Thread: Will Michelle Obama's speech change history?

Will Michelle Obama's speech change history?

Will Michelle Obama's speech change history?

By Gordon Stewart, Special to CNN

updated 9:04 AM EDT, Wed September 5, 2012

Editor's note: Gordon Stewart is former deputy chief speechwriter to President Jimmy Carter and currently moderator of TheNextDeal.org, an online project to revise the U.S. social contract for the 21st century.

(CNN) -- If Barack Obama is re-elected on November 6, he will owe more to his first lady than any president ever to win a second term.

On Tuesday night in Charlotte, North Carolina, Michelle Obama gave one of the finest speeches ever delivered at a national political convention. More important, it could have more impact on the immediate future of the country than her husband's celebrated 2004 keynote address to the Democratic National Convention in Boston. Why?

Her speech tied the Obamas' personal stories directly to the lives of millions of voters struggling not to be the first generation of Americans unable to offer hope of greater opportunities to their children than they had, thus drawing a contrast with Mitt Romney as an unnamed but unmistakable caricature of privilege without shading her talk with negativity or animosity.

What candidates' wives are telling us

In fact the overall emotion, and there was far more real as opposed to rhetorical emotion than any speech at this level in memory, was a feeling rarely conveyed in our political language today -- love.

Gordon Stewart

The first lady was not afraid to use the word love openly and often, in relation to working people of all classes, armed services families, immigrants, parents and especially to her husband and her children. And she was not afraid to show an emotional connection to her words in a performance that was as remarkable for its passion and sincerity as for its many quotable lines.

First family watches

Like humor, authentic feeling is risky business in historic addresses, but the rewards can be a level of connection and a sense of strength deeper than any amount of lectern-pounding can drive home.

But while these qualities, like the many others now being cited by commentators of all beliefs and backgrounds, help explain why the first lady's speech already has a place in the history books, they do not explain why it may actually change what will be written in them. Should that occur, it will be because almost for the first time in four years, she single-handedly brought Democrats to tears and to their feet at the idea of Barack Obama as president of the United States.

Because however much the Obama campaign seeks to deny it, the fact is that the priorities, conduct and accomplishments of the Obama administration have been a disappointment to many Democrats.

Some have said that Obama's political high-water mark might have been election night of 2008. Now four years later, he finds himself having to reinspire millions of citizens who feel that for too long he sought too many accommodations with those who did so much damage and who have always sought to destroy him.

Tuesday night, his wife with the singular American title of first lady may have opened a path for her husband back into the hearts of those who had such high hopes for his audacity.

It will be up to him whether to choose change over comity when a leader cannot have both, and win the opportunity to give a second inaugural address that will be better than his first, as perhaps a second term may be more successful on more fronts than his first. For as Mrs. Obama reminded the nation Tuesday night, "Being president doesn't change who you are. ... It reveals who you are."
    Seems her speech is getting quite good feedback from the media.

One comment I heard (On Alex Bennet on Sirius Left) was that she was spectacular and real, and he compared her to Ms. Romney whom Bennet felt was fake and insincere whilst also being a "mormon wife birthing babies" and generally being a stepford wife.

Also, the first lady is being continuously described as "hot" and "sexy" in many places today.....

Jets Insider VIP
    Did you happen to watch it, Fish?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post

One comment I heard (On Alex Bennet on Sirius Left) was that she was spectacular and real, and he compared her to Ms. Romney whom Bennet felt was fake and insincere whilst also being a "mormon wife birthing babies" and generally being a stepford wife.

Also, the first lady is being continuously described as "hot" and "sexy" in many places today.....
    Shocking.

Speech of fairytale?

Fact Check: First Lady's False Fairy Tale of Struggle

by Joel B. Pollak 5 Sep 2012, 5:58 AM PDT

First Lady Michelle Obama’s pitch to voters last night relied on the premise that she and her husband understand what it is to struggle to make ends meet. She spoke movingly about their early years--about how a young Barack Obama drove a car that was “rusted out" and found his furniture “in a dumpster,” how they both came from families that had to “scrape by.” Her fairy tale--however well-delivered--was one great, big, colorful lie.

