a football HC is as irrelevant as a pitching or batting coach.
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 09-05-2012 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    No, what SAR does is go into any thread, especially about Rex, take over the thread with his usual negative rant, killing the thread with the same old rant that is on the front page of the board god knows how many times.

3 years, no SB fire them. He'll spin every half baked theory why. No option, just get rid of them

He thinks he's a Steinbrenner and a football HC is as irrelevant as a pitching or batting coach.
    This is even worse though, because Coughlin had to go through the exact same issues with a young QB, impaitient fans and media, and locker room infighting and he realized he needed to change his ways.

EXACTLY what Rex is trying to do.

Some people just like being an internet blowhard.

Quote Originally Posted by batman10023 View Post
    What sent the Jets on the 15 year turnaround we're experiencing right now was an owner that suddenly grew balls, suddenly got ruthless, and raped the New England Patriots of the best head coach in the NFL. Turns out all it takes is a slap on the wrist and a few draft picks.

So, hmm.......I'll take Coughlin, Belichick, McCarthy, Tomlin, Harbaugh x2, Fisher, or Shanahan.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I disagree, he has the potential to be among the top 1/3. He is a top 3 if not #1 D coach but he has made some serious judgement errors and doesn't seem to know if he should be involved with the O or not. As I said if he and tanny learns from their blunders they will be a good team if they repeat them we will never get to the top.
    When I do my count I get to around 10-12 coaches that are better than Rex right now IMO. Not more than 12.

All Pro

SAR I
    Really i can rememeer Strahan and his defensive olayers not liking the getting to meeting earlier and what not.

Banned

So, hmm.......I'll take Coughlin, Belichick, McCarthy, Tomlin, Harbaugh x2, Fisher, or Shanahan.

SAR I
    No Reid or Kubiak?