Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Jets Defense - GET AMPED

I'm hard.

Quote Originally Posted by daquix View Post
    Right, right, because he has ever been a beast in the NFL. Oh wait, he hasn't.

Landry was Tannenbaum THIRD choice. Think about that for a minute.
    He was also a top 20 draft pick, just because he was a third option doesn't mean he's not a good option, or an incredible upgrade. There's no reasoning to that assertion. James Harrison went undrafted and was passed on by countless teams in subsequent seasons before he was a defensive force or the DPOY.

Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    One thing about Maybin, I expect him to be much more productive this year simply because the interior d-line will be getting more penetration.

If Ellis, Wilk and Couples get a bigger push inside Maybin's outside speed rush becomes MUCH more impactful as the QB won't be able to step up into the pocket to avoid him. Either get taken out by Maybin or run into the backs of his O-line.
    Totally agree with that. Our D-Line pressure should do wonders for the LB corp.

The hype Landry gets on this forum is absolutely hilarious. The guy is someone that no one else really wanted. There is a reason why he signed a ONE YEAR contract. Tannenbaum wanted Reggie Nelson and Brandon Meriweather but neither signed, so he went after Landry. The guy has missed 15 games in the last two years, and is a shell of what he looked in college. He's good against the run, but he struggles against fast receivers, and TE's.

The hype over him is retarded.
    The only reason "no one wanted him" was because of the uncertainty of his injury. The guy is an animal hen healthy, everyone knows that. If he plays all 16 games, he'll probably be an All-Pro in this D. This D has been looking for a playmaking safety since Rex got here.

OMG. lmao.

Landry and Maybin made me spit my coffee out. Yeah a S that no one else wanted and signed a one year deal and has been injured 15 games out of the last 30 and a LB that no one else wanted and is situation at best is the great talent? Great for a good laugh.
    Go away troll. They are both great talents. If no one else wanted them, more kudos to the Jets.

Quote Originally Posted by Baddniss View Post
    as great as this defense may be, just be prepared for an offense that is equally bad...
    Stop believing what you read from "experts" and see in practice games. Wait for the real games to start before you judge. No reason to think the O won't improve with Sanchez in a better system for him.

Veteran
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed with Landry staying healthy. Without him the Jets will lose a dynamic player..

All Pro
    The hype Landry gets on this forum is absolutely hilarious. The guy is someone that no one else really wanted. There is a reason why he signed a ONE YEAR contract. Tannenbaum wanted Reggie Nelson and Brandon Meriweather but neither signed, so he went after Landry. The guy has missed 15 games in the last two years, and is a shell of what he looked in college. He's good against the run, but he struggles against fast receivers, and TE's.

Hey, Mr. Positive. He only got a one year deal because he is always hurt, not because he's bad. If he stays healthy, it's a great signing. It cracks me up how personally some of the negative nellies and debbie downers take it when people get excited about a player.

All Pro

How did you fit in Mr. T's head, brainiac?

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Valid reasons to be amped about our D....I watched the first team all pre season and while playing a "Vanilla" defense they looked solid. Most refreshing player to watch all pre season was Coples....regardless of the competition he played against, the dude is a rookie and looked darn good.

As for upgrades....our secondary will be sick.....Landry and Bell are the real deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegi5894 View Post
    I know most people on here are pretty confident this year's D will be looking good, but in the name of giving the forum some more positive threads, here are some reasons to get absolutely psyched about the Defense we're going tobe rolling out this year:

In short, we've upgraded at almost every single position:

Landry/Bell - If you don't think this is a huge upgrade over Leonard and Smith...you don't have a pulse. Landry is a decently fast playmaker who (to use a cliche) is quite literally built like a linebacker...and a scary one at that.

Revis Island/AlCromtraz - STILL probably the best CB duo in the league. Crom gets a lot of flack on the boards here but he's also getting thrown at a hell of a lot more than most #2 CBs and still keeps opposing WR numbers low. Revis...he's simply the best...enough said.

D-Line - Coples has looked absolutely beastly this pre-season, yes it's the pre-season, but you can't deny the guy has got talent and a skill set few DEs possess. The development of Kenrick Ellis is possibly the most exciting point of the off-season, he's beginning to show the raw physical ability he was drafted for. And another season under Mo Wilk's belt will only help the kid. The D-line is finally going to be more than just run stoppers, they're going to be collapsing pockets all day.

