Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dems have hard time adding God to platform with multiple votes

Jets Insider VIP

Dems have hard time adding God to platform with multiple votes

After the opening gavel called the Convention to order, Ohio Gov. Ted Strickland took to the podium to update the Democratic platform, a seemingly administrative move. "I am here to attest and affirm that our faith and belief in God is central to the American story and informs the values we've expressed in our party's platform," Strickland, who chaired the party's platform committee, read. "In addition, President Obama recognizes Jerusalem as the capital of Israel and our party's platform should as well."
    Greeted with a chorus of No's!

They had to take the vote 3 times and then arbitrarily seemed to decide they heard more Yes than No votes.

The RNC had it's own issues with Ron Paul supporters and votes but you'd think God would be a slightly easier guest to invite to a Convention!
    Last edited by jetstream23; 09-05-2012 at 08:31 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...ree/?hpt=hp_t1

Convention floor chaos: Democrats alter platform, disagree
    Posted byCNN's Kevin Liptak

(CNN) In a rare display of just how quickly a tightly scripted national political convention can unwind, Democrats on Wednesday struggled to complete a voice vote amending their party platform to include language referring to Jerusalem and God.

It took three attempts from Democratic National Convention Chairman Antonio Villaraigosa before the platform was amended, and a loud chorus of delegates yelling "no" met each attempt to pass the changes by voice vote.

Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Check out the CNN Electoral Map and Calculator and game out your own strategy for November.

Observers were dubious - at best - as to whether the affirmative votes outweighed those in the negative, much less reached the two-thirds vote required. Regardless, the chairman ruled in favor of the amendments.

The change was proposed by Ohio Gov. Ted Strickland immediately after the convention was gaveled into order on Wednesday.

"I am here to attest and affirm that our faith and belief in God is central to the American story and informs the values we've expressed in our party's platform," Strickland, who chaired the party's platform committee, read. "In addition, President Obama recognizes Jerusalem as the capital of Israel and our party's platform should as well."

With the language read before the delegates, Villaraigosa asked if there was any further discussion. His question was met with silence.

The Los Angeles mayor moved then to the voice vote.

"All those delegates in favor say aye," Villaraigosa said. A loud chorus of "ayes" ensued.

"All those delegates opposed say no," he continued. Loud "nos" came from some of the delegates.

Villaraigosa initially began moving forward in the proceedings, but stopped himself to re-take the voice vote.

"Let me do that again," he said. "All of those delegates in favor say aye."

Again a loud chorus of "ayes" reverberated in the convention hall.

"All those delegates opposed say no," he said to a wave of "nos."

At this point, Villaraigosa appeared confused. A woman emerged on stage, and the podium microphone captured her saying "they're going to do what they're going to do."

Trying for a third time, Villaraigosa said "I'll do that one more time."

With similar-sounding amounts of "yeas" and "nos" coming from the crowd, Villaraigosa declared, "In the opinion of the chair, two-thirds have voted, the motion is adopted and the platform has been amended as shown on the screen."

Fred Hoffman, a delegate from Dearborn, Michigan, said the vote went too quickly and the amendments were not explained well enough before the convention moved to a vote.

"I think a lot of people viewed them as clean-up amendments - things they just forgot as they were putting stuff together - and they said, 'OK, we need to put these back in,'" Hoffman said.

Jamana Judeh, a second Michigan delegate, said she was happy yesterday when she heard that the Jerusalem issue had been taken out of the platform.

"Everybody feels good, that finally, maybe, the party is acknowledging us," Judeh said, referring to the 55-member Arab American delegation at the convention.

While Judeh was not on the floor for the vote at the time, she said she would have yelled "no" if she were present.

"I would have yelled and screamed and said no. That's wrong. There's absolutely no reason for it," she said.

Kalimah Salahuddin, a 36-year-old delegate from Pacifica, California, said she voted against it because she felt like it needed further discussion.

"I was actually pretty surprised. I thought I was going to be the only one in saying no in California," she said.

She, like many, said it was too difficult to tell if there really was a two-thirds vote.

"I just don't know if it was two-thirds people or two-thirds louder" on the third vote, she said.

