Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Holmes: Tebow deal initially floored Sanchez

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Much ado about nothing. Amazing how so many suckers eat this crap up.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    Perhaps you should read the entire article.
    ---------------------------------------------------------

"I think since Day 1 it was a focus that kind of rattled him a little," the veteran wide receiver said. "I use that word only to say that, 'Wow, how did this happen?' Those were words that came out of his mouth."

Actually, Holmes made the comment in the context of a compliment, praising Sanchez for the way he has handled Tebow-Mania. Perhaps the most stunning aspect of the story is that Holmes, of all people, gave Sanchez a pep talk on that fateful day.

"I basically said to him, 'This is (your) team, you're the starting quarterback, Tebow is here to help us win games,'" said Holmes, claiming he was repeating what Rex Ryan had told him about the trade.

"Those were the exact words I gave to Mark, to give him a sense of security ..."

WOW! What a trouble maker!!!
    Great point. In this day and age it is very east to get caught up in sound bites and twitter exerts from an article. When you read the entire article and see the quotes in their context, things do not seem as negative as they do.

I am pretty sure the whole team was surprised by the Tebow trade. The fact he used the word "rattled" is what everyone is running with, these players are not writers and they use words and phrases that sometimes do not make sense.

Perhaps you should read the entire article.
    ---------------------------------------------------------

"I think since Day 1 it was a focus that kind of rattled him a little," the veteran wide receiver said. "I use that word only to say that, 'Wow, how did this happen?' Those were words that came out of his mouth."

Actually, Holmes made the comment in the context of a compliment, praising Sanchez for the way he has handled Tebow-Mania. Perhaps the most stunning aspect of the story is that Holmes, of all people, gave Sanchez a pep talk on that fateful day.

"I basically said to him, 'This is (your) team, you're the starting quarterback, Tebow is here to help us win games,'" said Holmes, claiming he was repeating what Rex Ryan had told him about the trade.

"Those were the exact words I gave to Mark, to give him a sense of security ..."

WOW! What a trouble maker!!!
    The point is that he repeated a private conversation. If Sanchez's reaction was "bring him on" or "this is my team" and Holmes discussed Sanchez reaction to the media it would be bad enough, but with him giving Sanchez a "Pep talk for a feeling of security" is stupid.

Holmes did throw a bunch of compliments toward Sanchez in that interview, which is great.

But didn't like that Holmes shared Sanchez's comments with the media, just thought it was not needed. Holmes has to know by now the media will bypass any compliments if there is a juicier comment, ie. one that can be construed as controversial. Like the part when Holmes used the word "rattled" when discussing the Sanchez/Tebow situation. Just kind of a head scratcher by Holmes.

Really not a huge deal, but just more unnecessary exposure. But it's just going to be another instance when the next time Sanchez meets with the media, the questions will be about the locker room and not stuff on the field, which where the focus needs to be now. But, as usual, Sanchez will say the PC thing. Just win Sunday and get the focus on football.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    Holmes did throw a bunch of compliments toward Sanchez in that interview, which is great.

But didn't like that Holmes shared Sanchez's comments with the media, just thought it was not needed. Holmes has to know by now the media will bypass any compliments if there is a juicier comment, ie. one that can be construed as controversial. Like the part when Holmes used the word "rattled" when discussing the Sanchez/Tebow situation. Just kind of a head scratcher by Holmes.

Really not a huge deal, but just more unnecessary exposure. But it's just going to be another instance when the next time Sanchez meets with the media, the questions will be about the locker room and not stuff on the field, which where the focus needs to be now. But, as usual, Sanchez will say the PC thing. Just win Sunday and get the focus on football.
    Exactly the issue. Learn from the NFL's best: STFU unless you have something nice to say about your teammates.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    The point is that he repeated a private conversation. If Sanchez's reaction was "bring him on" or "this is my team" and Holmes discussed Sanchez reaction to the media it would be bad enough, but with him giving Sanchez a "Pep talk for a feeling of security" is stupid.

Interestingly enough I do not see anything in the article that says Holmes' conversation with Sanchez was highly classified and was not to be repeated. Again much ado about nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    When you take out the sensationalistic language "floored" etc. and the massive editorializing to spin this as a major disclosure, it's actual a rather simple, tame and perfectly predictable comment. I will say that all of the Jets, including Ryan, need to understand that the media is not their friend and will exploit them to the maximum to create a story, sometimes out of almost nothing. Better to walk softly and carry a big stick.
    This deserves to be quoted many times.

Really don't understand what the big deal is.

This team is incapable of keeping anything in house.

Interestingly enough I do not see anything in the article that says Holmes' conversation with Sanchez was highly classified and was not to be repeated. Again much ado about nothing.
    When it differs from Sanchez "official" reaction to the trade, It just shows another example of holmes not towing the party line.