Linebackers - Possibly the least "improved" of the bunch, yet that assertion should be tempered considering the improvements listed above. Harris will be Harris, tackling all over the field, Bart looks to be in incredible shape, and will hopefully play much faster, and personally I'm very excited to see Demario Davis get in there and show off his speed in passing situations. His ceiling is very high, but it will likely take a few seasons before he becomes a force, still though, his athleticism will only help keep the other insiders fresh by rotating in during some passing situations

While I'm not so high on Pace and Maybin as some people might be (more so maybin than pace), these guys will be able to get better pressure considering the upgrades in the d-line. Still though, this looks to be the next area of improvement for us in years to come.

I'm thinking we're gonna be top 2 in the league this year, especially since the re-devotion to ground and pound will likely control the clock more and stop the D from taking the field on 3 and outs all day.

So if you've got some Jets D love you haven't gotten to express quite yet, go for it. Today marks the beginning of the NFL season, and I couldn't be any more psyched.

Hall Of Fame
    where is the hype on this board for Landry? All I have seen all pre season is a very solid and scary safety.

You mean in the pre-season? Against a ROOKIE? Trent Edwards looked pretty stealthy in the pre-season too.
    A 3rd rounder from the 2010 draft... He ain't a rookie. and even if he was what the f*** difference does it make?

Landry is an upgrade and you look retarded when you make the argument that Landry isn't an upgrade. He won't struggle in coverage because he won't be asked to cover WRs. And opposing QBs won't have time to watch recievers run down the field. Landry's faster, more physical, and he's a better athlete than Eric Smith/Jim Leonhard.

I'm sorry it's just that I get caught up in all these threads. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

Hall Of Fame
    I get it now...you are upset that your Bills (Jills) spent a #1 pick on Maybin and he did nothing....Jets got him for nothing and he is making plays...lol Oh I get it now!

You mean in the pre-season? Against a ROOKIE? Trent Edwards looked pretty stealthy in the pre-season too.

All Pro

LMAO, troll

And if you go back and read the articles Tanny really wanted Nelson AND Landry.... Nelson used us to up the offer from the Bengals so we ended up with Landry, then signed Bell because we didn't Nelson

Oh boy, a blowhard ignorant Bills troll, well, we don't get many of them around here, so welcome.

Second, get your facts stragith

The Jets didn't target Meriweather, they targeted Nelson and Landry, they had both in their offices within hours of each other, and with a couple of day period.

Don't be a tool and lecture us on a player we know full well about, we know his injury history, and dont' sit there and tell us how Landry is now as a playere compared to college because NOBODY has seen him healthy yet since his injury, and if the 3rd pre-season game agains the Panthers is any indication, I look forward to taking a shovel of crow and shoving it down your throat.

Nobody is overhyping him, if healthy, Landry is one of the better safeties in the league, and the Jets haven't had a player of his talent ever. He's got to be healthy though, we'll see.

And btw, no team was going to give Landry more than a 1 year deal, that isn't because of his ability as a player, it's because of his injury history.

Now run a long and get a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    Stop believing what you read from "experts" and see in practice games. Wait for the real games to start before you judge. No reason to think the O won't improve with Sanchez in a better system for him.
    +1

Hall Of Fame
    Some advice....stop while you are ahead...I am just saving you from yourself....you are ooking bad but providing us with some great comedy.

I hope so.

Our starting Lb's can't cover and Wilson looked like crap in coverage. There are going to be a lot of Tums filled Sundays with this team.

I know your just trolling but I'll bite, Actually four teams were looking at Landry, Pats, Eagles, Lions, Jets. His health has been the issue not his talent. "If" he remains healthy he's a huge upgrade over any other S since Rex came here. He's had a great preseason thats why you see the Landry ball washing. Also we needed to sign 2 safeties so if they had signed Nelson then Bell probably wouldn't be here. I think Landry would of been here anyway since both Nelson and Landry came in same weekend in march and Landry signed the next day after his visit. Bell signed in April. So don't try to act like we settled for Landry because Nelson chose Cincy.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Good d dont mean chit with no o. but killing is fun.

I think they are going to be number 1 overall. I've been watching this team for as long as I can remember. I can honestly say, barring injury, this is the most talented defense since the sack exchange of the early '80's.