Both Michelle Robinson and Barack Obama began their adult lives with a leg up on the rest of America. They attended elite schools: Michelle went to Whitney Young, the public magnet school for Chicago’s upper class, while Barack attended Punahou, the private prep school for the top stratum of Hawaiian society. They were accepted to Ivy League schools despite undistinguished credentials, and both attended Harvard Law School.

Believe it or not, when we were first married, our combined monthly student loan bills were actually higher than our mortgage,” Michelle said. That sounds like a raw deal--but in fact reflects their fortunate circumstances. They had both just graduated from a very expensive law school, and their combined income from cushy law firm jobs dwarfed the repayments. Barack also soon enjoyed a second salary from the University of Chicago.

They had expensive tastes, reflected in the $277,500 two-bedroom condo they bought in 1993--a high price even by today’s standards. Several years later, they moved into their $1.65 million mansion in Hyde Park--with the help of fraudster Tony Rezko. Barack often told a story of hardship on the campaign trail in 2008 about having his credit card declined--once. The fact that he thought this counted as real hardship speaks volumes.

As her husband moved onto the national political stage, Michelle Obama began to enjoy a lavish lifestyle at taxpayer expense, directly and indirectly. When Barack Obama was elected to the U.S. Senate, he obtained a $1 million earmark for the University of Chicago Hospital--and his wife’s salary as Vice President for Community Affairs jumped from $121,910 to $316,962. Her job: pushing poor, uninsured patients to other hospitals.

As First Lady, Michelle Obama has lived high on the hog while the rest of the country has suffered through an extraordinary recession. In 2010, she and her entourage decamped to Spain for a lavish vacation. That summer, the Obamas encouraged Americans to visit the Gulf coast after the Deepwater Horizon oil spill, which threatened tourism in the region. They promptly jetted off to Maine for their own summer holiday.

This summer, the Obamas skipped their usual summer trip to the wealthy playground of Martha’s Vineyard--months after Michelle and her daughters had enjoyed an expensive winter skiing trip in Aspen. And, of course, there are the frequent pilgrimages to Hawaii, Some of their family’s comfort, of course, comes from private income, principally Barack Obama’s book sales--yet even that wealth is a spin-off of Obama’s political career.

If, as the Democrats eagerly pointing out, Mitt Romney enjoyed the privilege of private wealth, the Obamas have enjoyed privilege funded by public money and public life. And until entering the national spotlight, they gave little to charity, contributing instead to a church that preached racial grievance. “[T]ruth matters,” Michelle Obama told the nation last night. That, too, is a lie--because so far, she has evaded it without consequence.

I'm sure the criminal liberal media has a team of fact checkers that will dwarf the army sent to Wasilla.....

PS.

Did anyone notice Moochelle's nose growing as her fairytale progressed?

Michelle Obama is a much better speaker than Anne Romney. It was a good speech. Some double-takes in there for me, as a non-partisan (casting her husband as someone who doesn't look to divide Americans and doesn't care what your party is), but Romney had similar "are you kidding me" moments (like talking about how she knows how hard it is for working mothers struggling to make ends meet), and Obama's speech was just much smoother and better delivered.

Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    Michelle Obama is a much better speaker than Anne Romney. It was a good speech. Some double-takes in there for me, as a non-partisan (casting her husband as someone who doesn't look to divide Americans and doesn't care what your party is), but Romney had similar "are you kidding me" moments (like talking about how she knows how hard it is for working mothers struggling to make ends meet), and Obama's speech was just much smoother and better delivered.
    Was a great speech... Moments like that were what led to their 1st win.

Great speaker, but like her husband full of crap. The only thing she loved to do is to tell everyone else what to do!

Great speech by Michelle. Not a believable one but it was written and delivered well. I only watched for a couple of minutes but I heard the part about how Barry stays up at night reading letters from citizens talking about their troubles and how he is so affected by these letters it inspires him to work to help etc. Does anyone really believe Barry stays up late reading letters from concerned citizens? The whole thing seemed like a croc of obambologna.

Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Did you happen to watch it, Fish?
    As with the (R) Convention, I wait for the highlight reel the next morning.

My tolerence for blatant Political Propagandaism a la Neurembrug (from both parties) is limited.

Jets Insider VIP
    On Tuesday night in Charlotte, North Carolina, Michelle Obama gave one of the finest speeches ever delivered at a national political convention.

stopped reading here. usual fapfest.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    Agree. It was a nicely delivered speech about what a good guy her husband is.

But to Fish(title of thread), what was historic about it?

Jets Insider VIP
    My tolerence for blatant Political Propagandaism a la Neurembrug (from both parties) is limited.
    Same here.

I was gonna watch it...but opted for reruns of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia"...

Same here.

I was gonna watch it...but opted for reruns of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia"...
    I played Guild Wars 2.

After I got home from school.

And I swear, I am NOT a 14 year old. I just act like one.

All Pro
    Same here.

You choose wisely.

All League
    Didn't watch it either. Started Breaking Bad s4 last night.

The speech has gotten a lot of attention though, figure I'll check it out at some point.

Tonight though, football is back. Friend of mine has two TV's setup at his house, we play madden '13 on one screen, pass around the controllers so everybody gets a series and have the game on the other screen.

Also got Miles Austin starting at the flex in FF tonight. Hoping that Cowboys o-line can give Romo enough time to feed Austin the ball.

Jets Insider VIP
    I played Guild Wars 2.

After I got home from school.

And I swear, I am NOT a 14 year old. I just act like one.
    lolz!

I really gotta dust off my PS3 and get some gaming in. I realized the other day I haven't played a game in almost a year. My $500 gaming system has been reduced to a streaming device for my kids Nickelodeon shows. I'm pretty sure it cries for me to put it out of it's misery at times...lol

Quote Originally Posted by brady's a catcher View Post
    You choose wisely.
    The system is a farce. I mean...really?

Really?

We know who the nominee is for the Dems. You had to spend a billion dollars on some charade of a nomination for a result we are all expecting? Conventions are just an excuse for the ruling class to pat themselves on the back and have orgies with donated money. Even the Pub one was a farce. It was no secret that Romney was getting nominated.

How about both you a**holes save your money and start being f*cking specific about what you want to do...instead of all of this mastabatory circle jerking we have to stomach.

Who gives a f*ck what the wives think?

All Pro
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4580992]lolz!

I really gotta dust off my PS3 and get some gaming in. I realized the other day I haven't played a game in almost a year. My $500 gaming system has been reduced to a streaming device for my kids Nickelodeon shows. I'm pretty sure it cries for me to put it out of it's misery at times...lol

Really?

We know who the nominee is for the Dems. You had to spend a billion dollars on some charade of a nomination for a result we are all expecting? Conventions are just an excuse for the ruling class to pat themselves on the back and have orgies with donated money. Even the Pub one was a farce. It was no secret that Romney was getting nominated.

How about both you a**holes save your money and start being f*cking specific about what you want to do...instead of all of this mastabatory circle jerking we have to stomach.

Who gives a f*ck what the wives think?[
    /QUOTE]

Excellent summation PK. I think I watch Chris Matthews slurping Dem wang just so I can picture whacking him in the melon with a crow bar. And then you have Fox with their alternate views on reality.

But, almost time for new Sunny!

lolz!

I really gotta dust off my PS3.....
    PC > Console

Just say'in.

Although with Kids, you may as well abandon the entire idea of sillyness liek gaming tbh.

Really?

Agreed, generally speaking.

Although if we follow PK rules of Hypocricy, it's worse for the Dems who say they stand for helping the little guy/poor. They should, in their own ideals, be giving that billion to the poor instead and holding a very economical "here is our guy" press release.

The (R) stand for Corporate greed, not the poor (right?), so them wasting billion of corporate money is.....consistent with their platform, isn't it?

Jets Insider VIP

Excellent post, good sir!