Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Jets Defense - GET AMPED

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

2012 Jets Defense - GET AMPED

I know most people on here are pretty confident this year's D will be looking good, but in the name of giving the forum some more positive threads, here are some reasons to get absolutely psyched about the Defense we're going tobe rolling out this year:

In short, we've upgraded at almost every single position:

Landry/Bell - If you don't think this is a huge upgrade over Leonard and Smith...you don't have a pulse. Landry is a decently fast playmaker who (to use a cliche) is quite literally built like a linebacker...and a scary one at that.

Revis Island/AlCromtraz - STILL probably the best CB duo in the league. Crom gets a lot of flack on the boards here but he's also getting thrown at a hell of a lot more than most #2 CBs and still keeps opposing WR numbers low. Revis...he's simply the best...enough said.

D-Line - Coples has looked absolutely beastly this pre-season, yes it's the pre-season, but you can't deny the guy has got talent and a skill set few DEs possess. The development of Kenrick Ellis is possibly the most exciting point of the off-season, he's beginning to show the raw physical ability he was drafted for. And another season under Mo Wilk's belt will only help the kid. The D-line is finally going to be more than just run stoppers, they're going to be collapsing pockets all day.

Linebackers - Possibly the least "improved" of the bunch, yet that assertion should be tempered considering the improvements listed above. Harris will be Harris, tackling all over the field, Bart looks to be in incredible shape, and will hopefully play much faster, and personally I'm very excited to see Demario Davis get in there and show off his speed in passing situations. His ceiling is very high, but it will likely take a few seasons before he becomes a force, still though, his athleticism will only help keep the other insiders fresh by rotating in during some passing situations

While I'm not so high on Pace and Maybin as some people might be (more so maybin than pace), these guys will be able to get better pressure considering the upgrades in the d-line. Still though, this looks to be the next area of improvement for us in years to come.

I'm thinking we're gonna be top 2 in the league this year, especially since the re-devotion to ground and pound will likely control the clock more and stop the D from taking the field on 3 and outs all day.

So if you've got some Jets D love you haven't gotten to express quite yet, go for it. Today marks the beginning of the NFL season, and I couldn't be any more psyched.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Lets Party Like It's Two Thousand Nine!!!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by endgameeugenics View Post
    Lets Party Like It's Two Thousand Nine!!!
    Ohhhhh yeah buddy, but this year it's gonna be BIGGER and BETTER!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The hype Landry gets on this forum is absolutely hilarious. The guy is someone that no one else really wanted. There is a reason why he signed a ONE YEAR contract. Tannenbaum wanted Reggie Nelson and Brandon Meriweather but neither signed, so he went after Landry. The guy has missed 15 games in the last two years, and is a shell of what he looked in college. He's good against the run, but he struggles against fast receivers, and TE's.

The hype over him is retarded.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is by far the most talented defense in the Rex Ryan era. If we were top 5 with middling players, we should be top 2 with the talent we have stockpiled (notably Coples, Ellis, Landry and Maybin) to go along with Revis/Harris/Cro/Pouha.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    This is by far the most talented defense in the Rex Ryan era. If we were top 5 with middling players, we should be top 2 with the talent we have stockpiled (notably Coples, Ellis, Landry and Maybin) to go along with Revis/Harris/Cro/Pouha.
    OMG. lmao.

Landry and Maybin made me spit my coffee out. Yeah a S that no one else wanted and signed a one year deal and has been injured 15 games out of the last 30 and a LB that no one else wanted and is situation at best is the great talent? Great for a good laugh.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by daquix View Post
    The hype Landry gets on this forum is absolutely hilarious. The guy is someone that no one else really wanted. There is a reason why he signed a ONE YEAR contract. Tannenbaum wanted Reggie Nelson and Brandon Meriweather but neither signed, so he went after Landry. The guy has missed 15 games in the last two years, and is a shell of what he looked in college. He's good against the run, but he struggles against fast receivers, and TE's.

The hype over him is retarded.
    1. Teams stayed away because of his injury history. If he's healthy, he's much better then Nelson and Meriweather.

2. Landry chose to sign a one year contract. It's what he and his agent prefered so he can prove himself and test FA next year with the hopes of getting a big deal.

3. The point of this thread was the upgrades we made on D. If we signed you, it would've been a major upgrade at safety. Landry is a huge upgrade!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    OMG. lmao.