The flap, according to Democratic strategist and CNN political contributor Paul Begala, was "embarrassing, stupid" and "an unforced error by my party." Ari Fleischer, a former White House press secretary in the George W. Bush administration who also is a CNN contributor, said the issue reflected a split among Democrats over support for Israel.

Jim Zogby, the president of the Arab American Institute, wrote in a statement that he was "disappointed in the irregularities of the procedure."

"This effort hurts the president and it hurts chances for a lasting peace," Zogby continued. "I am, however, proud that so many delegates delivered a resounding no."

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I saw that, that was crazy.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    I saw that, that was crazy.
    I mean really! I get it...some people are atheists or whatever...but c'mon. Aside from a poorly scripted/planned start to the day this just stinks of a last minute attempt by Dems to try to shoehorn God into a pro-abortion platform and appease the Israelis.

Under criticism from Romney, the Obama camp abruptly rewrote the day-old document to insert a reference to God and to declare that Jerusalem "is and will remain the capital of Israel." Some delegates objected loudly, but Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, presiding in the largely empty hall, ruled them outvoted. White House aides said Obama had personally ordered the changes, but they did not disclose whether he had approved the earlier version.
    Last edited by jetstream23; 09-06-2012 at 12:24 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Further proof that all "God" does is cause f*cking problems.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    May he have mercy on you.

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Greeted with a chorus of No's!

They had to take the vote 3 times and then arbitrarily seemed to decide they heard more Yes than No votes.

The RNC had it's own issues with Ron Paul supporters and votes but you'd think God would be a slightly easier guest to invite to a Convention!
    I thought the no vote was against the Jerusalem thing but its hard to know for sure. What kind of a lowlife would jeer the word G-D?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    PEOPLE cause ****ing problems.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    I thought the no vote was against the Jerusalem thing but its hard to know for sure. What kind of a lowlife would jeer the word G-D?
    Who cares? Are you upset that someone jeered a character in a fairy tale? God, ha, please. God has no business in serious adult discussions let alone play a factor in governing a nation.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Who cares? Are you upset that someone jeered a character in a fairy tale? God, ha, please. God has no business in serious adult discussions let alone play a factor in governing a nation.
    I find this post hilarious.

The idea that you understand "serious adult conversation" is as big a fairy tale as any, and yhe nature of this post reveals it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    May he have mercy on you.
    He has already. Quite a bit

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    PEOPLE cause ****ing problems.
    And the G-man catches a decent buzz, sits in front of 7 billion flatscreens and laughs his holy butt off. At least that's what I would do.

God belongs in Church.

Rational fact-based policy belongs in Politics.

The esteemed physician speaks again. He on the public dole for a crappy organization.
    People believe in God. Fine. Some do not. Most do. YOU as usual are in the minority.
    The dems also booed because of Jersualem.
    The dems - hate God, hate Jews. What a platform.

Actually, YOU have no place in a serious discussion.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    I mean really! I get it...some people are atheists or whatever...but c'mon. Aside from a poorly scripted/planned start to the day this just stinks of a last minute attempt by Dems to try to shoehorn God into a pro-abortion platform and appease the Israelis.
    Religion as a platform piece seems ludicrous; the candidate's character should appease any god fearing voter. Everybody hates abortion, but it seems to have a place in society thanks to basic human nature - we...errr...you make "mistakes"; have lapses in judgement etc. Oh well.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

This is what conventions actually used to be like. The candidate wasn't decided months in advance and the platform was hashed out at the convention, after much debate and dissent.

The conventions will probably be cut down in coming years as they essentially one party after another and a tightly scripted made for TV documentary.

As I said, I don't believe a room full of people would boo and jeer the G-D reference. There aren't that many Kennyo's and PK's out there. I think they were Jeering the Jerusalem inclusion.

Jets Insider VIP
    There aren't that many Kennyo's and PK's out there.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oxTMUTOz0w

All Pro
    I think they were Jeering the Jerusalem inclusion.
    +1

All Pro
    Let's be honest here, the jeering had nothing to do with the God or Jerusalem statements at face value. It was completely based on partisan politics.

Mitt Romney made the Jerusalem statement first, and he was criticized for it by Democrats. They can't be associated with making the same statement as the other side. Party above all else.