"We're adding another player and we're not replacing anybody," Sanchez said during a conference call from California. "I mean, he's here to help us and I'm confident in my abilities. I know the team feels the same way about me. They have belief in me. ... I'm not worried about losing my spot."

A qb does not want his teammates or fans of the team thinking he needed to be given a pep talk to ease his feelings of security.

Is this really a story? Sanchez was surprised the Jets signed Tebow...who wasn't?

Quote Originally Posted by JFB View Post
    Is this really a story? Sanchez was surprised the Jets signed Tebow...who wasn't?
    Yup, and its funny that stuff like this drives SOJF's crazy but I bet sanchez couldn't care less about these comments (taken in context). Its rather pathetic to see SOJF's falling hook line and sinker into the media's trap.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    When it differs from Sanchez "official" reaction to the trade, It just shows another example of holmes not towing the party line.

"We're adding another player and we're not replacing anybody," Sanchez said during a conference call from California. "I mean, he's here to help us and I'm confident in my abilities. I know the team feels the same way about me. They have belief in me. ... I'm not worried about losing my spot."

A qb does not want his teammates or fans of the team thinking he needed to be given a pep talk to ease his feelings of security.
    This team is not in KGB/Belichick lock down mode. This entire story is a big pile of nothing. Things were taken out of context to make the story sound controversial and all of the sheep are eating it up.

Jets Insider VIP
    While I don't think the article is a big deal, Holmes does have the potential to be the next Keyshawn and I mean that in the worst way possible.

Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    While I don't think the article is a big deal, Holmes does have the potential to be the next Keyshawn and I mean that in the worst way possible.
    It's been a while but I think I liked Keyshawn more than Santonio.

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Yup, and its funny that stuff like this drives SOJF's crazy but I bet sanchez couldn't care less about these comments (taken in context). Its rather pathetic to see SOJF's falling hook line and sinker into the media's trap.
    The biggest issue here is Santonio's lack of command of the English language.

There is a big difference between saying someone was surprised and someone was floored but I can almost guarantee he doesn't know that. I would bet money on it.

It's like interchanging the words big and enormous.

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Your synopsis leaves out the fact that Sanchez obviously confided in Holmes, and Holmes, obviously, relayed what Sanchez said to the media. Most people understand that you just don't do that.
    and just like the cherry-picking media, you focus strictly on the most negative aspect of Santonio's comments and ignore everything else that he said, which was actually quite positive and sheds a new light on how Holmes may be evolving as a player and leader.

I don't think this bothers Sanchez or the Jets in any way.

If a guy like Mangold mused it no problem, some players have the moral authority to make statements. If it is a quitting, back stabbing malcontent of a #2 Wr masquerading as a #1 guy who has been in trouble before he should stfu.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    this is what Holmes said:

- Sanchez was shocked by the Tebow trade (so was the rest of the planet)

- Holmes and Rex both support Sanchez as the starting QB and team leader, Tebow is seen as a role player not a replacement (positive)

- Tebow trade lit a fire under Sanchez who has stepped his game up both on and off the field (positive)

- Tone is a firm believer in Sanchez's potential, young QB was a big reason why he stayed with Jets (positive)

- he now realizes that he's a veteran leader of this team and can't demand other guys step up if he doesn't do it himself (positive)

I guess I don't get the outrage
    Dirt, that was what Holmes TRIED to say. You can understand the intent, and he does seem to try to support Sanchez but it still came off as a subtle diss of both Sanchez and Tebow.

Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Dirt, that was what Holmes TRIED to say. You can understand the intent, and he does seem to try to support Sanchez but it still came off as a subtle diss of both Sanchez and Tebow.
    I agree that he's not the most eloquent guy, which facilitates the media cherry-picking his quotes and spinning it in a completely different direction.

but the concern that this will somehow affect the locker room 3 days before the opener is completely unfounded. Holmes clearly (tried to) conveyed his support of Sanchez and that the trade, while initially a shock to Mark, seems to have lit a spark that will make him a better leader and player.

IMHO, this is a much bigger deal to the fans and media than it is to the Jets.

This team is not in KGB/Belichick lock down mode. This entire story is a big pile of nothing. Things were taken out of context to make the story sound controversial and all of the sheep are eating it up.
    Maybe not full lockdown, but Rex did talk to holmes about him speaking to the media and for him to reel it in.

It is no big shakes, but it is just another example of Holmes going his own way, making himself look good at the expense of a teammate.

No one here thought that the jets would bring in Tebow and I am sure Mark was "shocked" to hear of it. But for Holmes to say that Sanchez was in the dumps and needed a pep talk was stupid, contradicting what mark publicly said after the trade.
    Last edited by patman; 09-06-2012 at 10:19 AM.