Landry and Maybin made me spit my coffee out. Yeah a S that no one else wanted and signed a one year deal and has been injured 15 games out of the last 30 and a LB that no one else wanted and is situation at best is the great talent? Great for a good laugh.
    Didn't realize signing a FA in the offseason means that no one wanted him...especially since the Jets have had a record of nabbing some of the top FA in the Rex Ryan Era. He certainly does have some injury issues, but even sitting on the bench he's worth more than eric smith (that was a joke before you get your flame thrower ready).

And like I said, I'm not as high on Maybin as some people are, but he proved he can be productive in limited play, that's a nice plus for sure. He is situational, but I'll take 6 sacks a year from a situational player any day.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    OMG. lmao.

Turns out you are a Bills fan that has nothing better to do than attack Jets fans. Which is understandble considering how bad your team has been the last few years. I assume we won't hear from you after the Jets win on Sunday and you guys start planning, once again, for next years draft.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really really hope Landry can stay healthy this season. He will be a HUGE playmaker if he can. He played some good centerfield in the preseason, and also blew up some runs playing in the box.....

I think Mo Wilk will be a BEAST this season. Coples will have a nice rookie season.

I would like to see Demario Davis develop over the course of the season, along with Maybin. I think K.Ellis, Pouha, Coples and Mo will do a good job of freeing him up.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    OMG. lmao.

STFU troll. Apparently you weren't paying attention when Landry seperated Brandon Lefell from the football a couple weeks ago. Obviously you missed the hit Landry put on Victor Cruz.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    OMG. lmao.

Actually "great talent" would be the perfect way to describe landry as that is exactly what he is. Then we can simply read your post where you refute yourself by failing to discredit his talent, and instead mention his injury risk which is exactly why he was a risky signing that other teams sheid away from.

Side note - Mike Shanahan called him the most talented defesive player he has ever coached.

So to summarize - If HEALTHY, then he is a HUGE upgrade in talent. Good post though!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    OMG. lmao.

Lmao, what's funny is that this post made me chuckle.

Landry will be a BEAST this season if he stays healthy, make no question abt it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not to mention that we got quite a few young defensive players who should definitely develop in comparison to last year or over the course of the season. Think of Coples, Bush, Maybin, Wilkerson, Harrison, Davis and even Wilson. We got a great mix between veterans (Pouha, BT, Pace, Scott, Bell), guys in their prime (Cro, Harris, Landry, Revis, DeVito) and the young guys I mentioned...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

as great as this defense may be, just be prepared for an offense that is equally bad...

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Baddniss View Post
    as great as this defense may be, just be prepared for an offense that is equally bad...
    Honestly, if we can get some decent play at RT (yes big if) then I see our offense being very effective. I have confidence that with protection and 3 years under his belt, sanchez will improve, not to pro-bowl levels, but will improve. And with this D, all we'll have to do is control some clock and lessen the 3-and-outs and theres no reason that we can't have an effective offense.

If you're looking for a Houston style offense that's going to outscore 3/4 of their schedule, find another team. If you like the Baltimore/San Fran style of smashmouth football, this might just be your team for 2012.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by endgameeugenics View Post
    STFU troll. Apparently you weren't paying attention when Landry seperated Brandon Lefell from the football a couple weeks ago. Obviously you missed the hit Landry put on Victor Cruz.
    You mean in the pre-season? Against a ROOKIE? Trent Edwards looked pretty stealthy in the pre-season too.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    Lmao, what's funny is that this post made me chuckle.

Landry will be a BEAST this season if he stays healthy, make no question abt it.
    Right, right, because he has ever been a beast in the NFL. Oh wait, he hasn't.

Landry was Tannenbaum THIRD choice. Think about that for a minute.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    One thing about Maybin, I expect him to be much more productive this year simply because the interior d-line will be getting more penetration.

If Ellis, Wilk and Couples get a bigger push inside Maybin's outside speed rush becomes MUCH more impactful as the QB won't be able to step up into the pocket to avoid him. Either get taken out by Maybin or run into the backs of his O-line.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am excited about the D as well. Ironically though, when it comes down to it we will need our O to sustain drives for our D to rank in the top few. If we keep sending them out on the field yards and points will accumulate. I have a feeling though that we might just move the ball better then many expect and we will have an effective plan when in the red zone.